Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Scalzi continues as consultant, supernatural is out.

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...second-season/

November 18, 2010

Photos: Gift, amazon kindle, lunch

Well, here we are – the last day of main unit principal photography on Stragate: Universe’s second season. And I say again: “Wow! That was fast!”.

I walked into my office to find THIS sitting on my desk...

And check out what was inside...

Cool, no? And perfect for my upcoming trip. So it should come as no surprise that the individual who got me the kindle was none other than my Tokyo travel wingman, and Stargate: Universe Special Features Producer, Ivon Bartok. It was his way of thanking me for getting him the plane ticket – which sounds a lot more impressive than it really was since I used air miles to book both of our flights. His gift is much appreciated and I look forward to the many hours I’ll spend enroute, ignoring him while I read the latest issue of Salmon Monthly.

Also much appreciated – this being our last main unit day and all – is the hard work of our catering crew (led by Steve on mains and Anthea on desserts) who served up a true feast for lunch today.

We watched Carl’s producer’s cut of #218, Epilogue this afternoon. This one gets a 3-hanky alert. You’ve been warned!

Hey, Canadian Stargate fans – make sure to tune in to the post-SGU wrap-up show, Innerspace, this Friday night when the show will be co-hosted by none other than SGU/SGA co-creator/co-show runner/Executive Producer/Writer and Occasional Director Robert C. Cooper. Rumor also has it that he’s in the running to replace Don Cherry on Hockey Night in Canada.

Mailbag:

Gilder writes: “Joe, are you going to check mail at Bridge for a few more weeks?”

Answer: The production office will be open for another two weeks as the producers come in to watch the various cuts and mixes. I believe December 3rd is my last day before my Tokyo trip.

detanfy writes: “1) Is it possible that Destiny and not the Stargates is actually the ancients most important invention?”

Answer: I suppose it’s a matter of opinion.

“2) hows the anime going? Did you finally finish or at least watch Eureka 7? I remember you having some trouble getting into it, besides the slow start it picks up and really is an amazing series”

Answer: Alas, haven’t watched Eureka 7 past the first couple of episodes. Haven’t watched any anime in a while. Thinking of checking out Baccano.

“3) when are we going to see more Destiny specific tech? like the repair drone for example”

Answer: Coming soon…

“4) Is “Ursini” the official name of the Awakening aliens? if so what compelled you to reveal it on here?”

Answer: It is the official name and I was compelled to reveal it here because someone asked me.

“5) is your comic project going to be Marvel/DC or Image?”

Answer: One more guess.

“6) I really enjoy the supporting characters, Brody, Volkner, James, park and co. Please tell me you are keeping them around and they won’t suffer the same fate as Riley
      also will we be seeing more of them? not centric episodes, just more awesomeness in general and learning more about them”

Answer: We all love the supporting characters as well – but no promises as to their respective fates.

“7) Does Destiny have any secrets you aren’t telling us tech-wise, specifically in the weapons department, maybe version 1 drone weapons?”

Answer: In all probability, yes.

Jordan writes: “When you started in the entertainment business, obviously you probably wanted to get any job you could but creatively did you want to work on a certain genre? Like science fiction, or drama, or comedy? I know any job you could get you had to do but did you start writing to work on something specific?”

Answer: I’ve always enjoyed writing humor so, ideally, that’s the type of show I want to end up working on.

Brian M. White: “I just have a quick question: where do you find these locations?”

Answer: This is a question for the lovely Heather who heads up our locations department. This season, she’s been able to find us locations we didn’t even know existed!

Holloway writes: “Last of all as for Ms. Kennair’s remarks doesn’t that simply confirm in part what I was saying last season in that Greer was underdeveloped compared to most (or all) of the main cast?”

Answer: I don’t think so. The same comment could have applied to any of our characters had they received similar back half focus.

Aussuu writes: “So if/when SGU is picked up for a 3rd season do you see it possible to come back to Utah for an episode?”

Answer: It’s certainly possible. Rob Cooper and the cast had a terrific time on their last visit.

melnjohn writes: “Did you know in advance that Ginn would be such a fan favorite? In other words, did you create her to be so well liked, or did Julie Mcniven just come off that good in the character?”

Answer: I’m not surprised because Julie McNiven is a wonderful and very charismatic actress. You can attribute to popularity of Ginn to two things – the character on the page and Julie’s ability to interpret that character in a way that resonates with viewers.

nate writes: “1.) How much time had past between The greater good and Malice? Was it just a few minutes or hours?”

Answer: The action is continuous. Think of it as one, long episode.

“2.) Are there any episodes coming up that reveal new areas of Destiny? You mentioned the dome room being repaired at some point…”

Answer: Yes and yes!

“3.) I may be mistaken, but didn’t you imply in a recent mailbag that Ginn isn’t really dead? Was that just to keep us in suspense or is there more to come from Ginn in the form of a vision for Eli, like Rush and his wife?”

Answer: Did I imply she wasn’t really dead or did I imply we’d see her again? I don’t recall.

“4.) Why has no one thought about going back to the seed ship for Telford, since they can plot a new course and control destiny?”

Answer: Given the circumstances in which they left him and the time and distance that has passed, it would seem unlikely to many that he’d still be there.

“5.) So, is everyone on board with the mission of Destiny now?”

Answer: Sure looks that way.

Paddy writes: “Are we ever gonna get Camille on an offworld mission… every one has to chip in right??!”

Answer: Yes and yes.

Ben42 writes: “Do those bison/velociraptor hybrids have a name?”

Answer: Lenny, Phil, Margie, Loretta, and Maurice – those were the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

PJR writeS: “On the comic project were you given a strict pagination per issue, and so per story (whether told in one issue or across a few)? Hence, the structural breakdown to page-turns and frames per pages, etc.. Oh, and have you sorted an artist yet?”

Answer: We were given a script guide that covered formatting and general structure. We’re operating under the standard 22 page/issue format. The first story arc, which encompasses the potential two-part series premiere, will be comprised of four issues. I’ll be doing one more pass on it tonight, then sending it my editor’s way in the morning. Hopefully, I’ll hear word on potential artists next week.

dioxholster writes: “You said North Americans have similar tastes but clearly not, I think someone had a point when they said SGU feels too Canadian. I think its valid, and it became very apparent with how you guys approached the sex storylines.”

Answer: Sorry, haven’t a clue what you’re talking about. Are you suggesting that Americans are more prudish when it comes to sex on television? Really?

Audrey writes: “So what’s up with Varro lying to Young and co., when he says he knows nothing of the attack on Earth? In Pathogen we see him have a talk with Simeon, and its sorta implied that they all know about it.”

Answer: No, I think it’s pretty clear in that scene that he and other Lucian Alliance members are offering Homeworld Command information while Simeon is offering disinformation. The Alliance, as the name implies, is made up of various factions. Simeon and Ginn belonged to the same faction, the group planning the rumored attack on Earth.

Viv writes: “Most network shows wrap in late March early April for shows that will air in May.”

Answer: And we’re about to wrap up in late November on a show that already started airing in late September. It really depends on the series. Shows like ours, that include significant VFX, will require more lead time.

Viv also writes: “But, your doubt aside, what sort of feedback would cause creative shifting for Season 3, or do you feel that it already is what it is?”

Answer: At the end of every season, we’ll look back and take stock, discuss what worked and what didn’t from a creative standpoint, consider what the fans responded to and what didn’t work for them, receive input from the studio and network, and move forward. Suffice it to say that provided we get that third season pick up, season 3 will see some shocking, monumental developments.
      sigpic
      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        but it could be a message from the future!
        A message traveling backwards in time would be supernatural, wouldn't it?

Sorry peoples, by supernatural, I mean nature outside our known nature. Like outside of our current natural laws, physics, chemistry, math, etc.

Comment

but it could be a message from the future!
          we have the furlings and we want all your cheeseburgers in exchange?
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post

Sorry peoples, by supernatural, I mean nature outside our known nature. Like outside of our current natural laws, physics, chemistry, math, et
            c.
            the one true cylon god ?
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
              the one true cylon god ?
              Sure, that's a possibility, no idea who that is. Gods, or just beings on a different plane of nature, or we could just be a tiny molecule of some higher power being that's playing some higher power sports or something.

Comment

SGU us very BSG-ish as it is...I hope TPTB don't make it even more so...
                as SGU becomes closer to BSG, the quality only increases.

as to the message :

SG has so many methods of going back in time, the message can easily be from the future

Comment

as SGU becomes closer to BSG, the quality only increases.

as to the message :

SG has so many methods of going back in time, the message can easily be from the future
                  As someone who couldn't stand to watch BSG...I disagree. And why would the show want to copy another show? Not enough creative juices left in the series writers? What happened to originality.
                  sigpic

Comment

there's copying and there's inspiration. SGA was copying SG1. SGU is more like inspired by SG1.

Comment

there's copying and there's inspiration. SGA was copying SG1. SGU is more like inspired by SG1.
                      I agree with your statement. However, if SGU becomes even more BGSish...then it goes into the realm of copying.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post

Sorry peoples, by supernatural, I mean nature outside our known nature. Like outside of our current natural laws, physics, chemistry, math, etc.
                        Nope. There's nothing in our current understanding of physics that would prevent sending something back in time. And the message/structure is found in the microwave background radiation, which the big bang pre-dates by about half a million years.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                          Nope. There's nothing in our current understanding of physics that would prevent sending something back in time. And the message/structure is found in the microwave background radiation, which the big bang pre-dates by about half a million years.
                          What in our current understanding of physics support something capable of being sent back in time? I don't know much physics, relativistic physics. If something's capable of traveling back in time, that'd make time circular, right? Can go forward and back. That'd kinda suck though if the message is within the bounds of our natural laws, but I guess the supernatural aspect of it would suck as well if it was handled badly. Eh, who knows.

Wait, the message happened after the big bang?

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ain-unit-wrap/

November 19, 2010

Photos: Cast and crew, Carl Binder, Rick Martin, Ashleigh, Kerry and Jen, Louis Ferreira, pizza, Jamil Walker-Smith

Yesterday was the last day of principal photography on Stargate: Universe’s second season. We marked the event with woodfire pizza, champagne, and, oh yeah, shooting those final scenes.

It’s been a great year and, looking back over the 20 episodes produced for SGU’s second season, I have to say I’m very proud of what we’ve accomplished: great stories, grand arcs, wonderful character moments both big and small, set-ups, pay-offs, and more than a few surprises. As much as I’ve enjoyed working on these episodes, I’ve enjoyed hearing your reactions even more. So, thanks to everyone out there who has supported – and continues to support – the show! You aint seen nuthin’ yet!
                            sigpic

Comment

What in our current understanding of physics support something capable of being sent back in time? I don't know much physics, relativistic physics. If something's capable of traveling back in time, that'd make time circular, right? Can go forward and back. That'd kinda suck though if the message is within the bounds of our natural laws, but I guess the supernatural aspect of it would suck as well if it was handled badly. Eh, who knows.

Wait, the message happened after the big bang?
                              relativity does not rule out timetravel, and Quantum physics doesn't rule out time going in one specific direction

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...d-the-mailbag/

November 20, 2010

Photos: Snow day, dogs, sandwich

Hey, Canadian Stargate: Universe fans! Did you get a chance to watch last night’s post-SGU episode of Innerspace. It featured special guest Robert C. Cooper who fielded a rapidfire barrage of fan questions on everything from directing to the furlings. Ah, the furlings, those mysterious aliens, alternately loved and despised (I suppose it depends on whether you’re a fan or simply working in the Stargate writers’ room). ”When are we going to see the furlings?” was the question. To which Robert replied: “I never get that question.” He then went on to reveal that he is presently working on a furling spin-off series. With a straight face no less. The guy plays a lot of poker. Which is something he’s good at – unlike, say, naming alien races. As a matter of fact, his alien-naming privileges were revoked shortly after he came up with “the furlings”. True story.

Hey, check it out. Snow Day today!

Akemi is thrilled! Me and the dogs…not so much.

So yesterday I was leaving the doggy daycare and rolled up to a tricky intersection. I needed to take a left turn across two lanes of traffic. On my right, all clear. On my left, all clear except for a slow moving van inching up to take a right. I crept up. Right still clear. Left still clear. Tapped the gas. At which point a speeding SUV, perfectly blocked by that creeping van, came streaking up to my left. I happened to catch it from the corner of my eye and hit the brake just in time. It zipped on by and away. Had it been going a little faster, had I not hesitated, I would have certainly been demolished – along with my car. I thanked my lucky stars, took the turn and headed home. Then, some five minutes later, almost had another car merge directly into my driver’s side (for the second time this year: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ag-day-872ish/

But of course that’s not possible because tonight is the SGU season two wrap party. Yes, I’ll drive extra carefully. And, yes, I’ll bring my camera to document the evening. And, finally, yes – I’ll post the pics as part of tomorrow’s blog entry. While you’re waiting, how about a little…

Mailbag:

Aaaargh! writes: “An analogy: if you read in the newspaper that someone got run over by a car you don’t think twice about it (causal viewers). If that person is your best friend, however, you’ll visit the hospital to be at his side every day (true fans). Are you having fun ? Why are you still visiting your friend if you’re not having fun ? Because now he needs you the most, that is what real friendship is all about.

I think this is *the* reason why so many people are angry, you’ve been trusted to take care of our good friend, the Stargate franchise, and you betrayed our trust. Not only did you rape and murder our friend, you’re offended that people don’t thank you for it.”

Answer: Aside from the fact that your analogy is both shallow and offensive, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. A more appropriate analogy would be – after losing your girlfriend to a tragic accident, you decide to start dating her cousin. This cousin reminds you of your ex-girlfriend but, very quickly, you realize that she is not enough like your deceased ex for your liking, so you start pestering her to dress more like her dead cousin, talk more like her dead cousin, and generally behave a lot more like her dead cousin. When she resists, you get angry and begin harassing her incessantly, stalking her online and wishing her dead as well.

Michael White writes: “I hope you read the comments because I had the strongest feeling to share this with you.

http://io9.com/5694701/does-cosmic-b...ig-bang“

Answer: Great article. Thanks for the link.

Ponytail writes: “Joe what’s wrong with you? No patented peace sign and no big grin. I must say, I’m a little disappointed.”

Answer: To be honest, I was holding my patented phony photo smile for what like forever, then relaxed – at which point the picture was snapped.

JYS writes: “also. I went to Meat and Bread on cambie today. Really good porchetta sandwich. they’re closed on sundays, but, i suggest trying it before you head to Tokyo”

Answer: As a matter of fact, I did. And enjoyed the porchetta sandwich. Great minds eat alike...

Johnny writes: “Since there’s no DHD placed along with the respective gates, are we to assume the gates were only meant to be accessed from Destiny alone?”

Answer: That’s a safe assumption.

Elliot writes: “You said that Destiny has a repairing drone. And if they can make it work again, that means they can build back the damaged ship parts?”

Answer: Yep. First up, the dome that will house the new hydroponics lab.

zaghy2zy writes: “I just had to ask, why is Robert Carlyle way at the back not with the rest of the main cast?”

Answer: Despite his celebrity status, Bobby is an incredibly quiet, and humble guy. He passed on front and center for a more casual position amidst the rest of the crew.

PJR writes: “The Comic Project - Thanks for your response. I’d like to ask further: is the script format somewhat along the lines of a TV/film script?”

Answer: No. It’s a very different format that requires some getting used to.

PJR also writes: “- and assuming (dangerous!) that ‘general structure’ you mention refers to plot/arcs, etc and not the script body – I’m wondering more about how through the brief you were given you see similarities and differences to the plotting/breaking/etc you do on a show like SGU, or Atlantis. Quite different animals or more similar, at least in essence, than we’d figure?”

Answer: I was referring to the format specifically. Elements related to plot and story structure remain more or less unchanged. The end of the first issue lines up naturally with the end of the pilot script’s second act, the end of the second issue with the conclusion to the pilot script.

PJR also writes: “Now you’re working both on episodes and comic story planning, I’m wondering how many pages a 45 minute episode might run on the basis of the standard 22 page/issue comic format – much more or pretty much there?”

Answer: It’s really story dependent because the two formats are so different. That said, it’s looking like your average minute script will translate to two 22 page comic book issues.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X