Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's not saying he called Bridge, he's saying that he called the Teamsters union.

Because when there are high-level discussions between the executive producer and the new people in charge of the studio that owns a franchise, the very first thing they do is make sure the teamsters would be on board and ready to transport gear.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Has Joe said what new show he's going to be writing for? Terra Nova?
      sigpic
      Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
        He's not saying he called Bridge, he's saying that he called the Teamsters union.

Because when there are high-level discussions between the executive producer and the new people in charge of the studio that owns a franchise, the very first thing they do is make sure the teamsters would be on board and ready to transport gear.
        So if they haven't heard anything, we can assume nothing is on the horizon? Although on secodn thoughts, they wouldn't necessarily even need any location shooting for an SGU project...

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
        He hasn't revealed that info yet, but it looks like it could be a Transporter series.

Comment

Yeah sorry I meant team 155.

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
          Transporter...the series.It's on the GW front page.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/0...ter-tv-series/

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...club-reminder/

February 10, 2011

Photos: Ox-tail braised in a reduction of Cabernet Sauvignon, orange, soy sauce, brown sugar, cipollini onions, and star anise served with a sweet potato mash and hosin-five spice broccoli, Lady of Mazes by Karl Schroeder

While our finalizing and closing our deal has been a long, complicated, and laborious process, this script has been just the opposite. I got another nice little run going again today and hit the 41 page mark. Some fun exchanges, a couple of surprises, and two novel action sequences later, and I’m looking at putting Act III to bed before bed. Major respect for Alex who – over the course of his own long, complicated, and laborious process – came up with some terrific relationships I’m having a hell of a lot of fun exploring, specifically those involving our hero and “his business associate”, our hero and “his buddy on the home front”, and our hero and his “unexpected new friend”. At this rate, I’ll be finished tomorrow and have the entire weekend to tighten and polish. And, oh yeah, get to work on that bible.

Paul, meanwhile, is apparently making good progress on his script as well.

Today, between scripting clever dialogue and spectacular stunts, I also found the time to start the dogs on their new diet and exercise regimen. My porky pug Maximus needs to work on his cardiovascular endurance. Once around the block and he was hacking and wheezing like a pack a day smoker taking the stairs. Bubba and Lulu are decidedly more athletic, conquering their afternoon run and still having enough leftover energy to wrestle each other and harass Max who simply lay down and surrendered. Jelly did more sniffing and standing around than walking but that’s okay because she’s excused. At her current weight of five pounds under the weight limit, she can afford to take it easy.

As for me – I’m back to two-a-days: weights in the morning and cardio at night. As for my diet…well…it’s not exactly Spartan. Unless, of course, the Spartans ate ox-tail braised in a reduction of Cabernet Sauvignon, orange, soy sauce, brown sugar, cipollini onions, and star anise served with a sweet potato mash and hosin-five spice broccoli.

Saturday, I’ll be using a Catena Malbec to slow-cook some veal cheeks I plan on serving with roasted parsnips and balsamic grilled asparagus. I’m admittedly not much of a wine connoisseur, but I do know what makes for a good braising liquid!

A quickie reminder to all you Book of the Month Club participants. Next week, we begin discussion on our February BOTMC pick -

Finish up and start prepping your questions for author (and fellow Canuck) Karl Schroeder!
            sigpic
            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...meals-mailbag/

February 11, 2011

Photos: Goa'uld pain stick, SGU s1 t-shirt, Stargate: Extinction script

Huzzah! As hoped, I completed a first draft of the script today: four acts and a teaser, 53 glorious pages, and oodles of fun! I’m very pleased. This weekend, I’ll do a pass on what I have and then redirect my focus to the series bible. Whenever Paul is done with his script we’ll swap, revise as necessary, then get them out to Rob, Alex, and the rest of the gang for notes. Finally, once their notes have been incorporated, the scripts will be delivered and we’ll spend the following week on pins and needles, impatiently awaiting the verdict. If all goes well and all parties sign off, we should be in Toronto by mid-March spinning stories. Failing that, some other interesting opportunities are suddenly waiting in the wings.

Also this weekend, I should really get around to putting away those boxes I brought back from the office. They’re filled years of Stargate material including Art Department packages, network notes, and more than a few interesting items:

I received a text message from Tom at Refuel the other day. He’d read I was Toronto-bound and suggested I drop by for one final, glorious meal before I leave Vancouver. I’ve had some fantastic meals at Refuel (and its former incarnation, Fuel) and the thought of sitting down to an extra-special dinner has me very excited. Apparently, Chefs Rob and Ted are already throwing ideas around for dishes.

Mailbag:

Randonmness writes: “Did anyone else see this? http://twitter.com/Syfy/status/36112527372845056 Basically Syfy saying if they had the choice, Stargate Universe wouldn’t be a Stargate show.”

Answer: Not sure that was the intention of the response but, if it was, then that’s complete and utter bulls h i t. When Brad and Robert pitched SyFy the idea for Stargate: Universe, the network was VERY excited about the prospect of taking the Stargate brand in a new direction – specifically, a darker and more dramatic direction. It’s not as if Brad and Robert shoved the show down their throats. In fact, quite the opposite. SyFy HEAVILY courted them and made it clear that SGU was the type of show they wanted on their network.

Randomness also writes: “Craig who runs Syfys twitter also mentioned that the channel was contracted for 2 seasons. So regardless of how well or bad Season 1 did, they were obligated to give a new season.”

Answer: Also, as the Japanese would say: “Chotto bulls h i t”. The second season pick-up for the series was conditional on the performance of the first ten episodes of season 1. Those first ten episodes had to hit an agreed-upon average rating for the second season pick-up to kick in. If it had fallen below that threshold, SyFy would have been under no obligation to pick us up.

Bailey writes: “Joe, I am just wondering how things work in show biz with the deals and negotiations and stuff. Do writers let their agents handle almost everything to do with the contract, or do you guys get personally involved with all the finances and detail? Do producers and directors have agents to take care of that kind of thing?”

Answer: We have an agent (actually two – one for the Canadian market and another for the U.S. market) and a lawyer who handle the negotiations and contracts. Of course, they’ll always keep us updated on any developments and apprised of the various offers and counter-offers. Of course, that’s mainly for Paul’s benefit because I just do it for the love of the art.

dixoholster writes: “Maybe its a good time to ask if Cooper really had creative differences with Brad and thats why he left early right?”

Answer: Wrong. Rob left because, after 13+ years of working on the same franchise, he wanted to do something different. And, since leaving, he’s been pretty damn busy doing just that.

Chance writes: “If you are no longer involved with the Stargate franchise who can we go to for our behind the scenes/insider information on all things Stargate?”

Answer: Whenever production starts up again, I’m sure there will be more than enough actors and behind-the-scenes personnel twittering to keep you well-updated on all the latest Stargately developments.

hal ehlrich writes: “If they were to order a 3rd season are you guys willing and able to do it ? Or are you guys wanting to go with your “new plan ” ..”

Answer: It depends who you mean by “you guys”. While I would love to continue work on Stargate, it looks like recent commitments will keep me busy on other projects for some time.

Narelle from Aus writes: “Do your new employers know you come with a bunch of online craz- I mean characters?”

Answer: They do now!

t’loc writes: “I don’t know if joe mentioned this before, but will the production that joe is currently speaking about be shown in the US or is it a canadian only production?”

Answer: Like Stargate, it will be shot in Canada but air all over the world, including the U.S.

avabird writes: “It was a production list from a Teamsters union, and one of the projects listed was a Stargate production. Any enlightenment?”

Answer: That’s a mistake. Wish it were true, but it isn’t.

crazymom1 writes: “What if you get hired by a show I’m not interested in?”

Answer: You may not be interested at first but watch an episode and you’ll be hooked.
              sigpic

Comment

Looks like Joe was right about the "2 season deal":
                http://twitter.com/Syfy/status/36458016815448064
                http://twitter.com/Syfy/status/36458306843181057

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...d-the-mailbag/

February 12, 2011

Photos: Lunch at Refuel

I’m going to miss a lot of things about Vancouver: the weather, the people, the food. In the latter category, I doubt there’s a place I’ll miss more than Refuel, my home away from home over the last twelve years. Today, we swung by for lunch and enjoyed...

Their Salumi Platter comprised of (from left to right): 18 Month Dry Cured Berkshire Ham, Fennel Pollen Salami, Saucisson Sec, Sopressata, and Dry Cured Chorizo.

Slow cooked garlic risotto with Italian parsley and albacore tuna tartare. The reason we came. Akemi had a hankering.

And two of my favorite desserts from the Refuel kitchen: chocolate pot de creme with caramel mousse and peanuts, and warm sugar pie with pear puree and vanilla ice cream.

I did a little shopping and returned home with three interesting ingredients:

For dinner tomorrow, I’ve decided to try my hand at pappardelle with braised veal cheeks and porcini cream. All of the recipes I’ve checked out call for red wine, but I’m going to go with a port reduction (and veal stock) as my braising liquid. Most of the recipes suggest searing the meat first in hot oil, but I think I’ll go a different route, rendering some guanciale (far right) in a cast iron pan and then using the savory fat to brown the cheeks. As for the box in the middle – I spotted it at a specialty shop and decided to pick it up. It is, I believe, one of the hottest sauces on the market, made from the Indian Ghost Chili which boasts a rating of 855 000 units on the Scoville Scale (the scorching habanero, in comparison, comes in at between 350 000 to 580 000 units). Apparently, the Indian government is weaponizing the stuff for use against terrorists. Good to know. Anyway, I sampled the stuff last year when I received a bottle of another sauce made with the same pepper, Dragon’s Blood, from a blog regular. Carl joined me in the taste challenge and I had Lawren record the event for posterity’s sake. Head on over to this entry and scroll down to check out the vid (October 22, 2009: Julia Benson! Jennifer Spence! Birthday Swag! The Weird Food Purchase of the Day!). Note my poker face as I sit back, casual as hell despite the inferno in my mouth, and patiently wait for Carl to pop the chip in his mouth.

Anyway, a couple of Akemi’s friends came by tonight and after a little snack -

Fresh sea urchin on rice -

I decided to break open the bottle (and the fun), but only after removing the yellow CAUTION tape:

For those of you who can’t read the warning on the label, allow me – WARNING: Use this product one drop at a time. Keep away from eyes, pets, and children. Not for people with heart or respiratory problems.

How hot was it? Well, let me put it this way. Seconds after sampling a couple of drops on his rice, my guest, Masa, turned beet red, started coughing, then hiccuping, then had to down a glass of almond milk before staggering out on to the back porch to collect himself. Not beet redness for me, but plenty of hiccuping and some coughing. Probably the hottest thing I’ve ever eaten.

To all those offering requests on alternate publications for the Stargate: Atlantis script, Extinction – alas, I don’t own the rights. They rest with the studio. Ideally, I’d love to see it on screen but, barring that, I’d love to see it go out in script form (rather than, say, a novel, comic book, or radio play). But, as I said, the decision doesn’t rest with me.

With it looking more and more like I may be spending much of 2011 in Toronto, I’ve decided to reprioritize my reading and viewing lists. I’ve got one month to read and watch the books and dvd’s I’d been hoping to leisurely get around to. No time for filler. It’s only the good stuff. Thus, I’ve started on Gail Simone’s Secret Six run, kicking off with Villains United, then following up with the four trade paperbacks. Very much looking forward to it.

Mailbag:

Tenacious D. writes: “Oh, SyFy. You remind me so much of Peter Kavanagh. So busy spinning complete bull**** to cover your own ass, to the point where the writer of your show literally has to berate you like Weir did.”

Answer: Not quite. The first quote - http://twitter.com/Syfy/status/36112527372845056 – can be interpreted two very different ways, and I said as much (“Not sure that was the intention of the response…”). As for the second quote – “In this case we had pre-committed to 2 seasons of SGU before we started airing it.” – it’s unclear, perhaps somewhat inaccurate, given that the two-year commitment was ratings-dependent. What was “Chotto bull****” was the inference (not Craig’s) that “regardless of how well or bad Season 1 did, they were obligated to give a new season.”

majorsal writes: “i’m not an expert on this at all, but if you were very much wanting to stay in vancouver, couldn’t there be a way of doing that, but also still being a writer for this new show?”

Answer: Yes. If I was only a freelance writer for the show, I could just go down for a week and write from Vancouver. In this case, I would be doing more than freelancing.

Les Ferris writes: “Is there any chance we’ll ever get to learn the details of what the SG1 and SGA films where going to be about?”

Answer: See above. I think a nice glossy hardcover exclusive containing the script (with, perhaps, bonus interviews of cast and crew) would sell very well.

Elminster writes: “Ok, turn the page. We’ll have the script read in, what, 54 days?”

Answer: Try 102.

Bryan M. White writes: “Does that fact that you referred to that script as “that script” mean it will never see the green light of a production schedule?”

Answer: Not necessarily but, like I already said, the cancellation of SGU has stymied whatever progress the SGA script had made since MGM’s announcement that it was finally moving forward with other hitherto paused productions.

Guillaume writes: “Joe, do you seriously find it normal that the next season of a show is decided upon the first 10 episodes of a previous season ?”

Answer: I actually do. Given the show’s scheduling, that would be the only way (given the standing method of gathering ratings) of gauging the show’s performance.

Shadow Step writes: “So, will that new show be full of sex?”

Answer: Tons!

DeanGrr writes: “The trilogy “First Strike, Adrift, Lifeline” is an exciting, fast paced story where one crisis builds on another, with the McKay/Sheppard wit thrown in. But, we’re talking about the genocide of a whole race in Season 4 Atlantis, that began with the nuking of Asuras.”

Answer: “Race” would be debatable. Many would argue they were very complex machinery.

DearGrr also writes: “When do royalties become valuable as a writer?”

Answer: Uh, immediately? Royalty pay-outs differ and are dependent on the types of contracts worked under. For instance, Canadian writers (working under WGC contracts) receive an advance chunk of royalty payment as part of a heavy production bonus when their script goes to camera.

asdasdg writes: “Will we be seeing more of Destiny’s underside (your tormenting me by not giving a straight yes or no). Totaly unrelated to Stargate, but have you ever played Zeta Flow? what was your favorite Stargate Episode (other then 200).”

Answer: Can’t recall if we see more of Destiny’s underside. Never played Zeta Flow. As for my fave Stargate episode: August 15, 2010: MY Top 10 Favorite Stargate Episodes

dasNdanger writes: “Joe, I stopped by last night, saw the Extinction script, and got really sad. Sadder than I’ve been since the cancellation of SGAwas announced. I just left. I’m still sad. I think I need a hug.”

Answer: Rally the troops and convince the studio to either publish the script. Once you read it, you’ll be incapable of sadness.
                  sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...njoyed-a-book/

February 13, 2011

Photo: It Must've Been Something I Ate, by Jeffery Steingarten

I read a lot. Between writing, producing, working out, dining out, and spending quality time with the dogs, I make it a point to set aside a couple of hours every night to cozy up with a good book. Well, that’s the intention anyway. Truth is, many of the books I’ve read over the years haven’t been good. They’ve been middling, sometimes above average, occasionally terrible. Every so often, they have been good. Perhaps once every few months, I’ll even be lucky enough to read a very good book. But rare are the instances that I come across a great book. Of course every time I pick up my latest read, I do so in the far-flung hope that I will fall in love with it – but experience has been cruel. Inevitably, my hopes are dashed by weak supporting characters or convenient twists in the narrative, my heart broken by 11th hour contrivances and tidy, anti-climactic resolutions. Yes, rare are the instances when I come across a great book. But, when I do, it’s always wonderfully unexpected, thrilling discovery.

So, what makes a great book? Well, I suppose that’s subjective. All of my great reads differ in many ways, but the two things they have in common are: a) their ability to thoroughly delight and engross me from start to finish, and b) a sense of humor. Prior to this week, I would have offered a third common variable: the fact that they were all works of fiction. But that was before I’d read this...

I mentioned the author, Jeffrey Steingarten, in a recent blog post (January 9, 2011: The Top 10 Food T.V. Personalities I Enjoy Watching!). He’s one of America’s leading food writers, a former attorney turned food critic whose regular column for Vogue Magazine has earned him a plethora of accolades and awards. He’s also a regular at the judge’s table on both Iron Chef America and The Next Iron Chef, and the author of two books: The Man Who I Ate Everything (1998) and It Must’ve Been Something I Ate (2003). I downloaded the latter to my kindle prior to my recent Toronto trip (the first book was annoyingly absent from my online bookstore the last time I checked), figuring it might provide me with an amusing, somewhat informative, in-flight distraction. Instead, it positively coldcocked me with its charm, sincerity, and humor.

I loved this book. I wanted to devour it like a Refuel crispy duck confit platter but, instead, elected to pace myself, luxuriating over each chapter like a box of individually wrapped Amedei Chuao chocolate squares. It Must’ve Been Something I Ate is a collection of some 40+ food-themed essays covering everything from caustic garnishes to haute chocolate, sea urchins to steaks. They’re equal parts entertaining and edifying, but it’s Jeffrey Steingarten himself who, at the heart of each mini-narrative, driving the quest for the perfect pizzza or the ideal espresso, makes this book such a pleasurable read. He’s a character (and what a character!), at turns brilliant, bumbling, brash, and bewildered yet, above all, good-natured and incredibly amiable – the type of guy you’d like to have a beer with, or, preferably, a 12 course Chef’s tasting menu.

Now let me make one thing clear. Yes, this is a book for foodies. But it’s also a book for individuals interested in learning more about the quality of the beef that ends up on their dinner plate (High Steaks), those who’d like to know whether that MSG is to blame for their post-Kung Pao migraine (Why Doesn’t Everybody in China Have a Headache?), and anyone looking for the best chocolate chip cookie recipe out there (Standards and Practices). In Brain Storm, an article in a neurology magazine suggesting food obsession may be symptomatic of brain damage sends an initially amused, then increasingly anxious Steingarten to Zurich in search of answers – and a brain scan. In Salt Chic, he investigates the horrifying professional assertion that “all salt tastes the same”, dealing a painful blow to designer salt enthusiasts and his own devotion to the ultra-rare Oshima Island Blue Label. Chocolate Dreams looks at the recent studies and attempts to answer the burning question: “How good (or bad) is chocolate for us? Really?”, while the sexual mores of lobsters and the most humane way to dispatch of the tasty crustaceans is covered in On a Roll.

If you could have dinner with anyone (dead or alive) who would it be? If I was thrown that old chestnut today, I wouldn’t hesitate to answer: Jeffrey Steingarten. And, after reading this book, chances are good you’ll answer the same.

Mailbag:

Randomness writes: “Wait. what? So somehow I’m being blamed for taking Craig at his word?”

Answer: No, you’re not being blamed and I can see how you could have arrived at those conclusions. I’m simply making it absolutely clear that said conclusions are wholly inaccurate.

don writes: “This sounds like a show that from the start was fundamentally at odds with your stated preferences. Is it possible that your heart was never really in it?”

Answer: Stargate: Universe is a great show and I thoroughly enjoyed working on it – in much the same way I enjoyed working on Atlantis, and SG-1 before it. Sure, there were elements of the shows that didn’t resonate with me as strongly as others (ie. the Ancient storylines which, by the way, were a part of all three series) but I’m sure that’s true for any writer working on a show that didn’t spring wholly from his mind alone.

sci451 writes: “Also Joe I am curious why you and Paul are writing the series bible instead of say Robert Cooper?”

Answer: We have (and will) make different contributions to the project.

Randomness writes: “I like everyone else just want the truth on this issue. What is Brad Wright doing? Do SGU movies actually exist, or are we all being played?”

Answer: Just because you haven’t been made privy to the details of what is going on behind the scenes doesn’t mean the gears aren’t turning. Whether they’ll amount to anything in the end is the big question. And I’m not sure what you’re suggesting at when you say “are we all being played?”. To what purpose? What logical reason would anyone have for holding out hope for a continuation of the SGU story? Rather, it would be much easier and far more convenient to say: “The network cancelled us, thus we’re done for now”.

Quade writes: “Couldn’t the Asurans be a race of complex machinery? I think the problem would be categorizing them as “living”.”

Answer: Exactly. The latter is the issue.

Quade also writes: “What in the hell are you going to do with all your anime collection?”

Answer: Leave it in Vancouver for Ashleigh to watch.

Ben writes: “Speaking of Stargate; how much time has elapsed since the Destiny was boarded by the Earth people?”

Answer: I’d say a little over a year.

Elliott writes: “In the back half of season two, will be see more dynamic space battles?”

Answer: Right off the bat in episode 11, Deliverance.

Roger Hagensen writes: “I think personally I’d rather have/see the cast/writers etc. do a “table read” of the script. And after just go around the table and maybe ask some fan Q’s etc. Release it as a DVD maybe, plus art design stuff not seen before (as a slideshow maybe), maybe with some music that hasn’t been used before or that has rarely been used. Should also be some room for regular interviews with crew as well. And anything else that doesn’t fit the “video” style could just be put on the DVD in a folder that a PC can open. (maybe a PDF or two, some JPG images, maybe a few MP3 tracks of music or soundeffects or ringtones.) The production cost of such a DVD would hardly be expensive at all.”a

Answer: I beg to differ. Those involved, the actors in particular, couldn’t be expected to take part for a nominal fee. And while such a production might be of interest to hardcore fans, casual viewers won’t be rushing to pick up the dvd.

Echelon writes: “The current project you’re working on, do you happen to know what it will air on? Being network, basic cable or pay channel?”

Answer: Stay tuned.

Echelon also writes: “Do you plan on kidnapping Ashleigh and taking her with you?”

Answer: Alas, Ashleigh will be very busy with her own project this year and won’t have time for my antics.

Randomness writes: “Some people are quick to hate on the Syfy channel but honestly speaking, this is the only network that will give Stargate a chance. The way I understand things is if MGM came back to them with a cheaper alternative, then they will air it.”

Answer: Cheaper alternative? What the hell does that mean? A radio play version of season 3?

RFVdevil writes: “Could early ratings in March determine how that plays out, or do you expect SGU’s fate to be ultimately decided by the time it returns to the air?”

Answer: SGU’s fate on the network has already been decided. They canceled the show.

justin1985 writes: “Thought you would enjoy this. http://www.hotsauceworld.com/index.html“

Answer: Great! Thanks for this!
                    sigpic

Comment

Did anyone else notice the faint text on the title page of the Extinction script he posted a couple days ago? I can make out a bit of dialog in it, but no idea if it's the next page faintly showing through or something like that. Looks like a conversation between 2 astronauts.

Comment

I just wonder how many people would follow this blog if they already knew what was happening to Stargate ? Are we all being taken for a ride just to promote what Jm is doing next and maybe the Stargate decision has already been made ?

Comment

Originally posted by iloveteyla View Post
                          I just wonder how many people would follow this blog if they already knew what was happening to Stargate ? Are we all being taken for a ride just to promote what Jm is doing next and maybe the Stargate decision has already been made ?
                          Does it matter?

For somebody like me, who is simply interested in News about SGU it took 1 to 5 minutes to check the blog. That's it. I think his pugs are cute, somehow, and think his restaurant visits are interesting, I see, and read shortly what he's doing in the moment, but it sounds not interesting to me, so what.

Since he is the only person from the "producers/writers team" who tells anything about what might, or might not be the fate of SGU, or SG in general, I don't see any problem. I never felt constrained to see more in his blog, to "promote" it, or play a more active part there, and that's surly not what JM wants from me as a casual visitor. Who think the blog is interesting enough to stay, and comment there, is allowed to do so, who don't want, don't have to.

I really don't understand why so many people feels offended by him for sharing the few informations he has, I surly don't. And does he really earn anything with a few more or less hits on his blog? I don't think so, and, really, I couldn't care less.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iloveteyla View Post
                            Nope, not unless Brad is in on the dastardly plot to get Joe's blog more hits too...

#SGU fans, I heard from Brad Wright this weekend. He said he's still working on satisfying conclusion for #SGU, but no news yet.
                            http://twitter.com/ShowPatrol/status/36937140776468480

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...arl-schroeder/

February 14, 2011

Photo: Lady of Mazes, by Karl Schroeder

In a far, far distant future, Teven Coronal is one of numerous space habitats orbiting a sun. Its inhabitants live within separate manifolds, virtual realities independent both physically and philosophically. One manifold may be a technologically-advanced culture where flying cars abound and individuals are able to project their consciousnesses into artificial constructs, duplicates called animas, while another may be primitive and technologically bereft. All of these societies are generated and maintained by AI’s through neural implants via a technology called inscape. Meanwhile, failsafes called tech-locks ensure technological purity (ie. developmental stagnation in the cases of those primitive manifolds) and that there is no bleed-thru between the the individual VR’s, making for a well-controlled system. But the occasional glitches do occur…

One such glitch proved an almost-transcendent experience for two young people, Livia Kodaly and Aaron Varese. Following the crash of a public transport, only they were able to handle the subsequent exposure to harsh reality, an ability that allowed them to lead many survivors to safety – and that, subsequently, set them apart from their fellow citizens of the Westerhaven manifold. And yet, their brief intimacy with reality those many years back does little to prepare them for more shocking truths when a large-scale disaster strikes, upending their very existence.

The tech locks have been disabled and the barriers between manifolds is breaking down. Livia discovers the source, a mysterious entity known as 3340, but it does little to save Westerhaven. It is attacked, descends into chaos and soon, she is forced to flee. With the entire solar system under threat, she and her allies journey to other coronals in search of answers. What she inevitably ends up with are answers to questions she never even thought to ask, surprises and revelations in the form of entities, cultures, and realities bigger, broader, and deeper than anything she could have imagined within the strict confines of Westerhaven. To say any more would risk spoiling the novel for those who’ve yet to discover its wonders.

Wow! Lady of Mazes was a head-spinner. The world-building is vast, the technology intricate, and the thematic core of the book both challenging and thought-provoking. I’ll admit to being slightly overwhelmed by its first fifty pages. Although the concepts introduced aren’t overly complicated, they do require a fair amount of exposition, resulting in a slow narrative build over those first fifteen chapters or so. The use of exotic terminology lends another confusing element, forcing one to progress at a very deliberate. Easy reading this aint. But highly-rewarding it is because a basic understanding of these worlds, technologies, and philosophies form the launch point to a brilliant exploration of knowledge and existence, the sort of big ideas that shouldn’t be confined to science fiction alone (but, honestly, no other genre does a better job). How does technology benefit our lives and what are the disadvantages of living in a technologically-advanced society? Is happiness always defined by reality or can happiness flourish in a state of artifice and ignorance? Should it? Do absolute truths exist, or are they as fluid and volatile as varied environments and social constructs? We are posed these questions through the experience and enlightened eyes of our protagonist, a woman who ventures beyond the comforts of her constructed reality to examine and understand people and places once beyond her comprehension. And, ultimately, we learn that the search for answers is just as important as the answers themselves.

Lady of Mazes isn’t the type of book I’d recommend to a friend looking for a fun SF summer read. It’s dense and demanding, yet smart, inventive, illuminating, and incredibly satisfying.

So, those are my preliminary thoughts. I’m very interested in hearing what everyone else thought. Let’s hear ‘em! And start posting your questions for author Karl Schroeder!
                              sigpic

Comment

Joe replied on his own blog last night in response to some other comments:

“SGU wasn’t cancelled Joe it just wasn’t renewed for a 3rd season BIG Difference IMO”

If that’s the case, then I assume you’ll have no trouble explaining the difference between a cancelled show and one that “wasn’t renewed”. Be sure to provide examples.
                                and

No, “not renewed” is just a nicer way of saying “cancelled”. Sort of like you don’t say “We’re firing people”. Rather, you say: “We’re downsizing.” Or, instead of “I murdered them.” you might say “I mitigated their existence.”

Comment

Working...
                                X