Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...eople-to-kill/

August 19, 2016

Videos: Dark Matter “Stuff To Steal, People To Kill” sneak peek

Photos: Dark Matter

A sneak peek at tonight’s episode:

Et encore, mais cet fois en Francais:

Ad another sneak peek for you:

Pay close attention to tonight’s episode! Plenty of clues related to past episodes, and hints as to what’s to come!
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...and-reactions/

August 20, 2016

Video: Dark Matter 2x08 - Geeksiders review

Well, that was fun. I have a lot to offer up on this episode in the coming days – script and production insights, BTS pics, deleted dialogue – but, for now, I turn this blog over to everyone who took the time to respond with some well thought-out reviews of “Stuff To Steal, People To Kill”:

Dark Matter 208 Review: Old Faces, New Enemies by Tom Gardiner at Three If By Space

“Okay, I’m going to start my Dark Matter 208 review by saying this was easily my favorite episode ever. This may not be the last time I say those words, but the Dark Matter gang are going to have to work pretty darned hard to top themselves after this one. “

Dark Matter Takes A Vacation to the Multiverse in “Stuff to Steal, People to Kill” by Jen Stayrook at The Workprint

“Maybe it’s my affinity for fan fiction, but I LOVE stories that involve a parallel universe. Taking characters we know and love and flipping them around because of one change in the timeline gets me all gooey inside.”

Dark Matter – Stuff To Steal, People To Kill – Review: “A Tale Of Two Raza’s” + POLL

“In all of my years of television watching I’ve seen a ton of alternate universe episodes of shows and I can’t recall a single one that was as tightly written and perfectly executed as this episode.”

A Sashurai’s Review: Dark Matter – Season 2×08 (Stop me if you heard this, two androids walk into a Raza…) by Sashurai at Blade of the Sashurai

“A delightful venture into experimental technology results in Dark Matter’s first profound arc into the sub-plot of parallel dimensions. Not withstanding a few kinks in the hull, this episode collectively straddles the space-fence with a fresh plot and sees the return of characters long distant from the series.”

“Dark Matter is back in its groove as the payoffs from earlier episodes come about in a satisfying, logical, and well-paced manner…” by Michael Ahr at Den of Geek

Dark Matter: Stuff to Steal, People to Kill – Another Shocker by Michael Knox-Smith at Mike’s Film Talk

“Dark Matter flew into parallel worlds in “Stuff to Steal and People to Kill.” Mallozzi and Mullie continue to throw fans off balance. This time by “punching a hole” in space time.”

“For something that you looked at as just another op in the previous episode of Dark Matter at first, it really shook up your perception of where things are going. And just when you were starting to figure things out…” by Jideobi Odunze at Geeked Out Nation

“There’s something so inherently tantalizing about alternate-reality episodes in sci-fi. Dark Matter Season 2 Episode 8 doesn’t spend a ton of time contemplating the philosophical implications at all, but the actors sure had fun…” by Kathleen Wiebel at TV Fanatic

Veronica Scott recaps Dark Matter episode ‘Stuff to Steal, People to Kill’: Let’s visit a parallel universe

“I thoroughly enjoy the varied and creative ways the writers have taken this season to show us what truly nasty and unpleasant people the crew of the Raza were before Five wiped all their memories.”

“We loved this week’s exploration of parallel universes. The writers have set up an alternate version of the crew that they could potentially use again in the future, and we love that prospect…” by Christopher Hart at The Nerd Recites

Geeksiders Josh and Anna weigh in:
      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...t-staff-picks/

August 21, 2016

I’m taking a break from the writing to do a little a lot of reading. Although I fell behind earlier this year, what with the demands of production, I’m pleased to report I’m back on track to well exceed my goal of 100 books in 2016. I read anything and everything – genre, graphic novels, non-fiction, bestsellers – and typically put together a “Best Of” list at year’s end. 2014, for instance, was a fantastic reading year –

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...books-of-2014/

with a slew of recommended reads.

2015, sadly, was not.

When selecting books, I try to cast wide net, relying on everything from book shop recommendations to impulse buys to award nominees. This year, I’ve really tried to focus on 2016 releases, short fiction and novels, so that, when I offer up my list of the year’s best reads, I can honestly do so from a well-informed position. Ultimately, I end up recommending works in various categories that, perhaps not surprisingly, fail to make the short lists for many of the big name awards.

Check out my 2015 favorites here:

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...award-winners/

There’s nothing better than a really great book. And, quite frankly, I don’t even mind the occasional bad book. It’s true and let me explain why. Given the choice, I’d prefer a truly terrible book to a mediocre book because, in the case of the former, I can quickly identify it as a crap read and immediately set it aside. Books in the latter category, however, are big unmemorable time-wasters. And, unfortunately, the majority of the titles out there fall into this category – which is why good recommendations are so important.

Nothing makes me angrier than ****ty reading recommendations. I’m the guy who will walk into chain bookstores so that I can peruse the staff picks and subsequently track down the individual staff members to call them on their crap picks. Once subjected to a little scrutiny, they invariably crack, often declaring they never actually read their picks but insisting the reviews were “great!”, or shamefully admitting they were simply following marching orders from head office. It really depends on the bookstore I suppose.

Earlier this season, I walked onto set one morning to discover actress Melanie Liburd reading a book that had been nominated for a prestigious Canadian literary award. I immediately recognized the book because, a month earlier, I’d been foolish enough to check it out based on the fact that it had been nominated for a prestigious Canadian literary award.

“How’re you enjoying the book?”I asked.

Not all that much as it turned out. And I wasn’t surprised. Apparently, she’d gone into one of Toronto’s local hipster douchebag bookshops and had someone there recommend it to her because, well, it had been nominated for a prestigious Canadian literary award. I was so annoyed that I left set to go back to my office, retrieved my emergency copy of Jeanette Walls’ The Glass Castle (one of several titles I keep stocked for just such emergency situations. Other “In Case of **** Reading Break Glass” titles include: Camp Concentration, The First Law Series, The Empire of Ice Cream, Old Man’s War, Saga vol. 1, The Man Who Ate Everything, City of Thieves, Fool, We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, The Rosie Project, The Princess Bride, Me Talk Pretty One Day, A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Speed of Dark, Afterlife with Archie, the first three books in the Ice and Fire series, The Player of Games, The Lies of Locke Lamorra, The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, Misery, Flowers for Algernon, This is Where I Leave You, Stories of Your Life and Others, Childhood’s End, and The Psychopath Test) and gave it to her. She loved it. I don’t recall what happened to that other book. I think I might have tossed it.

Just as bad as big box bookstore head office staff recommendations are “Best Of” picks that suspiciously include novels written by editors or fellow writers from the site hosting said “Best Of” article. Sure. Maybe they are deserving, but it looks sketchy as **** and, unfortunately, undermines the credibility of your selections.

Instead, I’ve been increasingly relying on the following as proven sources of solid recommendations:

Rocket Stack Rank: This site offers up monthly aggregate ratings of stories (short, novelettes, and novellas) with short synopses and estimated reading times for each along with links to online reading copies.

Reddit is a great source for recommendations as well. Subreddits I regularly check out include: science fiction, scifi, books, and comic books.

My favorite local bookshops: White Dwarf Books and The Book Warehouse.

So, how has YOUR summer reading been coming along? Any books YOU’D recommend?
        sigpic

Comment

August 22, 2016 - Part 1

As I mentioned in a previous post, two my favorite sub-genres of SF television are AU (alternate universe) and time travel. They both allow us to shed light on our characters, and the show’s world, in ways we wouldn’t normally be permitted within the established narrative. “Stuff To Steal, People To Kill”, for instance, answers a few outstanding questions, some going as far back as our very first episode, while also teeing up a bunch of future storylines as well. There was A LOT going on in this episode and I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if you may have missed a few crucial tidbits even on second and third viewing (which is de rigueur for every episode of Dark Matter).

First off, can I just say what a fantastic job VFX Supervisor (and Dark Matter Supervising Producer) Lawren Bancroft-Wilson is doing this year. That shot of The Raza moving through the debris from the destroyed space station? Wow. Kudos to Lawren and his VFX team, with FUSEFX at the forefront, delivering some truly spectacular visuals this season, from The Raza’s atmospheric entry and landing to…well, the finale. Great, great stuff!

Earlier this season, someone was asking about ship to ship battles. Specifically, why hadn’t we seen any yet? Well, we’ve seen some pretty good ones so far this season, once again thanks to LBW and co. Always fun to see The Raza in action but, in particular, to check out how far the ship has come in its level of detailing.

Android: “A slight variance in the temperature of the cosmic microwave background suggests an extremely unusual possibility.”

I received a fair amount of love for this theoretical conjecture on the part of the Android, but must give credit where credit is due. When crafting a hypothetical explanation for the inter-universe jump, I consulting with the experts – in this case, former Stargate science tech advisor Mika McKinnon who stepped up with the assist (GeoMika).

One of my very favorite guest stars, Torri Higginson, reprises her role as the opportunistic Commander Delaney Truffault. The character was originally supposed to meet her end in Episode 11 of the show’s first season, but a scheduling conflict and some serious reconsideration of her role in the grand scheme of things saved her. When it came time to casting the role I knew Torri would be great – but her performance surpassed my lofty expectations. She played Truffault with such sass and bemused confidence that I instantly fell in love. And, boy oh boy, that shot of her swaggering down the corridor of The Raza after she takes out FOUR and SIX? Perfection.

The crew’s research uncovers intriguing tidbits of information, hints of what could have been and clues to what may come…

There’s a corporate war in full swing, something that has only been hinted at back in our reality.

The war finds its roots in long-standing corporate conflicts, but was seemingly sparked by the destruction of a space station, EOS-7, during a summit attended by representatives from the various corporations as well as the League of Autonomous Worlds.

Ferrous Corp is suspected as being the culprit behind the station’s destruction, although they have steadfastly denied the charge. Oh, hey, Commander Nieman!

Kal Varrick (SIX’s alter-ego) uploaded a virus to the ship’s computer before going into stasis, one that would disable The Raza, thus rendering it “dead in space” (see Episode 1).

He has arranged for the ship to emit a subspace distress call to make it easier to track (see Episode 1).

The Raza’s security system is an Android who can be take offline with a verbal shutdown command.

If the Android perceives an insurmountable threat, she is programmed to wipe the ship’s data stores (see Episode 1).

We learn that The Raza paid a recent visit to the headquarters of Dwarf Star Technologies, killing over two hundred company personnel including company CEO Alexander Rook (see Episode…oh, it won’t be long).

The script’s first draft included another scene, a file SIX accesses prior to the video of his death…

He double-clicks, bringing up various sub-files (SERVICE, MISSIONS, RECORD, COMMENDATIONS) including the one he clicks on: DEATH. We switch to a deposition video – Commander Tarvis of the Galactic Authority (last seen in Episode 106)is being questioned.

COMMANDER TARVIS: He was our best agent up until the incident on Hydaum-12. That mission – it changed him. Though, in all fairness, over ten thousand lives lost – it would’ve changed anyone.

She fields an unintelligible O.S. question –

COMMANDER TARVIS: He requested a leave of absence and we gave it to him. I honestly wasn’t sure he’d ever come back – but he did, six months later. And requested the toughest assignment on book. In retrospect, I should’ve turned him down. He wasn’t ready.

Unintelligible O.S. question –

COMMANDER TARVIS: He went undercover to bring in the crew of the outlaw ship, The Raza.

Unintelligible O.S. question –

COMMANDER TARVIS: He was murdered while sending a data burst back to G.A. Central Command. He died on camera. The visual evidence was logged as part of the inquest into –

SIX freezes the video, enters another sequence, bringing up another video.

This reality’s Ishida Ryo has retaken the throne of Zairon with the help of his step-brother, Hiro, and other loyal agents within the court.

To quote actress Melissa O’Neil on the Portia-Boone “sexy time” scene: “My butt clenched reading it.”
          sigpic

Comment

August 22, 2016 - Part 2

Some awesome twinning sequences in this episode. Kudos again to VFX Supervisor Lawren Bancroft-Wilson and director Andy Mikita. Find out how they pulled it off here: The Fine Art of Twinning

Bring on the bad guys! One of my biggest regrets of season 1 was the loss of Wexler and Tash, two psychotic but colorful mercs who met their spectacular ends back in Episode 10. Well, here was an opportunity to bring them back – along with the duplicitous Jace Corso. Scheduling was a huge challenge here as all three actors – Ennis Esmer, Jessica Sipos, and Marc Bendavid – had other commitments we needed to work around. But, thankfully, we were able to make it work in the end and all three delivered delightfully diabolical performances.

Since the episode was running long, we had to cut some dialogue for time. FOUR’s conversation with the captive Portia and Boone offered a little more insight into Blink Drive’s workings in the script…

Portia and Boone are on their feet when he enters.

PORTIA: You didn’t account for temporal displacement. That’s why you and the rest of your crew are here. You tested the drive without making the proper adjustments.

Off FOUR –

PORTIA: So instead of going from point A to point B in your universe, you punched a hole in the fabric of space-time and ended up here in ours.

FOUR: We didn’t know we had to make those changes to the drive.

PORTIA: Didn’t the scientist you tortured tell you?

FOUR: We didn’t torture a scientist.

BOONE: Rookie mistake. You ARE different from the Ishida we know.

And, oh yeah, we also find out a little more about this reality’s ongoing conflict between Zairon and the Republic of Pyr…

PORTIA: After EOS-7, the corporations backing Pyr had bigger things to worry about than some regional conflict. They pulled their support and we took advantage, targeting your homeworld’s enemy and destroying their fleet.

BOONE: And Zairon welcomed you back with open arms.

Jace Corso’s launching of the nuclear missile, with TWO still on the planet, is a tip of the hat to the AU machinations in Star Trek: The Original Series’ classic “Mirror, Mirror”.

It’s TWO and Tash Round #2 in one of the greatest fights the show has done to date. Let’s give it up for stunt coordinator John Stead, director Andy Mikita, editor Teresa Hannigan, actresses Melissa O’Neil and Jessica Sipos, and their stunt doubles.

Commander Truffault’s double-cross and taking of The Raza results in an exchange between her and TWO that was a little meatier in the director’s cut…

TWO: I thought we had a deal.

COMMANDER TRUFFAULT: We did – a deal you never had any intention of following through on. We both know that. So here’s the new deal: the lives of your crew in exchange for the drive.

TWO hesitates. Beat.

COMMANDER TRUFFAULT: Look at the big picture. You just need it to get home. We need it to save millions of lives by putting an end to a war that has ravaged this reality for years.

TWO: By winning it? How long is that going to take? Ferrous Corp had the drive on their side in this conflict, and you’re still fighting.

COMMANDER TRUFFAULT: I’d argue our enemy didn’t make the most efficient use of a very valuable asset. They also made a mistake by letting your counterparts keep it.

TWO: I’m guessing they didn’t have a choice.

COMMANDER TRUFFAULT: Probably not. Still, it’s hard to win a war when you’re relying on an ally who thrives on chaos. (beat) Look – this universe or your own, what difference does it make? What the hell’s really waiting for you back there?

TWO: Our own mess.

COMMANDER TRUFFAULT: (sighs) Your people in exchange for the drive. So, what’s it going to be?

The final goodbye twinning sequence was, in a word, a nightmare. Director Andy Mikita had planned to shoot the entire thing as a oner, one continuous shot that followed TWO over to a waiting Alt Android and Portia, captured their exchange, then ended on our originals as the doubles left the shot. And it almost all went according to plan. Andy carefully planned the shot. He informed the cast and crew. We ordered the special equipment required which arrived..MINUS a crucial piece that made shooting the sequence all but impossible. They persevered but, when it came time to assemble the cut, it was clear the eyelines were not matching up. Most baffling was the fact that the Androids were surprisingly way off in their exchange. We couldn’t figure it out until VFX Supervisor Lawren Bancroft-Wilson realized our new Android outfit includes boots with heels that add another three inches or so. As a result, the entire sequence had to be reshot in the Episode 210 schedule.

A couple of notes on this scene…

Melissa O’Neil loved Portia Lin’s coat so much (she was almost reduced to tears during her fitting) that I rewrote this scene so that her character could actually keep it.

When we originally broke this story, we’d planned for our crew to take the AU Alt Raza back to they reality with them, but ultimately decided against it because it complicated some of the developments we had planned later on down the line.

There’s this exchange between the androids that many of you picked up on:

ALT ANDROID: My presence on the other Raza would be redundant. Besides, my loyalty is to my original crew – and Portia in particular. I owe her a debt of gratitude.

Our Android finds this curious –

ANDROID: For what?

ALT ANDROID: For making me more.

The episode that offers the backstory on this one is going to blow your minds!

With the change in Raza’s, I ended up losing a scene from the original draft that opened with this preamble:

FOUR steps onto the bridge to find the Android standing there, listening to a discordant new age MUSIC that plays over the speakers. She notices him and the music automatically LOWERS.

FOUR: What are you doing?

ANDROID: While going through the new Raza’s database, I discovered a music library. I thought it might be interesting to play a piece and learn what kind of emotions it engenders in me.

FOUR: And?

ANDROID: Initial confusion followed by slight irritation, then discomfort, frustration and, ultimately, disappointment. I don’t like this at all.

FOUR: Well, there you go – an interesting emotional response.

The music turns OFF. The Android, clearly pleased –

ANDROID: Yes. I look forward to experiencing an equally visceral reaction to more selections.

Finally, the crew returns home…with some unexpected guests in the form of an FTL-capable Marauder that jumps before they have a chance to deal with it, opening the door to all sorts of new potential storylines. Aint scifi grand?
            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-and-bts-pics/

August 23, 2016

I can’t believe we’re only days away from Dark Matter “Episode 22: Going Out Fighting”. It honestly seems like just yesterday we were touring the Hyperion-8 prison sets in preparation for season 2. Time IS speeding up! And I’m having a hard time keeping pace!

Dark Matter overviews and interviews!

A series overview to date. Dark Matter: A Shipload of Antiheroes by the Capricious Narrator

Anthony Lemke, Dark Matter’s THREE, talks with Adam A. Donaldson at Nerd Bastards.

I chat with The TV Junkie’s Kelly Townsend about “Stuff To Steal, People To Kill”.

“Stuff To Steal, People To Kill”! More recaps, reviews, and reactions!

“This was a very enjoyable take on one of science fiction’s most popular, and favorite tropes in a straight forward, action packed episode that did a good job in also moving the series narrative forward….” by Craig Suide at SciFi Movie Page

“All in all this was ‘Dark Matters’ take on the classic ‘Star Trek’ mirror universe trope, but with much darker hues…” by Ian Cullen at SciFi Pulse

Dark Matter, Stuff To Steal, People To Kill, Alternate People To Deal With by Patricia at Wormhole Riders

“It wouldn’t be a sci-fi series without at least one parallel universe episode!” by Jessica Anson at MyM Buzz

How’s your German? Die Doppelte Raza! by Tim Kruger at Serien Junkies

“There are many doors that could be opened by what’s come out this episode. It gives great promise for what’s to come…” by Aaron Billingham at Kneel Before Blog

“I’m not all that fond of alternate universe episodes on the whole, but “Stuff to Steal, People to Kill” was both interesting and lots of fun (though it did make me realize that I probably never want romantic Two/Three)…” by Siobhan Dempsey at Word of the Nerd

Hey, comic book fans! Join our Comic Book reading club on reddit!

Vote for our very first Greatest Stories Reading Club pick! Batman or Daredevil? from comicbooks
              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ut-of-towners/

August 24, 2016

Video: Lulu

Photos: Paul, Erica, Akemi, Bubba, dinner at Sun Sui Wah, Lulu, Joe Mallozzi

My cousin Paul and niece Erica were in town for a week, visiting Vancouver.

Their stay involved a lot of eating, mainly dessert, but also included plenty of sightseeing, shopping, and spending quality time with my dogs.

Did I mention we ate a lot of desserts? yes? One of the highlights was the carrot cake at Cadeaux Bakery, pictured above with extra end-piece frosting!

We did a fair amount of walking Vancouver’s various neighborhoods – after which we stopped for a snack. Yes, dessert in the form of ice cream.

Erica and Paul trekked across Van, tracking down about a dozen “pianos” interspersed throughout the city. Akemi and I (and the dogs) joined them for their Olympic Village hunt, finally locating one of the pianos. Pictured above: Bubba shows off with a little Chopin.

We did Vancouver-style dim sum at Sun Sui Wah where our meal was accompanied by Jerry Springer on the big screen. Jer-ry! Jer-ry! Jer-ry! Ha-gow! Ha-gow! Ha-gow!

Our restaurant itinerary included Taqueria, Meat & Bread, Fable Diner, Bob Likes Thai Food, Rangoli, and, of course, Minami for their salmon oshi sushi.

Among my cousin Paul’s Vancouver commemorative purchases was the beginnings of his Halloween ensemble.

Before leaving, Paul and Erica presented us with going away gifts: wacky themed socks for me, and a Pokeman cap for Pokeman-obsessed Akemi. Bubba immediately took ownership of the cap.

Paul and Erica couldn’t get enough of the dogs, especially Lulu who, despite her snoring, outrageous belching, and terrible gas, seemed to make a great impression.

Erica bids the dogs a fond farewell.

Brought Bubba in to get his stitches out today. The results came in on the two masses removed from his head and, while one was benign, the other one was inconclusive. We have an appointment in late September with an oncologist for further tests (x-rays and ultrasound) as well an anti-cancer vaccine.

Lulu, meanwhile, continues to slow down. At 9, she is officially a senior!

Well, our guests have left and Akemi (and I, but especially Akemi) are already missing them. Akemi LOVES to entertain, so much so that she suggested we could home-stay visiting international students. I, on the other hand, prefer responsible adult guests, so I’m looking to adopt. Any of you interested in a move to Vancouver?
                sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...d-sneak-peeks/

August 25, 2016

Video: Dark Matter 2x09 promo

Tomorrow night on Syfy and Space Channel – 7 pm PDT, 10 pm EDT:

Yes, we’re already on to the ninth episode Dark Matter’s second season – “Going Out Fighting”. Written by Supervising Producer Ivon Bartok. Directed by Peter DeLuise. Two names that should be familiar to fans of Stargate. Guest starring Wil Wheaton as Alexander Rook – who may be familiar to fans of that other star franchise!

What’s going on with TWO? What answers – and surprises – lie within the confines of Dwarf Star Technologies headquarters? Well, maybe these photos will you give you a hint…

Or, maybe not.

A few things about this episode:

We’ll be introducing an element in this episode that will be a game-changer down the line. Fans will be abuzz!

Cue up the Blink Drive for a very special jaunt.

And in typical Dark Matter fashion, we end with one helluva WTF?! moment. Android fans, you’ve been warned!

Finally, via Syfy, here’s another sneak peek clip from tomorrow night’s episode:

http://www.syfy.com/darkmatter/blog/...e-9-sneak-peek
                  sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-and-bts-pics/

August 26, 2016

Oopsy. Many of you got a sneak peek at today’s blog entry last night when I accidentally posted its unfinished contents. It was the second time it’s ever happened to me – in almost ten years of daily blogging. Not bad. Anyway…

Tune in tonight for an all-new episode of Dark Matter: “Going Out Fighting” at 7 pm PDT/10 pm EDT on Syfy and Space Channel!

Here’s a little appetizer in the way of some BTS production pics!

And some sneak peek clips from tonight’s episode!

TWO finds out about her origins (video) at TV Insider

TWO and the Android (video) at Blastr

And, finally, a preview of tonight’s episode from Aimee Hicks at SpoilerTV.com:

Fighting Until The End
                    sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ews-reactions/

August 27, 2016

Photos: Dog study, Bubba

I’m much more likely to pull over to greet an elderly pug than to help a stranded motorist.

I mention this because I came across this study the other day:

(source: Vox)

To be fair, my dogs are much lighter and easier to carry than the average tourist or grandparent.

Hey, in belated celebration of National Dog Day, check out Bubba sporting the pyjamas Akemi got him. “He loves it!”she insists.

Hey, what did you all think of last night’s episode of Dark Matter “Going Out Fighting”?

Check out some reactions, recaps, and reviews:

“The show is on track to finish out the season with a skillful progression of episodes, capping off a mostly stellar season…”
                      by Michael Ahr at Den of Geek

“An episode rife with “Wait, what?!?!” moments. Possibly my favorite of the season so far…” by Cort Robinson at Pure Fandom

“One of the reasons I love the sci-fi genre is because I’m fascinated by the technologies it’s creators manage to think up. Nanites, space elevators that put the Space Needle to shame, transfer transits, and blink drives are all really cool bits of technology in the world of Dark Matter…” by Jen Stayrook at The Workprint

“The Android has been pretty much the breakout character from the very beginning of the series, and it is scenes like this that showcase the character’s natural charm and humor…” by Kathleen Wiedel at TV Fanatic

“In a way, I liked “Going Out Fighting” better than last week’s near-perfect “Stuff to Steal, People to Kill”. I say this kind of stuff a lot. It’s mainly because every episode expands upon the overall grand story, making each a little more exciting…” by Tom Gardiner at Three If By Space

“This episode’s pacing was excellent. You didn’t know what was going to happen next and it gave you the chills…” by Jideobi Odunze at Geeked Out Nation

“Dark Matter delivered what may very well be its highest-stakes episode yet…” by Aimee Hicks at Spoiler TV

“Not to sound like a broken record but we’re going to risk it anyway. The second season of Syfy’s Dark Matter is stellar. One of the best series of this summer season…” by TV Goodness

Anna and Josh at Geeksiders:

Hey, comic book fans. Join my Comic Book Reading Club. Our first discussion kicks off September 5th with Daredevil (vol. 1): “Born Again” (Daredevil #227-233).

Our Comic Book Reading Club pick for September 5th is Daredevil "Born Again" from comicbooks
                      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...rk-matter-l-a/

August 28, 2016

Yesterday, we were introduced to a potential house-sitter via our friend Nicole. She was lovely – a pleasant, intelligent, young professional who is looking for a place in Vancouver come October. The timing should be perfect – provided we get that third season pick-up. Akemi and I will have someone to watch the house and send us weekly mail updates, while our guest will have a nice comfortable home for eight months. As an added bonus, she offers dog-sitting services as well.

After she left, I asked Akemi what she thought. Her response: “I like her. I think she will be great for the house. The dogs…we’ll see.”

In other words: Sure, she seems honest and sensible enough to entrust with all of or worldly possessions. But a little more due diligence before we trust her with the dogs.

My thoughts exactly.

Hey, here are two more entries to add to our every-growing glossary of Akemi-isms:

crank up: grow cranky, usually as a result of hunger. See: hangry

be regret: to regret something (ie. “If you eat that cookie, you will be regret.”).

These words join our expanding lexicon of such notable terms as: brinkle, mushy-mushy, inch, and “Tastes like Santa’s socks”.

Speaking of Akemi – she felt an allergic reaction coming on and took some Benadryl (because we were out of Claratin). As a result, she’s been a little dopey all morning…

Akemi: I feel so out of it.

Me: You’re high on Benadryl.

Akemi: Actually, I’m low.

A few more recaps, reactions, and reviews to the last episode of Dark Matter, “Going Out Fighting”:

“After the excellent, parallel-universe hopping episode last week, this week’s turn was a more grounded affair, with a heavy focus on answering the question of what is wrong with Two and her nanites, and more importantly: how to solve this…” by Christopher Hart at The Nerd Recites

“Pivoting to the Raza for a moment, Five and Android have a heart-to-heart over a cup of hot chocolate, which Android adroitly steals from Five, basically inviting herself to have a sip, with her “20 million taste receptors” and then never returning the mug…” by Veronica Scott at Happy Ever After

“Dark Matter continues to flow smoothly into new territory, with the odd jolt of characters dying or changing dramatically. While Six seems more like his “old self,” The Android is entering a new phase. This evolution of the quirky character should be more than a little interesting…” by Michael Knox-Smith at Mike’s Film Talk

Alright. Scripts downloaded? Check. iBooks library updated? Check. Pocket handkerchiefs and quirky socks packed? Check! I’m off to L.A.! While Akemi (and Bubba and Lulu) hold the fort, I’ll be in Los Angeles doing meetings, making new connections, and dining out with some old (and somewhat recent) friends. Full reports to follow in the coming days!
                        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...016-l-a-day-1/

August 29, 2016

Photos: Joe Mallozzi, Tauri Jay Miller, Andrew Mena, Yael Tygiel, Carl Binder, Martin Gero

There was a point last night when I assumed the most annoying part of this trip would be the gentleman across the aisle from me who removed his shoes AND socks five minutes into our flight. The two and half hours in the air were otherwise uneventful and I was pleased to note that we were making good time. We landed a good twenty minutes prior to our scheduled arrival time. The only problem was we hadn’t landed at L.A.X. We were at Ontario airport, about an hour’s drive from Los Angeles.

Our pilot informed us that a security breech at L.A.X. had required us to make a little detour, but once we received the all clear, we would be on our way.

Security breech? I got online and learned that a mass panic had been set off by an active shooter.

And then, not an active shooter but some LOUD NOISES.

And then a guy in a Zorro outfit.

The pilot eventually came back with another update. We would need to refuel and then be on our way. Refuel? We were less than twenty minutes out? How close do these flights cut it? Anyway, he estimated we’d be back in the air in an hour.

Three hours later we were on our way. And it took us a mere twenty minutes to get to L.A.X.

Double that for the time we spent on the tarmac, waiting for an available gate.

And then add another 40 minutes if you’re stupid enough to attempt to catch a cab. I mean, seriously. For an international airport, L.A.X. is shockingly disorganized in its taxi service. You can line up and wait at the taxi stand. Or, like most people, you can not bother to line up and stand in front of the people waiting in front of the taxi stand. OR, you can just walk down and flag a cab before it gets anywhere near the taxi stand. It’s as if the taxi companies in L.A. want you to use Uber.

Which I eventually did and finally arrived at my hotel – four hours late. Thankfully, I was in bed by 3:30 a.m.

After a refreshing three and a half hours sleep, I was ready to start the day!

Lunch with the AfterBuzz crew: Tauri Jay Miller, Andrew Mena, and Yael Tygiel.

Followed by a mini Stargate reunion for dinner with Carl Binder and Martin Gero.

Tomorrow = I get down to business!
                          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...take-the-shot/

August 30, 2016

Video: Dark Matter 2x10 Promo "Take The Shot"

Shipboard mayhem sheds light on some of the crew members’ dark pasts.

On the next episode of Dark Matter, “Take The Shot”:

Android (?) making out with shirtless guy. Is it a dream? Is it our Android? Who’s the guy?

The Android looks around, perplexed. What’s got her so confused?

FIVE says: “If we delete her personality matrix and start over, it’s the same as killing her.” This is something the Android floated to THREE last season but he flatly refused because he’d just gotten used to her. What would prompt the crew to consider such a drastic course of action?

Randroid’s back! She informs the crew: “I do believe you’ve been targeted – as a result of the neural imprint you uploaded to the medical database.” Targeted how? By who? And if it was done via the neural imprints, does this mean the crew’s former personalities will be bubbling back to the surface?

FOUR asks: “Targeted by who?” Someone had to be responsible, right?

Randoird replies: “Your ship’s android.” In the words of Akemi: “How possible?!”

Then a shot of our Android, seemingly dormant, in some strange chamber. Could this be the recharge station she referred to last episode.

TWO says: “I’ve sent FOUR to the infirmary to delete our neural imprints.” But…will he?

Aimee Hicks offers up a preview at Spoiler TV:

“Throughout this season the show has taken the Android on a complex journey of evolution. Last season we saw the very beginnings of that journey, but this season has really gotten into the deeper complexities of who she is as a being. We’ve seen her experience love, learn about who may have “made” her, and we’ve seen her embrace her humanity. Now, all of those things are used against her as a sinister plot threatens to destroy everything that has made her special.”

Tom GardIner offers up his thoughts at Three If By Space – and a sneak peek scene:

"I have to say, I’m starting to get suspicious of HoloDroid. I’m wondering if her almost constant insistence on returning Android to factory defaults isn’t part of a plot against our hot chocolate addict. But there I go being all paranoid again. Dark Matter will do that to you.”

Hey, is that Misaki Han (Ellen Wong) last seen back in “Episode 15: Kill Them All”?
                            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-a-meals-dogs/

August 31, 2016

Photos: David Blue, Bubba, Lulu

I was getting dressed, fifteen minutes out from heading downstairs to catch a cab, when I received the call from my agent’s assistant. “I’m afraid I have some bad news,” he said.

Oh ****, I thought. I was prepared for the worst.

“We’re going to have to reschedule your first meeting today.”

“That’s it?”I asked. I was expecting worse. Much worse. Something like “Hey, the guy you’re meeting today broke up with his girlfriend last night so he’s going to be in a really bad mood…” or “We caught your old Stargate episode, Irresponsible, last night and, unfortunately, we’re going to have to withdraw our offer of representation…”. But a canceled meeting? It was like being back in elementary school and waking up to a snow day. Well, half show day anyway.

I took advantage of the free time to brush up on my Japanese (our Tokyo/Osaka trip is less than two weeks away0, and take a stroll through Beverly Hills which is – and correct me if I’m wrong – the “small-dog-carrying” capital of the U.S. In the half hour I was out and about, I passed about a half dozen people clutching yorkies, chihuahuas, and, in one instant, either a giant ball of yarn or a very relaxed maltese.

Last night, I had dinner wth Bob Picardo who you may remember from such shows as Star Trek: Voyager or Stargate: Atlantis, but you’ll no doubt definitely recall from his last visit to Vancouver that I profiled on this very blog a couple of weeks ago.

Today, it was deli lunch with this guy –

David Blue (SGU‘s Eli Wallace). Akemi is going to be sooooo jealous!

Then tonight, it’s southern-style dining with Dark Matter’s Misaki Han – Ellen Wong

Well, three days down and one more to go. And how have the meetings gone? As Robert Cooper used to say: “You always leave L.A. feeling like a million bucks!”. Everyone is positive, complimentary, and interested. Everyone says they want to work with you. And then…you head back home to reality. I can honestly say I’ve met some very nice, really smart people on this trip and would love to have the opportunity to work with them sometime in the future. But who knows?

Meanwhile, Akemi has been keeping me apprised of developments on the home front:

Bubba got a new hat and, of course, like toys and the dog beds, Lulu has immediately claimed ownership

Bubba’s Lulu’s new hat.

Okay, now they’re both happy.

The dogs prepare for a return trip to Toronto.
                              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...son-3-is-a-go/

September 1, 2016

Photos: Akemi, Melanie Liburd, Ben, Jason Priestley, Bubba, Lulu

In case you hadn’t heard:

Dark Matter and Killjoys renewed for season 3 on Syfy

It’s always the way. At first it’s “Oh, no. Oh, no. Are we going to get a season 3 pick up?” And then it’s “Oh, no. Oh, no. We got a pick up and now have to finish work on those scripts!”

It’s amazing how prescient my dogs were, seemingly preparing for a potential return journey to T.O. –

Not a day before the pick-up. Seemingly the stuff of urban legends, but anecdotal evidence supports the theory that dogs can predict earthquakes and series renewals.

I celebrated with Dark Matter friends. Last night, it was dinner at the excellent Hart & Hunter with actress Ellen Wong (Misaki Han).

We played that hand-knife game pre-dinner. She lost.

Grapefruit beer! What will they think of next?!

Then, tonight, it was dinner with Melanie Liburd’s husband Ben, Melanie Liburd, and director Jason Priestley. We went to Nobu where I left the menu in the hands of the chef but requested nigiri. Three times. What we got – mainly cooked dishes. And no nigiri. I mean, come on. It was all well and good – especially after three bottles of sake – but I can’t help but feel highly suspicious of a place when I order nigiri THREE TIMES and don’t receive any. Do they have something to hide? Fortunately, the company was spectacular. I love those three!

Well, that’s it. My L.A. trip concludes tomorrow with one last minute breakfast meeting, then a flight back to Vancouver. Look at how much the dogs are missing me…

And then it’s back to work on scripts for season 3. If you thought season 2 was nuts, just you wait…
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X