Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I’ve already mentioned, I’ll be taking the rest of the years off. Sort of. There’s a pilot script I’ve been meaning to get around to finishing and I have a fun, comic-related project (not Dark Matter, my Dark Horse comic book series, that hits the shelves January 2012) for this blog.
    Could he be talking about a Stargate comic book?
    sigpic

Comment

It's possible, but I doubt it very much.

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-alex-weekend/

September 5, 2011

Photos: Trevor, Sarah, Alexander M. Ruemelin, Ryan, Akemi, Joe Mallozzi, lamp

I woke up this morning unable to move, my dogs clustered around me like a Cruella Deville topcoat. I figured it was one of two things: 1) Like animals who sense earthquakes or similar natural disasters, my super-sensitive dogs were consoling me ahead of inevitable catastrophe, or 2) Winter had arrived. Today’s weather convinced me to go with option #2. Wha- happened? I could have sworn it was still summer yesterday!

September is shaping up to be a busy month as I count down the days to my Vancouver return. Just received an email from Jen Spence (SGU’s Lisa Park) who will be in town for a couple of days next week, so will have to make time for her. And my buddy Steve. Plus Anne-Marie, Carl, Marty G., Mega, Ryna, John, Nancy, Alan, Ivon, Alexander, Sarah, my aunt Antoinette, and many more. I may have to stay an extra month just to squeeze in all these dinners.

As I’ve already mentioned, I’ll be taking the rest of the years off. Sort of. There’s a pilot script I’ve been meaning to get around to finishing and I have a fun, comic-related project (not Dark Matter, my Dark Horse comic book series, that hits the shelves January 2012) for this blog. Also, with Akemi’s October 18th visa expiration fast-approaching, I’m hoping we can find a way to extend that looming deadline. It would be very sad to bring her back to Van for only a couple of weeks and then have her leave two days after my birthday (start working on those cards now!). Well, all I can say is I’m working on it. Tick, tick, tick.

Some highlights of my (apparently all Alex) weekend:

Friday night – dinner at Trevor Kitchen with....

Also in attendance were precision driver David Julienne and stunt wizard Mohammed Elachi (not pictured clutching the requisite menu).

Then, Saturday night was BBQ night hosted by the lovely Sarah – and her boyfriend the German guy. I brought sliders: buffalo, wild boar, camel, and kangaroo. All surprisingly good and, frankly, hard to tell apart once you lead ‘em up with caramelized onions, avocado, barbecue sauce, and bird’s eye chilis. I lean toward the buffalo...

And then, Sunday, we checked out the Spicy Food Festival which sounded a lot more interesting than it actually was. We wandered about for the first twenty minutes, ravenous, and finally located the (all of six) food stands. Had some not bad ox-tail, a great curry goat roti (would it have killed them to remove the bones before wrapping the sucker up?), and plenty o’ plantain. Then it rained. And we went home. Good times.

I’m off to complete my Mind Meld write-up for SFSignal’s JP Frantz. Just finalizing my top ten…

Today’s entry is dedicated to blog regular PBMom. Get well soon!
        sigpic
        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...more-ill-miss/

September 6, 2011

Photos: SG-1 season 10, Andy Mikita, Damion, Joe C. and the gang, Joe K., Tara Yelland

Back when Stargate was heading into it’s tenth season, I was feeling very good about its chances for a pick-up. And I wasn’t the only one. I remember standing on set one day while we were shooting The Quest II, chatting with actor Chris Judge (Teal’c) as the faux snow fluttered down around us (and stuck to the bottom of my shoes, never to be properly removed). Chris was talking about the logic of a season 11 pick-up. Well, he was talking about the logic of a season 11 pick-up while trying to convince me to buy a Bentley Azure. Anyway, his argument made perfect sense. Atlantis would, no doubt, go another season and, since the double-production benefited both shows immensely, it stood to reason that SG-1 would get another season as well. I believed it. After five years of having my doubts upended by a late season announcement of a surprise pick-up, I’d gone into SG-1?s tenth season with a certain amount of confidence. How fitting then that that confidence would be upended by a late season announcement announcing the show’s cancellation.

We got the news just prior to SG-1?s 200th episode party. It was a grand affair – probably the franchise’s best party – and not even the news that the show would NOT be back for another year could sour the mood. Well, in all fairness, it didn’t sour the mood because no one at the party heard the announcement. The acoustics in the room were terrible and even so, no one was really listening to the speeches. At one point, I turned to my writing partner, Paul, standing beside me and asked: “Did he just announce the cancellation?”. Paul shrugged, and said: “Have another cup of chocolate, buddy.”, referring to the liquid chocolate from the fountain that, technically I suppose, was only for dipping but I’d been sipping all night.

Anyway, we’d been cancelled and, eventually, the news spread. There was another season of Atlantis to look forward to, but this was small consolation to the cast and crew of SG-1 who had worked hard for many years (ten to be precise). At the time, all but the season (series) finale had yet to be written. And so, I suppose it was only fitting that Robert C. Cooper, would write the final episode, the appropriately titled Unending that concluded the series but left the door open for more adventures to come.

Looking back on the show’s tenth and final season, I have to say it was my favorite (or maybe a close second to SG-1?s ninth season).

FLESH AND BLOOD (1001)

Picking up where we left off the previous season, Robert Cooper managed to juggle all of the various storylines and characters in an episode at turns humorous, poignant, thrilling, and shocking, paving the way for the introduction of the season’s new Big Bad: Adria, daughter of the Ori (not “oreo” as one actress who auditioned for the role pronounced it). Prior to her reaching adulthood (the ultimate Adria played by the beautiful Morena Baccarin), we glimpsed our villainess in three stages of development: the ages of 4, 7, and 12. Seven year old Adria was played by Jodelle Ferland who returned to the franchise in Atlantis’s fourth season as the spoiled princess Harmony in one of my favorite SGA episodes. A lot of stuff going on in this episode and director Will Waring did a terrific job on what I believe was his first big season premiere.

On another note/production, here are some more of the terrific production personnel I’ll miss as I head westward...
          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...e-day-maximus/

September 7, 2011

Photos: Antoinette, Calr Binder, Akemi, bento box, Maximus

“Why your aunt has so many pictures of Justin Bieber?”asked Akemi.

“That isn’t Justin Bieber,”I told her. ”That’s my cousin Jake.”

Akemi scanned the photos on the shelf, then cast me a dubious look. ”Sure?”

“Yeah,”I said. ”I’m sure.”

We’d just returned from a fantastic dinner at what is now my favorite restaurant in Toronto: Buca! Too bad it took me six months to find it. Highlights of the night included…oh, everything. Cured pork belly, crispy smelts, crispy prosciutto-wrapped brains, stuffed zucchini blossoms, dandelion greens, gnocchi, lobster orechiette, sweet corn-filled pasta with taleggio, pork blood pasta with parsley and rapini, pork blood and chocolate tart, goat’s milk yogurt and vanilla panna cotta, tiramisu, and milk and honey gelato. Exemplary service led by Giuseppe Marchesini who thoroughly charmed my 84 year old aunt.

Apparently, this is one of Jewel Staite’s fave Toronto eateries. Why the heck didn’t she tell me about it the last time I saw her in the gym?

When we dropped off my aunt, she insisted on loading us up with fruit. Akemi was, of course, thrilled. Between the fruit, the necklace Fondy had given her, and the special bento box Carl’s wife, Karen, had prepared for her, it was a pretty sweet day for Akemi...

Maximus’s last radioactive road trip tomorrow. Wish him luck!
            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...d-yet-mailbag/

September 8, 2011

Photo: Card

Hey, check it out. My sister, Andria, recently received a card from Satan. He professes his love for her and then, rather ominously, vows to never forget her. Well, truth be told, it was a card from one of the kids at her daycare – a kid who, apparently, has trouble spelling his real name. Not sure what it is but sis assures me it aint Satan. Even if it was, I wouldn’t have been all that surprised what with the ridiculous names wackos (aka celebrities) are bestowing on their newborns these days. Of course, hilarious monikers aren’t limited to Hollywood offspring. My friend Janice once worked with a guy named Seamen Hung. So far, in my books, he holds the title of “Worst Name”. Do you have a friend, relative, or unfortunate worker who trumps Seamen? I want to know.

Hmmm. My Snow Monkeys have been dealt an enormous blow even before the start of the fantasy football season. Turns out Peyton Manning’s neck injury is a lot more serious than the Colts organization was letting on and now there is talk that he may miss anywhere from two months to the entire season. Romo is my fallback QB and I also have Buffalo’s Fitzpatrick riding the pine, but should maybe I should be hitting the waiver wire – just in case. Hasselbeck, Alex Smith, Jay Cutler, or Rex Grossman – who do you like? Okay, who do you dislike the least?

Mailbag:

JeffW writes: “Seem like you have quite a following among my fellow electronic engineers…”

Answer: Electronic engineers, SF fans and, most recently, bank managers. Go figure.

moi writes: “When’s the dinner with you mum?”

Answer: Next time I’m in Montreal – next weekend perhaps. We’ll hit Au Pied de Cochon and either Restaurant Graziella, LaLoux, Kitchen Galerie Poisson, or Lemeac. Any Montrealers care to weigh in?

Ponytail writes: “Another thing I’ll miss…did you ever post any pictures of Chris Vance? I don’t recall any. Do you have any? Was he camera shy, or just really suspicious of you?”

Answer: I limited myself to the crew, those working behind the scenes, and the occasional guest star. I steered clear of the cast because the broadcasters had their own photographers on set and I figured they would want to turn some exclusives in the run up to the premiere. I’m sure they’ll be releasing plenty of pics of the charming Mr. Vance soon enough.

David writes: “Can you speak about the lighting conditions for photography? Obviously there are some restaurants that have great lighting and it’s easy to take photos inside.”

Answer: When I photograph food, I prefer to go sans flash to be as unobtrusive as possible. As you said, the lighting in certain restaurants better lend themselves to this than others. Or you could just go for the early bird special and make sure you get plenty of daylight streaming in through that window.

Bloomgate writes: “Also wanted to reiterate my request for any info you could share regarding to Merlin mistaking the SG1 team for his knights of the round table. Were there any plans or discussion of possibly fleshing that out in any way in a theoretical season 11? Even a simple “Yes, the idea was floated” would at least tell me there was something to it.

Answer: In truth, no, there were no plans to explore this further. It was solely intended as a throwaway gag on Merlin’s first awakening.

Nick writes: “What is Brad up to these days?”

Answer: Brad is relaxing, spending time with his family, and doing some writing in preparation for a couple of upcoming projects.

Nick also writes: “Have you heard of/tried Taza Chocolate yet?”

Answer: Nope. Tell me about them.

Tam Dixon writes: “I enjoyed Jodelle Ferland’s performance in SGA. The whole show was hilarious! Whatever happened to the painting? Do you have it hanging in your office?”

Answer: For a while, the painting hung in the office outside Lawren’s office. Eventually, it went the way of most everything else owned by the production – the ZPM’s, the staff weapons, even Lawren himself – all sold off at auction.

Patricia Stewart-Bertrand writes: ” The cancellation was really not surprising. After all, isn’t the fifth season the magic number where the network can syndicate the show and make money, but also want to cut their losses as the show gets more and more expensive from there? And yes, I realize we are talking season ten, but technically, the first four or five seasons belonged to Showtime and not MGM, so the same formula applies.?Or, an I wrong?”

Answer: Your logic is sound but only insofar as it applies to the studio since it owns the show and benefits from the syndication package. Of course, SG-1?s ten year run trumps that argument as well.

Tam Dixon writes: “So if Akemi had to go back to Japan, wouldn’t she be able to reapply or is there a time period limit?”

Answer: Unclear. She is applying for a six month extension to her visa. If she goes back, she could certainly try to apply for another visitor’s visa but I’m told it might be difficult for her to be granted acceptance since she’s already been in Canada over a year.

DP writes: “Joe, would you need a work permit if you did all your work in the cloud* from Japan? What kind of bento breakfasts would you make for Akemi?”

Answer: I actually have given some serious thought to buying a place in Tokyo and splitting my time between Japan and Vancouver (and, possible, L.A.). The only thing holding me back is the dogs.

Rob Cooper writes: ” While I am surprised and excited you took Tony and Dez and wish you the best of luck with the Snow Monkeys, I am worried that you will somehow blame me when the weak, loaded with rookie O-line breaks down.”

Answer: Well who the hell else am I going to blame?

Stargate Sanctum writes: ” Do you believe there is any way the fans could convince MGM to release the deleted TJ flashback scenes, and if so, how do you think we would we best go about it?”

Answer: Don’t know. I’m sure if the studio knows there are customers out there clamoring for those flashbacks, they could included as part of the extras in a future dvd release.

Gina writes: ” Was wondering, if on one of your dining outings to Scarpetta you had had the opportunity to sample the much talked about Spinach and Ricotta Gnudi?”

Answer: I have. A great dish, but nothing comes close to the simple spaghetti and basil.

Debra writes: ” Has your writing partner already left or just not like your dinners out?”

Answer: Paul lives in suburbia, so far away from downtown that he’d have to leave the morning before to get there for that night’s dinner. Also, we spend so much time together at work that we’d risk getting sick of each other if we started socializing. And who’d want that?

PBMom writes: “I’m glad that you are going to be going home now (and so will Maximus), but how will this affect Maximus’ treatments?”

Answer: Maximus had his last radiation treatment today. In two weeks, he has his final anti-cancer vaccine. After that, it’s a matter of sitting back and hoping for the best.

Deni writes: “My daughter tripped and fell on the street in London and really got hurt, blood gushing everywhere, but NOBODY stopped to help her!”

Answer: How is your daughter doing?

Penny writes: “You may have answered this but did you keep any mementos? From any show you’ve worked on?”

Answer: I’ve got a genetic sample disc from Scorched Earth, some rubber/make-up pustules from Lockdown, plastic bags from The Scourge, and a torture pain stick from various episodes (that, in retrospect, I regret not bringing with me to Toronto).
              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ive-road-trip/

September 9, 2011

Photos: Maximus, Joe Mallozzi

Yesterday, our pug Maximus underwent his last radiation treatment targeting the tumor in his mouth. Unlike humans, dogs can only undergo a set number of treatments. Any more, I was informed, and they risk damaging the surrounding healthy cells. Don’t know why this same logic doesn’t apply to human beings but all this to say Thursday was Max’s fifth and final procedure.

He was his usual easy-going self going in, proceeding at a leisurely pace up the stairs, briefly acknowledging the other dogs and cooing owners before settling in for the short wait – parking himself under the seats to presumably make it harder for us to corral him. Unlike my other dogs who will bolt at the sight of a white coat (I suppose you can include me in that group), Maximus is fairly resigned to the realities of vet/hospital visits. Aside from some pre-separation anxiety – manifested by uncontrollable trembling – he seems fairly unconcerned going in.

We received some promising news after the first treatment. Apparently, the tumor had shrunk a little. On the other hand, one of his lymph nodes was swollen and an aspiration suggested suspicious cellular activity. In a subsequent treatment, the lymph node shrunk back considerably, suggesting that particular melanoma had responded to the radiation. Unfortunately, there was no further movement on the tumor which stubbornly refused to shrink any further.

In addition to his radiation treatment, Maximus is receiving an “anti-cancer vaccine” every second week. Its purpose is to jump start the immune system in the hope it will battle the cancer. While it’s shown promising results, these results have been very limited (to what, if I remember correctly, was a less than 25 % success rate). According to the radiation oncologist, while the radiation should see immediate results, the anti-cancer vaccine positive influence – if effective – won’t manifest itself until months down the line.

Maximus has always been very relaxed – even more so since his diagnosis. He sleeps a lot more, walks a lot slower, and his appetite isn’t what it used to be. Not sure if this is the result of the disease, the treatment, or the drugs he’s taking. Interestingly, he’s at his most energetic immediately following the radiation treatment. When we return to the small animal hospital to pick him up, he is thrilled to see us – tail wagging, barking, staggering about comically as the anesthesia works through his system.

Also, when he gets back home, he’s at his very hungriest, eating anything we put down in front of him. This is in stark contrast to his typical disposition to meal time. He’s grown incredibly fickle, to the point where we will prepare three or four different things for him in the hopes that one will strike his fancy. One day, he may want simmered chicken breast, another he may prefer beef. One morning, dog food will be fine while, that night, he may not want anything but mashed banana with a dollop of yogurt. Ultimately, as long as he’s eating, that’s the important thing. Over the past month, he’s been maintaining his svelte 22 pound physique.

I’m noticing that, on the home front, the other dogs are showing Maximus a little more – as crazy as it sounds – kindness: waiting for him to catch up on walks, snuggling up beside him at bedtime. Jelly seems particularly affected by Maximus’s weekly absences, crying when he leaves and then greeting him on his return with an enthusiasm usually reserved for me. And meal time.

The plan is to bring Maximus back for his anti-cancer vaccine in two weeks. At that time, they’ll do one final measurement of the tumor to see if these treatments have seen any positive results. And then, it’ll be back to Vancouver for some much-needed R&R (and here I refer to both Maximus and me). I’m hoping the flight back with these guys will go even smoother. I ended up making two trips to transport all four dogs back in March. Back then, Maximus was so quiet during the flight that I had to keep poking him to make sure he was alright. Bubba and Lulu were pretty good as well, saving up their howls for the baggage claim. Only Jelly was a problem, whimpering through most of the 5 hour flight. I won’t be taking the red-eye this time.

I’m hoping to get them back before there’s any movement on the recent Canadian Medical Association call for a ban on pets flying in cabin. The doctors argue that pets can cause sniffling, sneezing and, in extreme cases, anaphylactic shock in people with severe allergies. Of course, I’d argue the same could be said for perfume, nuts, and various other potential allergens. According to the article in the Toronto Star, the doctors “said there would be no problem with transporting pets in a pressurized cargo hold” – which goes to show they may know something about allergies but know nothing about transporting dogs in cargo – especially short-snouted dogs like mine that are more likely to die in those less-than-cozy compartments: Short-snouted dogs most likely to die on planes – Travel – Travel Tips … Just ran into a guy today who drove up from Houston with his two boston terriers. He made the mistake of transporting them cargo once. When he went to pick them up, he discovered the water in their dog bowls had frozen solid during the flight!

So what’s the answer? What sort of compromise can be reached that will leave everyone happy? And make the airlines a lot of money in the process? How about pet-friendly flights? Actually charge animals for seats. I think they’d be pleasantly surprised by how many pet owners would fork over the cash to ensure their furry companions fly comfortably – and safely.

Above – a zen moment for Maximus in the garden outside the animal clinic.

Maximus has also been a lot needier of late, seemingly suffering separation anxiety whenever I leave him in the car. Akemi snapped the above pic when I popped out to pick up corn from a local farmer’s market. Apparently, he cried until I returned.

Sadly, the radiation treatments yielded no positive results. After the initial shrinkage, the tumor returned to its original size, suggesting a very aggressive melanoma. The doctor said the best hope now is that the anti-cancer vaccine works its magic and jump-starts his immune system. Other than that, she simply advised me to enjoy his company.

For now, Maximus seems in pretty good spirits. A little tired but generally happy. He may be a picky eater, but he’s still finishing his meals and that’s a good sign.

Here’s hoping the move back to familiar territory helps!
                sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...als-mind-meld/

September 10, 2011

Photos: Jelly, Maximus

Planning a road trip to Montreal next weekend, Akemi and doggies in tow. Looks like my visit will coincide with the Montreal Comic Con (Montreal Comic Con). ”You excited to meet Stan Lee and Adam West?”my sister texted me. Yes, would love to meet Adam West and check out the original batmobile (was and still am a fan of the campny 60?s t.v. series), but got the chance to meet Stan Lee years ago in Pasadena. Brad, Paul and I were there as part of a SyFy/USA event celebrating Psych, the launch of Who Wants To Be A Superhero?, and SG-1?s 200th episode. We had just had dinner at Robert Picardo’s beautiful house and were milling about the open-air function when I spotted my childhood hero: Stan Lee. He was looking incredibly relaxed, seated, surrounded by a half-dozen of his crew. He looked to be holding court as the various well-wishers – many of them established actors and directors – stepped up to shake his hand and exchange a few words. I’m not one to be star struck but this was Stan Lee! I waited until the queue dispersed and eventually approached him. I introduced myself and told him I was a long-time fan. Well, he couldn’t have been nicer, smiling hugely, thanking me for stopping by and then, upon learning I was part of the Stargate franchise, lauding the show’s success and wishing it many more seasons to come (from Stan’s mouth to the network’s ear!). Very cool.

Last week, I received an email from my old friend, J.P. Frantz of SFSignal, who wanted to know if I had time to take part in an upcoming Mind Meld discussion. Well, as it turns out, due to recent developments (see previous issues, ed.), I have oodles of free time, so I welcomed the opportunity to weigh in and force my opinion on the unwary masses.

The question for this go-round: If you could, what books or stories would you like to read again for the first time?

My response:

I read a lot (or, frankly, used to be before landing my last gig) and, while I’ve certainly read many good books, it’s not often I’ve come across a truly great one. But on those rare occasions it does happen, I set these books back on my special shelf, a space reserved for those titles that so surprised, so touched, so thrilled, that I would actually consider revisiting them some time in the future. I don’t think anything can equal the experience of reading a great book for the first time, but I’ve found that recommending the book to a friend and seeing their enthusiastic reaction comes a very close second.

The following are my “most recommended”, all of them great books I would love to read again for the first time...

Old Man’s War, by John Scalzi: Revitalized my long dormant love of reading – books in general and SF in particular. Smart, humorous, and impossible to put down.

A Game of Thrones, by George R. R. Martin: The greatest ongoing fantasy epic boasts a dizzying roster of colorful characters, twists, turns, and the type of surprises you don’t see on t.v. Until recently.

The Blade Itself, by Joe Abercrombie: Deft, dark, and disturbingly visceral, it turns High Fantasy on its ear – then slices it off and stomps on it.

Fast Forward 1, edited by Lou Anders: While Old Man’s War reignited my passion for reading, it was this anthology that renewed my love for the short form.

The Dark Beyond the Stars, by Frank M. Robinson: An underappreciated gem that I discovered, interestingly enough, on a list of underappreciated gems. If you’re a fan of science fiction, I defy you not to love it.

Camp Concentration, by Thomas M. Disch: A masterpiece by one of SF’s greatest minds. Sharp and subversive, it packs an emotional wallop that lingers long after it’s been read.

The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events Book #1), by Lemony Snicket: I picked up this book on a lark because I found the cover art amusing. Little did I realize I’d become hooked on the work of the most devilishly dark and wickedly clever children’s (?) authors since Edward Gorey.

The SFWA European Hall of Fame, edited by James Morrow and Kathryn Morrow: Another overlooked gem, this collection brings together an outstanding selection of European SF and Fantasy. It actually pains me that they didn’t do a second volume.

The Speed of Dark, by Elizabeth Moon: One of the most touching books I’ve had the pleasure to discover. I loved it so much I made it a book of the month club pick on my blog even though I’d already read it.

The Empire of Ice Cream, by Jeffrey Ford: My introduction to the works of the wildly inventive Jeffrey Ford. Ever since, I’ve picked up everything he’s written – and continue to be blown away.

Head on over to SFSignal and check out what others had to say:
                  http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/201...he-first-time/
                  And, once you have, head back here and give me your list of “stories you like to read again for the first time”.
                  sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ur-commenceth/

September 11, 2011

Photos: Ryna, Akemi, dinner at Scarpetta, Joe Mallozzi, snow monkeys

Well, our Toronto Farewell tour officially kicked off tonight. Not sure when, exactly, we’re leaving, but I imagine it’s somewhere between next week and December, depending on how quickly several outstanding issues can be addressed and put to bed. In the meantime, I’ve lined up a slew of goodbye and see-you-later dinners that, if necessary, will take me to December.

Anyway, tonight we went to dinner with our friend Ryna. Our destination – well, I’ll let you guess.

And, chances are, you guessed correctly...

Okay, yes, you guessed it. We went to Scarpetta...

Our Fantasy Football league (R.I.P. Stargate) kicked off its second season this weekend (well, technically, Thursday night) and, despite the many underperformers on the roster, my Snow Monkeys looked poised to pull of a week #1 win over the Surrey Monkey Poachers. I’m up 10 points heading into the Monday Night double-header where our final two running backs face off: my Knowshon Moreno vs. his BenJarvus Green-Ellis.

I dumped Manning and started Romo but, in the coming weeks, will keep my eye on my back-up QB, Fitzpatrick, who positively decimated the hapless Chiefs. My big guns – Jahvid Best, Adrian Peterson, Hakeem Nicks, and Roddy White – disappointed but I’m counting on them to bounce back next week when I take on I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter and their trash-talking GM Daryl.

Just as I was just about to hit “publish” on today’s entry I read the news of Andy Whitfield’s passing (R.I.P. Andy Whitfield). He was a wonderful actor whose breakout role as the titular character in Spartacus: Blood and Sand won him well-deserved praise. Very sad.
                    sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-news-of-note/

September 12, 2011

Photo: Tara Yelland

Our friend Tara Yelland leads the blog in her sassy steampunk attire. This pic taken, last weekend, at – where else? – a steampunk-themed wedding. Apparently, it was a beautiful ceremony. Up until they were attacked by a giant mechanized squid. Happily, Tara was saved by airship pirates and will, thus, be available for a future reader Q&A I have planned for her.

News of note:

You know times are bad when former t.v. stars turn to crime. Gumby robs store! (Make sure to check out the surveillance video): http://business.financialpost.com/20...en-gumby-robs/

From the gang at Cracked.com: The 5 Most Depraved Sex Scenes Implied by ‘Harry Potter’

And in medical news….Damn! Study finds ‘SpongeBob’ is harmful for kids

Undercover radar cops just blend right into the background. Don’t mind that guy. He’s just an elf: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...ogallery?speed

I think I’ll stick with The Peninsula: http://ph.news.yahoo.com/feature-dea...042244634.html

Man neglects starving dogs. Starving dogs neglect to inform man he looks mighty delicious: Abandoned for two weeks, starving dogs eat owner
                      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...son-akemi-jen/

September 13, 2011

Photos: Snow monkeys, Carl Binder, Jennifer Spence

After eking out a two point opening week win, my Snow Monkeys are 1-0 in this young Fantasy Football season. Despite injuries, poor player performances, and suspect managerial decisions, they got the W – marking the first step in what I predict will be an undefeated season.

Spoke to the immigration lawyer to with regard to Akemi’s status and I am less than heartened. It turns out what we assumed was the right decision – filing a request for a six month visitor visa extension online well in advance of her October 18th deadline – was, in fact, the worst move we could have made, a move that could see her Japan-bound within a month. Hard to go in to all the whys and wherefores but suffice it to say doing the right thing is not always the “right thing” to do. Hopefully all is not lost as I try to scramble to put together the necessary supporting material that will see Akemi stick around. Tonight, I scour the blog for photos of us and then, tomorrow, I print up some documents, photocopy others, then go down to the police station to get fingerprinted.

Really.

Dinner tonight with Jen Spence. Carl, Paul, Akemi and I met up with the former Dr. Lisa Park at Jules Bistro for tuna tartare, a caramelized leek quiche, flat iron steaks, and tarte tatin. A terrific night. It was great to see Jen – who pulled a fast one by nabbing and paying the bill before any of us knew what was up. ”It’s my thank you to you guys for the last two years,”she said.

“Well, great,”said Paul, suitably guilted. ”Now we’re going to have to bring SGU back.”

Carl pointed out that he had done his part by not only signing the petition but liking the facebook fan campaign. I believe he even went so far as poking it too.
                        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ets-celebrate/

September 14, 2011

Photos: Akemi, dinner, Carl Binder, Trevor, Holly, Alexander M. Ruemelin, Joe Mallozzi, chocolate, Kato Chan

What a difference a day makes. Well, a day – and a decision. Yesterday, I briefly outlined the problem we faced regarding our desire to extend Akemi’s visitor visa. In short, we’d made a mistake by applying online rather than going through a lawyer – a mistake that, I feared, could result in Akemi being forced to return to Japan on October 18th. Following a sleepless night, I was struck by a thought – a Hail Mary idea that could undo the potential damage and set things right. All I had to do, I figured, was cancel the online application and defer to our immigration lawyer. Simple, no? Yes, you guessed it. No. Try as I might, I couldn’t figure out how to cancel the application. Akemi’s profile page simply informed us that the application was pending. Following many fruitless attempts to find any how-to information on the subject, I elected to phone up Immigration Canada’s call center and ask. I got the automated system and, eventually, an answer. But not to the question I’d originally wanted answer. I never did find out how to cancel an online application. But I did find out that Akemi’s application for an extension of her visitor visa was approved! So, she’ll be with us for another six months (and, possibly, longer – but more on that in future blog entries).

Over the course of 24 hours, we went from this -

To THIS -

Tonight, we celebrated with good friends – and good schnitzel at the Country Style Hungarian...

Sarah, Alex’s (much) better half was also in attendance but I didn’t snap a pic of her so you’ll have to trust me on this one.

So, all in all, a MUCH better day.

Who?

Kato Chan!

Glad I could clear that up.

Tomorrow, much running around ahead of our big Montreal road trip. Also, I’ll finally (hopefully) resume my trip down memory lane as I reflect back on SG-1?s final season…
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                            http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-alex-weekend/

September 5, 2011

Photos: Trevor, Sarah, Alexander M. Ruemelin, Ryan, Akemi, Joe Mallozzi, lamp

I woke up this morning unable to move, my dogs clustered around me like a Cruella Deville topcoat. I figured it was one of two things: 1) Like animals who sense earthquakes or similar natural disasters, my super-sensitive dogs were consoling me ahead of inevitable catastrophe, or 2) Winter had arrived. Today’s weather convinced me to go with option #2. Wha- happened? I could have sworn it was still summer yesterday!

September is shaping up to be a busy month as I count down the days to my Vancouver return. Just received an email from Jen Spence (SGU’s Lisa Park) who will be in town for a couple of days next week, so will have to make time for her. And my buddy Steve. Plus Anne-Marie, Carl, Marty G., Mega, Ryna, John, Nancy, Alan, Ivon, Alexander, Sarah, my aunt Antoinette, and many more. I may have to stay an extra month just to squeeze in all these dinners.

As I’ve already mentioned, I’ll be taking the rest of the years off. Sort of. There’s a pilot script I’ve been meaning to get around to finishing and I have a fun, comic-related project (not Dark Matter, my Dark Horse comic book series, that hits the shelves January 2012) for this blog. Also, with Akemi’s October 18th visa expiration fast-approaching, I’m hoping we can find a way to extend that looming deadline. It would be very sad to bring her back to Van for only a couple of weeks and then have her leave two days after my birthday (start working on those cards now!). Well, all I can say is I’m working on it. Tick, tick, tick.

Some highlights of my (apparently all Alex) weekend:

Friday night – dinner at Trevor Kitchen with....

Also in attendance were precision driver David Julienne and stunt wizard Mohammed Elachi (not pictured clutching the requisite menu).

Then, Saturday night was BBQ night hosted by the lovely Sarah – and her boyfriend the German guy. I brought sliders: buffalo, wild boar, camel, and kangaroo. All surprisingly good and, frankly, hard to tell apart once you lead ‘em up with caramelized onions, avocado, barbecue sauce, and bird’s eye chilis. I lean toward the buffalo...

And then, Sunday, we checked out the Spicy Food Festival which sounded a lot more interesting than it actually was. We wandered about for the first twenty minutes, ravenous, and finally located the (all of six) food stands. Had some not bad ox-tail, a great curry goat roti (would it have killed them to remove the bones before wrapping the sucker up?), and plenty o’ plantain. Then it rained. And we went home. Good times.

I’m off to complete my Mind Meld write-up for SFSignal’s JP Frantz. Just finalizing my top ten…

Today’s entry is dedicated to blog regular PBMom. Get well soon!
                            Are you moving back to Vancouver? Sorry, i havent read your blog in awhile...

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...g-1-and-uh-oh/

September 15, 2011

Photo: SG-1 Season 10's Morpheus

Yesterday, Akemi had her first good night’s sleep in a long time. The news that she’d been approved for an extension of her visitor’s visa had wiped away months of anxiety. Until early this morning when, while showering, she suddenly wondered if I’d made a mistake. Had Immigration Canada’s automated call center really informed me that Akemi’s recent application had been approved – or were they simply reconfirming the approval of her initial application made in 2010? My first thought was “Don’t be ridiculous.” My second thought was: “Where’s my phone?!!”. I called and was much relieved to hear that, indeed, her application made in June of this year had been approved September 9th. Now, provided “approved” means what I think it does (to judge favorably; to confirm or sanction formally; ratify) then I think we’re okay. Still, I anxiously await that official letter…

Okay. As promised, allow me to continue my trip down memory lane. When I last left off, we were just getting into SG-1 tenth and final season…

One of the great things about working on Stargate was the relative ease of the production. I’ve always likened the it to a well-oiled machine replete with checks and balances in place to ensure that any bumps experienced along the way would be minor and quickly addressed. Chalk it up to the hundreds of supremely talented and experienced individuals who did their jobs so well. Careful planning also helped in the form of early preparation in the lead-up to each season. We would usually wrap in October and then, while most of the production headed off for hiatus, we – the writers/producers – would spend a month dealing with post-production and planning the next season. In the case of the SG-1?s tenth season, we ended up breaking/outlining about eight stories before going our separate ways in December for a much-deserved break (which always involved writing).

I remember sitting down to start work on my first script – what would be Morpheus – and finishing a first draft in less than a week. No procrastination, no first act second-guessing, no third act delays – I wrote, straight through, from FADE IN to FADE OUT. A first! I was amazed – and so emboldened, I jumped on my next script right away. Counterstrike also went exceedingly well. So exceedingly well, in fact, that I decided “What the hell” and jumped on the third script, Memento Mori. I ended up writing all three solid drafts in two weeks, gave my writing partner the hiatus off, and gave the production a great head start on the show’s tenth season.

MORPHEUS (1002)

The original idea for this story was actually ship-based. I pitched out an episode in which the Odyssey, on its way back to Earth following an off-world op, encounters a seemingly derelict ship floating in space. SG-1 and some members of the Odyssey team investigate and discover the crew long-dead. As they search through the mystery ship’s database, they fall victim to the “sleeping sickness”. One by one, they drift off until, eventually, only SG-1 remains to put together the pieces before it’s too late. The location was changed to a planet and we ended up using our standing village set in the VFX stage (the sight of such memorable sequences as the interior hive ships, the Atlantis cafeteria balcony, and the big Sheppard/Zelenka space jump in SGA’s Adrift), shot to creepy effect by the fabulous Andy Mikita. I loved a lot about this episode: Teal’c saving the day, Daniel and Sam slowly succumbing late in the episode, the slow-mo funeral-like montage and, of course, the B-story which focuses on Vala’s attempts to cheat her way through a psych evaluation. Claudia Black and Ben Ratner (who, coincidentally, I had drinks with the other night as he’s in town promoting his new movie, Sisters and Brothers) were a joy to watch. Their comic timing was impeccable – quick, restrained, and hilarious.

Hmmm. Finishing up this blog entry on Akemi’s laptop. I took a break from working on today’s entry to upload some pics. For some reason, I couldn’t transfer photos from my camera so I decided to restart my Mac. It came back to life with the beautiful Japanese background. And nothing else. No desktop icons, no docks, nothing. It won’t even turn off and, unlike a PC, I can’t just pull the battery. I have no choice but to leave it on and drain the battery in the hopes that the next restart will restore everything.

Clearly, you Mac users have this problem all the time. Nothing to worry about, right?

Right?
                              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...you-road-trip/

September 16, 2011

Video: Bubba

Photos: Tara Yelland, portrait, Bubba, Jelly, Maximus, Joe's mom, food

Yesterday, I receive an email from my old friend/onset nemesis Tara. She wrote: “o pass the time on set, I’m playing a game called “Blind Portrait”; I approach people on set and ask if they would like their portrait drawn by me–but it has to be done with my eyes closed. I’m quite brilliant at it. I didn’t want you to feel left out, so here is a photo of the one I drew of you. I’ve annotated it for clarity. I’ve also signed it. It’ll be worth a great deal some day. Anyway, your schnitzel stories have been boring me, so I thought this might help spice up your blog. I’m sure your readers will note the resemblance.”

Intrigued, I clicked on the attachment, half-expecting a nasty virus would be instantly uploaded onto my computer. Instead, this is what greeted me (and, possibly, a trojan virus)...

A couple of points.

1. She does a nice job of capturing my soulless eyes and mocking smile. Most photos don’t even do them justice.

2. Why am I bald?

3. My shirts are, of course, not ridiculous but very tasteful. I received many compliments from Damion in the costume department. Of course, sometimes, Damion also wears a kilt to work.

4. Not sure about the collar. Mine are less starchy, much more relaxed to compliment my equally relaxed personality.

5. Maximus is a nice addition and he appreciates being included.

Anyway, I thought it might be fun to turn this blog over to Tara – actress, publicist, and most loquacious stand-in in North America (a 54 year old Belgian holds the European distinction) – by having you grill her. When I told her I wanted her to do a Q&A, she thought I was kidding little realizing that I NEVER KID. She eventually agreed but insisted I overestimated reader interest in her. Silly, no?

Prove her wrong. Post your questions for the lovely (kinda weird) Miss Yelland.

How much does Bubba love doggy daycare? THIS much -

Well, thanks to all the computer experts who weighed in. Holding the power button for 20 seconds did, indeed, force a shutdown – and when my laptop restarted, my dock and desktop icons were restored. Many thanks for your help. And, hey, while I’ve got your attention, my car keeps making this knocking sound...

I am writing this blog entry from sunny (but windy) Montreal. We made the trip in record time, shaving about an hour off the Garmin’s ETA and arriving just in time for lunch...

I finally got the chance to pass along a gift for mom, compliments of blog regular Shirt ‘n ‘Tie. He managed to secure an autographed copy of Circle of Friends signed by mom’s favorite author, Maeve Binchy. It was MUCH appreciated.

@iom666 – Thanks for the invite but I’m only in town for three days, on the West Island, and my schedule is packed with visits to relatives. I return for a lengthier stay at year’s end. Maybe then?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X