Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    Ugh, can we not start this again? You don't care about his insults? Then don't whine about it.
    Where's the whining?

- Insulting actual people because they dislike a TV show or, more realistically, dislike what the show has become, is classic fanboy behavior.
    - Insulting actual people when they have not directly insulted you looks like you're lashing out blindly.
    - IMO, such behavior is not fitting for a representative of a TV show.

You're free to feel otherwise though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightspore View Post
      I don't think either of these two fans were "picked on." Goodness knows, neither one of them has ever been shy about saying what they feel (over and over) about the show or about Joe; and the comments about Joe have gone far beyond simply stating that he's a poor writer or a poor showrunner or whatever. I think he has the right to throw out a "hey" to them. And the whole thing about them getting indignant as if their constitutional rights of freedom of speech were being taken away from them is so true.
      Precisely where and when did I call JM an 'oxygen waster?" Yes, I have criticized his writing, I once said he made plenty of promises to fans that did not pan out (he seems to take distinct aversion to that remark, but if he wants to go back on his former blogs and remarks on lists, he can find those comments). Saying what we feel 'over and over' again is also part of this list. Person A says something, Person B replies, to which Person A says somthing and then Person C jumps in. It's call 'discussion.' About the freedom of speech stuff, I still have no idea where he got that idea from, but then he does write fiction

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
        Precisely where and when did I call JM an 'oxygen waster?" Yes, I have criticized his writing, I once said he made plenty of promises to fans that did not pan out (he seems to take distinct aversion to that remark, but if he wants to go back on his former blogs and remarks on lists, he can find those comments). Saying what we feel 'over and over' again is also part of this list. Person A says something, Person B replies, to which Person A says somthing and then Person C jumps in. It's call 'discussion.' About the freedom of speech stuff, I still have no idea where he got that idea from, but then he does write fiction

I think the "oxygen waster" phrase was Joe's; I didn't take it to mean he was saying he'd been called that by anyone.

I understand discussions. There are those who engage in discussions and there are those who repeat their points over and over and over to the extent that one doesn't even have to read a post by a prolific poster to know what that person will say (again).

The freedom of speech stuff: As he said, when some person chimes in and asks "If you hate the show so much, why do you bother watching it? Why don't you move on and find another show?" *some* replies get into the 'spiel' about "I have a right to express my opinion even if it is a minority opinion, I have a right to say what I feel, etc." Kind of sounds as if they think the person was trying to deny them their freedom of speech - that's one way of interpreting it. It's not that said person is criticizing or saying something negative, it's that it's repeated over and over and over. At some point, ya gotta just wonder if the person doesn't get tired of listening to themselves talk (or in this case wasting the extra energy/oxygen that it takes to type the same things over and over and over)

Anyhow, that's how I took Joe's comments.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
          Where's the whining?

- Insulting actual people because they dislike a TV show or, more realistically, dislike what the show has become, is classic fanboy behavior.
          - Insulting actual people when they have not directly insulted you looks like you're lashing out blindly.
          - IMO, such behavior is not fitting for a representative of a TV show.
          All I'll say is, and it's what ShadowMaat has said many times, is that, it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

There might not be actual insulting words being thrown around, but the 'tude of certain people here just disgusts me. Joe is going the direct route, why waste breath (or, finger strength) laying out subtle yet extremely cutting remarks, when he can just call them as he sees them?

I see nothing wrong with what he's doing. What goes around, comes around, and that works for both sides, I might add.

Comment

I think the "oxygen waster" phrase was Joe's; I didn't take it to mean he was saying he'd been called that by anyone.

I understand discussions. There are those who engage in discussions and there are those who repeat their points over and over and over to the extent that one doesn't even have to read a post by a prolific poster to know what that person will say (again).

The freedom of speech stuff: As he said, when some person chimes in and asks "If you hate the show so much, why do you bother watching it? Why don't you move on and find another show?" *some* replies get into the 'spiel' about "I have a right to express my opinion even if it is a minority opinion, I have a right to say what I feel, etc." Kind of sounds as if they think the person was trying to deny them their freedom of speech - that's one way of interpreting it. It's not that said person is criticizing or saying something negative, it's that it's repeated over and over and over. At some point, ya gotta just wonder if the person doesn't get tired of listening to themselves talk (or in this case wasting the extra energy/oxygen that it takes to type the same things over and over and over)

Anyhow, that's how I took Joe's comments.
            Ah, wel,l lthen JM needs to take the time and change the names of the people who actually did go about freedom of speech and edit his blog

Comment

Ah, wel,l lthen JM needs to take the time and change the names of the people who actually did go about freedom of speech and edit his blog
              Joe never specifically included you and Shadowmaat in that "small minority" who is concerned about their Constitutional Rights, although I think he should have changed it to God-given rights since the Constitution only provides rights for American citizens.

And, somehow, I think you and Shadowmaat are actually flattered that your opinions/posts would grab the attention of Joe to the extent he would single you out by name to say "hi."

Gotta say, I love the phrase "crayola pastiche."

Comment

Let's just assume for a moment that his is the only thread he's reading... and I have no idea if that's true, but this one does have his name on it.

Just before his comments yesterday there were negative interpretations in this thread about every spoiler that was coming out, eg with expressed certainty that Travelers would suck and be a rip-off, which later became a more tempered certainty that it would just be a rip-off I think based on previous things he's said that those are the things that drive him crazy. That people hate stuff before it's even filmed because they're sure the writer sucks or the idea sucks or the show-runner sucks or whatever... Criticism of a finished episode seems a lot more valid to me than ranting about a 1-sentence teaser. Sure, sometimes I'm disappointed, other times blown away. That goes for any show I've been spoiled for.

And yes, a few (other) fans have defended their rights to stay here and rant ad nauseum based on freedom of speech, which only caused me to exercise my "freedom to press ignore button"

Comment

Joe never specifically included you and Shadowmaat in that "small minority" who is concerned about their Constitutional Rights, although I think he should have changed it to God-given rights since the Constitution only provides rights for American citizens.

And, somehow, I think you and Shadowmaat are actually flattered that your opinions/posts would grab the attention of Joe to the extent he would single you out by name to say "hi."

Gotta say, I love the phrase "crayola pastiche."
                  Heh heh, hey, he did mention us in the same paragraph, plus others were saying 'why single out'... and his style of writing and inference is pretty easy to figure out. However, I'm waiting for mention #3, as this is the second time he's mentioned me on his blog

Comment

As I've said before, I believe that Joe pushing through certain posts, and saying certain things about fandom (and now, I guess certain fans) is nothing more than his own way of amusing himself. Otherwise why do it?

I was going to ask what STFU meant, until I looked it up. Must admit, I haven't used that term either
                    I find the term is implied in a number of the type of posts that JM has sided with.

I worry that SGA isn't going too well with all this spare time he seems to have. Maybe Paul has locked him out of The Bridge.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with what he's doing. What goes around, comes around, and that works for both sides, I might add.
                      That kind of eye for an eye attitude will leave a disenchanted, callous, and hostile fandom come fall. And that fandom will have far fewer numbers when people get fed up with all the infighting and simply leave. Why Joe chooses to add to fandom negativity when both the show and the fandom are currently on wobbly ground is beyond me. Would you poke holes in a ship that's sailing into rough water?

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Comment

That kind of eye for an eye attitude will leave a disenchanted, callous, and hostile fandom come fall. And that fandom will have far fewer numbers when people get fed up with all the infighting and simply leave. Why Joe chooses to add to fandom negativity when both the show and the fandom are currently on wobbly ground is beyond me. Would you poke holes in a ship that's sailing into rough water?

I must repeat that Joe is in no way responsible for the behavior of fandom, unless you believe that on-line fans are nothing more than puppets whose strings are pulled by Joe.

Secondly, if 5,000 people decide to leave on-line fandom, it's not going to make a dent in the ratings unless said fans have Nielsen boxes. There are millions of viewers who watch the show who aren't on-line fans, who don't have a clue what Joe says, who don't have a clue that some fans spend time on-line griping at Joe and each other because of the show/who said what. Those fans are only going to stop watching the show because they no longer enjoy it. It will have nothing to do with what goes on here or on Joe's blog.

Comment

It *is* sad, but amusing in an odd way, for me as well.

Joe can attempt to pitch varous sections of fandom against each other, but it can only work if those people decide to take the bait and play the game. Neither Joe nor PTB are responsible for dividing the fandom, IMO. The fans, themselves did it; no one *forced* them to behave as they have behaved; no one *forced* them to react the way they (some of them) have reacted.

<snip>

Clearly, for whatever reasons, Joe likes to play this game with on-line fans. And some fans clearly like to play the game as well, since they engage in conversation with him.

Ignore him and he might go away.
                          Unfortunately, he knows full well pitching sections of fandom against each other works. It has since a few years ago, and he took part in that as well.
                          No-one forces the fans to react that way, but no one forces him to fan the flames. In all honesty, I have to ask what doing so achieves? Because seriously, not all publicity is good publicity.

There's no point bemoaning the state of fandom if he himself is such an active participant in it. In the end he'll get the fandom he deserves.
                          With the ratings as they are, I think this is not a good time to gamble on no fandom at all.
                          Last edited by smurf; 22 April 2007, 03:42 PM.

Comment

As Nightspore has said, Joe's "insults" are about as important to fandom infighting as a soldier throwing a rock at an enemy chipmunk.

We are talking about one person folks. The fact that he himself by the power of only a few words rile up fans in such a manner means that either 1). certain Stargate fans are extremely easy to offend, 2). People believe that his words are somehow more important than, say mine (and I've complained about fandom many MANY more times with much MUCH more vigor, believe me), 3). Uh...I'll come up with something later.

Either way, from where I stand, the fan's reactions to his comments are doing nothing than make us look like pathetic, purile children who gets red faced at the simplest words. This is his personal blog, and if you get infuriated by it, don't read it; I will continue to post updates (along with prion), and if you don't like those, don't read it. Really, it's that old gem all over again.

And if you can't help but read it for some twisted reason, then, well, you only got your ownself to blame I supposed. A troll is nothing without those who take the bait, after all.

Not saying Joe's a troll...he's more classy than that.

Comment

http://www.josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/

Chocola-er...April 22

Photos: Gee, take a guess? There is about a gazillion pics of chocolates of all sorts; dark, white, in-between, green, red, blue, cakes, nutty ones, sprinkled ones...yeah, you get the picture.

Also present are pics of several guests, including Ivon Bartok, Carl Binder, Martin Gero, David Hewlett, N John Smith, Andy Mikita, Aaron Abrams (aka. Kanayo from "The Lost Boys" and "The Hive"), and a lot of other people that I don't know about.

I love this one: Feel the Tension...

Write-Up: My God...I can't believe how many chocolates there were...I just...wow. Read it at your own risk, but suffice it to say, it's all about the chocolate party.

Questions:

None today, sorry.

Comment

We are talking about one person folks. The fact that he himself by the power of only a few words rile up fans in such a manner means that either 1). certain Stargate fans are extremely easy to offend, 2). People believe that his words are somehow more important than, say mine (and I've complained about fandom many MANY more times with much MUCH more vigor, believe me), 3). Uh...I'll come up with something later.

Either way, from where I stand, the fan's reactions to his comments are doing nothing than make us look like pathetic, purile children who gets red faced at the simplest words. This is his personal blog, and if you get infuriated by it, don't read it; I will continue to post updates (along with prion), and if you don't like those, don't read it. Really, it's that old gem all over again.

And if you can't help but read it for some twisted reason, then, well, you only got your ownself to blame I supposed. A troll is nothing without those who take the bait, after all.

Not saying Joe's a troll...he's more classy than that.
                                Er, cough cough. Anyway, yes, as in any given fandom, when a producer comes online to drop tidbits, fans do pay attention. Some fans might go the extra mile and just beg for more, and there you'll get the rare few who well, practically worship that person's feet (seen it happen in fandom after fandom). To the producer, we're just the fans. When the show ends, that's it. He/she moves on and we're forgotten.

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                                Unfortunately, he knows full well pitching sections of fandom against each other works. It has since a few years ago, and he took part in that as well.
                                No-one forces the fans to react that way, but no one forces him to fan the flames. In all honesty, I have to ask what doing so achieves? Because seriously, not all publicity is good publicity.

There's no point bemoaning the state of fandom if he himself is such an active participant in it. In the end he'll get the fandom he deserves.
                                With the ratings as they are, I think this is not a good time to gamble on no fandom at all.
                                If anything, the producers of SGA/SG1 movies should push for a unified fandom. In other words, yes, some fans are going to be contentious. Baiting them doesn't help. It doesn't help the show. However, since most of us fen here don't have Neilsen boxes, perhaps it doesn't matter.

Like I said, I think this is his hobby, toying/baiting/whatever the fans

Oh hey, new PLANET EARTH episode. Time to go!

Comment

Working...
                                X