Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-for-season-2/

March 28, 2016

Video: Dark Matter - Station schematics

Photos: Dark Matter

Hey, check out this awesome Dark Matter video from the gang at Syfy.com:

So, are you in the mood for season 2?

How about now?

Now?

Stop me when you’re getting close!

(Station schematics by 1st Assistant Art Director Kelly Diamond)

(Dwarf Star Technologies space station design by artist Jon Hrubesch)
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...tter-post-yet/

March 29, 2016

Video: Dark Matter - Neural Mapping

Listen to them—the children of the night. What music they make!

Something wicked this way comes.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing –

There are mysteries which men can only guess at, which age by age they may solve only in part.

(Graphics by artist Victor Mare)
      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...f-dark-matter/

March 30, 2016

Videos: Weather Network piece about Stargate, Student Bodies (Season 2 & 3) Intro

Photos: Peter DeLuise, Ross Hull, Joe Mallozzi

This year, we’re doing something special for the fans. Well, let’s say “extra special” because, in truth, we’re always doing something “special”. This season, YOU get to pick Dark Matter’s episode titles. No, really. To date, you’ve named seven episodes:

“Episode 14: Welcome To Your New Home”
        “Episode 15: Kill Them All”
        “Episode 16: I’ve Seen The Other Side Of You”
        “Episode 17: We Were Family”
        “Episode 18: We Voted Not To Space You”
        “Episode 19: We Should Have Seen This Coming”
        “Episode 20: She’s One Of Them Now”

And today, YOU get to pick another one – the title for Episode 208. Choose wisely!

Polls close in 24 hours!

Speaking of which… The deadline for Hugo nominations is Friday, March 31st. If you read something you loved, take the time nominate it (and its author). I offered up a list of my favorite considerations in the running for the Best Short Story:

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ories-of-2016/

Did you get a chance to read any of them? If so, which were YOUR favorites?

Well, talk about old times. This latest episode has reunited me with fabulous director Peter DeLuise. It’s been six years since we last worked together. In the case of today’s guest star, Ross Hull, it’s been eight years since we last did THIS together –

And it’s been 18 years since we worked together on THIS –

We shot in an abandoned high school. Paul and I worked out of a carpeted classroom where we occasionally played air hockey with the cast members during their down time. We ended up writing about 25 of the show’s 65 episode run – and had an awesome time doing it. Great cast, great crew, and a great trio of creator-producers (Michael Klinghoffer, Judy Spencer, and Alan Silberberg).

Who’s up for a Student Bodies marathon?! Yeaaaaah!!!

Me on set yesterday. Yeah, those are safety glasses. No, I’m not wearing them for any particular reason. I just think they look nice.
        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...6-the-rpg-420/

March 31, 2016

Photos: RPG-420, Ian Brock, Joe Mallozzi, John Stead, Robbie David

I come downstairs for the Episode 211 props meeting and discover THIS prototype awaiting me. The art department has been relentless in its efforts to get these space bongs on the show. In the past, they’ve attempted to sneak them by as set dressing. Recently though, their efforts have grown more inspired, as I’m sure you’ll agree.

Dark Matter Production Designer Ian Brock demonstrates proper safety and handling of the RPG-420.

Just want to make sure the safety’s on…

Part of our SciFi Guys with Guns pictorial.

Meanwhile, upstairs, Stunt Coordinator John Stead demonstrates a less expensive approach to subduing the enemy – in this case, Production Manager Robbie David.

Less than three hours to cast your vote for a new episode title. If you only cast your ballot once this year, make sure it’s on this very important issue: What are we calling Dark Matter Episode 208?
          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-and-graphics/

April 1, 2016

Videos: Dark Matter - Marauder

Photo: Dark Matter episode title

Hurrah! The results are in and the fans have spoken. We have a brand new Dark Matter episode title:

“Episode 21: Stuff To Steal; People To Kill”.

I was just in editing on this one and I have a feeling it’s going to be a fan favorite.

I can’t believe we have a little over a month to go before we wrap production on Dark Matter’s second season. It’s gone by way too quickly – especially considering Paul and I still have to deliver the script for the season finale. The consensus response on the happenings in our penultimate episode, #212, was – if I may paraphrase – “Holy S#%t!!”. Well, if they thought that was big, they better be sitting down to read #213.

Goodies from 1st Assistant Art Director Kelly Diamond and the gang in playback:

sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...day-afternoon/

April 2, 2016

Photos: Bubba, Lulu

Oh, damn. Today, was our first early pre-flight weigh-in. Bubba tipped the scales at a negotiable 20.4 lbs. Lulu, however, was a robust 22.4 lbs! They both have to trim down to an even 20 lbs before they can fly. Fortunately for us, they have roughly two and a half months to get into shape!

Forget prep, production, and post – THE most stressful part of working on this show is transporting the dogs to B.C. and back. And we only have two!

A few of you have asked, so I’ll be honest with you. The day I adopt that third pug is the day I’ve decided to stay put in Vancouver.
              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...eaton-spotted/

April 3, 2016

Video: Star Trek White Noise Sleep Machine

Photos: Star Trek White Noise Sleep Machine, Wil Wheaton

Holy smokes! I was checking out my Facebook feed this morning when I came across a link to this over at thinkgeek.com:

It includes the ambient sounds from five different Enterprises plus sounds from engineering, two warp cores, and a Red Alert sound for the alarm function. AND it projects a moving star field on your ceiling.

AND it was just an April Fool’s gag.

I had showed it to Akemi and even SHE was excited about the prospect of getting one.

I am genuinely bummed.

Speaking of Star Trek, look who I happened across in the production offices the other day. Why, it’s none other than Dwarf Star Technology CEO, author, actor, and blogger Alexander Rook/Wil Wheaton. In a tie no less. AND sporting some killer kicks –

So WHAT was Rookie-Wheaton doing in our neck of the woods? And what does his presence hold in store for TWO? And what WAS the deal with that decrepit old man who was talking to Rook-Wheaton at the end of episode 12?

Well, guess we’ll never know.

Or will we…?

Yeah, we’ll know.
                sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ruiser-design/

April 4, 2016

Photos: Ishida cruiser, Ishida shuttle, Akemi, blog regular ceresis64, Joe Mallozzi

Let’s get the ball rolling on this totally awesome blog entry with these totally awesome Ishida cruiser designs by the totally awesome Jon Hrubesch. A LOT of wonderful variety to choose from here. We’re leaning a certain way, but would love to hear your thoughts.

If I can refresh your memories, THIS was the Ishida shuttle design you chose not too long ago:

Dark Matter co-creator, Paul Mullie, bowed out on taco dinners Saturday so that he could devote his entire weekend to episode 213, the BIG season finale. This morning, he delivered an impressive 35 pages – three acts and a bit. I took over today and got us to the top of page 45 and the beginning of Act V. I figure I’ll finish a draft by tomorrow, maybe Wednesday at the latest, and then pitch it back to Paul for the polish and finish. By next week, our finale will go wide…and people’s minds are gonna melt!

While Paul was slaving away over a hot laptop this past weekend, I was out and about, making the most of my two days off in advance of next Saturday’s 11 hour shoot day in the wilds of Hamilton. I met up with VFX Supervisor Lawren Bancroft-Wilson for those aforementioned tacos, swung by my favorite comic shop, and even met up with blog regular ceresis64 who was visiting all the way from Wales.

We grabbed some soft serve and chocolate and, of course, some snaps for the blog…

No spoilers were revealed – even though she did gift me with some Penderyn, a Welsh whisky (and the latest addition to the Dark Matter Whisky-ey Club!
                  sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...d-almost-done/

April 5, 2016

Video: Dark Matter - Target Locked!

Photo: Ishida Royal Guard sketch

A little something from the Dark Matter wardrobe department. Costume Designer Noreen Landry’s sketch of an Ishida Royal Guard.

Done and (almost) done! Today, I completed the preliminary first draft of our season finale, episode 213 (which you’ll be naming at some point in May). All I can say is: “Holy smokes!”. The script is now in Paul’s hands. He’ll do his final pass,pitch it back to me for my final final pass, then back to him for HIS final final final pass. And then, we’re officially done!

Until we receive notes from Jay. And we need to make changes during prep. But, come on. Don’t be so negative. Let’s celebrate this small victory with this intriguing but potentially disquieting piece of playback courtesy of Dark Matter 1st Assistant Art Director Kelly Diamond:
                    sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...rt-department/

April 6, 2016

Videos: Dark Matter

Photos: Dark Matter, Paula MacNeil, Laura Miyata

Well, I’m pleased to report we are in majority agreement. Presenting our choice for the Ishida cruiser:

Thanks to everyone who weighed in with their votes and opinions. And thanks to artist Jon Hrubesch for gorgeous design.

After Stargate ended, I would receive all sorts of request from fans for the onscreen graphics used at Stargate Command or the Destiny. Sadly, I never had the files so the best I could do was offer videos of the onscreen playback. I’ve sought to rectify that oversight on Dark Matter by uploading and spotlighting all of the amazing work being done by our own playback team led by 1st Assistant Art Director Kelly Diamond. A lot of these are simple non-featured background elements, but they add so much visual texturing to scenes and the amount of detail that goes into them is incredible…

(Graphics: Victor Mare)

(Graphics: Sumeet Vat)

(Graphics: Kelly Diamond)

Meanwhile, the props department has been hard at work, transforming this –

Into this –

Mighty impressive, no?

Meanwhile over on The Raza: Paula MacNeil and Laura Miyata take a break from the on-set action. These two need their own sitcom.
                      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...day-in-action/

April 7, 2016

Video: Dark Matter

Photos: Dark Matter, Paul Day

I’ve often drawn parallels between my experience working on Stargate and my experience here, working on Dark Matter – the production, the people, and the overall positive vibe. When Paul and I joined Stargate at the beginning of SG-1’s fourth season, we started off as co-producers but, thanks to the support of people like executive producers Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, we learned, took on more responsibilities, and developed as both writers and producers, gaining valuable experience on set, in prep, and in the editing room. Some eight years later, we were show runners.

And so it was with many of our fellow crew members who started small but dreamt big and, over time, were given the opportunities and support to develop their talents as writers, producers, and directors. And, I’m pleased to say, that the same supportive atmosphere and opportunities exist here on Dark Matter as well.

Paul Day has been a longtime editor; fantastic at his job. And, over the past couple of weeks, he was afforded the opportunity to step up, assume the directing reins, and start on the road to a whole other career in production. The reviews have been great – from my fellow producers, from the crew, and from Wendy Hallam-Martin, the editor cutting his episode.

Paul, directing in comfort.

Breaking down his shots in The Raza.

The Dolly Dance.

He’s a good guy and I’m very happy for him. I look forward to his director’s cut of episode 210. And more to come in time.
                        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ons-decisions/

April 8, 2016

All the idea spinning, story breaking, script writing, revising, rewriting, polishing, prepping, production, approvals, and post has finally caught up with me. I am officially “exhausted”. Sorry. With a capital E. “Exhausted”. On the one hand, I suppose I can look forward to the fact that the weekend is finally here. On the other, I can’t take much comfort in the weekend since we’re actually shooting tomorrow on location and I have to get up early for my 6 a.m. pick-up.

But there’s light at the end of the tunnel! Paul and I completed a rough first draft of the season finale the other day. We’re one month out from a second season wrap. And I’m two months out from returning to Vancouver. And that’s where the decisions await…

Do I convene the writers’ room and break season 3 with confidence that we’ll be getting that elusive pick-up, or do I follow my new agent’s advice and head to L.A. where I start taking meetings?

Do I concentrate on Dark Matter or do I full focus on setting up my other pilots?

Do I sell the house in Vancouver or do I hold onto it for now?

Do I adopt another pug or do I make do with only two dogs?

Whatever I decide, I can say that it has been an amazing season of television working with some of the most amazing people one could ever hope to work with. Yes, it’s been exhausting, but incredibly satisfying, and I can’t wait to blow you all away with Dark Matter’s second season. And it’s all gone perfectly according to plan, from Hyperion-8 to Eos-7, and when the final credits roll on episode 26 (title, of course, to be decided by YOU), we’ll be happily closing yet another chapter of this five part SF epic. Ideally, in time, I’ll get to finish the story I’ve envisioned – with the same people who made the show’s first two seasons such a memorable experience – and with all of its twists, turns, shocks, and surprises.

If not, all is not lost. Whether it’ll be through a novel, a comic book series or, hell, a breakdown right here on this blog, you WON’T be left hanging.
                          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...mas-in-action/

April 9, 2016

Photos: Mairzee Almas, Dark Matter

It hit me early this morning, at 4:15 am on the dot, rousing me from a deep slumber and striking me with the sheer obviousness of it all. The seemingly unconnected pieces actually came together in my dream, snapping together to offer an answer to a question I hadn’t even asked. Or even thought to ask. But now…NOW it makes perfect sense. I shared my theory with someone and, while he preferred to offer the benefit of the doubt, there’s no denying the “coincidental” nature of the seemingly unrelated developments. Damn. This may get ugly.

But that’s a confrontation for another time. Today, it was all about a rare Saturday shoot that saw me catching a lift to the deep freeze wilderness of Rockton with Episode 211 director Mairzee Almas (pictured above, imagining ahead during a location scout).

Mairzee hails from Vancouver where she’s worked on productions like Smallville, Lucifer, and The 100.

Mairzee is also an alum on a longtime Toronto production, a little show called Lost Girl, that some of you may be familiar with. So, when she rolled into the office the other week, there were smiles all around. I put an immediate stop to that. After all, as 1st Assistant Director Brandon Tataryn will tell you, there’s no smiling in prep.

Since you asked – you DID ask, didn’t you? – prep week went swimmingly. We discussed cabins, markets, llamas, clones, and, of course, guns.

Day 1 of production saw us on our standing Raza sets – infirmary, mess, bridge, corridors.

Day 2 saw us on our swing stage – transit room, corridor, and Marauder.

And our third – well, that was today. We had the chase. We had the talk. And the tearful farewell. It was quite a moment – and one I’d been planning since the summer of last year. Great, great performances. And a great, great director.
                            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...e-scenes-pics/

April 10, 2016

Photos: Melissa O’Neil, Dark Matter, Jozie Conte, Carolyn Arbuckle, Renee Chan, Lynda McCormack, Nicola Moss

I’m pleased to announce that Melissa O’Neil (Dark Matter’s kick-ass commander, TWO) has happily offered to find the time in her busy shooting and stunt rehearsal schedule to answer YOUR questions. Leave your burning queries in this blog’s comments section. I’ll gather them over the course of the next three or four days and then send them her way. She’s ready…

So post ’em if you got ’em.

A few behind-the-scene photos of a rare Saturday second unit shoot.

Director Mairzee Almas sets up at her impromptu work station.

A couple of questions here. What’s the deal with that cage? And what the heck are those metal obstructions?

Oh, okay. Now about that cage…

Um, this does NOT bode well.

And neither does this.

The Art Department sets up the big marshmallow-roast sequence.

I couldn’t ask for better company! From left to right: On-Set Costumes Supervisor Jozie Conte, Script Supervisor Carolyn Arbuckle, Key Hair Renee Chan, Key Make-Up Lynda McCormack, and On-Set Key Props Nicola Moss. Not pictured: EVERYONE ELSE!

Looks like another busy week ahead. Ivon will be out on location, overseeing the action with Director Mairzee Almas, while I prep Episode 212 with Stargate alum Will Waring (who hasn’t changed a bit!). Wonder how he’ll work a pineapple into THIS episode. For those who don’t know what I’m talking about (Pineapple?) or don’t know Will, here’s a past fan Q&A to get you up to date:

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...e-tour-part-v/

I’m in the editing room tomorrow afternoon with fabulous editor Ben Wilkinson, finishing my pass on Peter DeLuise’s director’s cut of Episode 208 (I’m just going to go ahead and boldly declare it a fan favorite)…which means it’s time for you, the fans, to vote on a NEW episode title. Stay tuned to this blog for details!

’til next time…

P.S. Did I mentioned Melissa O’Neil has agreed to do a fan Q&A and that you should definitely post your questions for her?
                              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...s-ask-melissa/

April 11, 2016

Videos: Dark Matter - Drone shoot, iPhone 6s

We kicked off the day with our Episode 212 stunt meeting. It mostly involved director Will Waring, stunt coordinator John Stead, and me debating the merits of various daggers. With that done, I left the blades behind (despite my better judgement) and headed out for a two hour clear-the-air sit-down during which I watched a heavy-set customer beside us consume an entire family bowl of breakfast chicken tenders. From there, it was back to the production offices for a quick lunch, then cross town to Urban for an afternoon of cuts and corrections with editor BenWilkinson of Episode 209.

While I spend my day in the relatively warm confines of civilization, Ivon was out in the wilderness of Rockton, overseeing production on Episode 211. Apparently, the snow-encrusted forest looked absolutely gorgeous this morning…

Then downright miserable when things warmed up and the surroundings turned into a muddy morass.

Meanwhile, there was a little dronery going on as captured by Ivon Bartok (he snapped the above pics as well). What’s the deal? Well, it won’t be long ’til you find out!

Speaking of Things To Look Forward To – Dark Matter’s TWO, Melissa O’Neil, will be doing a fan Q&A on this blog. If you have a burning question for #2Boss, post it in the comments section. You’ll have until Wednesday night!

On a non-Dark Matter-related note – If you liked this commercial:

You’ll love these outtakes:

Finally, back to Dark Matter, let me leave you with this:

https://www.inverse.com/article/1403...re-they-return
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X