Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...on-2-premiere/

June 23, 2016

Photos: Reddit, Dark Matter, books, Joe Mallozzi

Got some burning Dark Matter or Stargate-related questions you were just too shy to ask me on the blog? Well, you’re in luck because…

Yes, it’s true. This Saturday at noon PDT, I’ll be doing an AMA (Ask Me Anything) over on Reddit. Head on over to https://www.reddit.com/r/television/ at the appointed time for all the action.

Today’s Dark Matter season 2 sneak peek screen shot of the day. That planet looks…familiar.

Hey, my guest stint on Geek Soul Brother’s podcast is up:

http://geeksoulbrother.com/joseph-mallozzi/

Give it a listen. It was a ton of fun. So much so that I ended up sticking around even after the interview ended and they had to pretend they were all going home to get me to hang up. Great stuff!

Finished off a first draft of my new military SF pilot. Before I do a pass on the script, I decided to pick up some research materials (pictured above) that will, hopefully, allow me to seem marginally competent in naval space jargon. Or not.
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

June 24, 2016

Videos: Geeksiders live stream announcement, Geeksiders interview with Joe Mallozzi

Photos: Dark Matter, Joe Mallozzi, Stargate

Hey, what are you doing today at 4 p.m. PDT, 7 p.m. EST? Well, if you’re free, I’ll be chatting with Geeksiders Josh and Anna over on google hangout…

And here’s the link to tune in:

Want to build your own 3D Raza? Well, Syfy can help you with that:

Build your own Raza!

Today’s Dark Matter season 2 sneak peak screen shot! What do you think is going on here?

A reminder that I’ll be doing a reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) tomorrow at noon PDT, 3 pm EST. At the appointed time, head on over to https://www.reddit.com/r/television/ (and make sure to register so you can quiz me). I’ll be fielding questions on anything and everything – Dark Matter, Stargate, pugs, the secret to my delicious corn bread.

A few more little somethings from the Stargate archives (specifically, Stargate: SG-1’s “Frozen”) c/o James Robbins:
      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-your-friends/

June 25, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter, Stargate

Thanks to everyone who joined my reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything). Topics ranged from Dark Matter to Stargate to pugs. In case, you missed it, here’s catch-up link:

Hi, I’m Joseph Mallozzi – creator of the Dark Matter series, writer-producer on the Stargate series, scifi fan and pug fan. AMA! from television

And special thanks to moderator Kishara for all the heavy lifting!

Hey, check out this awesome article by ThreeIfBySpace’s Tom Gardiner in which he makes the case for Dark Matter being a worthy successor to Stargate:

Why Dark Matter Fills That Stargate-sized Hole In Our Hearts

Looks like FOUR’s got something on his mind in today’s Dark Matter season 2 sneak peek screen shot.

In addition to the three hours I spent doing that AMA today, I also found time to go to Best Buy to buy a new washing machine (The old one makes the alarming ka-klung ka-klung noise and has tried to make a break for it. On several occasions, I’ve found it a good two feet closer to the door.) only to be told my local Best Buy doesn’t have any in store and that I would have to purchase one online. So I did. Exciting, hunh?

ALSO – I’m halfway through my rewrite of the new scifi pilot. The plan is to finish it up before month’s end, then send it to my agent and have him set it up. OR, if that fails, turn it into a comic book series. OR, if that fails, publish it on this blog, then wait for one of you to win the powerball and finance the show’s first season!

Hey, Stargate fans! I’ve got you covered too! Check out these little art department goodies…

Super soldier helmet.

Super soldier design by James Robbins.

And profile.
        sigpic

Comment

June 26, 2016

Photo: Dark Matter

“You’re show is coming back this week!”said my friend Tomomi.

“Yes,”I confirmed.

“What channel?”she asked.

“Syfy in the U.S., but Space Channel here in Canada.”

I noticed one of the saleswomen standing off to the side, clearly privy to the conversation, beyond excited and poised as though ready to pounce.

“This Friday at 10 p.m.,”I said.

Unable to hold back any longer, the saleswoman stepped up: “What show are you talking about?”

“Dark Matter,”I told her.

She smiled, hugely. “I LOVE that show! Are you in it?”

“No, I’m the show’s creator.”

She was beyond thrilled. “I’m so happy it’s back. Friday night?”

“Right.”

“It is SOOOO good.”

“What was your favorite episode?”

A pause to consider and then: “The one told from Julie’s point of view.”

Julie?

“Wrong show.”

“No, I’m sure it was Dark Matter.”

I was pretty sure it wasn’t but who was I to argue? Besides the show’s creator. She stepped behind the cash and did a quick online search. “Yeah, this is it Dark Matter…No, wait. This isn’t it.” And then, helpfully: “This looks good too.”

Thanks.

She assured me she would be binge-watching season 1 in preparation for the Friday premiere.

Just in case though, I’m thinking of dropping by, say, Wednesday-ish to see how that binge-watch is coming along.

Today’s Dark Matter season 2 sneak peek screen shot of the day. Seriously, WTF?

An early blog entry today as I am off to watch the season finale of Game of Thrones. I predict a little subterfuge on the part of Queen Margaery that should see the High Sparrow and his disciples dealt a mortal blow…with an innocent and unwary Tommen as collateral damage.

Tomorrow – back in the writers’ room spinning season 3!
          sigpic

Comment

June 27, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter, Joe Mallozzi

Oh yeah. Today’s Dark Matter season 2 sneak peek screen shot shows certain members of the crew all dressed up and heading out. What’s the special occasion? Well, I can’t be certain, but I suspect it’s the Dark Matter season 2 premiere, airing this Friday night at 10 pm (after Killjoys!) on Syfy and Space Channel!

And with the premiere only four days away, here’s a quick season 2 character primer from the gang at TV Fanatic:

Dark Matter season 2 character primer

…including a couple of new faces!

Meanwhile, Syfy.com offers us a story refresher:

Everything You Need to Know About Dark Matter

As well as a rundown of our crew BEFORE they went into stasis and had their memories wiped:

Dark Matter Pre-Season 1 Timeline

And then there’s this advance review from Jamie Ruby at Scifi Vision:

Dark Matter Season 2 Preview Review

Today, the writers’ room convened for more pitching, spinning, and breaking. I can’t tell you how amazing and exciting it is to pay-off so much of what has come before, while setting up so much of what’s to come. I’m inspired by these wonderful characters, my fellow writers, and these surprise treats (c/o EP Paul Mullie) chock full o’ creamy goodness. Also high fructose corn syrup, calcium sulfate, and polysorbate 60!

And yellow 5 and red 40!

Later that day – Me reconsidering my dietary choices. And Ivon Bartok’s pitch for the episode 8 tease.
            sigpic

Comment

June 28, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter, Defiance, Killjoys, Stargate

Hunh. Interesting. It’s like that sequence in Game of Thrones where Bran, seemingly losing all sense of reason, enters a vision without the three-eyed raven and unwittingly ends up dooming a bunch of people to the wrath of the Night King including that poor bastard in the tree. Now replace Game of Thrones with real life and replace the Night King with me and you have a pretty fair approximation of how things unfolded this late afternoon. That guy in the tree? He is SCREWED.

Today’s Dark Matter season 2 sneak peek screen shot of the day! Check it out. Yes, that’s The Raza. And, yes, that does appear to be a Mikkei destroyer. Hmmmm.

Holy crap! Only three days to the season 2 premiere! To prepare you, here’s an advance preview from Aimee Hicks at SpoilerTV.com:

Dark Matter Season 2 Premiere: Advance Preview

And another little preview c/o Dark Matter’s THREE, Anthony Lemke. Or Lemon Key as Akemi calls him. Or, occasionally, Le Monkey.

Anthony Lemke Previews Season 2

Small consolation to the many fans of the late great Defiance (Hey, Julie Benz – Mayor Rosewater – used to live in my building. We used to talk dogs all the time), but there’ll be a double shout-out premiere night when both Killjoys and Dark Matter feature a Defiance alum. Read about it below:

There’s a little Defiance in the Killjoys and Dark Matter season 2 premieres

3 days to the Syfy/Space Channel premieres – and, coincidentally, you also have three days to enter for a chance to win a cast-signed, annotated copy of the premiere script! All you have to do is match doggy pictures to episode titles. How easy is that?

Details here!

Well, apparently not that easy. Of the 50+ brave entrants to date, 2 are tied atop the leader board. And, trust me, they can be beat!

Here’s a little something via VFX Supervisor Lawren Bancroft-Wilson via Craig Van Den Biggelaar and Brendon Morfitt at Darkroom Digital Effects based on an original design by John Hrubesch. Now that is a sweet, sweet ride!

Hey, Stargate fans, I’ve got you covered. Check out the Atlantean DHD from the Stargate: Atlantis pilot, designed and drawn by the amazing James Robbins.

Finally, I conclude today’s blog entry with this memorable exchange last night…

Akemi: Knock knock.

Me: Who’s there?

Akemi: Apple.

Me: Apple who?

Akemi: Okay, what do I say now?

— Akemi discovering the cultural-based challenges of knock-knock humor.
              sigpic

Comment

June 29, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter, Stargate

Today, the season 3 writers’ room followed up yesterday’s blisteringly creative outburst – in which we broke not one, not two, but two and a half episodes! – by spinning our wheels in frustration, watching an adorable cat video, and having soft serve for lunch. Ah, well. There’s always tomorrow.

And the day after when Dark Matter season 2 premieres! Here are a couple of cast interviews to get you psyched up:

Interviews: Anthony Lemke, Alex Mallari Jr., Shaun Sipos

Interview: Melissa O’Neil

Awww, how adorable. FIVE’s firing some sort of energy-based weapon. At who? And why? And why is she wearing that red lab coat? Consider today’s Dark Matter season 2 sneak peek screen shot.

Still a very beatable tie atop the leader board for the chance to win a cast-signed annotated copy of the first episode of our season premiere: “Episode 14: Welcome To Your New Home”! Time is running out to enter!

Win a Dark Matter script!

I’ll be live-tweeting our season premiere Friday night – with a little help from some friends. Follow my dedicated Dark Matter account for all the live-tweeting action – @DarkMatter_show – this Friday at 7 p.m. PDT, 10 p.m. EST/PDT.

Then join me July 4th @BaronDestructo for a live after-show Periscope directly following the U.K. premiere (20:00 on Syfy UK! Then 21:00 on Periscope!).

Off to do another interview. But, before I go…

A little something from the Stargate archives – for all of you wraith enthusiasts out there. Designs (as almost always) by James Robbins.
                sigpic

Comment

June 30, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter, dogs

Wow. It doesn’t seem all that long ago that we were watching in shock as the crew of The Raza was being dragged off by the Galactic Authority, and the traitor in their midst was revealed as none other than SIX! And now, here we are, less than 24 hours away from answers to questions like:

Why did SIX do it?

Where are they taking the crew?

And does prison food agree with THREE?

As someone already pointed out, it’s 4th of July weekend and many will be traveling – or attending fireworks displays on the night in question. But, hopefully, YOU won’t be among them because you’ll be home, watching the premiere. Trust me, you’re going to want to be sitting down for this one (But not in traffic or on an uncomfortable picnic blanket or lawn chair. On a related note, did you know that number of fireworks-related eye injuries is on the rise? Hot burning embers can damage your corneas! Stay safe this weekend. Stay home and watch Dark Matter!). It’s going to get mighty crazy – onscreen and then online, immediately following the episode. If you miss out, don’t say I didn’t warn you…

It also means that this will be your last chance to win a cast-signed, annotated copy of the script for “Episode 14: Welcome To Your New Home”. Match the dog pictures to the episodes they represent.

Match a dog; win a script!

And, yes, it IS harder than it looks.

Today’s Dark Matter season 2 sneak peek screen shot of the day comes via VFX Supervisor Lawren Bancroft-Wilson from the award-winning gang at FUSE FX!

Just in case you need to prep:

What to know for the Dark Matter premiere

Bigger, more WTF moments than season 1!

Be sure to follow my dedicated Dark Matter account for all the live-tweeting action: @DarkMatter_show

And then check it out on Monday for a live Periscope session after the July 4th U.K. premiere!

Hey, click below for a 360 degree view of the bridge of The Raza (brought to you by Executive Producer Jay Firestone).

Also, check out our Dark Matter official Facebook page for a chance to win some swag!

One more blog entry and then I’ll be seeing you all at the Hyperion-8 Galactic Detention Facility!

P.S. Thanks to
                  for the Raza crew Brady Bunch collage!
                  sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...remiere-night/

July 1, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter

The loooooong wait is over. It’s finally here. The night we’ve all been waiting for! At 10 p.m. EST/PDT, Dark Matter’s second season kicks off on Syfy in the U.S. and Space Channel in Canada.

Here are a few appies in advance of the main viewing course:

An exclusive season 2 episode 1 Android clip at ComicBook.com!

An exclusive season 2 episode 1 sneak peek of our newest crew member, Nyx, in action at TVInsider.com!

An exclusive season 2 episode 1 sneak peek at ONE, FIVE, and SIX at TVGuide.com!

Today’s Dark Matter season 2 sneak peek screen shot of the day = MAYHEM!

Of course, I’ll be live-tweeting the premieres on both coasts (10 pm) tonight from my dedicated Dark Matter twitter account (@DarkMatter_show). Join me – and many others! – in the eye of the twitter storm! #DarkMatter

But we won’t be flying solo tonight. The Scifi Friday double-punch kicks off at 9 pm with the season 2 premiere of Killjoys, then rolls into the season 2 premiere of Dark Matter at 10 pm!

See you soon!
                    sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...s-and-reviews/

July 2, 2016

Well, Dark Matter’s second season premiered last night and, as predicted, the response was swift and stormy!

So as not to spoil international fans who are waiting for the show to premiere in their part of the world, I will avoid talking specifics for now but…I did warn you it would be a shocker!

Lots o’ links, articles, and reactions to get to…

This episode and Episode 12: “Sometimes In Life You Don’t Get to Choose” hold the distinction of being the only two episodes of the Dark Matter’s second season in which the title doesn’t appear as a line of dialogue in the finished episode. In this case, “Welcome to Your New Home,” uttered by head guard Durand upon the Raza crew’s entrance to Hyperion-8, ended up on the cutting room floor.

I serve up some Fun Facts About That Premiere Episode

Also cut for time was a few seconds off the top of the first Warden scene in which Six checks out the pictures hanging on the walls of the Warden’s office, artwork from “a bunch of first graders over at Admiral Farragut Elementary on Torren-5’s third moon.” One particularly awesome picture is accompanied by the words: “My dad stole thingz and in your jail now. Say hi from Timmy.”

Aimee Hicks breaks down the opener for SpoilerTV:

Dark Matter Welcomes You To Your New Home

Tom Gardiner of ThreeIfBySpace offers his own thoughts:

A Rude Awakening

Mary Powers of TVGeekTalk weighs in with her take on opener:

Betrayals, New Faces, And One Big “Oh Crap!” Ending

Josh and Anna of GeekOnReview provide a video review:

Welcome To Your New Home

Kathleen Widel of TVFanatic breaks down our first episode:

“That was quite the twist…

HappyEverAfter’s Veronica Scott recaps both scifi Friday premieres:

“Apparently, this season of Dark Matter will contain some big surprises…”

DenOfGeek’s Michael Ahr with his review of “Episode 14: Welcome To Your New Home”:

“In the space of one episode, Dark Matter has broadened the scope of its world to a greater extent than in the whole of season 1.”

P.S. We have a winner in our Match the Dog Picture to a Dark Matter Episode contest! I’ll make the grand announcement in tomorrow’s blog entry.
                      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ontest-winner/

July 3, 2016

Let me kick off today’s entry by announcing the winner of the cast-signed, annotated script of “Episode 14: Welcome To Your New Home”. Congratulations to MFB, Mike From Blaine, who matched an astounding 9 of 13 episodes to their thematic dog picture counterparts. I say astounding because, as it turns out, this contest was really, really hard. The average number of correct guesses from the approximately 100 people who entered? 3. 3!!

Anyway, as longtime blog reader Line Noise pointed out: “Statistical analysis of everyone’s answers shows overwhelming support for picture 12 for episode 14.” And the majority were spot on!

“Episode 14: Welcome To Your New Home”

A reminder that I will doing a live Periscope following the UK premiere of Dark Matter’s second season!

Premiere = 20:00 Monday, July 4th

Periscope = 21:00 Monday, July 4th

Get the app and watch for the announcement on my twitter timeline (@BaronDestructo).

More thoughts on our premiere episode. But beware! Spoilers abound!

Mike’sFilmTalk:

“Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie are pulling no punches this season.”

Craig Suide of SciFiMoviePage:

“The mysteries of season one on this series only seem to deepen. the more you think you know, the more you realize there’s something else going on behind it.”

Tyler F.M. Edwards at Superior-Realities:

“Action, suspense, mystery, emotion, character development — the season premiere has it all.”

Sashurai at Blade of the Sashurai:

“For every mystery solved, there’s two more in it’s place giving season 02 plenty of juice to work with.”

I’m going to continue to be “non-specific” in my comments here until we get a few more international premieres under our belt but, in the coming days, I’ll be fielding your questions, offering up hints of what’s to come and, also, another BIG cast/fan Q&A announcement!
                        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...6-dark-matter/

July 4, 2016

Videos: Dark Matter 2x02 promo, Dark Matter 2x02 sneak peek

Happy 4th of July to everyone celebrating!

The “Episode 14: Welcome To Your New Home” Re-cap

The Dark Matter cast still has plenty of fight in the season premiere

HollywoodTheWriteWay reviews “Episode 14: Welcome To Your New Home”

BiffBamPop weighs in on the premiere

TVEquals have their say

Dark Matter Interview: TWO, SIX, & Nyx (Part 1)

Dark Matter Interview: TWO, SIX & Nyx (Part 2)

“Episode 15: Kill Them All” promo:

“Episode 15: Kill The All” sneak peek:

ThreeIfBySpace’s Tom Gardiner offers his take

“There’s something ominous, but not unexpected, about reading a title like Dark Matter 202 “Kill Them All”. Picked by fans, like all the season two titles, the majority of us thought it was appropriate. We had no real idea what the story was about when we voted, but it sounded right. Knowing our pals would be in Hyperion-8, we figured it was about time someone said that. Now, to find out who spoke those titular words … next week when episode 202 airs!”

A hint of what’s to come in Dark Matter season 2

“While Three’s behaviour is generally consistent with the character we met in season one, there’s still plenty of room for change. According to Lemke, this will take the form of a blossoming relationship. “There’s an individual Three develops a much deeper bond with than he had in season one,” he reveals. “You see Three moving on down the empathy route to be able to interact more as a person in a caring way. But it’s still in a Three way, you know? He doesn’t all of a sudden turn into One. He’s still Three, but I think it’s the most fun change that happens for him.””

***Thanks to Space.ca for the awesome gifs!
                          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ajor-spoilers/

July 5, 2016

Video: Dark Matter

False alarm! He’s okay! He’s okay!

Pictured above: actor Marc Bendavid out for sushi with Akemi and I after shooting “Episode 14: Welcome To Your New Home”. Love this guy. Super kind, super talented. He was in Van a couple of weeks ago and he took us out for brunch – and spent some quality time with the dogs…

Staring longingly into each others eyes…

After that final scene, many of you are asking: “What is up? Is this the last we’ll see of him?”

Well, all I can say is that if and when the crew do escape from Hyperion-8, they’re going to have some unfinished business with THIS guy –

Triggerman Jace Corso.

In the first draft of the script, the new inmates undergo a three-stage decontamination process. First, they’re blasted with the gas, then, they’re hit with an electric charge that builds up from their feet, arcing over their bodies, and lastly, they are hit with the lights. The second stage, the arcing, was lost in the edit because this episode came in 6 minutes and 11 seconds over.

Also lost for time was the line: “Welcome to your new home”, uttered by Durand, the head guard, when the new prisoners first step into Gen. Pop. When Syfy requested episode titles for season 2, I was of two minds. On the one hand, I was okay with it. The fact that the first season episodes had no episode titles made sense given its thematic connection to the ideas of amnesia and loss of identity that played through the show’s first year. In the show’s second season, we would continue exploring those ideas but, given the fact our characters were on firmer fitting with regard to their backstories, it made sense to add a little clarity. On the other hand, I’ve always hated coming up with episode titles. And so, I came up with what I thought was brilliant solution: have the fans choose it! But how to do it without actually telling them anything about the episode? I thought about it and came up with the perfect solution, selecting three on-point lines of dialogue from the show and inviting the fans to choose from among them. “Welcome To Your New Home” was the win. The Runners up: “Most Noobs Try It” was uttered by Nyx to TWO in their sim yard discussion while “Maximum Time For Minimum Pain” is the mantra Charlie, the older infirmary patient, delivers to THREE as he advises him on how to scam the system.

I’ve had this series – it’s various character and story arcs – planned out for years now. One of the key moments I’d envisioned well before we even sat down to spin stories for season 1 was the shots of the G.A. guards sweeping in and taking the ship followed by the final shot of our incapacitated crew being led out, one by one, with the traitor in their midst – SIX – bringing up the rear, walking alongside Lt. Anders. The how’s and why’s of SIX seeming turn will be made clear over the course of season 2’s first couple of episodes.

Once the truth is revealed, you can go back over those last few episodes of season 1 and pick up the subtle hints laid out: SIX’s encounter with Lt. Anders at the end of Episode 8 – an encounter that ends with Anders bizarre disappearance by the time ONE and FOUR arrive, SIX’s reaction to the destruction of the Mikkei research facility, his emotional conversation with FIVE soon after, his insistence that the crew “stay together” when they discover the shock stick missing from the vault.

Roger steps up BIG time in these first two episodes, delivering one of his best (of many great) performances.

Roger Cross (SIX) and Jeff Teravainen (Lt. Anders).

Also delivering a terrific performance in this episode is actor Jeff Teravainen who plays the role of Lieutenant Anders. The character was named after my friend and author Lou Anders (http://www.louanders.com).

So many oft-unnoticed details go into a production, contributions made by a myriad of people in various productions. Like for instance, the Galactic Authority badge that SIX sports in this episode. Although not featured, it’s a thing of beauty, created by our props department overseen by the wonderful Victoria Klein.

In one of this episode’s early scenes, SIX pays a visit to Warden Treihan. If you look closely, you can make out adorable pictures adorning his rather sleek office. A couple were featured in the director’s, part of an opening exchange that was also lost for time. Here’s a script excerpt of the deleted exchange:

SIX stands in the warden’s office, brow furrowed, checking out a collage of pictures on one wall – crude children’s drawings of prisoners behind bars, guards, or the warden himself with messages like: “Lok up the bad guys”, “Thanks for keping us safe”, and “My dad stole thingz and in your jail now. Say hi from Timmy”.

WARDEN TREIHAN: Those are from a bunch of first graders over at Admiral Farragut Elementary on Torren-5’s third moon.

SIX glances over as WARDEN TREIHAN walks in – mid forties, sly and calculating.

WARDEN TREIHAN: School figures it helps establish clear ethical boundaries at an early age. But who’re we kidding?

He walks over, pours himself a drink at his desk.

WARDEN TREIHAN: Where they’re being raised – poor little bastards – half those kids’ll eventually wind up in here. Best they can hope for is ending up as guards instead of prisoners.

He knocks back his drink, grimaces.

SIX: You always drink alone in your office?

WARDEN TREIHAN: I’m not drinking. I’m treating a throat condition. (clears his throat) There. Better.

He throws SIX an affable smile.

The role of Warden Treihan is played with masterful aplomb by veteran actor (24, World Without End, Jane the Virgin, Stargate: Universe) and culinary expert Carlo Rota. Between scenes, we’d discuss food more than the actual script.

The part of Darius der Hoeven was played by actor Doug MacLeod who delivers a delightfully devious performance as the standing CEO of Corelactic Industries. And he does so sporting MY pocket handkerchief. Yes, just before his scene was to shoot, Dark Matter costume designer Noreen Landry snagged the handkerchief right out of my suit pocket and tucked it into Doug’s. I have, thus, been immortalized onscreen!

Plenty more behind-the-scenes insights to offer, but I’ll leave it there for now. Tomorrow, I continue our look at “Episode 14: Welcome To Your New Home”.
                            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...rt-2-spoilers/

July 6, 2016

Photos: Melanie Liburd, Dark Matter

Time for another BIG Dark Matter cast Q&A announcement. So far, you’ve had the chance to grill

Melissa O’Neil

Anthony Lemke

Alex Mallari Jr.

And now, it’s time for Melanie Liburd (Nyx Harper) to field your fan questions!

Post your questions in the comments section of this blog. I’ll gather them up over the course of the new few days and send them her way.

More behind-the-scenes insight into that shocking season premiere…

Again, because the director’s cut came in a little over six minutes short, we had to lose certain sequences for time – like, for instance, the following exchange between SIX and Anders while SIX is in his quarters, onboard The Raza, attempting to access his old file:

SIX finally winds up in his old quarters. He slumps down in front of his computer and calls up the personnel files that Anders sent him previously. He pages through the file, seeing his own picture, reading his own life. But then he finds a file he can’t open. He clicks on it, but a window pops up that reads: “CLASSIFIED MATERIAL”. He types in his access code, but it doesn’t work. The computer gives him and ERROR BUZZ and an “ACCESS DENIED” message. SIX frowns, surprised. SIX What the hell? Suddenly, and “INCOMING TRANSMISSION” window pops up. SIX hits a key. The screen is replaced with a video feed – Anders is on the other end.

ANDERS: Kal, what are you doing? Quarantine, remember?

SIX: I needed a place to think. That prison, it’s like…

ANDERS: A prison?

SIX: I thought I’d go over my personnel records, maybe read some of my old cases. Try and remind myself why I became a cop in the first place.

ANDERS: Don’t do this to yourself…

SIX: There’s one file I can’t open. It says it’s classified, but I should have full clearance for all this material. You know anything about it?

ANDERS: No.

SIX: Strange.

ANDERS: You need to move on. Let’s pull some vacation time, go somewhere fun and blow off a little steam. God knows you’ve earned it.

SIX: I haven’t filed my report yet.

ANDERS: Screw the damn report. No one wants to hear it anyway.

SIX: What’s that supposed to mean?

Anders takes a breath, backs off –

ANDERS: I’m just saying, you did the job. You brought them in. What happens now…it’s not up to you.

OFF SIX, considering.

One of my favorite performances in this episode is delivered by Tom Barnett who plays the part of the head guard, Durand. There’s an incredible ease and confidence in his delivery of a character who seems to have a lot brewing underneath the surface. He’s a perfect example of one of those characters you’re grateful don’t get killed off in the episode so that there’s a possibility you can revisit them at a later date.

Another scene that was lost for time comes near the very end of the episode. ONE is in his hotel room, packing up his belongings, when Felica, his lawyer, comes by…

ONE is putting folded up shirts into a suitcase. Felicia enters from the next room.

FELICIA: You done packing?

ONE” These aren’t even my clothes.

FELICIA: They are now. I made sure everything is your size.

ONE (without much enthusiasm): Thanks.

She throws him a look.

FELICIA: I thought you’d be excited. You’re finally going home.

ONE: I’m going back to a place I don’t remember to take over a company I know nothing about, surrounded by total strangers, with no way to know who to trust.

FELICIA: Okay, I admit it doesn’t sound perfect. But I hope you know, you can trust me.

Can he? He looks at her, wondering.

FELICIA: I’ll go make sure the shuttle is prepped and ready for launch. Don’t be long.

This episode was directed by Amanda Tapping and there was talk early on of her playing the part of Felicia, Derrick Moss’s lawyer. But, as we geared up and it became apparent to Amanda that she would have her hands full with prep, she respectfully passed. And so, we held auditions for the role and Trenna Keating (Defiance’s Doc Yewll) nailed it. If I saw her onscreen and didn’t know better, I’d want her representing me in court!

And finally, there’s this – not so much an edit as it is a rewrite of the ONE/Jace Corso confrontation. In the episode, ONE opens the door and is surprised to find Corso standing there with a gun. Corso says “Long time no see”, pumps him full of bullets with a finishing shot to the head, then leaves. In an early writer’s draft, however, there’s a meatier exchange between the two. The scene picks up near the end of the aforementioned Felicia scene with Derrick Moss’s lawyer still in the room. Corso comes in, shoot Felicia, and then –

ONE is stunned, staring down at the suddenly lifeless body.

ONE: Why did you do that? You don’t even know her!

CORSO: Well I wasn’t about to leave a witness, was I?

ONE (slowly realizing): So you’re here to kill me?

CORSO: I would think that’s pretty obvious, but yes.

ONE: Why? For copying your face and using your identity? You can have it. It never did me any good anyway.

CORSO: If you think that’s why I’m here, you really are clueless.

ONE stares at him for a moment, then –

ONE: Someone sent you. It was Darius, wasn’t it?

Corso looks around the room casually.

CORSO: You know I’ve done a few of these jobs now, and it’s always the same. They always want to know – “who sent you?” As if it’s gonna make any difference.

He moves toward ONE, but in a totally relaxed way. He’s in no hurry.

CORSO: And then I realized – it’s because they think they’re gonna survive. Right up until the last second, even when it’s obvious there’s no chance, they’re convinced some miracle is gonna happen and somehow they’ll get out of it.

ONE looks around the room, desperating trying to spot anything he could use to turn the tables, but there’s nothing.

CORSO: Everyone thinks of themselves as the hero of their own little movie, and the hero never dies, right?

They stare each other down for a beat, then Corso fires. THWIP-THWIP-THWIP. ONE drops. Corso steps up to the prone body of his latest victim. LOW ANGLE, looking up, as CORSO points the gun one more time, almost straight down.

CORSO: Wrong.

He fires the coup-de-grace. WIDE again, as Corso turns and surveys his handiwork. Two lifeless bodies. Neither moves. Neither is revealed to be a clone, or anything like that. No one is getting out of this one. OFF this, we END EPISODE

Tomorrow, we interrupt this blog’s ongoing BTS feature with a much-anticipated Q&A!

In the meantime, start posting your questions for Melanie Liburd!
                              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...our-questions/

July 7, 2016 - Part 1

Videos: Dark Matter

Photos: Zoie Palmer

It’s the Q&A you’ve all been waiting for! Actress Zoie Palmer (Dark Matter’s Android) offers insight into her character, her process, and her love of soup!

Now some of you may not be aware of it, but the Android character was originally envisioned as male. But, when it came time to cast “him”, we cast a wide net, opening up the role to all ethnicities and genders. Zoie was terrific in her first audition and, thus, received a call-back for the second round. In round #2, she delivered a flawless soliloquy of techno-babble that could have only been equaled by Samantha Carter herself. Someone in the room (It may have been me?”) asked if she could do it in a British accent. And she did – once again, flawlessly. “I can do a Jamaican accent too!”she offered. And did. It was a final audition that won her the part…and also set up that infamous Android-speaking-in-accents scene from season!

On to the Q&A…

Night-Cat writes: “I have only one question for Zoie: Does that hair hurt? Because it looks like it hurts. Oh, and also does it require its own antivirus software?”

gforce writes: “Zoie, one thing that I figure would be very hard to do is play the Android with just the right amount of “android-ness”. I think it would be very easy to over play it to the point of silliness, but you seem to have it nailed! Was that a difficult balance to achieve? And, do you use any kind of guide or approach that let’s you do it so well?”

You’re right gforce, figuring out this character was a tough one for me, tougher than I originally realized. Part of that difficulty was due to the fact that she isn’t a human and I have never played a non-human character before. All of my training as an actor is about how to bring as much human as humanly possible (ha) to any given character. Oddly enough this applies to The Android too but figuring out how to apply it to the Android was the greatest of challenges. How does a non-emotional, strictly practical, non-human reach an audience? How does such a creature connect to the other characters? Can she at all? These were all my questions and as the two seasons have gone by and have slowly figured out some of the answers…well, I hope I have. What I love so much about this character is that I am challenged very much to keep pushing to keep digging to make her deeper and stay true to who or what she really is. Very challenging, very rewarding

dasndanger writes: “Hello, Zoie – We (hubby and I) love your character!
                                Three questions…
                                1. How difficult is it to keep a straight face while in character?”

Hi dasndanger, thank-you to you and your husband for your support of The Android. As for this question, it can be hard to keep a straight face. It can be very hard if I’m doing a scene with Melissa O’Neil who brilliantly plays the character “TWO.” For some reason she and I have a hard time not laughing all the way through some scenes, couldn’t even tell you why, just seems to happen. So yes is the short answer, but somehow we always manage through.

“2. Is it harder to nail your lines when talking ‘robotically’ than when delivering them in a natural way?”

It was at first. I used to memorize them speaking naturally and then do them in Android on the day. Now for some reason I can’t memorize them unless I do it in The Android tone. Funny hey?

“3. What is one of your favorite aspects of playing an android that is unique to such a character?”

I think I love how totally loyal she is to her crew. Despite the fact that she is not human she would die for any of them if she felt it would save them. I believe that about her. I’m not sure if the writers would agree with me necessarily but I think she would in an instant.

no1zoieplamerfan writes: “Hi Zoie! First I just want to say you’re doing an awesome job as the Android! My questions are as follows 1. What was it about the character that drew you to audition for the role?”

This is a very different character than any I’ve done before. It shouldn’t be hard for an actor to make a layered, deep feelinged human interesting. But to make a machine interesting, to have none of the tools that us actors rely so heavily on such as facial expressions, nervous ticks, hand gestures, to have none of those and to make a character interesting is a great challenge. I have to pause here and say that I couldn’t do it at all if it wasn’t in the writing. So much of what makes The Android compelling is because Paul and Joe have made her so. They have written scenes that have allowed me some freedom and have just been interesting in and of themselves. The challenge of this character and ironically the humanity of her was what drew me to her and still does.

“2. Where were you when you got the news that you had gotten the part?

3. If you could play any other character, who would it be and why? Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions!”

I think I was at home when I found out I got the part, pretty sure at home in my living room. As for what other character would I play, I think perhaps THREE. The female version of THREE would be fun to have a kick at.

shouldwritemore writes: “1. Who has u in stitches the most whilst shooting ur scenes?”

You may not believe this but its definitely Alex Mellari Jr. who plays “FOUR.” He is funny funny funny, not to mention smart and handsome and talented, not a bad guy to work with at all!

Mike A. writes: “Zoie: Are you lobbying Joe and Paul to let you wear something different, just once? (And not a spacesuit
                                Actually, are you lobbying them for anything? Story ideas, cooking tips, VCR repair tricks…..?”

Ha! Well, I don’t know that I would call it lobbying but once in a blue moon I mention an idea but it’s not so much a big storyline idea or an outfit idea but just a moment here and there in a scene. Paul and Joe don’t need any help from the likes of me, they know exactly what they’re doing and they’re fantastic at it.

shyone65 writes: “Hi Zoie
                                1. Which is easier for you reciting Dr Lewis’s medical Jargon or The Androids Technical knowledge?”

For sure Dr Lauren Lewis’s lines were easier than The Android’s mainly because I understood what I was talking about. Sometimes with The Android I have to read it several times to really get a handle on it, or I have to look it up online, or I have to text Joe, or I have to panic…y’know, one of those things.

“2. Do you like performing your own stunts?”

I do, very much. That said, I can’t perform them all. John Stead our brilliant stunt coordinator really choreographs some very challenging stunt work and then we rely very heavily on out outstanding and mind boggling stunt performers who come in and do extraordinary things all while making it look like it’s no big thang. We are very lucky with our entire stunt crew, they really are exceptional and it is a great belief of mine that stunt performers deserve a great deal more recognition that they often get. If I didn’t have stunt doubles on this show, believe me, you’d notice!

“3. What was your favorite book when you were growing up?”

I very much liked The Catcher In The Rye.

relaxygirl writes: “Zoie, I mean Ms. Palmer. What do you think of the name Minerva? Also, I’m a huge fan of Instant Star- any comment there? Wait one more question- Why no responses on your tweet page? You would make many peeps happy.”

Minerva? Well wasn’t that a characters name on HARRY POTTER? I looooooooooved the HARRY POTTER books and movies A LOT. So, Minerva is a good name…. sorta. I’m thrilled you liked INSTANT STAR, I loved shooting that show and loved the cast very very much. They were a very talented group of peeps and I still see them all from time to time.

Verb1970 writes: “3 questions for Ms Palmer
                                1) how’s the hair porn doing now that the “trump do” is so popular?”

Ha, I’m not sure I know….

James writes: “Hey Palmer! Your AWESOME btw!
                                Q1: what’s your number?”

People keep saying my number is 7

“Q2: what’s ya address?”

RAZA. Space.

“Q3: when ya gettin your own show? ( unanimous pole: we’d sit and watch you pick your teeth for an hour if we got the chance)”

I will very soon do a “periscope” of me picking my teeth. You’re welcome.

Anna Cherry writes: “I really enjoyed the scenes where Zoie played the Android that we know as well as the Android in Red when looking for faults in her programming. It was amazing to watch, how was it to play both parts?”

It was actually a ton of fun to do the twinning scenes. That’s what its called when you’re in a scene with yourself. I loved everything about that because you have to pay a great deal of attention to what you’re doing. You have to make very specific choices and you have to try to remember what you did when you were in the scene as the other character. There’s a lot going on and I loved it. The challenge of course with twinning The Android is that they’re not so different from one another and so I really had to figure out how to make them different enough that you could see it, even a little, but not so different that it wasn’t believable.

Tanja writes: “So here are my 3 questions
                                ~ Did you ever got hurt during stunt scenes?”

I have been hurt in stunt scenes but nothing major, bruises mainly. It’s to be expected that you may be a bit stiff or tender the day after a major fight sequence but overall they are very safe. We have an incredible stunt coordinator in John Stead and safety for him is paramount so I always feel completely relaxed trying anything he asks of me because I know he’s through it through a hundred times before bringing it to me.

“~ How do you get prepared for your scenes?”

So much of the “prep” work is done before I get to set because in tv you shoot quickly as there’s a lot to do in a day, so the bulk of most actors’ work is done at home, just you and the script and your imagination. In terms of how I get prepared to actually shoot, I’m someone who needs some time alone, so I’m often in my trailer as much as possible when I’m not needed to shoot in order to go over my lines, focus, get centred, get out all of the stuff from my head that I don’t need in the next scene. And then, and this may sound strange but all the practical stuff like being hungry or thirsty or whatever, you don’t want to be thinking about any of that while you’re shooting a scene. You don’t want to be thinking, “boy I’m hungry” when you’re trying to be present in a moment with your acting partner, so I make sure I eat well and I have water with me etc. Sounds all a bit trite but as actors our bodies and minds are all we have to use so they need to be free of unnecessary stuff.

“~ Can you influence how the character of the Android will grow? How you like her to be?”

Both Joe and Paul are amazing at what they do, writing the show, creating the characters, the stories, the arcs of each of the characters so if I’m honest I typically feel great trusting them to do what they do best. The other thing that’s so great about them is that they also are very open to any thoughts we have about our characters or storylines so if I bring them something regarding my characters I’m always met with an openness to discuss which I believe is all an actor could possibly ask for and I’m very grateful to get to work with them both.

Brianna Culberson writes: “What type of pet would The Android have on the Raza? What would she name it?”

Probably a pet rat. Dunno why, just seems about right. Probably name it RATBOT
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X