Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...omic-perusals/

November 29, 2011

Photos: Snow monkeys, Batwoman, Astonishing X-Men, Red Lanterns

I assumed my Snow Monkeys were dead in the water following their fourth straight loss but, as it turns out, they have one more shot at making the playoffs in the last week of our R.I.P. Stargate fantasy football league regular season. Three teams are deadlocked at 6-6, fighting for those last two playoff spots and two of those other teams play each other. All the Snow Monkeys have to do is win and they move on to post-season play. A loss and they’re eliminated on the tie-breaker. On the surface, it looks like an easy enough task since we’ll be up against the 1-11 Reagan’s Raiders but, unfortunately for us, his wide receivers and running backs are looking at some terrific match-ups against the NFL’s bottom-ranked pass and run defenses. If we win, it’s going to be a hard fought victory.

Show your support for the team by purchasing official R.I.P. Stargate League Snow Monkeywear and proudly displaying the Snow Monkey logo!

GO SNOW MONKEYS!!!

I officially started my Christmas shopping today and, when all was said and done, wound up purchasing more stuff for myself than anyone else. I picked up some books, dvd’s, desserts, and one of those little gadgets that froths up milk. I was tempted to get a waffle-maker as well until Akemi pointed out I’d have to source pearl sugar to make a proper liege waffle (according to waffle expert Rob Cooper, it doesn’t melt like regular sugar, caramelizing the outside of the waffle but also remaining a half-melted whole inside), but apparently the stuff is harder to track down than D.B. Cooper. I head back downtown tomorrow for round #2 as I have yet to cross mom and sis off the list. As for Akemi – well, it looks like she may need to go visit her family soon so I think I’ll use my points to get us a couple of flights to Tokyo. Better late than never.

On the comic book front, I checked out another three titles last night...

BATWOMAN #1-3

I had heard a lot of very good things about this series going in and it lived up to the hype. Really interesting, varied artwork – shifting in style and palette – compliments an unsettling little mystery involving the disappearance of some local children. I know nothing about this new Batwoman (outside of the fact that she is very, very pale), but she’s an interesting character and the civilian elements in this book are as fascinating as the superhero throughline. I’m not a huge fan of stories with a supernatural angle, particularly in the Bat universe, and even though it looks like this one is headed that way, I’m reserving judgment until all is revealed.

Verdict: Great. Definitely on my pick-up list.

ASTONISHING X-MEN #41-44

Wow. What a difference 30 years make. When I first started collecting comics, I couldn’t get enough of the X-Men. Today, I’m having trouble finding an X-title that really appeals to me. Chalk it up to personal taste and my unfamiliarity with the copious backstory. Granted, part of the problem is that, unlike DC’s New 52 that make it easier for new readers to get in on the ground floor, much of the Marvel titles I’ve been checking out are ongoing. The first issue of Astonishing X-Men I read for instance, issue #41, is the conclusion to a pre-existing story. I was able to follow well enough but the thing that struck me as strange was how different the characters of Wolverine and Emma Frost were in comparison to their depiction in other, equally recent X-titles. Very quippy and surprisingly light. The next issue I read, #42, was for some strange reason the conclusion to another storyline. The ensuing issue offers a standalone story involving a character I do remember from Whedon’s run, after which we commence a brand new story in issue #44 – and I was back to being confused.

Verdict: My quest for an X-title continues.

RED LANTERNS #1-3

Given the book’s premise and coming off Green Lantern New Guardians, I really wasn’t expecting to be all that impressed with Red Lanterns, yet impress me it did. Writer Peter Milligan crafts a smart and involving narrative that packs a surprising emotional punch in its depiction of the human costs of war and the consequences of allowing our passions to get the better of us.

Verdict: Thumbs up. I’m very much looking forward to the next issue.

For those keeping track, that’s 20 titles read (at least 3 issues of each) – 11 of which I’ll be continuing to read for the time being and 9 of which I’ve dropped.
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...nary-triumphs/

November 30, 2011

Photos: Dark Matter, recent culinary triumphs

Check out the latest interview I did for my upcoming comic book series, Dark Matter, this one with my buddy Shaun Manning over at Comic Book Resources: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=35481. It offers a little more insight into the series and characters as well as a two-page sneak peek of what’s to come.

Yes, it’s true. I’ve adopted a healthier life. Note I use the word “healthier” rather than “healthy” because I have no intention of giving up my dessert habit. Chocolate, ice cream, and cake are as important a part of my life as…hell, I honestly can’t think of anything more important. Which is why the other 25% of the time when I’m not indulging, I’m either working out or eating right. I schedule two work-outs a day, cardio in the morning and weights at night, so that even if happen to miss one, I’m still covered for the deay. I’m also eating a lot fish lately – this, in no small part due to the fact that my girlfriend is Japanese and she is all about the fish: salmon, snapper, tuna usually baked, roasted or served as sushi. Personally, I’m partial to rainbow trout either butterfield and pan-fried with a little thyme, butter, and garlic or roasted with tarragon, lemon, shallots, and a splash of sake. I do a great slow-baked salmon that never fails to come out fork tender, a seabass (lately sablefish) that’s seared then finished in the oven with a hoisin and green onion glaze, a roasted mackerel with tomatoes, sweet onions, and meyer lemon, and salmon collars slathered in sesame oil, sea salt and garlic before being grilled to a crispy on the outside, succulent on the inside finish. And, of course, no meal would be complete without those delectable sides. I recently discovered the joys of cooking the Jerusalem Artichoke (aka sunchoke). I scrub them down, half them, then toss them, unpeeled, with a little olive oil, sea salt, minced garlic, rosemary, thyme, and serrano pepper powder before popping them in the oven for half an hour. Fantastic.

Recent culinary triumphs:

So, how are you all doing? Exercising? Eating right? Let’s hear about your recent culinary triumphs.

Ironically enough, my latest culinary triumph came on a night I should have been out enjoying Refuel’s annual and awesome Whole Hog Dinner. I’ve been so overwhelmed lately that I completely forgot my booking. And this is the second time it’s happened. A month ago, I missed a special foie gras dinner. Missing foie gras AND pork cheeks? I must be losing my mind.
      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...c-book-report/

December 1, 2011

Photos: The Flash, Avengers Origins: Vision, Action Comics, X-Men

Help me out here. Every once in a while, the fine people at SFSignal (SF Signal – A Speculative Fiction Blog) ask me to participate in their MindMeld feature, an ongoing series in which a ragtag group (writers, rum-runners, bureaucrats in alien ministries, etc.) is asked a genre-related question. Past topics have included: MIND MELD: What Cultures Are Neglected in Science Fiction and Fantasy?, MIND MELD: The Best Women Writers in SF/F and, just in time for the holidays - MIND MELD: Great Gift Ideas For Geeks and Science Fiction and Fantasy Fans. [Check out the archive here: Mind Meld). Anyway, for their next MindMeld, they’re asking: “What were the best genre-related books, movies and/or shows you consumed in 2011? Not necessarily new in 2011, but new to ‘you’ in 2011.”

Hmmm. That’s a tough one. Unfortunately, I didn’t get the opportunity to check out as much genre-related fiction as I would have liked this year. In retrospect, it was time that would have been better spent checking out a few of my favorite authors or screening some SF, Fantasy, or Horror films. Ah, well. Live and learn. Anyway, I’m trying to put together a list and, frankly, having a difficult time. Looking back over my book list, I have one genre-related work I really, REALLY enjoyed. Plenty of comic books (thanks to this late reading spurt), a single t.v. series, but no movies. Did I miss something? Of course, I would know better than you but seeing as how I’m having a tough time remembering, maybe you could all help jog my memory. Help me prep! What were the best genre-related books, movies and/or shows I consumed in 2011?

I’m, of course, helping my cause by testing the comic book waters – and by “waters”, I mean a veritable “sea of comic books” – practically every ongoing series out there. Here the deal: I pick up at least 3 issues of each title, read ‘em, and if I like ‘em, I’ll continue following the series. If I don’t like ‘em, I move on. So far, I’ve checked out 20 books and am sitting on a record of 11 likes and 9 not-for-me’s. A little over 500. That isn’t that surprising. What IS surprising is the titles have impressed and those which have failed to grab my interest. This long-time reader of the Avengers and X-Men has yet to find an Avengers or X-book to follow. On the other hand, titles I simply checked out for form’s sake, assuming they wouldn’t capture my interest, have impressed (Green Lantern Corps and Red Lanterns anyone?) But, as they say: “That’s why you play the game”.

Continuing the game play...

THE FLASH #1-3

Hmmm. So here’s the thing: I was a huge fan of Mark Waid’s run on the Flash, so any subsequent take on the character is probably going to pale in comparison. Like this version. With all due respect to Barry Allen, I miss Wally and Linda and, while I found the book’s premise interesting, it didn’t really grab me. There were too many confusing moments in the narrative, either moments I assumed were flashbacks that actually weren’t, or strange reactions on the part of the characters. After thwarting a terrorist attack and discovering that one of the terrorists killed in said attack was an old friend, Barry is paid a surprise visit by the formerly deceased friend. Suddenly, they are on the run, being chased by a group of men. Rather than ask what the hell is going on, Barry says: “At least tell me it’s not over a woman.” and, later: “Seriously. How many angry husbands are chasing us?!”. He’s either incredibly naive or trying to lighten the mood. If it’s the latter, however, I don’t know why he’d waste time joking around when the obvious thing to do would be to ask his newly-undeceased buddy what the hell is going on? In issue #2, there’s a moment when he reveals he is able to see everything before it happens, weigh every possible outcome, and make the right choice. In the supporting visuals, it’s pretty clear that he is able to glimpse the future. If so, this is HUGE and makes one wonder how he could possibly ever make a wrong decision. A tricky development that risks undermining the tension of the series if he’s as powerful as we’re led to believe.

Verdict: Despite the nifty shock ending to issue #3, it’s not a series I’ll be continuing.

AVENGERS ORIGINS: VISION, LUKE CAGE, ANT-MAN & THE WASP, SCARLET WITCH & QUICKSILVER

I think these stories would appeal more to new readers who could use a primer on the origins of these various Avengers. For my part, I already know their backstories (with the possible exception of Luke Cage which, I suppose, is why I found his dedicated issue the most interesting of the bunch) so I found it hard to emotionally invest in the narrative. Having said that, I think that some of these one-shots (Vision) work better than others (Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver) in delivering a engaging and nuanced narratives.

Verdict: Covers familiar ground for me. As such, not a series I’ll continue reading.

ACTION COMICS #1-3

My thoughts about the Flash’s newfound abilities (see above) remind me of the problems I (and many others) have with the Superman. He’s just too gosh darn powerful. Outside of some handy kryptonite, how are you going to stop the guy? Well, as it turns out, this latest version of the Man of Steel is a little more vulnerable, a little more human, and a lot more interesting. Still, I had mixed feelings about Action Comics. I liked this new scaled-down Superman, the younger/goofier Clark, his budding friendship with Jimmy Olsen, the annoyingly petulant Lex Luthor, and the art by Rags Morales (whose work I enjoyed immensely on Hourman). I didn’t like the elements involving Lois’s father, General Lane. Yes, I know it’s not new, that this version of the character was introduced back in the late 80?s, but it feels like ground already trodden by Marvel with The Incredible Hulk. Also, not a fan of Big Blue’s short-sleeved look.

Verdict: There’s enough here to keep me onboard for the time being.

X-MEN #17-21

I join the X-Men’s adventure already in progress as they are trapped on a hostile world in another dimension. Again, some of the characters feel slightly different here than they do in other X-titles. Emma Frost, for instance, feels more haughty and erudite than other versions, a true ice queen while Magneto comes across as – well – dreamy. I preferred the ensuing story involving an oppressed nation’s attempts to secure an army of sentinels for their national defense but still experienced a few bumps with certain developments, chiefly the ones involving Domino. Why would the bad guys assume she’s dead? Not only do they not bother checking her vitals (which surely would have revealed she was very much alive), but they fast-track her to the autopsy room from where she makes her escape. Felt like a bit of a cheat.

Verdict: Still looking for an X-book to follow.

Overall record: 12-12
        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-news-of-note/

December 2, 2011

Photos: Breaking Bad

Hey! It’s snowing!!! Not outside but right here on this blog! I am officially in the Christmas spirit. Post your questions and I’ll answer them in tomorrow’s holiday mailbag.

From the “How did I miss this?” file comes my favorite new show I just happened to discover on DVD last week:

Actually, friends have been recommending this series for a while now but I only got around to checking it out recently because, well, I finally made the time for it. And, boy, am I glad I did. It’s brilliant and easily ranks up there with the likes of The Sopranos and The Shield. Who else is watching? And if you aren’t, why not?

Hey, you know what’s even more frustrating than learning a foreign language? Educating someone on the fickle nature of English grammar. I’m the last guy you should be asking about the intricacies of non-continuous verbs and dangling modifiers. Apparently, while ”Because that’s the way it is.” may have worked for Walter Cronkite, it aint working for this guy, proving a rather unpopular response to the various questions Akemi has thrown my way. Equally unpopular answers have have included: “It just sounds right/doesn’t sound right.”, ”It’s hard to explain…” and mumbling something incomprehensible before trailing off and feigning distraction by some mystery phone text. I liked it better when my contribution to Akemi’s ongoing English-learning program consisted of reading and explaining old Far Side strips.

Some news of note:

7 Most Inappropriate Restaurant Names. I’ll see your Mother Clucker’s and raise you a Chocolate Log: Food Network Humor » The Worst Restaurant Names In The World …

Hey, conspiracy theorists. Check these out: 19 Famous Photographs Before The CIA Edited Them

Wait. What? You mean I shouldn’t have already blown all my savings on that fallout shelter and canned food? Mayans never predicted world to end in 2012?

Since we’ve been talking comics of late, TopTenz.net offers up: Top Ten Worst Moments in Marvel Comics. And, for you DC fans - Top 10 Worst Moments in DC Comics | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.net. Agree? Disagree?

One of the many reasons celebrities shouldn’t be allowed to have children: The strange names celebs give their kids — like Sunny Bebop
          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-shot-mailbag/

December 3, 2011

Photos: Snow monkeys

Well, this is it. My fantasy football season comes down to one game – tomorrow – Snow Monkeys vs. Reagan’s Raiders. A win allows me to snag the sixth and final playoff spot in our R.I.P. Stargate League. A loss and I my efforts were all for naught and everyone I’ve invited over tomorrow to watch the games will be asked to leave before I serve the schnitzel sandwiches (pork and/or veal) and ice cream sandwiches (vanilla/chocolate/eggnog ice cream on chocolate chip cookies) Akemi and I are planning to serve. I’m rolling with Romo tomorrow and my three top WR’s (Dez Bryant, Roddy White, and Hakeem Nicks in the flex). I’ve got the recently acquired Rashad Mendenhall in the RB1 position and the Packers’ Crosby handling kicking duties. The Pats are my defense against the much-bullied Colts. My only question mark is the RB2 position. Who am I going with – Helu, Spiller, or Hillis who are all facing tough match-ups, or do I roll the dice on the injured Kevin Smith or take an even bigger gamble on Miami’s Thomas? [Praying snow monkey pic available as an oil on canvas here: http://www.robertbissell.com/robert-...ls/index.html].

Off to a super-special dinner with my friend Denise tonight. Will tell you all about it tomorrow. In the meantime, let’s hit the mailbag:

Debra writes: “I want Akemi’s soup recipe. Does that count as a question?”

Answer: Sure. Roast a kabocha squash in the oven with a little butter, water and maple syrup until tender. While it’s cooking, sweat some shallots and garlic in a pan until translucent. Put the squash (sans skin of course) and shallots and garlic in a pot with some 2% milk and bring to a boil over low heat, then transfer to a blender and puree. If you feel it’s too thick (which I never do), simply add a little more milk. Top with a little curry oil to give it an extra rich flavor. As Akemi says, she doesn’t really have a recipe, “It’s more about”, so she doesn’t really have any measurements to relay. She promises to pay closer attention next time.

cherluvya writes: “I have pretty much given up on films and really am enjoying series TV.”

Answer: I’m with ya. I stopped going to movies after I got my home theater, then pretty much stopped buying dvd’s when Blu-ray came out (And, yes, I blame Blu-ray for the collapse of the dvd market).

Michelle writes: “

I’ve been watching Breaking Bad for a few weeks now (on Netflix streaming), after all the buzz I’d seen on line for the most recent season. I’m toward the end of Season 2. Honestly, it’s one of the most finely crafted shows I’ve ever watched, and I’m completely hooked. Everything about it is so carefully constructed, so internally consistent, and so very brave. When they go dark, they go humanity dark, not Hollywood dark. Every consequence plays out in tragic glory for as long as it takes.”

Answer: Your thoughts echo those of whoever it was that recommended the show to me just recently (either Lawren or Patrick Gilmore). Every set-up has a pay-off, every action a consequence – a rarity in series televison.

Michelle also writes: “On such an epically tragic path, too. I didn’t watch The Shield because the main character was such an a-hole from day 1…”

Answer: That’s what hooked me, that final moment in The Shield’s first episode, a huge twist that serves as the launchpoint – and inevitable descent – of our protagonist despite his attempts at redemption. Your point is well-taken. It’s one of the reasons my writing partner, Paul, had such a hard time getting into the show. When he eventually did, I asked him about his change of heart and his response was that he felt the character of Vic Mackie we got to know in the series was a completely different guy from the one we were introduced to in that first episode.

Ponytail writes: “Why is it when you ask for questions I can’t think of any?”

Answer: Dunno.

daubermaus writes: “What is your favorite food blog?”

Answer: I don’t really do food blogs. Do I, however, occasionally check out the chowhound boards, especially if I’m looking for good restaurant recommendations while traveling.

for the love of Beckett writes: “1. Is the Stargate Christmas Reunion for a project? Will you be officially filming anything? Will principal actors of SGU, Atlantis, or SG-1 be there?”

Answer: No, it’s just a casual get-together of former Stargate personnel. I have no idea who’ll be attending.

“2. Is this the same project in the works that Stargate actors have referred to? We’d rather hear it from you than Twitter!”

Answer: Haven’t heard anything about a Stargate-related project in the works. Sorry.

“3. Still have birthday Christmas prezzies for you and Akemi. May we use the address for your agent in Vancouver?”

Answer: I don’t have an agent in Vancouver. The thought is much appreciated but your regular participation here is all I could ask for this Christmas. And a series greenlight for Dark Matter. Both would be nice.

iom666 writes: “I still hope to have the opportunity to shake your hand in person if you come around Montreal for Xmas. It would be like meeting Roddenberry or Asimov”

Answer: I think it would be more like meeting the guy who shops at your local comic book store who also read Asimov and watched Roddenberry.

Thornyrose writes: “ As for questions, well, how about your ultimate favorite Christmas and/or New Year’s dinner menu snacks, and beverages, perhaps with recipes?”

Answer: Presently working on an eggnog ice cream for the eggnog ice cream chocolate chip sandwiches Akemi and I are making for tomorrow’s football afternoon.

antisocialbutterflie writes: “I can deal with angst but it has to be counterpointed with a fair dose of humor (though it can be the dark variety).”

Answer: Breaking Bad has plenty of dark humor to counterpoint the show’s bleaker elements. The scene in which the DEA uncle takes his bewildered nephew to witness the consequences of drug abuse is one of the finest sequences I’ve seen on television this year.

gforce writes: “Santa Joe, my sincere wish for my Christmas present is a third season of SGU to finish off the story. Can you make that happen?”

Answer: Alas, I can’t. The ball is in MGM’s court.

SiSi writes: “I see that you are currently reading a Patricia Highsmith book, and I don’t remember seeing mysteries on your reading list before. Do you like mysteries as a genre? What mystery authors or books do you like?”

Answer: Although most of my reading is of the genre variety (SF, horror, and fantasy), I do like the occasional change of pace. I recently read The Secret History (a gift from Rob Cooper’s wife) and, yes, Patricia Highsmith’s Deep Water. In fact, I enjoyed the latter so much that I picked up Strangers on a Train. As a kid, I grew up on mystery books: Agatha Christie and Ellery Queen. No kidding.
            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...vored-victory/

December 4, 2011

Photos: R.I.P. Stargate fantasy football league, cookies, chocolate ice cream, snow monkeys, Karen Binder, Alexander M. Ruemelin, Sarah, dinner, dessert

Snow Monkeys win! Snow Monkeys win! And in impressive fashion no less, snagging the sixth and final playoff spot in the R.I.P. Stargate fantasy football league. Ivon, Rob, and Mike Dopud were on hand to celebrate the victory with schnitzel sandwiches (pork and veal), three types of ice cream (chocolate, vanilla, and festive eggnog), and Akemi’s chocolate chip cookies!

Good times! Looks like for our first post-season match-up, we’ll be playing the one red hot I Have No Imagination minus Matt Forte (who looks to be out 2-4 week with a knee injury). I’m feeling confident.

Let’s go! All aboard the Snow Monkey bandwagon!

Whoa! I thought I went all out for Alexander and Sarah’s visit a couple of weeks ago, but Carl and Karen evidently put me to shame last week. And here are the pics to prove it:

How could I possibly compete with that?

Dinner of another sort last night, but I’ll have to save my write-up (and thoughts on Grifter, Iron Man 2.0, Wonder Woman, Shield, Detective Comics, Fear Itself, Aquaman, and Uncanny X-Force) for tomorrow’s entry. Right now, I’ve got to get to work on responding to that question for SFSignal’s upcoming MindMeld feature.
              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...rufflepalooza/

December 5, 2011

Photos: Truffles, Chef Ted, dinner, Joe Mallozzi

White truffles, a.k.a. white diamonds, are one of the most highly prized and expensive of foods. Rare, only available a few months of the year, and limited to parts of Italy and Croatia, the Alba Madonna are notoriously difficult to locate. Experienced truffle hunters use dogs to sniff out these rare gems hidden underground, near the roots of certain trees. Pigs are also used because the scent of the mushroom apparently resembles that of the porcine sex hormone. It seems like a lot of trouble to go through but, at up to $2000 a pound, sourcing them can prove quite lucrative. And delicious. They’re admittedly an acquired taste. Some adore their heady, earthy aroma. Others don’t (like my girlfriend, Akemi, who likens it to “old man’s pillow”). I’m a big fan, but the white truffle is something I enjoy on only the rarest of occasions, usually shaved over a nice risotto. I had the opportunity to do a white truffle-themed dinner several years ago at Chateau Joel Robuchon in Tokyo but, at about $650/person, it was a little rich for my blood given that I was on the tail-end of my annual two-week Japanese culinary excursion.

A couple of weeks ago, I received a text from my fellow foodie and occasional dining companion, Denise, wondering whether any local restaurants were offering up truffle-themed menu items. An online search turned up nothing but, refusing to be discouraged, I picked up the phone and contacted the one person I knew could get us that white truffle fix: Tom Doughtery, owner of Refuel, Campagnolo, and Campagnolo Roma. Sure enough, he got back to me right away. He needed to know the number of diners in my party, the number of courses on my dream truffle menu and, of course, my budget. According to Chef Ted, who would be doing the honors designing the special menu, it would change my life.

And so, Saturday night, Denise and I went to Roma for our life-altering truffle dinner:

Despite the presence of truffles, the meaty oyster, redolent of the sea, was the spotlight flavor.

Another surprisingly delicate dish. The heat of the brodo cooked the goose to a nice rare.

Simple but nothing quite brings out the flavors of the truffle like the subtleness of a creamy risotto.

Ted shaved two different white truffles onto the risotto. Denise and I both preferred the lighter version for its more pronounced flavor.

A luxuriously rich dish with some lovely textural contrasts. The crunchy fingerling chips were a nice touch.

Damn. Was this not the best preparation of veal you’ve ever had? Oh. You weren’t there. Well, yes. It was!

A surprisingly nice combination, but a little Parmigiano-Reggiano goes a long way. I was done after my third piece.

A very subtle use of truffles – and thankfully so as I’m not at all sure I would have enjoyed it as much had the flavor been any stronger. A terrific dessert. That maple syrup sorbet on its own should have a place on the menu.

What a meal! A huge thanks to Chef Ted, Chef Rob, and Tom for making it happen.

Today’s entry is dedicated to Tom Dougherty.
                sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...omic-round-up/

December 6, 2011

Photos: Grifter, Iron Man 2.0, Wonder Woman, S.H.I.E.L.D., Batman - Detective Comics, Fear Itself - The Fearless, Aquaman, Uncanny X-Force, Mister Terrific, New Avengers, Animal Man, Daredevil, Stormwatch

Catching up on my bid to check out the many, many comic book titles out there...

GRIFTER #1-3

This series hits the ground running and maintains its quick pace through the opening three issues, following con man Cole Cash as he attempts to evade pursuing aliens and, oh yeah, the military. It’s never explained why the aliens have designs on him and, while I’m sure we’ll eventually get there, I was hoping for at least some insight amidst all the action. Another thing that isn’t really explained is why Cole dons a mask to hide his face given that the aliens seem to track him by scent. I like the dynamic between Cole and his handler, less so the coincidence that one of the soldiers leading the hunt for him just happens to be his brother. The revenge motif established in the closing pages of the third issue feels like its gilding the lily.

Verdict: A fun read but, ultimately, too many questions left unanswered. Alas, won’t be continuing with this one.

IRON MAN 2.0 #7.1-10

THIS is the one I’ve been looking for – a series that has it all: action, humor, engaging characters, and smart writing. I was initially disappointed when I found out it was a War Machine book (and not an Iron Man title as I’d originally assumed), but those early misgivings were immediately dispelled by a terrific story with plenty of twists, turns and SF elements.

Verdict: One of my favorite titles to date. I’m along for the ride!

WONDER WOMAN #1-3

Writer Brian Azzarello is an interesting match for this title given his work on books like 100 Bullets and Batman. I like his darker take, his exploration of the uneasy relationship between Diana and her fellow Amazons and the revelation concerning Wonder Woman’s origins. Still, at the end of the day, Wonder Woman has always been a character I’ve had a hard time mustering much interest in for the same reason Thor has never appealed: the trials and tribulations of gods seem so lofty, their capabilities and backstories so disconnected from the life of us mere mortals that their stories fail to engage me on that basic human level.

Verdict: An interesting take on the character but even that isn’t enough to win me over. My anti-deity bias keeps me from jumping aboard.

S.H.I.E.L.D. #1-3

Hmmmm. A clever alternate history tale pits the immortal Sir Isaac Newton, ruler of The High Council of Shield, against his rival, Leonardo Da Vinci. Philosophies and followers clash as the likes of Michelangelo Buonarotti, Nostradamus, and Nikola Tesla figure into a narrative involving non-linear time, parallel universes, and something called Quiet Math. Heady and ambitious but, ultimately, I’m not quit sure what the hell is going on.

Verdict: Sharp and unique storytelling but a little too esoteric for me.

BATMAN – DETECTIVE COMICS #1-3

Writer/artist Tony S. Daniel offers up a Batman book reminiscent of the tales I grew up with – creepy, at times deeply unsettling, yet altogether fascinating. The Joker is at his scary-best here (we’re a long, loooong way from Jack Nicholson’s silly-ass dancing clown prince of crime), challenging our hero in his bid to unravel a grisly mystery.

Not for the faint of heart!

Verdict: Subarashii! as the Japanese would say. Love it! Really looking forward to checking out more.

FEAR ITSELF – THE FEARLESS #1-3

The follow-up to a big crossover event involving Asgard deities (see above) and eight mythical war hammers. This series sees Earth’s heroes picking up the pieces, gathering up these powerful weapons left behind in a quest reminiscent of a video game. It all feels a little after-the-fact.

Verdict: I’m sure it’ll all get worked out. Again, not for me.

AQUAMAN #1-3

Aquaman has always been the laughing stock of comicdom, the butt of many a joke with his orange scale armor and oceanic powers. Past attempts to darken the character met with middling success. Here, writer Geoff Johns embraces the original version of Arthur Curry in a story that tackles Aquaman’s perceived superheroic inadequacies while spotlighting his undervalued strengths. The narrative is fairly straightforward but a lot of fun, a perfect reintroduction of a character who gets so little respect.

Verdict: Like I said – a lot of fun. I’m on board.

UNCANNY X-FORCE #12-17

And here is the X-title I’ve been looking for! Writer Rick Remender weaves a tale calculated and complex without being confusing – a tall order given the number of characters and backstory elements at work here. He offers up plenty of action and character development, building one of the most intriguing and effective of narratives in a series of well-orchestrated set-ups and pay-offs.

Verdict: Unarguably one of the coolest books out there. Keep ‘em coming.

MISTER TERRIFIC #1-3

In crafting Mister Terrific’s origin, it feels like the creators’ reached into the bag of pre-established identities for not one, not two, but three chestnuts. Not only is Michael Holt a super athlete, but he’s a brilliant scientist AND a billionaire. It all feels a little young-skewing, from our hero’s motto (“Fair Play”) to the on-the-nose disillusionment that caps the third issue.

Verdict: Not my cup of tea.

NEW AVENGERS #16-18

Norman Osborn puts together a team of alternate Avengers, enlisting villains to fill the roster. Yep, just like he did in Dark Avengers. Bendis is a terrific writer and I love his stuff, but this storyline feels a little been-there, done-that. I think part of the problem I have with these versions of the Avengers is the fact that they crossover with other teams (ie. Wolverine and the Thing). I mean, seriously, who has time to be a member of two, much less one super team? It stretches credulity which comes at a premium when dealing with the world of superheroes.

Verdict: I may revisit at a later date but for now it stays on the shelf.

ANIMAL MAN #1-3

Environmentalist and animal activist Buddy Baker (aka Animal Man) returns following a self-imposed exile from superhero life. We’re given an interesting character in Buddy, a guy struggling to balance family life with the demands of his “job”, but the opening three issues felt very dream sequence heavy. The dreams themselves, while teeming with all sorts of cool visuals, didn’t really offer significant insight into our hero.

Verdict: Close but doesn’t make the cut.

DAREDEVIL #1-5

I loved Mark Waid’s run on The Flash, am very much enjoying Irredeemable and, as such, was really looking forward to his take on Daredevil. As always, I got a kick out of Matt’s relationship with Foggy and Waid does a terrific job offering backstory to Daredevil’s abilities and present-day status (the fact that he’s been outed and everyone seems to know his secret identity) without bogging down the narrative. As much as I liked these elements, I wasn’t enamored of the main story – a courtroom case that ultimately ends up involving the villainous Klaw (or, more to the point, echoes of the original Klaw). Fortunately, the next story that kicks off in issue #3 is much more promising, focusing on the criminal (underworld) elements I’ve come to know and enjoy in past incarnations of Daredevil’s world.

Verdict: I was on the fence after the first three issues but firmly on board after issue #5

STORMWATCH #1-3

The Authority was always a title I respected, liked enough, but never really got into. It was ultra-cool but there was always that emotional detachment to the stories and the characters. It obviously all comes down to personal taste because the title has plenty of ardent fans, most of whom will no doubt be thrilled to have the wonderful Paul Cornell onboard as the series writer.

Verdict: Love Cornell’s work but may have to wait for another title.
                  sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-dish-of-2012/

December 7, 2011

Photos: Batgirl: Batgirl Rising, Lego Santa, The Worst Dish of 2011

Following a tumultuous 2011 in which I barely had time for the good things in life, I’m finally settled and looking forward to a productive but infinitely more enjoyable 2012. To that end, I’m restarting our modest little Book of the Month Club. January’s selection...

BATGIRL: BATGIRL RISING written by Bryan Q. Miller, art by Lee Garbett and Trevor Scott

Stephanie Brown, the vigilante formerly known as The Spoiler and Robin has taken on the identity of Batgirl as she begins her nocturnal crusade to take back the night from the underworld. Now she has become the target of both Gotham City’s heroes (who don’t take kindly to a new person wearing the cape and the cowl) and its villains (who want to see the entire Bat-family six feet under).

A great jumping-on point for those unfamiliar with the character. This volume collects Batgirl #1-7.

In addition to his work on DC’s Batgirl and Teen Titans, Bryan Q. Miller was also a writer for WB’s Smallville. And he’s kindly agreed to swing by the blog and answer your questions – so circle the date on your calendars!

Discussion on Batgirl Rising begins January 16, 2012.

Hey, check it out! Mom’s getting into the Christmas spirit!

Yeah, I’m not exactly sure what’s going on either, but it’s pretty clear she’s young at heart.

But not architecturally-inclined.

Whoa! Cutting it kind of close – it being December and all – but I’m finally able to award the prize for The Worst Dish of 2011! The distinction goes to THIS mass of pallid mush:

Seriously. It’s the type of culinary concept and plating that would get someone kicked off Top Chef in the first round. As for the flavors: bland with an underlying tartness. Two bites in and I was done. The Chef came out to inquire about our meal, apologized, and offered us a complimentary entree on our next visit. Very nice of him and I return the favor by not mentioning the name of the restaurant – but suffice it to say I don’t think I’ll be taking him up on the offer.
                    sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...dogs-in-a-tub/

December 8, 2011

Video: Two dogs in a tub

Photos: Snow monkeys, Lulu, Jelly, Maximus, Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children by Ransom Riggs

The fantasy football postseason kick off tonight. As you know, my Snow Monkeys snagged the last playoff spot by destroying their week 13 opponent. Now, they face a much more formidable foe. The last time these two teams met was back in week 8 when my Snow Monkeys defeated the then undefeated I Have No Imagination by the closest of margins. Since then, both teams have fallen on hard times, but I have confidence in my Snow Monkeys – this despite Rashad Mendenhall’s inability to score a rushing TD in tonight’s game. I have a feeling it’ll be a close match, one that will only be decided on Monday night when my swarming Seahawk’s D puts us over the top!

Finish your Christmas shopping yet? Started your Christmas shopping yet? Unfortunately, I’m going to have to head out and brave the crowds a few more times before I’m Montreal-bound. My sister keeps pestering me for my Christmas list and I keep telling her “Something food-related”. Macarons, pistachio cream, odd terrines and pates – that’s the way to go because I’m a tough person to shop for. Check that. Near impossible to shop for. I mean, I’m actually relieved I don’t have to shop for myself because I wouldn’t know what to get me.

What about you guys? How’s your wishlist coming along?

My latest purchase:

I like the look of this one. Kids are, at their core, insidious and creepy. Just like clowns and certain mascots. Anyone read it yet? If so, give me your review in twelve words or less. No spoilers, please.

Damn. I’ve never seen a dog take to the bathtub the way Bubba does. He’d probably spend the entire day in there if I’d let him...
                      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...mics-round-up/

December 9, 2011

Photos: Ultimate Hawkeye, Superman, Punisher Max, Demon Knights, Captain America

I’ve got a suggestion for sis who is wondering what to get me for Christmas: oven mitts. I need a new pair. The realization dawned on me this evening sometime between when I was pulling the cast iron pan out of the oven and when I was leaving the top layer of my fingers on its handle.

Hey, you know what’s apparently even more dangerous than a well-worn oven mitt? A single stray hair from my french bulldog, Lulu. If you approach it at just the right angle – say, in your stocking feet when its sitting nestled in the fibers of a carpet – it possesses all the characteristics of a microscopic glass shard, the type of glass shard that slides easily into the bottom of your foot and then resists any attempts to remove it. Like an Occupy protestor, it settles in for the long haul, irritating the hell out of the pink, healthy flesh around it.

I’ve found the perfect tool for teaching English. The Far Side Collection! I kid you not. Akemi and I read ten pages every night before bedtime. It’s proven both educational and entertaining. Or should I say edutaining! No, let’s say educational and entertaining.

The comic book round-up:

ULTIMATE HAWKEYE #1-4

Well, who’d have thunk? The Ultimate titles are now a strong 3-0 on my list, this after reading Jonathan Hickman’s version of the brash Clint Barton. I’m admittedly leery about books, films, and t.v. shows that are described as “dark and edgy” because, more often than not, they just seem to be trying too hard. Not the case here with Ultimate Hawkeye, a book whose alt. world storyline offers up the stakes and suspense lacking in much of the traditional titles. Why? Well, first and foremost, the Ultimate line allows the writers to take chances, something Hickman takes advantage of to glorious effect.

Verdict: Joining my pull list alongside Ultimates 2 and Ultimate Spiderman. Ultimate X-Men, here I come.

SUPERMAN #1-3

It’s great to see artists assuming a wider role in the narrative process. Here, the legendary George Perez takes both the artist and writer’s reins on Superman, rebooting Big Blue in line with Grant Morrison on Action Comics. What particularly struck me about Perez’s work on this title was the word per page count, a denseness that far outdoes any other book out there. The panels are packed with dialogue and it’s the words that drive the story - curious given that Perez is known, first and foremost, for his artwork. Not a criticism, simply a point of interest. What IS problematic for me, however, is the reboot itself which ultimately feels unnecessary. The new Bat titles have successfully relaunched without having to go back to square one and I’m not sure why Supes couldn’t have followed suit.

Verdict: Alas, not a character I’ve much cared for in the past and the prospect of starting over with the Man of Steel doesn’t hold much appeal.

PUNISHER MAX #17-19

The problem I have with the Punisher is that, unlike the other heroes in the Marvel and DC universe, his world is rather narrow. It’s Frank Castle vs. the Mob and, while there’s no better protagonist to take on the unsavory sorts who make up the big city’s underworld, after a while these stories begin to feel a little repetitious. As a result, the challenge comes in the telling and, with Punisher Max, writer Jason Aaron avails himself nicely, demonstrating the type of gritty storytelling that made Scalped one of my favorite reads. It’s the small parts – the characters, their interactions, the dialogue – that make up the greater whole – and, at the end of the day, it all comes together nicely.

Verdict: Jason Aaron is infinitely readable.

DEMON KNIGHTS #1-3

This title is unique and I love it for that. Amid all the contemporary superhero titles out there, Demon Knights stands out with its Dark Age setting and (literally) divided hero. Writer Paul Cornell is at his best here, spinning a tale teeming with battle, magic, the supernatural, and a nice dose of humor. From the first issue’s creepy talking baby to Vandal Savage’s turn as a surprisingly sympathetic warrior, it’s all great fun!

Verdict: He had me at the creepy talking baby.

CAPTAIN AMERICA #1-4

Ed Brubaker manages to do the impossible: make the perennially uninterested Captain America interesting. It helps to surround Cap with terrific supporting players (in Nick Fury and Sharon Carter) and then drop him into a mind-bender of a Inceptionesque tale involving alternate realities, malleable dreamscapes, and rivals long thought dead. I’d be remiss if I didn’t make special mention of Steve McNiven’s pencils. Wow. Gorgeous work. This is one of those rare instances where I’d buy a title for the art alone. Fortunately, Brubaker’s narrative process ensures the book delivers on both counts.

Verdict: Solid!

Today’s entry is dedicated to blog regular JimFromJersey. Here’s hoping 2012 is a better year, buddy!
                        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...odest-mailbag/

December 10, 2011

Photo: Jean Grey – Phoenix

Heading out to dinner tonight with some old Stargate friends. A late dinner. I know that many don’t consider 8:00 p.m. late (hell, in France and Spain, they often don’t start eating until 10:00 p.m.) but so far as I’m concerned, late dinners are a young man’s game, secretly designed to segue seamlessly into an 11:00 p.m. bar call. Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not passing judgment. Back in the day, I used to go clubbing all the time. Me and my buddies would start the night at the Peel Pub (or over at the Stanley Tavern frequented by old war veterans), knocking back watered-down beer before heading over to the Thunderdome. We’d make sure to get there before 7:30 p.m. so we could skip the cover charge and enjoy the $4 pitchers until 11:00 p.m. Four hours later, we’d shut the place down and walk three blocks over to Kojax for souvlaki (where a friend’s friend once ordered the hot sauce and suffered an all-night nose bleed). Five blocks over we’d catch the late bus that would leave every hour on the hour, depositing us on the West Island forty-five minutes later. A fifteen minute walk home and I’d be in bed by 5:00 a.m. with the birds chirping, the sun rising and, three hours later, mom vacuuming and singing church hymns at the top of her lungs. Those were my Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights for most of my university years. On the surface, it seems exhausting but, at the time, it was nice, comfy little routine that allowed me to pass the time between not going to classes and arguing with one of my several crazy girlfriends.

On those nights, my partners in crime varied, but the core group remained fairly consistent. There was Nigel, the artist – a soft-spoken literati with a penchant for modwear and the Premier League who once broke his ankle while cutting through a parking lot in the dead of night, racing to catch that 4:00 bus back to the West Island – and save himself $2 in cab fare. There was John, the baby-faced boozer who always got into trouble whenever he drank but usually managed to emerge unscathed (except for the time that girl knocked out his two front teeth). There was Ramesh, the voice of reason, who always managed to maintain a certain level of lucid sobriety and borderline dignity that the rest of us would speed past with alarming regularity. And then there was me. On rare occasions, my writing partner Paul would join us but he was never one for beer or crowds, preferring the quiet dignity of numerous glasses of scotch over conversation.

I can’t say I miss those days, but I do miss the camaraderie, in general, and the company of my olds friends in particular. I think fondly back to that time Nigel tried sake for the first time – got so drunk he wandered off, couldn’t find his way back to the party, and ended up leaving his comb on the windshield of John’s car as a cryptic message to us (“Hey, what’s this dirty comb doing on the windshield. Wait! That’s Nigel’s comb! Comb. Home. Nigel’s one home!”). That time John picked a fight with three burly rugby players in the dead of winter, ended up down on the ice, slipping and sliding, unable to land a punch – until his buddy, visiting from out west, hurried over to see what was going on and ended up getting slugged; a broken nose for his troubles. That time I woke up, having dreamt I’d done a half dozen beers, two zombies, tequila shots, and several cigars the previous night with predictably disastrous results – only to quickly realize it hadn’t been a dream after all.

If not altogether great times, they certainly were memorable.

And what about you, dear readers? Keeping in touch with your old friends? Ribald memories of note worth sharing with the rest of us?

A modest mailbag:

CMDragonia writes: “This year my friends are having a cartoon/comic themed New Years Eve party. What could a female red-head (with a blonde wig just in case) dress as?”

Answer: Jean Grey – Phoenix, of course.

Gen writes: ” Made your truffles last night Joe. Thanks for posting your recipe a while back. I used some 60% cacao and rolled some in cocoa, some in finely chopped walnuts. Turned out pretty well, I think, though I need to work on my rolling technique (I’m thinking I tried to work with it too soon after taking it out of the fridge). Any suggestions?”

Answer: Yes. Make sure you leave it in the refrigerator long enough – I’d suggest overnight – so that it doesn’t melt in your hands. Also, consider using Akemi’s two-spoon technique – scooping the chocolate and then molding it back and forth between the two spoons before using your hands for that final roll.

Shiny writes: “What was the best dish of 2011?”

Answer: Hmmm. Hard to say. The truffle risotto at Campagnola Roma? The veal rack with Hunter Sauce and shaved white truffles that same night? The basil and tomato spaghetti at Scarpetta. About a half dozen dishes at Buca in Toronto.

Preston writes: “OK. What’s up with all the Jello in Stargate?”

Answer: The jello – specifically blue jello – was an inside joke amongst a couple of the (SG-1) actors that took on a life of its own. It wasn’t uncommon for different behind-the-scenes individuals to leave their mark on certain episodes. In addition to the blue jello, there was Director Martin Wood’s enormous wrench, Director Will Waring’s hidden pineapples, and Director Peter DeLuise’s numerous cameos. That conspicuous snickers bar in SGA’s The Ark was an oversight and not a signature prop.

Christoffer Grandin writes: “I gather that you’re not a fan of video games., though if it’s due a genuine dislike for the forum or a lack of time I won’t hazard a guess on. Anyway, my question. As a fan of Scifi, have you at the very least read anything about the video game series “Mass Effect” by Bioware? Maybe peeked at wikipedia? Of course I can’t be sure, but I think you’d enjoy the story that powers this award winning role playing series."

Answer: It’s not that I don’t enjoy gaming. Quite the opposite in fact, which is why I avoid starting a hobby that could potentially take over my life. And, yes, I’ve heard very good things about Mass Effect.
                          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ner-at-refuel/

December 11, 2011

Photos: Martin Gero, dinner, Rob Cooper, Jewel Staite, Chelan

Last night, a bunch of us gathered at Refuel for a dinner in honor of Golden Boy Martin Gero who happened to be in town. There were eight of us in all. Rather than choose individual dishes from the menu, we elected to leave our culinary fates in the hands of the infinitely capable Chef Jane Cornborough who has really impressed since taking the creative reins at the restaurant. We ended up enjoying about a dozen delicious creations, served a la famiglia...

And then for dessert...

Yet another terrific meal at Refuel.

Today, the guys came over for some football – and, of course, to cheer on my Snow Monkeys. As I write this blog entry, they are down to their playoff opponent. Their survival will all come down to Monday Night Football and the Seattle Defense. Let’s hope for plenty of sacks, fumble recoveries, and interception returns for touchdowns!
                            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...apanese-roots/

December 12, 2011

Photos: Macarons, pastries, pecan pie, ice cream, snow monkey

Ah, yes. Nothing says Sunday afternoon football with the guys like macarons, pastries, pecan pie and ice cream:

Am I right?

Mike Dopud ended up bringing a case of beer last weekend. What was he thinking? For that kind of money, he could have picked up a linzer torte or a tompouce or even a croquembouche.

Yes, my Snow Monkeys are poised to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, set to topple the once-mighty #3-ranked I Have No Imagination. We’re down 97.28 to 96.94 in R.I.P. Stargate fantasy football league playoff action and need a meager half a point from the Seattle D to win the weekend and move on to the semi-finals. Of course Tio, aka Popular Vote Petunia (who I’ll be playing next weekend should I advance), reminded me that he was in this exact same position last year – with the exact same teams – and ended up losing when his Defense racked up a less than impressive -3 points. That’s negative three points! I’m not worried though. I think I’ll wrap up my win before the end of the first half and then it’ll be smooooooooooooth sailing!

Hmmmm. Seems I’ve hit run a bit of a skid on the old comic book ride. As many of you know, I’ve been working my way through most of the titles out there to find out what interests and what doesn’t. I give a book three issues and if it still fails to intrigue, I move on. I was batting about .400, which I thought was pretty good. Until the past couple of days when seven successive titles didn’t make the cut. Justice League Dark, The Avengers, Captain Atom, Deadpool, Batman the Dark Knight (!), Avengers 1959, and The Savage Hawkman – simply not my cup of tea. Maybe there’s hope on the on-deck circle: Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E., Wolverine: The Best There Is, Deadman, Ultimate X-Men, and Suicide Squad.

Yesterday, Akemi tried to convince me that John Denver’s Take Me Home, Country Roads is actually a Japanese song. She was mighty convincing, belting out the Japanese lyrics (conspicuously minus any mention of West Virginia) and then informing me the song originated from Ghibli’s Whispers of the Heart. Well, I looked it up (Thank you, wikipedia) and had to break the bad news to her: a Japanese composer actually covered the song for Ghibli. And John Denver was NOT Japanese.

Off to watch the game! GO SNOW MONKEYS!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...and-a-mailbag/

December 13, 2011

Photo: Snow monkeys

It’s been non-stop partying at Snow Monkey central since my Snow Monkeys wrapped up their first ever post-season victory in R.I.P. Stargate fantasy football league action. This sets up a big semi-final showdown against the much-reviled, #2 ranked Popular Vote Petunia next weekend and, while all the experts (and their data-based computer-generated projections – ie. Madden 2012) are predicting a Snow Monkey loss, my wild and woolly warriors are focused on an upset win. It’s actually a double-celebration over at Snow Monkey central as the team has also advanced to the playoffs in my other NFL.com fantasy league where they’ll be playing the #1-ranked team in semi-final action. Should be a busy weekend, so please don’t call between 5:00 p.m. Thursday afternoon and 1:00 a.m. Tuesday morning. Thanks.

My eyes are bleary from research. First off, I’ve been reading up on the various rules and regulations covering Japanese-Canadian co-productions. Unfortunately, while I’ve read a lot, I’m having a hard time getting a handle on the procedures for securing funding and participation. Fortunately, I’ve got a fresh pair of eyes in Ivon Bartok who informed me he will join me in Tokyo early next year if I’m able to set up some meetings for our potential projects.

Also on the new project/research front – have been doing a lot of reading on the Italian renaissance of late: political intrigue, soci0economic factors, military conflicts. A lot more interesting than international co-pros. I hope to get through the last of these tomes sometime by the middle of next year, then start writing the first draft of the script during the summer. A trip to Italy may also be in the offing (research, natch): Florence and Milan mainly, but a little Rome and Venice as well. And, now that I think about it, given some of the more intriguing developments of the historical narrative I’ll be pursuing: Naples, Bologna, Genoa and Perugia.

Anyone out there an Italian historian specializing in the Italian city-states? Or an expert on Canadian-Japanese television co-productions? If so, you could well be my new technical advisor/consulting producer!

Ten days to Montreal and I just saved 2/3 on my round-trip fare by canceling my initial booking and taking advantage of a special seat sale. Normally, whenever Air Canada sends me those “Great Deals!” emails, I delete them immediately. This morning, however, I elected to check one out and, as a result, ended up getting the same return flight at 1/3 the initial cost. Well, either that or I was redirected to a phishing site resembling the official Air Canada where I just gave them my visa number. Guess I’ll find out next Friday when I try to board my flight!

Mailbag:

DP writes: “Could it be that learning what you needed to know to write a comic has ruined your ability to enjoy them for a time?”

Answer: That’s certainly the case in film and television. My ex used to hate going to see movies with me because I used to grumble and grouse about the lazy writing, trite conveniences, and ridiculous logic all the time. I do less grumbling and grousing nowadays – but only because I see very few movies, limiting myself to a few television shows whose dramatic developments and “shocking twists” I regularly predict, much to Akemi’s amazement. Aint nothing amazing about it. Honest. In the case of comic books, I possess nowhere near the experience that would allow me to pass that sort of judgement. Of course, I still bristle at the occasional plot contrivances, but my reasons for not following a title have more to do with personal taste than any failure on the part of the writer or artist. I’ve read at least three issues of about 50 titles so far and am sticking with about 20 of them. Those numbers may fall off as well but even if I’m only following ten books (in addition to favorites The Walking Dead, Scalped, and Chew) I think that’s plenty. Do you read? What are you enjoying?

Shiny writes: “There used to be an old fashioned bakery a block from work but it’s gone. So now I will have to scope out the coffee shop and pray they have pecan pie.”

Answer: I have a weakness for pecan pie, especially when it’s served warm with a healthy double-scoop of vanilla ice cream. The one Patrick brought over this past weekend was surprisingly good – and available at your local Whole Foods market.

Maren. writes: “But skipping across your blog I stumbled upon the Asterix-comics in your “recently read”-list. I am myself absolutely fanatic about them and I was surprised to see them there. After all they have never been published in english language, have they? But then as you are fluent in French, not all that suprising, I guess.”

Answer: While they have been published in English, I picked up the French versions because those are the ones I originally read in high school (French immersion). Will have to finish re-reading them all before I can pick a favorite. Haven’t seen the live-action movies and I was, frankly, reluctant to – but if you say they’re good…

jonathanquirk writes: “…may I recommend “Atomic Robo” from Red5 Comics…”

Answer: Yes, you may. I’ll be sure to pick it up tomorrow when I’m at The Comicshop

Mike A. writes: “Oh well, my money league is the one that matters most in the end and in that one, my guys look to have some pretty stellar matchups next week! Big points, here we come!!”

Answer: Best of luck. I face a tough match-up against an opponent with an awesome backfield made up of Arian Foster, CJ2K, and MJD. I’ve got to hope my receivers put up some big numbers.

Paloosa writes: “This week I’m hoping my luck holds up for the vestibular problems I’m going to be tested for.”

Answer: Fingers crossed for you. Keep us updated.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X