Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, before things get too riled up in here please keep in mind that while Joe can say whatever he wants on his blog, there won't be any name calling or derogative statements allowed here, of Joe, or anyone else.

I am however surprised and a little disappointed in Joe that he would resort to picking on specific forum members in a place where he has all the power and they won't necessarily get to respond. But, life's not fair, and if the showrunner for a show wants to single out and denigrate specific individual members of his shows fandom then that's his choice...

The rest of my thoughts regarding the whole entry are perhaps best not expressed on this forum, as I would be forced to moderate myself

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater View Post
      I am however surprised and a little disappointed in Joe that he would resort to picking on specific forum members in a place where he has all the power and they won't necessarily get to respond. But, life's not fair, and if the showrunner for a show wants to single out and denigrate specific individual members of his shows fandom then that's his choice...
      It's perfectly fine, considering the comments that get aimed at him. If people want to flame someone, they have no right to cry when they get counter-flamed. Not that I'm saying anyone has been crying over his latest comment. At least that I've seen.

Comment

Jeez, I'm getting so tired of this public flame war (of both sides obviously).
        In the beginning it was quite amusing I must admit, but well...not anymore.

He has it in his hands to stop it by not feeding the other side with more of those opinions. But now...fresh support for the other side...way too much of it.

*sigh*

*flowers for everyone*

That's all folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
          It's perfectly fine, considering the comments that get aimed at him. If people want to flame someone, they have no right to cry when they get counter-flamed.
          Have either of the two individuals in question called Joe M. the equivalent of an "oxygen waster"? Because it seems like he's singling out and personally attacking people who are attacking a TV show, not him directly. Too many people can't differentiate between the two.

Comment

I don't recall ever personally degrading Joe, but if he wants to sink to levels lower than prion or I go and attempt to make it grossly personal, that's fine by me. It gives us the moral high ground. Although I do think prion and I deserve special badges or something.

Comment

It's amusing in a sad sort of way.
              It's his blog and he can do what he likes, but since he's also using it as a show promotion/fan interaction tool he should probably treat it with a little more circumspect. I can't see how pitching various sections of fandom against each other is in any way useful, because you'll just piss them off and end up with half a dozen nodding dogs who agree with everything you say.
              Picking on individual fans doesn't look clever when, at the end of the day, it is his show (Moneymen demands not withstanding), and they don't have the power to make a difference unless he lets them. I don't know, it seems to show a certain amount of fear/discomfort in what he's actually producing (because the truth hurts?) - in the same way as not being able to have discussions with people because their only reply is to tell you to STFU for disagreeing even mildly.

Unless they do have the power...
              I wonder if they take direct requests.
              Last edited by smurf; 22 April 2007, 06:20 AM.

Comment

I think he's just mad because all the positive stuff I have to say about the show is about other people.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                  Although I do think prion and I deserve special badges or something.
                  It could say "Hi, my name is xxx and I've been singled out by a PTB!" with a tiny "And not in a good way either" clarification at the bottom.

Or how about "I was featured on Joe's blog!!"

Or maybe just "TPTB love me"

Comment

Hmm... how about a custom user title: TPTB's punching bag.

Comment

"Blame me for falling ratings!!"

Comment

How 'bout "Professional cynic... and oxygen-waster"

Meh, Joe can be as petty as he likes, it's not going to change how I behave. That little "pop" you heard, though, was the last iota of respect I had for Joe evaporating. 'Tis a pity, I used to like him a lot back in the good ol' days and while I'm thoroughly disgusted with how things have turned out, I still maintained that one little niggle of past appreciation. I guess that was the REAL waste.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                          I think he's just mad because all the positive stuff I have to say about the show is about other people.
                          So, no request list then?
                          Dang.
                          Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                          It could say "Hi, my name is xxx and I've been singled out by a PTB!" with a tiny "And not in a good way either" clarification at the bottom.

Or how about "I was featured on Joe's blog!!"

Or maybe just "TPTB love me"
                          How about "Blame me, it's easier."

Comment

Ugh, can we not start this again? You don't care about his insults? Then don't whine about it.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                              http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/index.html

Rebecca writes: “Don't you ever get tired of all the negativity in SG fandom?”

Answer: Not really. Fans are entitled to their opinions and its always nice to see they are passionate about the show. The fact that they take the time to comment and critique is what makes them fans. For the most part. There are, of course, a very small minority that I would hesitate to call fans at all, simply because they little more than unhappy, bitter complainers who never have anything positive to say about Stargate and yet, from what I can tell, spend the better part of their days posting ad nauseum about all of the things they hate about the show. It’s a little sad and I wonder if perhaps it isn’t a symptom of some deeper-seeded issue (I don’t know, maybe their mommies didn’t love them enough when they were kids). Inevitably, fans who must put up with their terminal grousing pose the obvious question: “If you hate the show so much, then why bother watching and complaining?” Naturally, this elicits indignant outrage from the gripers who assert they have every write to complain if they want to, citing the first amendment as if they were some political prisoner being denied their basic human right. Seriously, any three year old can vomit up a crayola pastiche and call it free speech, and said output wouldn’t be all that different from the pointless, occasionally amusing, usually just plain sad “opinions” of this minority of oxygen-wasters. By the way, if you swing by the Gateworld forums, say hi to Shadowmaat and Prion for me.
                              Snort. I guess this shows how much I really pay attention to what JM writes as I didn't even notice that he said that. However, if Joe actually read all the threads on all the boards, instead, of say, the ones pointed out by certain fans (hey, sorry, but he actually said on his blog that he doesn't surf the boards but will venture over "if someone gives me the heads up that there's some interesting reading," cough cough), he'd see that I don't sit around and say every single episode sucks. Heck, if I thought both shows sucked, I wouldn't watch them. I think FRIENDS suck and I don't watch that nor do I go to any boards on that, if they even exist. I've been on this board for years and have had positive things to say, but if I think soemthing sucks, I'm not going to lie and go 'oh, that was wonderful.' Sure, there are some fans who think every single word of dialogue, every episode, is gold, and that's fine if that's what they want, but in a forum like this, yes *gasp* free speech and all, fans are allowed to disagree. However, hmm, no, I never called him an 'oxygen waster,' (don't believe Shadowmaat said that either) so he needs to get his facts straight. Unless he's just lobbing insults and then he should get the terminologycorrect; you can't waste oxygen if you type. It's only when you talk And I didn't cite the First Amendment (which by the way is all caps, Joe) at least not that I can recall. If Joe wants to insult fans, he should read all their posts. But, his remarks in the post above now answers some questions on other boards about why the psychologists and psychiatrists on the SG shows are so gawdawful Pop psychology at its worst.

Originally posted by Michelle05 View Post
                              Well, no offense to Prion (who does a heck of a lot of work for fandom!) but I do join Joe in wondering why people pour so much energy into writing about something they don't/no longer/are sure they won't like... Personally if I ever get to that point I'll be off reading fan fic until I find a new show to love.
                              Never said I didn't like it entirely. Some aspects I love, otherwise I wouldn't bother with the show. However, there are plot flaws, errors, recopied scripts, and if I or any other fan points them out, well, they exist. If I didn't care about the show, I either wouldn't botehr watching, or I'd watch, go 'eh, that was good, that was bad' and simply turn off the TV like millions of other people. TV viewers of all kinds criticize shows. Heck, don't get medical people started on any medical show, from ER to HOUSE. With Stargate, it's science FICTION so we can excuse *some* mistakes....

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                              Have either of the two individuals in question called Joe M. the equivalent of an "oxygen waster"? Because it seems like he's singling out and personally attacking people who are attacking a TV show, not him directly. Too many people can't differentiate between the two.
                              Aw, come on, we spell our monikers differently! But, seeing as how JM said he doesn't visit the boards much himself due to lack of time (consumed by doing the shows and consuming food), I would say perhaps it's not so much him doing the singling out as fellow fans on this board who point out threads they don't particularly like ("Joe! Joe! You must read this! It's awful!"). Who knows? However, he could also choose to just go 'eh, I don't care."

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                              It's his blog and he can do what he likes, but since he's also using it as a show promotion/fan interaction tool he should probably treat it with a little more circumspect. I can't see how pitching various sections of fandom against each other is in any way useful, because you'll just piss them off and end up with half a dozen nodding dogs who agree with everything you say.
                              Picking on individual fans doesn't look clever when, at the end of the day, it is his show (Moneymen demands not withstanding), and they don't have the power to make a difference unless he lets them. I don't know, it seems to show a certain amount of fear/discomfort in what he's actually producing (because the truth hurts?) - in the same way as not being able to have discussions with people because their only reply is to tell you to STFU for disagreeing even mildly.

As I've said before, I believe that Joe pushing through certain posts, and saying certain things about fandom (and now, I guess certain fans) is nothing more than his own way of amusing himself. Otherwise why do it?

I was going to ask what STFU meant, until I looked it up. Must admit, I haven't used that term either

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post

It *is* sad, but amusing in an odd way, for me as well.

Joe can attempt to pitch varous sections of fandom against each other, but it can only work if those people decide to take the bait and play the game. Neither Joe nor PTB are responsible for dividing the fandom, IMO. The fans, themselves did it; no one *forced* them to behave as they have behaved; no one *forced* them to react the way they (some of them) have reacted.

I find the exchanges on his blog amusing, but I don't take them seriously. I don't really care what he says; I don't think he or PTB "owe" any fans any answers about any of their decisions. The proof of the pudding for me, is the final product - the actual episode. I'm either going to like it or dislike it regardless of what Joe has to say about why they did or didn't do some such thing; why a decision was made a specific way.

I don't think either of these two fans were "picked on." Goodness knows, neither one of them has ever been shy about saying what they feel (over and over) about the show or about Joe; and the comments about Joe have gone far beyond simply stating that he's a poor writer or a poor showrunner or whatever. I think he has the right to throw out a "hey" to them. And the whole thing about them getting indignant as if their constitutional rights of freedom of speech were being taken away from them is so true.

Clearly, for whatever reasons, Joe likes to play this game with on-line fans. And some fans clearly like to play the game as well, since they engage in conversation with him.

Ignore him and he might go away.

Comment

Working...
                                X