Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...h-inquisition/

February 5, 2013

Videos: The Superbowl’s Most Controversial Ads

Photos: SGA's Inquisition, Thobias

The Superbowl is never without its share of controversy. Power issues. Blown calls. And, of course, the commercials!

What am I talking about? Well, find out for yourself. Presenting, the most controversial ads in superbowl history…

Holiday Inn compares itself to a post-op transexual:

Apple’s depresssing misstep:

The great Fred Astaire dances with a vaccuum cleaner, compliments of Dirt Devil:

Lifeminders’ self-proclaimed worst commercial. Coincidentally, they’re no longer in business:

Just For Feet’s superbowl commercial was so controversial, it’s almost impossible to tack down. Check it out here:

http://adland.tv/commercials/just-fe...n-1999-030-usa

Ah, women. So bossy and temperamental. So says Pepsi:

Snickers manages to simultaneously offend homophobes and the LGBT community:

The HomeAway test baby:

Save the whales money with Groupon!:

Free Tibet! I mean Save with Groupon!:

Ah, Ching Ching and Ling Ling! We hardly knew you:

This year’s Volkswagon ad featuring a white guy speaking with a Jamaican accent (and attitude) sparked controvery. Some found it racist. Interestingly, all of my Jamaican friends found it hilarious:

And then there was this year’s Go Daddy ad that featured model Bar Rafaeli making out with some uber-nerd – complete with close-ups of them tonguing each other. Yech!:

Our walk down Atlantis memory lane continues with...

INQUISITION (513)

There invariably comes a time in every season when the producers take a look at the bottom line and realize they’re over-budget and need to come up with a relatively inexpensive episode to put the show back on track – and, more importantly, ensure there is enough money for the big season-ender. Desperate times call for desperate measures. And just how desperate depends on how much money you’re looking to save. If you’re in not bad shape, you can look to do bottle show, an episode that takes place on the existing standing sets. No extra builds or moves to exterior locations are a big money-saver. An even bigger money saver is to eschew the bottle show in favor of the dreaded clip show, an episode that makes use of pre-existing material to tell a story. Sometimes, they can be great. While other times…well, they can be pretty forgettable.

One of the keys to producing a good clip show (relatively speaking) is to have a great story at its core – and, in the case of Inquistion, we had a pretty good one: Finally, after so many years of playing the role of galactic policeman, the Atlantis expedition was being held accountable for their actions. One the one hand, they had successfully defended the inhabitants of the Pegasus Galaxy from the wraith. On the other hand, at what cost? And there’s also an argument to be made for the fact that their presence in the Pegasus Galaxy only exacerbated the problem. It was an interesting debate that fandom had been heatedly discussing for years and, while there weren’t any easy answers, there were some convincing arguments on both sides. This then was the premise of the episode – at turns controversial and complex. But, hopefully, all sorts of entertaining as we would include flashbacks to various spectacular situations from seasons past. As clips shows went, it was a tall order – and it happened to fall on first-time writer – and longtime Stargate script coordinator Alex Levine.

Alex was more than up to the challenge. It was a tough script but, ultimately, a great learning experience – as he explained on his SciFi.com blog:

Inquisition’ is a clip show, [and] that didn’t make it any easier to write. You see, there’s a particular aspect of writing clip shows that’s extra tough, and that is the part where they move in and out of the clips. Of course Paul Mullie, who did the re-write and produced the episode, has lots of clip show experience, but this was my first attempt. And writing specs and other scripts didn’t prepare me one bit. So let’s just say it was a great learning experience.

“At the end of the day, the writing staff was very kind. They met with me on my first draft, gave me notes and some time to re-write the script. I did another draft too on another round of notes. In the writing I found some things about the characters and the story that worked well; other stuff was discarded. There’s certainly some of my writing in the finished product, but I must credit Paul Mullie and the writing staff with much of the episode’s success. And my experience is not unlike other first time writers of any show. Stargate is no exception.

“The coolest part of the show, which is always why people watch clip shows, is that you’ll get to see pretty much every cool space battle we’ve done. There’s also great acting in this one — keep your eyes open for the character of Myrus (the Council Liaison), who is played by my real life brother, Tobias Slezak (different last name). He did a great job.”

Many of you will recognize his brother, Thobias, from SG-1?s Heroes in which he played the part of Tech Sergeant Dale James, or more recently from the SGU episodes Intervention and Visitation in which he played the part of Peter, or, perhaps even more recently, from my Superbowl get-together where he played the part of “Guy scoffing down doughnuts” -

As for brother Alex, his writing career continued to blossom post-Stargate with credits on King, The Border, Verdict, Flashpoint, and an upcoming scifi series.

I knew him when...
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...tival-tour-ii/

February 6, 2013

Photos: The Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival

My Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival tour continues with visits to...

Bengal Dream: Milk chocolate with sweet spices (chai) served with caramelized honey and orange palmier.

Available: February 2 – February 14 at Bel Cafe 801 West Georgia Street @ Howe (at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia)

http://www.belcafe.com/

A little sweet but some very nice flavors. The palmier packed quite a sweet punch as well.

Pretty in Pink: White chocolate with rose and raspberry, served with a vanilla bean shortbread.

Available: January 19 – February 1 at Bel Cafe 801 West Georgia Street @ Howe (at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia)

http://www.belcafe.com/

As Akemi pointed out, white chocolate-based hot chocolates are the toughest because, all too often, the sweetness of the white chocolate overwhelms the other ingredients. Conversely, attempts to balance the flavors can result in overkill. In this case, however, it worked – a perfect marriage of white chocolate and rose.

Raspberry Beret: Raspberry-infused white, milk, or dark Belgian hot chocolate. Prepared fresh to order, by blending whole chocolate pieces into steamed milk, topped with vanilla whipped cream, served with a trio of Bittered Sling-infused meringue cookies by Kale & Nori Culinary Arts.

Available: Every day of the festival at Blenz 708 Thurlow St. (at West Georgia), Vancouver. (Downtown Central).

http://blenz.com/

Fairly bursting with raspberry flavor but never overwhelming the chocolate, this one was a pleasant surprise although it was a little thinner than the offerings at some of the other places we’ve checked out on this tour.

Shirokuma: White hot chocolate with Japanese matcha, served with a trio of Bittered Sling-infused meringue cookies by Kale & Nori Culinary Arts.

Available: Every day of the festival at Blenz 708 Thurlow St. (at West Georgia), Vancouver. (Downtown Central).

http://blenz.com/

Shirokuma is Japanese for polar bear (shiro = white, kuma = bear) and is apparently, according to Akemi, a very popular flavor back in Japan. While good, the sweetness of the chocolate overshadowed the delicate matcha flavor.

Both hot chocolates were accompanied by a tasty assortment of meringues compliments of Kale & Nori Culinary Arts.

Cherry Bon Bon: Hot Chocolate with Cacao Barry Extra Brute Cocoa and sour cherries, topped with house-made sour cherry marshmallows, and served with a pecan fruit crisp.

Available: February 1-14 at Terra Breads 2380 West 4th Avenue (@ Balsam)

Weak and surprisingly devoid of any real chocolate flavor. I actually wondered whether real chocolate was used.

Blond Mystique: Roasted white chocolate, candy cap, and cognac hot chocolate. Served with a brown butter Caramelia financier. (Candy cap is a unique small mushroom, that when dried, has the aroma and flavour of earthy maple syrup.

Available: Every day of the festival at 1 Water Street, Vancouver (In Gastown)

http://www.secretlocation.ca/

Everyone else found it too boozy but I loved this incredibly flavorful drink.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels: Smoked cinnamon mocha with chocolate marshmallows and caramel powder. Served with Manjari chocolate brownie.

Fine but, ultimately, it just tasted like a flavored coffee.

Aphrodite: Nyangbo and parsnip hot chocolate, topped with whipped chocolate ganache and parsnip milk jam. Served with English Breakfast gelato.

A gorgeous, multi-layered drink. A lot going on here. This was everyone else’s favorite. For my part, I couldn’t get past the parsnip flavor.

Monty’s Heat: A spicy hot dark chocolate.

Available: February 2-8 at Gem Chocolates 2029 West 41st Avenue, Vancouver.

www.gemchocolates.ca

Some very nice, deep flavors that didn’t really pack a whole lot of heat. A very good drinking chocolate but a little weaker than some of the others we’ve sampled.

One In A Million: Hot chocolate made with Maranon (the world’s rarest chocolate), served with a chocolate-dipped madeleine.

Available: January 30 – February 10 at Thierry Chocolaterie Patisserie Cafe 1059 Alberni Street

http://www.thierrychocolates.com/

Delicious, possessed of a nice rich fullness, I only wish it had been a little thicker.
      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-the-prodigal/

February 7, 2013

Video: Bubba

Photos: Dog outfits, SGA's The Prodigal

Akemi has caught the dog fashion bug! Over the last couple of days, she’s been hard at work, snipping, sewing, and generally cannibalizing some of her older outfits, transforming them into haute canine couture. Check out her Fall Collection so far:

Meanwhile, a naked pudgy Bubba awaits his first outfit...

Sadly, Akemi is running out of material as we cleared out our closet and dropped off our old clothing at one of the local donation bins last month. It was while we were searching through the drawers last night that the idea came to me: “Hey, you know where we can find some old clothes? The local donation bin.” Strangely, she wasn’t thrilled with my suggestion.

Continuing our Days of Stargate Past reminiscing with...

THE PRODIGAL (514)

One of the high points of Atlantis’s fifth season was this episode (compliments of Executive Producer Carl Binder) that saw the return of Michael, one of the show’s most colorfully nuanced villains. The episode includes Michael and Ronon going a mano a mano in the control room followed by tower-top battle between Michael and Sheppard. While the latter was being shot, at one point, Joe Flanigan’s stuntman lost his balance and went off the tower (fear not, he was cabled and there were some nice comfy mats to cushion his fall), which prompted actor Connor Trinneer to throw up his arms and triumphantly proclaim: “I win!”.

Teyla’s decision to – let’s not mince words here - murder Michael engendered a fair amount of controversy. Was she justified in her actions? Did the fact that she was a mother protecting her child color your opinion of her actions?
        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...in-restaurant/

February 8, 2013

Photos: Pidgin Restaurant, Akemi

Akemi and I don’t get out as much as we used to but, the other night, we hung up our pots and pans (and packed away the sous vide machine) in favor of a night out. We headed to Gastown to check out Pidgin, one of the newest additions (less than a week old!) to the local dining scene. The man behind the menu, Chef Makoto Ono, was the winner of the first Canadian Culinary Championship at Gold Medal Plates back in 2007. Since then, he has opened Makoto restaurant in Beijing, as well as Liberty Exchange and Liberty Private Works (which made the World’s Best 50 Restaurants) in Hong Kong. And finally, Chef Ono has set up shop in Vancouver.

I’ve heard the menu described as mix of French, Japanese, and Korean influences with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients. Akemi and I were intrigued...

The menu is a one-sheet covering everything from appetizers to larger plates, the individual prices a guide to their relative portion sizes. We started small and worked our way up.

The rice crackers and sweet soy anchovies weren’t my thing (as I enjoy neither rice cracker or anchovies) but Akemi is a big fan of both and loved this starter.

More my speed where the fried shisito (Japanese) peppers with parmesan and pine nuts. I’m a big fan of their sweet and slightly bitter taste, also the fact that roughly one in every three is mouth-blastingly hot.

One of the highlights of the night, however, was the sea urchin with cauliflower mousse, ponzu jalapeno salsa, and dashi. Forget what you think you know about sea urchin. Most of the stuff served at many sushi restaurants is packaged and possessed of an unpleasant funkiness. But get them fresh – as served here – and they’re nothing but creamy sweetness melting in your mouth. I ended up having two servings.

Akemi also did a wedge salad with tofu dressing, nori, and bonito flakes. Again, not my thing but very much hers.

The only dish that didn’t impress was the Korean rice cakes with pork belly with tomato sauce and furikake. It wasn’t bad, but I thought the belly and rice cakes an odd textural combination.

On the other hand, there was the other highlight of the night: beef tongue and cheek with broccoli pistou and mustard. A marvelous dish but, I thought, a little pricey given the portion size.

We had three options for dessert and, rather than risk second-guessing myself, I decided to go with all three.

The black sesame cream with red bean and snow fungus was interesting and I loved the little crunch imparted by the fungus, but it felt like a very good Chinese dessert – which is my way of saying it was better than what I’d expected but not something I’d order again.

The chocolate fritters with the matcha dipping sauce were a bittersweet treat. My only quibble was that the chocolate inside the fritters hadn’t totally melted and were solid and cool at their center.

The meringue with yuzu curd, vanilla, and celery (Yes, celery!) was excellent – and Akemi’s favorite. This was the dish she was talking about on the way home.

The verdict? Akemi put it best: fresh, clean flavors.

We’ll definitely be back and, on our return visit, I’m definitely getting the one menu item I regretted missing: the foie gras rice bowl with chesnuts, daikon, and unagi glaze!
          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...past-remnants/

February 9, 2013

Photos: Dog outfits, SGA's Remnants

Akemi is still at it, expanding her doggy wardrobe.

Continuing our stroll down SGA memory lane with one of my favorites...

REMNANTS (515)

This one was a personal favorite for several reasons. It offered action, humor, surprises and, best of all, genuinely heart-felt character moments brilliantly conveyed by our amazing cast and guest stars. It was also a bit of a ***** to write and, as such, incredibly satisfying to finish, a fairly complex script that required a proper balancing act of three seemingly separate storylines – and their ultimate convergence at episode’s end. My fellow Exec Producer, Carl Binder, considered it my best script of the show’s fifth season. My other fellow Exec Producers, however, weren’t quite as enamored. Rob Cooper felt it was “too literary” (which I thought was a nice compliment until I realized it was actually a criticism). He, and Exec Producer Martin Gero, also felt I was way too rough on our hero, Sheppard. My writing partner, Paul, meanwhile, had only one real objection – and that was the chopping off of Sheppard’s hand, for both creative and production reasons. Yes, I agree that Sheppard does suffer greatly but I argue it’s fine because, at the end of the day, it’s all in his head. Also, the Shep-whumpers reaaaallly needed this one!

Just so much to say about this episode – and I already have. Some Remnants-related past blog entries you might want to check out:

November 15, 2008: The Remnants Write-up - In which I offer some insight into my inspiration for this script (Harvey and a desire to complete Richard Woolsey’s rehabilitation from pencil-pushing suit to lovable Commander) as well as behind the scene photos and a breakdown of some of the scenes, beats, and dialogues that didn’t make the final cut.

July 22, 2008: Remnants Day #1 Behind the scene pics in Woolsey’s quarters.

July 23, 2008: Burgers then Back on the Program then Remnants Day #2 Behind the scene pics of the McKay/Zelenka scenes.
            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-plan-my-life/

February 10, 2013

Okay. I’ve gone back and forth on this for close to a year now and I’ve finally made a decision. I’ve decided that I have to decide one way or the other.

I’ve tried to apply logic, then emotion, then allowed fate to make the decision for me. No luck. Neither logic nor emotion arrived at a satisfactory conclusion and fate was evidently too busy to get involved. And so, I find myself turning to the only logical option available to me: a blog reader vote.

So what do you level-headed types think? Should I sell the house or not?

Wait! Don’t answer yet! Let me lay out the arguments for both sides before you weigh in...

SELL THE HOUSE

As much as I love my home, there’s no denying the fact that I only make active use of maybe a third of the living space. Three of the four upstairs bedrooms go unused, as do the main floor office and sitting room. And, as much as I love the downstairs theater room, the only time I’m ever really in there is when the guys are over for Football Sundays. Realistically, I use the master bedroom, the kitchen and adjoining sitting area, and the downstairs workout room. The rest is either dead space or gorgeous storage area.

Akemi has been dying to move to the downtown area for quite some time. The house, while beautiful, is a little out of the way, meaning she either takes the bus or relies on me to drive her wherever she needs to go. A more central location would allow her more freedom. It would also, as we learned in Toronto, open up more social opportunities as we’d get to know many more neighbors.

Vancouver has been ranked as North America’s priciest city (Vancouver ranked North America’s priciest city), beating out both Los Angeles and New York! While the local condo market has done nicely, home prices have fared even better and my house, which I purchased for what I thought was a ridiculous sum many years ago, is worth considerably more now. If I were ever thinking of selling, now would be the time as the local real estate market is finally showing signs of softening. I sell the house, downsize to a comfy, modestly-priced condo, clear all existing debts and bank the rest.

KEEP THE HOUSE

Given my European background, the ultimate goal of owning a home is as engrained in me as my love of pasta and fancy ties. Where I am now, I don’t have to worry about noisy neighbors or parking or strata regulations. In the summer, I can sit out in my back yard and let the dogs run loose, something I couldn’t do in a condo. If the dogs need to go out, I don’t have to ride down an elevator to a green area. All I can have to do is open the back door and let them out. I can work out as early or as late as I like, while watching whatever I like, without having to wait for equipment or having to share with sweaty others. I can host Football Sunday on the big screen. And, most importantly, I don’t have to move and/or find storage space for all the (valuable) crap I’m amassed over the years!

So that’s what it comes down to. Basically. Either I keep the house or move into a condo. And, no, there is no compromise solution in which I happen to find a beautiful albeit smaller house that also happens to be centrally located.

IF I we do decide to sell the house, then this gives rise to another question: rent or buy?

BUY A CONDO

When I told a friend’s wife that I was weighing whether to buy or rent, she looked at me as if I was crazy. ”If you cash out,”she told me, “you’ll never be able to buy back in.” Maybe and, then again, maybe not, but it’s certain that had I sold my house at any point in time between when I bought it and early last year, I certainly wouldn’t have been able to buy it back for a ballpark price. There’s simply no way to outguess the market. My writing partner, Paul, admonished me for even considering it. In his mind, you sell to buy – that way, you remain on even footing. Yes, ideally, it would be great if you sold at a point when the market was softening, banked the cash from the sale, then waited a few years to buy back in when the market was down. But what if the market doesn’t go down? What if the market actually goes up? Maybe Paul is right. Don’t try to outguess the market. And, for what it’s worth, in my experience, real estate has proven itself the safest of investments.

RENT A CONDO

Are you kidding? The local real estate market has softened for the first time in a decade and signs are pointing to a continuing downward trend. As I already mentioned, while home sales are feeling the pinch, condos are feeling it even more as construction continues unabated.

So, what’s it going to be? Let’s wrap this up. I’ve got a bunch more life-altering issues to sort out!
              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ble-hulk-2008/

February 11, 2013

Photos: The Incredible Hulk (2008)

This movie be improvement over first Hulk film de way a bad cold be improvement over Type A influenza. In retrospekt, you not want to subject yourself to either but, hey, in dis case beggars Supermovie of de Week Club reviewers can’t be choosers. Still, whereas first movie be uniformly stoopid-ridikulous throughout, dis Hulk movie start off entertaining-promising before shifting gears to dull-prediktable and finally downshifting to stoopid-ridikulous for last turd.

Sekwel pick up where first movie leave off. Bruce Banner now living incognito in Rio de Janeiro (just like Grover after he knock up Swedish Chef’s niece Torbjorg!). He work at South Amerikan soda plant where duties inklude fixing tings and pissing off co-workers wit his gringo ways. Off-hours, he enjoy spending time wit his dog, meditating to control his heart rate, and trying to find cure for his Hulkitis. BUT one day, he cut himself at work and drop of blood contaminate a bottle. It end up getting shipped to U.S. where it unwittingly get drinked by Stan Lee (Seriously. Dese Stan Lee cameos be best ting about dese movies!). Before you can say “Excelsior!”, word get out and General Thunderbolt Ross dispatch army to GET HIM!

Army ambush Banner. Chase ensue – part of which take dem across rooftops of favela (Brazilian shantytown). Dis, of course, be a scene required for every movie dat shoot in Rio. Eventually, Bruce cornered in bottling plant where he beaten up by co-workers he happen to come across. He Hulk Out, kick some ass, and disappear.

He awaken some time later in Guatemala where he ask some guy for a lift. A couple of scenes later, Bruce be back in U.S. wit new clothes. How dis possible? Did he have cash and fake visa stashed away somewhere? Did sekret anonymous benefaktor make arrangents? Or did guy give him lift all de way from Guatemala in his jeep? We never find out but it would be nice to know.

It be at dis point in de movie when tings get a lot less interesting. Bruce make contakt wit his old girlfriend, Betty. But Betty’s new boyfriend, Phil Dumphy from Modern Family, find dis uncool and report him to General Ross. Army be dispatched. Bruce Hulk Out! More middling visual effekts! And, again Hulk get away (although monster seriously wonder where, exaktly, giant green guy can hide even if he can jump really far).

Bruce eventually hook up wit Betty again and dey track down mysterious Mr. Blue who working on serum to cure Bruce of Hulkism (also work on psoriasis!). He try it on Bruce and it work! At which point lab crashed by army! Bruce and Betty on de run – but get captured. Meanwhile, crazy soldier stay behind and force Mr. Blue to injekt him wit Banner’s blood. He mutate into…an Abomination! Giant, grey and bony! But, unlike Hulk, he speak perfekt English and still get to keep his quaint English accent.

General Ross learn about Abomination rampage. Bruce tell him only way to stop him be by letting him Hulk Out. Ross say okie-doke. BUT Bruce took serum! It possible for him to turn back into Hulk? How to know? Run on de spot until heart rate go up? Cut himself? Get soldier to slap him around? No! He trow himself out of a helikopter! HUH?!!

Cue silly monster fight. Hulk win and about to kill Abomination when Betty scream: “No!” and make Hulk stop. Not sure why. Mebbe she want to adopt adorable psychotic mutant? Who wouldn’t?!

Movie end in British Columbia where Bruce able to control his heart rate for 31 days – and den Hulk Out!

Movie also end wit Tony Stark approach General Ross in a bar about “putting a team together”. What could he be talking about?! All superhero volleyball dream team for next Olympics? Monster so excited!

Verdikt: Not terrible but not good. Dis movie be about as enjoyable as your kid’s piano recital. (Pleaze don’t lie to yourself).

Rating: 5 chocolate chippee cookies.
                sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...hot-chocolate/

February 12, 2013

Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer their sage advice on my recent “dilemma of the day” (February 10, 2013: Let’s all pitch in and help me plan my life!). I was actually leaning one way but, after reading some very convincing arguments, am now reconsidering. Tomorrow, I’ll be meeting with my accountant who will no doubt help shed some light on/further complicate the issue.

Meanwhile, things are…progressing (?) on the projects front…

The SF series: Hmmm. I was kind of hoping we would have received the good word by now (that word, of course, being: “Go!”). We have broadcasters on board but require another piece or two of the financial puzzle to complete the package. I refuse to end up in a situation where I’m expected to produce a show with little cash but a lot of good intentions. Space ships don’t come cheap, y’know?

The Urban Fantasy series: We’ll be delivering our second draft tomorrow. Word is we’ll be shooting the pilot this spring. Beyond that…who knows?

The other SF series: Has garnered a fair amount of interest on the concept alone (based on a pre-existing literary work). It’s with the lawyers now and, whenever the deal gets sewn up, we can finally start working on the script.

The Drama spec: While the aforementioned are all very promising paying gigs, it never hurts to have a few scripts under your belt…just in case. I’ve decided to simply go ahead and outline this female-driven “fish-out-of-water” pilot. I’ll spend a few days beating it out and then, once a satisfactory structure is in place, I’ll crack open a bottle of Jagermeister and spend the weekend hammering out that first draft.

The SF/Horror/Fantasy spec: Ah, why choose one when you can do all three at the same time? Colorful characters! Humor! Over-the-top action! Writing this one will be a lot fun – provided I have the time.

The Horror movie: It went out a couple of months ago and has engendered some interest, but nothing solid. This one seems like a no-brainer to me and, depending on how these other projects pan out, I’m thinking of pulling it back in March, financing it through Kickstarter, and producing it myself.

The Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival ends in three days! You better move quickly if you want to check out the 50-some flavors available around town.

I, of course, have been trying my best. But, evidently, my best won’t be good enough in the end. Still, I gave it a game effort.

I started off sampling fourteen different hot chocolates in the the first week of the festival: January 31, 2013: The Hot Chocolate Festival!

Followed by another ten soon after: February 6, 2013: The Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival Tour II!

And, most recently:

Tosca: Dark chocolate and rum served with a choice of chocolate or liege waffle sample.

Available: Every day of the festival at Leonidas #29 – 1055 Canada Place (Vancouver Convention Centre West), Vancouver.

www.leonidaswaterfront.com

A fine hot chocolate though a touch too boozy.

Frozen Noisette: Melted praline blended into frozen yogurt, topped with a shot of melted chocolate, and finished with crushed hazelnuts. Served with a choice of chocolate or liege sample waffle.

Available: Every day of the festival at Leonidas #29 – 1055 Canada Place (Vancouver Convention Centre West), Vancouver.

www.leonidaswaterfront.com

A double rarity: gjianduja-based cold hot chocolate. And it was utterly, doubly delicious.

Beyond the Milky Way: Dark chocolate (64%) made with almond milk and coconut milk, flavoured with natural pear extract. Dairy free.

Available: February 2-8 at French Made Baking 81 Kingsway, Vancouver

http://frenchmadebaking.com

Liked the chocolate a lot but thought it was weakened by the almond and coconut milk. The pear was very subtle.

Rose of Ecuador: 64% dark chocolate – origin: Ecuador. Infused with rose petals, and served with choice of chocolate square.

Available: Every day of the chocolate festival at Chocolaterie de la Nouvelle France 198 East 21st Ave., Vancouver, B.C.

www.chocolaterienouvellefrance.ca

Finally! A rose-infused version that makes use of dark chocolate instead of the standard white. And it was wonderful. A perfect balance of flavors. That gang here definitely know their hot chocolate!

Anise: 64% dark chocolate – origin: Mexico. Infused with aniseed, and served with choice of chocolate square.

Available: Every day of the chocolate festival at Chocolaterie de la Nouvelle France 198 East 21st Ave., Vancouver, B.C.

With the exception of the Orange Blossom, every hot chocolate I’ve had at Chocolaterie de la Nouvelle France has been incredibly well-balanced. Here, the licorice flavor is present but compliments rather than conquers the chocolate.

The Emily Rose: Orange drinking chocolate, topped with housemade rose-coconut marshmallows.

Available: February 2- 14 at Cocoa Nymph 3739 W. 10th Ave (at Alma), Vancouver
                  www.cocoanymph.co

Cocoa Nymph makes a damn fine cup of hot chocolate. The tartness of the orange combined with the sweetness of the coconut and the bitterness of the dark chocolate to deliver one of Akemi’s favorites.

The Josiah: Basil drinking chocolate topped with housemade strawberry marshmallows.

Available: February 8 – 14 at Cocoa Nymph 3739 W. 10th Ave (at Alma), Vancouver
                  www.cocoanymph.co

Basil drinking chocolate? Really? Oh, yeah. Really! I was admittedly dubious but one taste thoroughly won me over. The best hot chocolate I had this week.

I’m really going to have to make these last few days count!

3rd-vancouver-hot-chocolate-festival
                  sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ta-save-dutch/

February 13, 2013

Videos: Pugs

Photos: Vancouver, pugs, Akemi

So I went to see my accountant today. What I was expecting would be a twenty minute chat turned into a grueling two hour session involving assets, liabilities, flow-charts, and lots and lots of math. My decision to deal with certain outstanding issues has opened up a host of new outstanding issues which, as I mentioned in a previous post, involve the house. Either I keep it and take on debt or sell it in favor of a far less attractive lifestyle. I’ve already outlined the pros and cons of both decisions -

Keep the house: Pros (home ownership, a great place to raise my dogs, don’t have to deal with noisy neighbors or nosey stratas, a fairly solid investment, not sure where I’d put all my stuff if I downsize) and Cons (I only use about half the space, the market is softening and now “might” be a good time to get out, Akemi feels isolated here).

Sell the house: Pros (I’d be debt free, the dogs were in the best shape of their lives when we were living in a condo in T.O., opportunity to broaden our social horizons) and Cons (the potential for strata headaches, annoying neighbours, taking the dogs out would be so much more of a hassle – especially Jelly who can barely walk much less do stairs, to say nothing of the pain-in-the-ass move).

Originally, I thought maybe selling wouldn’t be such a bad idea. My house is paid off and would command a handsome price. I could get a gorgeous condo for half the price. Now would be the time to sell as the local real estate market is showing signs of a downturn for the first time in over a decade. BUT the more I thought about it, the more I realized that if the real estate market did take a dive, condos would be feeling the hurt A LOT more than detached homes. Every 5% drop in home value would probably see a commensurate 15% drop in the value of condos since there are so damn many of them and they just keep on making more! I thought that settled the issue until Akemi rightly pointed out that a 5% drop in the value of my home would see me lose significantly more than a 15% drop in whatever condo I bought.

And sadly, no, downsizing to a smaller home isn’t an option. I couldn’t get one any closer to downtown (a big reason for selling the house in the first place). Downtown Vancouver is all glass and steel boxes with little green space -

While the fact that it’s surrounded by water makes the commute in a hassle of varying degrees -

ALSO, the smaller detached dwellings would be even harder to sell if things go sideways. Yes, I could keep the house and get Akemi a car but that only addresses one small issue of the many I’m juggling. Renting out the house while living in a condo would actually be the worst case scenario as I would then ALSO have to take out a loan for the downpayment on the condo and be faced with financial catastrophe in the event the real estate market goes bust and I’m stuck with two rapidly depreciating properties.

I can’t help but think that if I had seriously applied myself to winning the lottery instead of slacking off, all of these problems could have been avoided.

Sigh.

Well, maybe this will cheer me up. Pictures and video of Lulu (in the stylish blue sweater) at the last French Bulldog meet-up:

And, finally, on the subject of dogs -

Does a dog have the right to protect itself from an abuser? Not in Montrose, Colorado apparently. Read Dutch’s story here: http://www.examiner.com/article/vale...id=db_articles

Then lend your support here: Save Dutch Facebook and here: Save Dutch petition
                    sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...h-brain-storm/

February 14, 2013

Photos: Akemi, SGA's Brain Storm, Martin Gero, Neil de Grasse Tyson, Bill Nye, Martin Gero, Mika McKinnon, Carl Binder

I celebrated today by going out for dim sum with my buddies Rob and Ivon, and then hopping on a twenty minute “project update” phone call with our business partner, Jay, in Toronto. Yeah, I’m a hopeless romantic. Tonight, I look forward to an enchanting evening with my gal, one that will be highlighted by dinner, drinks and, of course, a late work-out while we watch the latest episode of Top Chef. P.S. Akemi’s Valentine’s Day gift pictured above. Her favorites!

Speaking of romance – We continue our trip down SGA memory lane with...

BRAIN STORM (516)

This one was surprisingly controversial when it aired (apparently, certain fans weren’t big on Rodney and Jennifer finally hooking up), but a hell of a lot of fun to shoot. Originally titled Snow Globe, it was the show’s answer to the network’s request for a green-themed episode. Martin Gero went above and beyond the call on this one, delivering a script that was smart, touching and, above all, fun. And, I mean, how could it not be fun with guest stars like Dave Foley, Billy Nye, and Neil deGrasse Tyson!

Brain Storm marked Marty G’s directorial debut – and, sadly, his last Atlantis script. But he went out with a bang. Of freeze lightning...
                      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ast-infection/

February 15, 2013

Videos: SGA's Infection

Photos: SGA's Infection, Alan McCullough, Paul McGillion

A surprisingly productive day. The network notes on our first draft of the scifi pilot were minimal. We’ll take the weekend to address them and turn around the next draft (really, what amounts to a polish) by early next week after which it’ll “go wide”.

Also got an update from our business partner on those final pieces of the financial puzzle. Decisions have been bogged down by two confusingly unrelated stumbling blocks. 1. Apparently, potential partners are being inundated with “fantasy” projects and, despite attempts to set them straight, lump “science fiction” in the same category. 2. A past, er, soap opera-esque SF series (someone once described as Grey’s Anatomy in space) has scared some of the genre – despite the fact that that particular show was so atypical of most scifi on television. On the bright side, our business partner is confident the deal will get done – but it may take a little longer than we’d hoped.

Oh, and yeah, speaking of fantasy shows – we also received some great feedback on the second draft of that urban fantasy series we’re developing for another network. I expect another round of tweaks at which point THAT script will “go wide”.

An interesting development on the horror script front. A major player is apparently “intrigued” by the concept – which is all well and good but, while we’re waiting, our business partner on the other two projects expressed a desire to shoot a low budget horror script in the coming months and, hey, would we happen to have one? As a matter of fact…. I sent him the script yesterday. He’ll read it this weekend and, if it’s something he likes…dare I say it? Smoooooooth sailing!

Finally, I spent most of the afternoon (and much of yesterday) beating out the story for that female protagonist-centered drama series. Love what I have so far – which is two and a half acts and the last few scenes. I just need to figure out the details of the MacGuffin (“a plot device in the form of some goal, desired object, or other motivator that the protagonist (and sometimes the antagonist) is willing to do and sacrifice almost anything to pursue, protect or control” – Wikipedia). A couple of more days of dedicated mulling and I can actually start writing.

File this one under “Stargate Kid Makes Good”. Rumor has it that Jason Momoa is circling the part of Drax the Destroyer in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie: Jason Momoa Offered Lead Role in Marvel’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’

Continuing our trip down SGA memory lane with...

INFECTION (517)

What is it they say about the road to Hell being paved with good intentions? Oh, yeah. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. On the one hand, our heroes have discovered a means of weaning wraith off their need to feed. On the other hand, the solution transforms the wraith into hideous mutations. Well, what do they say about having to break a few eggs to make an omelette? Oh, yeah. You can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. Hmmmm. I know at least one pale, soul-sucking alien who might take offense.

All in all, a great monster-themed episode, and the last Stargate script by writer-producer Alan McCullough.

Did he just say “Muh”?
                        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ssert-tasting/

February 16, 2013

Videos: The liquid nitrogen ice cream-making process

Photos: Beta 5, Akemi, Dana, Matt, Jess Rosinski, Adam Chandler

Last night, Akemi and I attended a Valentine Dessert Tasting at Beta 5, Vancouver’s premiere chocolate (and cream puff!) shop. I know, I know. It was actually the day after Valentine’s Day – but we were out for dinner the previous night and would have had to cut it kind of tight. And so, instead, we made the reservations for the the 15th, thus enabling us to head over with plenty of time to spare following a leisurely and light fish and salad dinner.

Beta 5 is located on Industrial Avenue just a ways off Main Street. Not exactly easy to get to, but always worth the effort. Akemi and I are huge fans of their chocolates (their award-winning banana chocolates are the best I’ve ever had and we never fail to pick up a couple of packages of their aerated dark chocolate “rocks” whenever we drop by) as well as the aforementioned cream puffs (also the best I’ve ever had). And, in addition to their regular offerings, owner Adam Chandler and his partner Jess Rosinski always surprise with ever-changing monthly specials: gelees, polygon bars, and chocolate-covered fruit and nuts.

Akemi and I arrived early and joined another couple on a tour of the Beta 5 kitchen...

We ended up sitting with a couple (Dana and Matt) who took two buses to get there from the UBC campus (didn’t I say it was worth the effort?). As it turned out, they had both studied Japanese and spent some time in Japan. What are the chances?

Our dessert tasting was made up of six courses paired with various wines – champagne, sake, whites, and ending with a port. Up first…

I passed on the first glass because I’m not fan of champagne, preferring the sparkling sweetness of an Italian muscat. The strawberries were lightly carbonated and the jello very subtle, but the champagne granite possessed a borderline bitter dryness that made this one my least favorite plate.

Akemi’s favorite – and this is saying something since, prior to last night, she had never met a rice pudding she’d liked. The blood orange pearls were a nice bittersweet touch.

Great. The goat’s cheese parfait was reminiscent of the airy cheesecake my father used to make.

Gorgeous. The sugar globe was incredibly delicate, cracking at the lightest tap.

The liquid nitrogen ice cream-making process...

I was waiting for the chocolate course and, boy, did it deliver. Incredibly rich. Incredibly decadent. Utterly delicious. Akemi couldn’t finish hers – so I did the honors.

Now this one was my favorite course – the chocolate no-doubt frozen in liquid nitrogen as well and served Alinea-style with an assortment of other chocolate goodies, reminiscent of the fabulous dessert I enjoyed for my Meal to End all Meals back in 2011: March 18, 2011: The Meal To End All Meals!

Our hosts for this sweet, sweet evening...

And, just in case we wanted something to snack on for the drive home, we were gifted this lovely Valentine assortment:

Our new friends, Dana and Matt, were wonderful company. Over the course of our six course dessert extravaganza, the discussion ranged over many topics. The subject of the Japanese language segued to a chat about Japanese culture which, in turn, moved on to an appreciation of anime that, eventually, transitioned to an animated discussion of SF literature (Matt is a big fan of the classics – Asimov, Clarke, etc.). From SF lit to scifi television as Dana informed us she was a huge fan of SG-1. ”Really?”I said. ”What was your favorite episode.” ”Window of Opportunity,”she said. And that guaranteed them a ride home. If she’d answered Emancipation or Broca Divide, who knows how long it would have taken them to get back home.

Apparently, this will be the first in a series of dessert-themed evenings Beta 5 will be hosting.

Look into it!

BETA 5 CHOCOLATES LTD. 413 INDUSTRIAL AVENUE, VANCOUVER, BC, V6B 2P8
                          [email protected] - 604.669.3336 - BETA-5.COM
                          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...e-winners-are/

February 17, 2013

Akemi and I tried to make the most of the last few days of the Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival by checking out some of the more intriguing offerings we had yet to sample...

Canadian Classic: 100% pure hazelnut with 38% milk chocolate served with four pieces of artisan chocolate.

At: Schokolade 2263 East Hastings Street, Vancouver

http://www.schokoladecafe.com/

Sweeter than most of the more bitter dark chocolate varieties we sampled and more straightforward than the sweeter, but layered, white chocolate entries. Simply a nice, rich roasted favor.

The Gold Medal: Salted Pecan & Maple Syrup (the gold medal winner from the 2012 Gelato Competition in Italy), served with Erin Ireland’s “To Die For” Banana Bread.

At: Bella Gelateria 1001 West Cordova Street.

www.bellagelateria.com

An enormous serving of rich, premium dark chocolate served with fantastic banana bread for half the price of some of the festival’s high-end entries. Bitter, sweet, salty, and incredibly satisfying.

The Lumberjack: Bourbon barrel-aged maple syrup hot chocolate served with a Douglas fir-infused chantilly, maple & vanilla shortbread.

At: Thomas Haas 2539 West Broadway, Vancouver.

http://www.thomashaas.com/

I wasn’t sure about the Douglas fir-infused chantilly but, like other delicious instances during this hot chocolate festival, I was pleasantly surprised. Also something else I discovered over the last few weeks: chocolate + maple syrup = killer combination.

The King’s Cup – Ode to Elvis: Hot chocolate with peanut butter and banana served with a macaron or cookie.

At: Soirette Macarons & Tea 1433 West Pender Street, Vancouver. (Coal Harbour)

www.soirette.com

Inspired by what was purportedly Elvis’s favorite treat (fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches), this delectable drink combines all three ingredients to tasty effect. The peanut crumble rim was genius.

The Scandal of Singapore: Spicy dark chocolate with rice milk.

At: Beta 5 (http://shop.beta5chocolates.com/) and The Juice Truck (usually found on the corner of Abbott and Water in Gastown).

I actually had it with almond milk instead and it was quite good, with just enough spice to catch the back of your throat but not linger too long.

My final tally: 36 out of 60 flavors sampled. Given that the festival was only 27 days long, I consider that a pretty respectable score. And, now that it’s finally over, it’s time to pick my Top 5 Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival 2013 Favorites. Drum roll, please…

Coming in at #5:

Malteaser: Barley malt-infused hot chocolate served with salt caramel malt truffles.

Available: At Thomas Haas 2539 West Broadway, Vancouver.

http://www.thomashaas.com/

Terrific! I could have had two but I’m sure the sugar rush would’ve killed me.

A pleasantly surprising top five finisher – in the #4 spot:

The Josiah: Basil drinking chocolate topped with housemade strawberry marshmallows.

Available: At Cocoa Nymph 3739 W. 10th Ave (at Alma), Vancouver
                            www.cocoanymph.co

Basil drinking chocolate? Really? Oh, yeah. Really! I was admittedly dubious but one taste thoroughly won me over. The best hot chocolate I had that week.

A pleasantly unsurprising top-five finisher – at #3:

Italian Honey Moon: Honey nougat and hazelnut made with Avalon Organic milk and Michel Cluizel chocolate served with Erin Ireland’s “To Die For” Banana Bread.

Available: At Bella Gelateria 1001 West Cordova Street.

www.bellagelateria.com

I was leery at first. Hot chocolate topped with shards of honey nougat? I love particulates (that’s what they call ‘em) in my ice cream, but in my drinking chocolate? Well, they turned out to be a wonderful little textural addition to the drink. I am now a hot chocolate particulate convert!

As a personal rule, fruit and chocolate don’t mix – and yet, inexplicably, defying all logic, it works perfectly here. Coming in at #2 (and, incidentally, Akemi’s #1):

Armoury Amour: Cocoa Barry “Madirofolo”– a single plantation chocolate, kissed with raspberry and served with a mini lemon and basil ice cream sandwich.

Available: At Chocolate Arts 1620 West 3rd Ave., Vancouver (Kitsilano).

http://www.chocolatearts.com/

Well, damn, this was a surprise! I’m not a fan of the fruit-chocolate combo and find raspberry a particularly reprehensible partner but this heavenly creation sang. Akemi’s overall favorite so far and a definite Top 3 finisher for yours truly. Loved the raspberry sugar rim.

Which brings us to my favorite hot chocolate of the festival. At #1:

Jasmine: 64% dark chocolate – origin: Ecuador. Infused with jasmine and served with choice of chocolate square.

Available: At Chocolaterie de la Nouvelle France 198 East 21st Ave., Vancouver, B.C.

Surprisingly spectacular. Just the right chocolate married with the perfect balance of jasmine yields the most exquisite hot chocolate of the festival so far.

And rounding out my Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival 2013 Top Ten: The King’s Cup – Ode to Elvis (Soirette), Pretty in Pink (Bel Cafe), Ohhh Canada (Thierry Chocolaterie Patisserie Cafe), Blond Mystique (Secret Location), One in a Million (Thierry Chocolaterie Patisserie, Cafe).
                            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...views-hancock/

February 18, 2013

Photos: Hancock

Monster not professional writer so not in position to offer advice to whoever wrote dis movie, but me can’t help but feel it obviously a bad idea to change direktion and tone of a skript one hour into its 90 minute running time. Which be de case wit Hancock.

We introduced to our anti-hero, Hancock. Drunk, dirty, belligerent, and dangerously clumsy, he reminiscent of Grover when he dated Paris Hilton back in summer of 2007. Hancock try to do good – stopping crime, saving bystanders – but just can’t seem to get it right. As a result, public consider him a super-nuisance. Like viral meme spam, alien scabies, and Donald Trump.

BUT tings change for Hancock when he save Ray, a PR guy, from getting wiped out by train. Ray decide Hancock need an image makeover and convince him to start taking responsibility for his aktions. Hancock make public apology, spend some time in prison and, eventually, redeem himself by stopping crazy bank heist and saving cops and hostages. He even get new leather outfit for aktion purposes (also reminiscent of Grover in summer of 2007).

It all make for fun viewing. At which point, for some reason, scripwriters decide dey be tired of dis story and want to make whole other movie. Cue bizarre late twist dat reveal Ray’s wife, Mary, be a superhero too!

Hancock and Mary fight. Why? Uh…becuz dey have bad tempers? Anyway, it all look very cool as dey tear up city and just happen to land outside hubby Ray’s office building so he can (conveniently) find out de truth about his wife. She and Hancock former lovers but Hancock not remember becuz he have amnesia. But dey separated becuz if dey stay together, dey lose deir superpowers. Which beg de qwestion: If dat de case, why Mary living in de same city? Why not live on other side of world just to be safe? Monster hear Japan very nice.

Becuz Hancock hanging around Mary, he no longer invulnerable and get shot. He rushed to hospital. Despite fakt dat being together make dem weaker, Mary rush to hospital to see him – at which point vengeful bad guys show up and shoot de place up, hitting her. Hancock fight bad guys while Mary slowly dying – along wit comedic vestiges of first part of movie. Hancock beat bad guys and flee hospital – which allow Mary to regain her strength, survive, and get her powers back.

Happy ending for everyone! Except monster and movie-viewing publik.

Verdikt: (First hour = 8 chocolate chippee cookies) + (Last 30 minutes = 4 chocolate chippee cookies) divided by 2 + (2 for great performances by all leads) – (1 for annoying kid charakter) =

Rating: 7 chocolate chippee cookies.
                              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...nues-identity/

February 19, 2013

Video: SGA's Identity

Photos: Dog outfit, SGA's Identity, Paul McGillion, Dawn Olivieri, Jason Momoa

So, while Akemi’s been busy making outfits for the dogs (see above), I’ve been busy working on that female protagonist-driven drama series I mentioned the other week. My research is almost complete. I’ve hammered out a solid outline, and I started writing the script yesterday. So far, so good. But before I can declare smoooooth sailing, there are some details that still need working out – the type of details that require the proper information – the proper information that, for some reason, isn’t readily available online. Seriously. I can find those annoying Harlem Shake videos without even looking for them, yet can’t find specific information pertaining to the inner workings of the Witness Protection Program and the obligations of federal witnesses in the event of a re-trial. Anybody? Anybody at all? Or, better yet, anyone happen to be related to, or friends with, a U.S. Federal Marshal? Hook me up!

Only a handful of episodes left! Days of Stargate Atlantis Past continues with...

IDENTITY (518)

Keller on the woods and on the run? This must be a Carl Binder script! A lot of fun in this one with stabbings, planned executions, and even a cameo from Carl himself (as Jennifer’s proud dad in a graduation photo briefly glimpsed).

At this point in the series, it seemed like every episode would engender some sort of controversy whether it was the McKay-Keller relationship (Brain Storm), the Atlantis expedition’s defense of their actions in the Pegasus Galaxy (Inquisition), the bittersweet passing of a colorful antagonist (The Prodigal) or, in the case of this episode, the shooting of a local executioner. You know the scene: Keller, having been sentenced to death, is trundled off and forced to lay her head down on a tree stump. The executioner raises his axe to deliver the death blow when – BLAM! – he gets shot and goes down. Sheppard and co. charge out of the brush and rescue Keller. There were some fans who were outraged by the seemingly cold-blooded killing of the axe-wielding local. ”But he was about to decapitate Keller,”I couldn’t help but point out. ”So what?”was the uniform response. ”He was just doing his job!” Er, I suppose you COULD look at it that way...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X