Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...6-tokyo-day-4/

September 17, 2016

Video: Anime Shinjuku

Photos: Lunch at Butagumi, Omotesando, Tokyo, Akemi

So, that finale…

Yeah.

I’ll avoid commenting suffice it to say we are hard at work, providing answers to a few of the, uh, outstanding questions we were left with at episode’s end. And, I guarantee you – BIG answers coming your way in season 3.

But, for now, I’m still enjoying Japan with Akemi.

Yesterday, we were super lazy, sleeping in (after our 40+ piece sushi extravaganza) and only getting out of a bed a little after 7 am. Then, we headed to Tsukiji Market where I did a little Periscope session –

Tsukiji Market Periscope

Still getting the hang of these damn things. At least I know to title them before starting. Now, all I need to do is keep them to around 5 minutes – oh, and, uh, avoid saying “basically”, “actually”, and “uh” and they’ll be perfect. Stay tuned!

So, after breakfast, Akemi and I went our separate ways. Temporarily. I headed off to a regular (annual) lunch favorite of mine, Butagumi, with my friend Moro-san.

This appetizer is unbelievable and, dare I say it, the best thing on the menu: crispy pork, garlic, green onions, soy and shichimi spice. I always get a double-order.

Three types of pork – Iberico, natta-buta, and a third one I can’t remember…that was actually my favorite.

While I was at Butagumi, Akemi was in Shinjuku checking out the sights:

“There are a bunch of geek people taking pictures of this wall…”

We got together again in Omotesando where we paid another visit to La Maison de Chocolat. Not pictured – my ice cream sundae.

An ad for what looks like a new yakuza cooking show. Akemi suggests we could do our own version: “Cooking with THREE”.

Checking out the Belgian beer festival in Roppongi. Akemi stops to admire the giant fries.

The city is dotted with “kobans”, police boxes (more like kiosks). They update a daily count of the city’s injuries and fatalities.

A walk through a surprisingly quiet Harajuku yields this fabulous find: Transformer longboards.

Yesterday saw us shattering our previous step count record by racking up an impressive 25k+ steps
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...6-tokyo-day-5/

September 18, 2016

Photos: Tokyo, Akemi, dinner, Lulu, Bubba

I love Tokyo at night. The bright lights. The flashing neon. The sights. The sounds. Throw in the time difference, a touch of jet lag, and you have an almost surreal experience Anthony Bourdain once likened to the sensation of dropping acid.

After wandering about for half an hour, looking for somewhere to eat, Akemi and I finally ended up at a modest little Korean restaurant. Pictured above: Akemi stares longingly at my hot plate.

Yatta! Her salad has arrived!

x

I ordered a hunk of beef. First, they rendered the fat, then they seared the outside of the meat. Every two minutes or so, a different staff member would stroll by and give it a flip. I left the cooking to the professionals.

And voila. Served with two different dipping sauce – and the option to sear it up a little more for a well-done consistency.

Wait! Don’t go in here! We’re going to Daikanyama instead!

I love the Daikanyama neighborhood because, on any given day, you’re likely to encounter about a dozen dogs out and about. Today was no different and, although we did run into another french bulldog, our trip so far has been disappointingly pug-free.

This little guy anxiously awaiting his mom.

After lunch at one of Sushi Sawada, we decided to check out Nakana Broadway. It was billed as a one-stop-shop for all my anime needs (as opposed to the more dispersed Akihabara neighborhood) and, while I did appreciate the four floors of fun, I still prefer Electric Town!

Considering a career as a Mexican wrestler? This place has you covered.

Gigantor?

Kinniku (Muscle) Man!

Don’t recognize this guy from anything, but he was my favorite. Had a sort of rock ’em sock’ em robot feel.

Vintage astronaut?

Robotman. Of course.

Wakarimasen.

Thor? Is that you?

Randomness, a little help here identifying?

And then there were the oodles of creepy dolls…

It’s like the eyes follow you.

Following…

Still following…

Perfect for your haunted home.

The otaku Holy Grail – a mural art of over a hundred anime girls!

Finally, last night was dinner at Esquisse – another old favorite.

On the home front, sis reports that the dogs are doing fine but believes she has found the root of Lulu’s infrequent vomiting and gas. What at first we took to be the symptoms of a bad stomach is, my sister believes, is the result of her soft palate issues that cause her to breathe in water when she’s drinking. She recommends the surgery to address the issue. It’s something I’ll have to look into asap.

My poor gal.

And old boy.
      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...6-tokyo-day-6/

September 19, 2016

Video: TeamLab video

Photos: Hibiya Park, Akemi, Naka-Meguro, lunch, Joe Mallozzi, The Mori Art Museum, DC comics-themed characters, dinner at L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon

Well, I spent most of the day thinking and worrying about my french bulldog Lulu and how best to proceed with her soft palate surgery, then the other most of the day thinking and worrying about the show’s third season. In the case of the latter – I mean, sure, I know where I want to go, have worked out all of the character and story progressions, but actually getting there is always the challenge as, invariably, you get these inevitable curveballs thrown your way. It’s alway so unnecessarily complicated. It shouldn’t be but, really, welcome to show business.

But I’ll save that little rant for another time.

Tokyo! Day #5! Another 22k_ steps! We covered a lot of ground today!

Apparently, outside of Tsukiji Market, there’s not all that much to do in Tokyo early morning. Rather than hang around our hotel room, Akemi and I decided to take a walk through Hibiya Park – a little oasis in the heart of the urban mayhem.

We’ve been missing our dogs so much that we’ve resorted to pestering local dog owners for some time with their pooches. Pictured above – Akemi and her now pal.

We arrived early in Naka-Meguro, about an hour and a half before lunch, so we took a stroll through the neighborhood and came across this little dessert(ish) shop. Akemi had apparently heard about it. The shop’s owner incorporates vegetables into all her desserts in an effort to get kids to eat their veggies. A few of the menu items on display…

Not so strawberry shortcake, in which the strawberries are replaced with Japanese tomatoes and greens.

Avocado cheesecake!

And the intriguing but daunting asparagus tiramisu.

I know, I know. Perfect Weird Food Purchase of the Day potential. But I didn’t want to ruin my lunch.

We ended up at my favorite pizza join in Tokyo – Pizza Seirinkan. Your choices here are simple. You can have the Margherita. Or you can have the Marinara.

One of the cheapest meals of this trip and one of the best.

Akemi agrees.

For dessert, a stopover at Jean-Paul Hevin. Despite the triple chocolate order, our waitress professed her faith in our ability to polish them off. Her confidence in us proved well-founded.

I picked up this terrific Crayon Shin-Chan t-shirt at the T.V. Asahi store. This way, there will no longer be any confusion when I visit set.

With the entire afternoon in front of us, we decided to broaden our artistic horizons by checking out some of the local exhibits. First up: The Dali exhibition and a Venetian Renaissance Paintings exhibit at the National Art Center.

Then, we walked over to The Mori Art Museum for The Universe and Art, part of the TeamLab exhibitions Akemi was very eager to check out. This one was more her speed. Some of my highlights…

Part of artist Laurent Grasso’s Studies into the Past.

Artist Jia Aili’s “Hermit from Planet Dust”.

Jules de Balincourt: “Cosmic Chaos” and “Space Investors”.

Sorayama Hajime’s “Sexy Robot”.

Artist Neri Oxman’s “Saturn’s Wanderer”: “Saturn’s Wanderer is created to adapt to the vortex storms on Saturn. It has a large surface area that would contain bacteria that converts the planet’s hydrocarbons into edible matter.” Love it!

A little something to add to Melissa O’Neil’s wardrobe in season 3?

SEArch/Clouds AO: “Mars Ice House” – 3D printed resin model with wood base, internal light.

And then there was an amazing, full room video experience from TeamLab. A small excerpt:

With that done, we headed to Roppongi Hills for a little more walking. And I happened to come across these DC comics-themed characters –

Hey, check it out! It’s Jason Momoa!

Finally, for dinner, we went to L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon.

The sea urchin in lobster jelly with cauliflower cream to start.

And a chartreuse souffle with pistachio ice cream.

Today, we head to Akihabara – Electric Town – Anime Central – Geek Heaven.

Perhaps another Periscope coming your way?
        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...6-tokyo-day-7/

September 20, 2016

Photos: Tokyo, Akihabara, Akemi, Joe Mallozzi, dinner at Sushi Tokami

Typhoon Malakas rolled through Tokyo late last night and most of yesterday was one long wet preamble to the storm. To be honest, I didn’t mind so much. It cleared out the crowds, clearly dampening many Tokyoites enthusiasm for shopping, and also cooled things down a few degrees. Also, hey, I’m from Vancouver. I love the rain.

So, while most of Tokyo was indoors, battening down the hatches, Akemi and I braved the elements – hatches brazenly unbattened – and hit Akihabara, aka Electric Town, aka Electrical Town, aka Anime Central, aka Geek Heaven. Our two hour tour in photos –

Lots and lots for discerning, and perhaps not so discerning, anime fan to check out.

A little something for your cosplay closet.

Home decor for everyone’s tastes!

Human-size pillows for those lonely nights. I’d like mine in Olivia Wilde, please.

Creature-themed sake. Monstrously good!

Original artwork.

Neon Genesis Evangelion Gendo Ikari cookies. Bittersweet, no doubt.

I’m not sure, but I have a feeling Das will take all three.

We take a break from the action.

While walking around looking for a lunch spot, I noticed this delicious looking pizza place. What is that they’re serving up on that woman’s back? Rosemary, cranberries, and fontina cheese?

Tonight, we had dinner at Sushi Tokami whose young chef has been wowing locals with his inventive, sometimes brazen ways. Like offering paper thin sliced onions as a side dish. Or serving uni two ways, raw and cooked, in the same bite. And ending the meal with a unique take on the traditional tamago, served brûlée style.

Can I just say how much I love sake. My good friend Ivon Bartok will vouch for this. I’m not a wine guy, enjoy the rare beer, and even whisky is one (okay, maybe two) drink max. But sake… You know, what’s amazing? How a mere two bottles can loosen up the storylines knotted in my head, allowing me to more effectively piece together the grand narrative puzzle I’ve designed. As I’ve often said, I know where I’m going but, occasionally, figuring out how to get there is the challenge. But, after last night, two big Holy ****! character backstory elements snapped clearly into place. But more of that in season 3.

Or, more specifically, Episodes 7 and 12.
          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...6-tokyo-day-8/

September 21, 2016

Photos: Tokyo Snoopy museum, Joe Mallozzi, dinner at Teatrino Da Salo, Moro-san

“Blow a gasket”. I’d always heard that quaint turn of phrase but could never really envision it, or apply it to my life…until this morning when I woke up to an email that made me, well, “blow a gasket”. I mean, holy ****. Really? REALLY??? I am presently seething and should progress to a nice little simmer by the time I return to Canada, then a full blown boil the week after.

Anyway…

Yesterday, we checked out the Dali, Venetian Renaissance Painters, and TeamLab exhibitions. Today, our Tokyo museum tour continued with a visit to…

The sole satellite Snoopy museum outside of California.

Although my sister was the big Snoopy fan growing up (and still is), the Peanuts gang still holds a special place in my heart. Not quite Flintstones and 1967 Spiderman cartoon level – but still.

The tickets were vintage comic strips from this day in Peanuts history.

The entry room featured video displays, photos of Charles M. Schulz, his family and various dogs, and this giant 3D art piece…

Actually made up of hundreds of comic strips.

From there, we were ushered into a second room to watch a four minute intro to the Peanuts comic strip and the museum.

Then, we moved onto another room featuring a history of the Peanuts comic strip.

The next room held hundreds of vintage Peanuts toys, sketches, and cells. Boy, it took me back.

We finished off with a visit to the gift shop…

I dropped about $50 on strictly Snoopy-related merch. My sis in for a treat!

The Men’s Room.

If you’re feeling munchy, there’s a Peanuts-themed eatery, The Blanket Cafe, as well as a Peanuts-themed food truck.

I’m on vacation.

On our walk back to the subway, I stop to take a photo of this giant silver crab.

And, on our work through Omotesando, snapped a photo of one of my favorite structures in Tokyo – the Prada Building.

I then headed off and met up with my friend Moro-san for lunch. I was having a fine time…until they ran out of the dessert I requested. Sensing my disappointment, Moro-san took me to a cafe in Ginza where she ordered one of the most hideous desserts I’ve ever seen. Ingredients included beer jelly, black truffles, dill, and parsley.

Hey! It’s my new favorite Japan character – Gudetama. He’s an egg!

Dinner was at Teatrino Da Salo and featured an Italian multi-course extravaganza.

Consider me suitably wowed.

Sayanora to my friend Moro-san. Farewell for another year. Mata a****a!
            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...6-tokyo-day-9/

September 22, 2016

Photos: Hiromi, pistachio cream puff, Akemi, samurai armor

Today marks our last full day in Japan. Tomorrow, we head back to Canada and I have very mixed feelings about that.

Yesterday, we met up with Akemi’s sister, Hiromi, at Tokyo Midtown. While waiting for her to show, I ate one of the largest pistachio cream puffs I’ve ever encountered.

It was…indescribably good. I was even thinking about ordering a second but Akemi suggested I just share with her sister. Share? SHARE?!!! Upon her sister’s arrival, she elected to go with the pistachio cream puff as well but, as I’d hoped, insisted she couldn’t possibly eat the whole thing.

Then went ahead and ate the whole. thing.??

The Aota sisters, a contrast in styles.

From Midtown, we headed back to Ginza where we checked out more dessert stops, a toy store, various tableware (I’m thinking of getting myself a dedicated sake cup because I think I’m going to need it), and a kimono shop.

Akemi and friend.

At one point, Akemi was browsing the purse section at one of the high end shops when the sales lady tried to sell her on a clutch she was considering…

Her: It’s not unreasonable. It’s less than two thousand dollars.

Akemi’s eyes widen.

Her: It’s also great for instagram!

Ah, now THIS is more my speed. And just in time for Halloween!

Last night, we had a magnificent meal at L’effervescence. It was Akemi’s first time and she loved it!

On tap for today – a final round of sushi, shopping and, possibly, sweets.
              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ayanora-japan/

September 23, 2016

Photos: Joe's last day in japan, Akemi, dinner at Sushi Taichi, Star Bar, Joe Mallozzi, Yoshida-san, Toshiba-san

Well, it’s been a fun two weeks in Japan and, while I’d hoped the time away would prove restful, I’m actually more wound up and stressed out now than I was upon my arrival two weeks ago. My bid to “get away from it all” proved fabulously unsuccessful. And so I’ll return, vexed, seething, and extremely cantankerous. Woe to those who choose to get on my bad side. I’m gearing up for battle!

Or, if you prefer the classics…

Let’s do this!

Well, for our last day of fun, Akemi and I hit a bunch of places…

And early(ish) morning walk through Tsukiji. Check out the levels of marbling on that wagyu!

Soba lunch in Omotesando at a restaurant that was nowhere near as popular as the others in the neighborhood with their snaking lines, but was delicious nevertheless.

A little shopping in Ginza.

A terrific final dinner at Sushi Taichi, located down a dark, sketchy-looking alley in Ginza.

Then, hey, just like old times! A stopover at Star Bar for a drink.

Yoshida-san recognized me despite my three year absence.

Then, a short walk to Star Bar’s second Ginza location, Star Bar Ties where our old friend Yamasaki-san was helming the bar.

We cap our evening with a late night snack in the form of sake-kasu cheesecake in a cup. We had six to choose from, eventually going with the one described as: “Sweet and refreshing flavor. And a lot of females like it.” (according to Akemi). Winner!

Another farewell – this one to Toshiba-san who has been taking great care of us at the hotel for many years.

Okay, off for lunch at Chikuyotei, one of Akemi’s favorite eel restaurants, then check-out, the 90 minute ride to the airport, the two hour wait to board, the eight and a half hour flight, and, finally, back in Vancouver for 9:35 a.m. (1:35 a.m. Tokyo time) refreshed and ready to start my day!

Today’s entry is dedicated to blog regular maggiemayday. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
                sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...6-back-in-van/

September 24, 2016

Video: Akemi

Photos: Last meal in Tokyo, first meal in Vancouver, Wasabi KitKats, Lulu, Bubba, Akemi

My last meal in Tokyo was an unagi don at Chikuyotei in Ginza.

My first meal in Vancouver was duck confit, buttermilk biscuit, with onion gravy and a fried egg at Mission in Kitsilano.

And their crazy-delicious french toast.

Then, over to Beta5 for a Butter Beer Sundae: chocolate stout ice cream, butterscotch ripple ice cream, chocolate wand casting a cotton candy spell, feathers of owl, wizard’s hat, chocolate cake, vanilla chantilly.

A little something I picked up at Narita Airport – Wasabi KitKats. Surprisingly subtle – and tasty!

Akemi excitedly awaiting her luggage.

The dogs model their new stuff! Lulu in her new bomber jacket…

Bubba sports his new backpack –

Double trouble –

Akemi and Bubba, reunited!

Now, it’s Bubba’s turn to go on vacation –

I’m exhausted.

Tomorrow, I start reviewing script notes. Hurray.
                  sigpic

Comment

Remembering Nolamom on her birthday

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...onts-and-dogs/

September 25, 2016

Photos: Lulu, Bubba, snow monkeys

So, what do you NOT want to see in Dark Matter’s third season?

I always get requests for the things fans WANT to see in the show but rarely do I ever hear about what fans DON’T want to see…until after the fact. So, weigh in. I’m asking. I’m curious because at the beginning of every season, there will often be some…creative disagreement. I like to think that, having spent 15+ years of my television career writing and producing SF television, I have a fair notion of what scifi fans do NOT want to see. BUT – I could be wrong. So here’s your chance to confirm my suspicions…or set me straight. Please leave your rejections and repudiations in the comments section.

The long overdue doggy update…

We first noticed that something was up with Lulu when we used to go to the dog park. Whenever she would hit a gravely pitch, she’d drag her hind quarters as if paralyzed. It would only happen on gravel so I didn’t give it much thought. But gradually, we noticed she had started to slow down and didn’t seem as enthusiastic about her walks as she used to. We brought her to the vet and then a neurologist in Toronto, and neither could pinpoint a problem. Maybe it was old age. But then, a couple of months ago, at a french bulldog meet-up, someone informed me that these movements could be an indication of some neural abnormality and I should really get a second opinion. So, we did, visiting another neurologist whose initial tests suggested, yes, it could be a neural issue. We’re set up for another round of tests. Tomorrow, Lulu will go under a mild anesthetic so the clinic can do some x-rays, an ultrasound, and run some bloodwork. If the initial findings warrant, she’ll undergo an MRI soon after. And, if the MRI confirms the initial suspicions, she’ll have to undergo surgery – which can hopefully be scheduled before our return to Toronto, next Tuesday. While under general anesthetic, she may also have corrective surgery on her soft palate because we’ve noticed she’s been having trouble breathing lately, occasionally having to sit up a few times a night to catch her breath.

Last year, Bubba had a lump removed from his head. The initial biopsy suggested it was malignant but a post-surgical analysis revealed it was benign. Then, a couple of months ago, we noticed a couple of new lumps on his head. The vet, again, suggested we have them removed so we scheduled surgery at a local clinic. Days later, we noticed a lump on his leg. We had that tested as well and the results of that proved inconclusive – but it was strongly recommended that we have that lump removed as well while he was in for the surgery. So, we requested the vet forward the information and request to the clinic. They said they would. But it was only after Bubba’s surgery that we discovered the information was sent after the fact. The lump was not removed. We were referred to an oncologist who suggested Bubba be given an anti-cancer vaccine – but only after he goes in for an ultrasound (Tuesday) to make the situation isn’t any worse.

To those wondering about my Snow Monkeys, they are headed to a blistering 0-3 record in fantasy football league play. A combination of bad drafting, poor management decisions, and plain bad play have all contributed to our anemic start. It’s been truly a team effort.
                      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-and-the-dogs/

September 26, 2016

Photos: Birthday invitation, Lulu, Bubba

You know what I hate? More than being late? More than driving around, looking for parking? Even more than the New England Patriots? Rewrites. I was a notorious rewrite-hater back in the Stargate days, so much so that years after Paul and I had stopped co-writing, we still shared script credits because, while I was writing most of the originals, he was doing ALL of the rewrites and it was only fair.

Despite what executives will tell you, there is no such as a “small rewrite” because, if you’ve done your job properly, you will have crafted every scene, each dialogue run, in a smooth progression, inexorably building toward a conclusive payoff. Remove or change one piece, and the entire structure risks collapsing like a Jenga structure. There are no small rewrites. Only rewrites. And even bigger rewrites.

[Interesting fact. If you do a google image search for “hate rewrites”, roughly 30 of those first 110 results will link back to this blog.]

Having said all that, I’m about halfway through the rewrite on Episode 301 and it’s actually coming along quite nicely. EP Jay Firestone’s notes were pretty good and I was able to address all of his issues and implement most of his suggestions. Hopefully, I’ll finish up tomorrow after which it’ll be smoooth sailing…until the next rewrite.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in with their opinions on what they did NOT want to see in Dark Matter’s third season. 80+ comments so far and counting!

Hey, remember when you were in elementary school and you had a falling out with a classmate? And they’d do something petty like not invite you to their birthday party BUT invite your best friend in an attempt to curry favor with them? Well, this kinda happened to me. TODAY! I **** you not. My response was stunned bemusement. Seriously? Are we suddenly eight year olds again?

Well, tomorrow’s the day! For Bubba, it’ll be blood work, an ultrasound, and an anti-cancer vaccine. For Lulu, it’s a chest x-ray, an MRI, a catscan, and an uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (say THAT three times fast!). Wish ’em luck!
                        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-doggy-update/

September 27, 2016

Photos: Bubba, Lulu, 3D image of a section of a pug’s thoracic spine, ghost pepper chili, fantasy football league

Whew. What an exhausting day spent dealing with an avalanche of issues: dogs, Dark Matter, banking, and bills.

Bubba went in for some follow-up tests: a physical examination, an ultrasound, and some fine needle aspirations of his lymph nodes – as well as another growth on his leg. All this on the heels of a surgery that saw the removal of two masses on his head, one of which was apparently cause for alarm since it crossed over into the malignant category. The concern was two-fold. First is the possibility of a recurrence of the growths. A way to forestall that would be to go ahead and remove a much larger section of the previously affected area – which would, ultimately, include his right ear. We elected not to go for this more aggressive procedure and, instead, yes I’m going to say it – play it by year. The second issue was the possibility that other areas of his body had been compromised. Fortunately, all of the results came back clean, much to my relief (and Akemi’s who ended up wiping away her nervous tears on the back of my shirt). They went ahead and gave Bubba an anti-cancer vaccine which we’ll need to follow up with once we’re back in Toronto.

Speaking of Toronto, it looks like Hog Town will have to wait a week as our scheduled Vancouver departure October 4th will now be the date of Lulu’s surgery. Our girl is suffering from rear leg ataxia and, according to today’s tests, her MRI is abnormal at the T11/12 vertebrae where the area has seen some deterioration that, if left untreated, will eventually result in full paralysis. As a result, and because the procedure is tricky, we’re going to wait until Tuesday for the lab to send back a 3D imaging of the affected area before proceeding with surgery.

Above, a 3D imagining of a section of a pug’s thoracic spine.

All this to say, I’ve had to completely re-juggle our travel schedule. Instead of all of us traveling the morning of October 4th, Lulu will be undergoing surgery on that day. Then, two days later, I will fly solo to Toronto the afternoon of Thursday, October 6th. I’ll hopefully get in some preliminary meetings, spend Thanksgiving with mom and sis, then fly back the early afternoon of Monday, October 10th. The following morning, October 11th, the entire family flies back to Toronto.

And so, the better part of my day was spent talking to specialists and driving to and from appointments with specialists. I also got in some writing – and finished my rewrite of 301. A few patchy spots which I’ll go over tomorrow, but all in all it’s going to be a great opener. You’re gonna love it!

As for the banking and bills all I’ll say is: “Isn’t online banking supposed to make things easier?”.

Of note – today, I tried the ghost pepper chili my sister and Daisy brought over from their garden in Montreal…

So, what was the verdict?

Pretty freakin’ hot! This despite the fact I removed all the seeds and consumed it in quarters accompanied with bread, butter, and avocado. Interestingly enough, I had a much rougher time last night when, while eating a batch of mild-to-medium shi****o peppers I noticed a larger, multi-colored variety that found its way into the batch. I popped it into my mouth, not even giving it a second thought, and the second I swallowed it, I started hiccuping uncontrollably. For a good twenty minutes.

Meanwhile, on the fantasy football front, my Snow Monkeys fell to 0-3. Trailing my opponent by 31 points going into the Monday night game, we rallied and came storming back, closing the gap…

Well, almost –

Tomorrow, let’s talk Dark Matter!
                          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...tter-season-3/

September 28, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter

Well, perfect timing! Guess what hits Netflix on my birthday? That’s right! Dark Matter season 2, all 13 incredible episodes, from Hyperion-8 to EOS-7, will be available for your viewing pleasure on October 16th. What better way to spend the special day than by binge-watching the show!

Review your favorite episodes! Catch up on what you missed! And prepare for an even crazier, team-focused, action-driven, suspense and surprise-filled third season in which you’ll learn…

The fate of our crew following the destruction of EOS-7.

A shocking revelation about FIVE’s past.

The truth behind White Dwarf Technologies’ prototype project and the mysterious black entity.

A shocking revelation about SIX’s past.

Who traveled over to our reality aboard the alt. Marauder.

A surprising secret FIVE has been keeping from the rest of the crew.

Where Lieutenant Anders’ allegiances lie.

A shocking revelation about TWO’s past.

The whereabouts of Victor and his fellow rebel Androids.

The shocking revelation about THREE’s past that RYO/FOUR was keeping from him in our season finale.

The shocking truth about the Android’s origins.

To name but a select few of the stories we’ve got in the works for you.

Let the guesswork begin!
                            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...apan-round-up/

September 29, 2016

Photos: The Japan Round-up

Posting all the pics that didn’t make the blog while I was in Japan…

We visited a “space” exhibit in Ginza. This paper cut-out display challenged you to discover three contrary cut-outs in the crowd: a child, a woman with an umbrella, and a cat. I found the woman with the umbrella and think I spotted the kid, but no luck with that cat.

Part of the same exhibit.

Tokyo’s interesting architecture.

Subway warnings. Watch those kids! And drunks!

Some of the goodies at Dandelion chocolate in Tokyo.

Me, ready for chocolate-making action.

Ramen stop.

The true 4D experience rumbling, wind, and scent. I’ll leave it to you to provide the requisite tie-in joke.

Umeda station isn’t named after the plum.

Osaka at night

Osaka during the day.

Akemi just can’t resist.

We spotted quite a few of these circular dead vegetations outside several izakayas. No idea what they were.

My friend at the farmer’s market – TamaNegiAtama!

Another farmer’s market friend – he of the spicy pepper powder.

Some Osaka shopping.

Avocado tofu – surprisingly good. As is most of the tofu in Japan compared to what we get in North America.

Osaka fish market where you can just stop, point, and have it raw or cooked.

Selfie-er’s beware!

My take-out meal on the shinkansen. Heavy on the fried stuff!

Waiting under the giant spider.

Green velour pants in Ginza.

Some…interesting accessories – Ginza.

Chef Masa (Sushisho Masa) is a huge fan of the anime One Piece. Some of the restaurant’s bathroom decorations.

One of the colorful dishes at Esquisse.

Dessert at Esquisse.

Kumamon, the mascot of Kumamoto prefecture. And Akemi.

Fresh fruit convenience machine. Looks pretty popular.

Doggy bentos.

One of Hiroo’s popular eateries.

More of Tokyo’s interesting architecture.

Interesting window display – Omotesando.

Akemi, thrilled to be at Pizza Seirinkan.

Pina Colada-inspired dessert at L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon.

Akemi watched Angry Birds on the plane and insisted I watch it because the main character reminds her of me.

Scallops at Benoit.

Akemi and I got matching Gudetama t-shirts. They reflect my current mood.

Tokyo bakeries are insane.

One of the weirdest desserts of the trip. Ingredients included black truffles, parsley, and dill. Very interesting – in a horrible horrible way.
                              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-mean-come-on/

September 30, 2016

Photos: Comixology, Rebellion, Judge Dredd

Seriously?

I’m a fairly easy person to get along with. Pleasant. Professional. Respectful. I chew with my mouth closed. I make others feels appreciated. I know a lot of yellers who, unfairly or not, get **** done. I, on the other hand, am not a yeller – yet get **** done all the same. Despite the preponderance of successful *******s, I firmly believe you don’t need to be one in order to succeed. And yet, one of the things successful *******s have going is that people rarely **** with them. Oh sure, they are resented, even hated, bad-mouthed for sure, but it’s rare that people attempt to cross them because they know that if they do, things are gonna get ugly and stay ugly for a long, loooong time. Not so with the nice guy. Nice guys have an affability that is often misconstrued as weakness, a seemingly inexhaustible patience, an apparent green light to take advantage. There’s the erroneous assumption that they won’t push back at all the tiny encroachments, the “Hey, I didn’t check with you first but figured you wouldn’t minds”, because they prefer to avoid confrontation. And, while that may be true, here’s the thing. It’s a preference. And there is a point, a critical mass, beyond which the nice, pleasant, professional, respectful, individual gets fed up and does become confrontational. And I’m not talking a “Let’s sit down and air our grievances” pseudo-therapy session. I’m talking the suffer-no-fools, brook-no-bull****, take-no-prisoners confrontation that strips the paint off the walls and makes you wish for the existence of a time machine so that you can go back and kill Hitler, play the winning lottery numbers but, most importantly, reconsider ever pissing off Mr. Nice Guy.

I’m a big fan of Comixology, your one stop shop for over 7500 digital comics. I love their wide range of titles, their bundle sales, their storehouse of classic stories and single issues otherwise inaccessible to those of modest means. What I DON’T like about Comixology is the fact that you cannot download your purchases. You can view them online, but you can’t store them on your laptop to, say, watch on an internet-less flight. On the other hand…

I just downloaded a bunch of graphic novels from Rebellion in the U.K. and look forward to working my way through some classic Judge Dredd on the 5 hour flight to Toronto (then back to Vancouver, then back to Toronto again). Any of you fans? Have some particular storylines you’d like to recommend?

P.S. I really enjoyed the Judge Dredd movie. No, not the crap version starring Sylvester Stallone. I’m talking about Dredd, the version starring Karl Urban.

P.P.S. Why hasn’t anyone developed a Judge Dredd t.v. series? Hmmmmm.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X