Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/

April 18

Photos: Right now...a bunch of x's. Hopefully Joe will realize that soon and re-upload whatever it is he wanted to upload (he didn't give a description).

ETA: The pics are up! Involved is a look at an art department meeting, with many shots of the crew working on and discussing "Reunion", including an "Art Department Package" for the episode with a 300-esque pic on the front of it; veeery interesting. Also included are some pics of the chocolate shipment, a grinning Martin Gero with a special "Stargate watch" with real working iris! And finally, some concept drawings promised to Ooooober () of some Wraith-y constructs. Hmmm...

Spoiler:
    Looks like we're going on a Wraith ship again; read the "caption" on one of the concept art pics

Write Up: Looks like another schedule of Joe's day, similar to the entry posted on the day of the SCB protest. Among it: no Paris, lightheadedness, more chocolate (for cryin' out loud Joe...), this bit about "Reunion":

9:00 a.m.: While Paul is sequestered in his office doing a pass on Seer, I’m in the conference room for the Reunion concept meeting. 1st AD Gordie Mac runs us through the script while director Will Warring presides. As things move along, Bam Bam, our stunt coordinator, grows increasingly anxious about the casting as he has fight scenes to choreograph. Producer John Lenic informs us that all is good because Mark Dacascos has signed on to play the role of Tyre. Mark was terrific in Brotherhood of the Wolf (and his stint as the host of Iron Chef America - hmmm, wonder if he can get me on as a guest judge), and is apparently a very, very sweet guy according to Bam Bam who worked with him on The Crow. When the meeting eventually wraps up, Executive Producer John Smith sounds the alarm: “This episode is going to be big!”.

10:30 a.m.: Art Department meeting with Production Designer James Robbins, Supervising Art Director Tom Wells, and Art Director Melanie Cassidy. We discuss transporters, force fields, and cocoons.

11:15 p.m.: Costume Designer Val Halverson and Assistant Costume Designer Coreen Heaver come in for the costume meeting. We discuss BDU’s, dress blues, and broken down dusters. Apparently, Jason is quite the clotheshorse, always coming by with new ideas and purchases for his Ronon character. The latest is a pair of “battle pants” he’d like to sport in the sparring scene. Sure, why not.

1:30 p.m.: Props meeting with Prop Master Evil Kenny Gibbs (Just plain Evil for short). We discuss stunners, P-90’s, and tablets.
    And a short, yet forboding bit about "This Mortal Coil":

4:30 p.m.: James and Tom pop in for an impromptu meeting with Paul and I, looking ahead to possible builds for the next few episodes. No major construction for The Seer, but we will marry some of the exterior scenes from this episode to the This Mortal Coil shoot. James and Tom also pitch out how they’d like to pull off the “horrific reveal” at script’s end. I love it!
    Questions:

UberAmandaFan writes: “Will you be able to post any more concept art in the near or not so near future? Ships, technology, weapons, cities, costumes...whatever. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.”

Answer: Just for you. Check it out. [PG's note: Ok, HERE's the description.]

Vaberella writes: “What do you mean by the comment in bold? That it will actually air in July (as per usual)?”

Answer: No. That fans won’t have to wait another six months to see new episodes.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos writes: “ Will we see Col. Caldwell in Season 4? Do you watch Scrubs?”

Answer: Yes and I watched the first four seasons on DVD.

My Name is Scott writes: “1) Has any PTB postulated the idea of a Stargate expanded universe, much like Star Wars does? 2) Are you familiar with Star Trek: The Experience? If there were a Stargate: The Experience, I'd forego establishing a family and devote my life to it's awesomeness.

Answers: 1) We’ve never really considered expanding the Stargate canon beyond the television series (and now the SG-1 movies) simply because we don’t want to have our hands tied creatively by decisions made outside of our sphere of influence. 2) There is (or will be) a similar experience in Germany.

Anonymous #1 writes: “Your position seems to be that if Atlantis can pull 1.4's and the like after having the episodes be dessminated in many other media before airing on Scifi, then surely episodes that air first on Scifi must logically garner a higher rating. That's a false assumption. In fact, it seems to be contradicted by the ratings for the first halves of SG-1 and Atlantis. When Scifi was the only place to see SG-1 and Atlantis, the ratings were in the same ballpark they are now.”

Answer: Whatever the reasons for the slow start to both seasons (and, believe me, I can offer up a few), both shows rallied as the season progressed and did uptick prior to the six month hiatus that effectively cooled their momentum. With the back halves finally airing, we’re starting from scratch, and from an arguably even more difficult position (again the previous airings, the overall accessibility of the shows) yet still managed to put up some of the best series numbers on the network. Rather than trending backward (comparing this past week’s numbers to last year’s first half numbers and attempting to track a potential progression in reverse), I think it makes more sense to trend forward (comparing last year’s numbers with last week’s more hardwon numbers and looking ahead).

Anonymous #1 also writes: “Unless perhaps the prevalent belief is that the ratings for SG-1's and Atlantis' first halves were aberations? Sorry, but the ratings for Scifi's other shows don't really support that idea either.”

Answer: The suggestion being that the Stargates have seen a drop in ratings relative to other programming. If this is the case, then I would also argue that it is unfair to single out one show in particular and expect it to deliver performance numbers far and above the waning consensus.

Anonymous #1 also writes: “As to the point about repeats, you're right. SG-1 has obviously been a strong performer in repeats. But I'm not sure if that translates over to Atlantis or not. I don't have any ratings data on those to work from, but I do know that when Scifi attempted to replace SG-1 with Atlantis on Monday nights last year, it was a one week phenomenon that was quickly reversed. Yes, a 100 episode syndication package is inherently stronger than one for 80 episodes, but is there really that much to be gained from a show that is admittedly expensive to produce?””

Answer: Of course one could argue that a veritable library of some 110 episodes (five seasons worth when Stargate made the move to SciFi) would be in a better position to command stronger numbers than a 40 episode offering. Also, science fiction is expensive to produce (relatively speaking as many of the “less-expensive” comedies and procedurals actually end up costing much more when one factors in variables such as salaries, money that doesn’t show up “on screen” like, for instance, the money a scifi series will spend on visual effects) yet performs exceptionally well in syndication.

Anonymous #1 also writes: “Will the new content be that much more valuable than a rerun of an old episode?”

Again, as I stated in my previous post, the new content serves a dual purpose, hopefully garnering a strong first-run audience but also bolstering the repeats.

Anonymous #1 also writes: “As far as SG-1's ratings climb goes, I think we both know just how unique of a property SG-1 was. After reaching a relatively small market on Showtime for five years, it was much more broadly shown on Scifi. It logically increased its viewer base as a result, and it continued to grow for a long time.”

Answer: I don’t know if you can label Stargate’s performance on SciFi over the past few years as logical. In fact, I would argue that it’s performance has been downright atypical of almost every show out there.

Finally, Anonymous #1 writes: “ I think that growth is accounted for by Scifi's increased availability, and because seasons six, seven, and eight were some fantastic television. Atlantis can't duplicate the circumstances that led to SG-1's success.”

Answer: I disagree and would argue that the show continues to command a loyal and impressive following in spite of the obstacles it has faced. And, like SG-1’s sixth, seventh, and eighth seasons, Atlantis’s fourth season (and hopefully fifth and sixth) will prove equally fantastic television.

Mel writes: “Which of the writers determined Sheppard would take "War and Peace" with him to Atlantis to read?”

Answer: I did way back in season one. Don’t remember the episode though. It may have been Home.

Jason writes: “I was wonder your opinion of this article about the SciFi tag backlash.”

Answer: Personally, I find it a little silly. I mean, seriously - who are they kidding?

Anonymous #2 writes: “So, is it in any way possible that we'll be getting maybe a little Jack O'neill in Ark of Truth?”

Answer: Sorry.

Anonymous #3 writes: “When there are lots and lots of scenes that can be edited out why edit out a scene that is really important to the events of the previous episode?”

Answer: Story logic takes priority when deciding what to cut. The episode was very long and we realized that we could actually lose the beginning and start the episode later without effecting the story of this particular episode.

Anonymous #5 writes: “Can you tell us how many more episodes the new group of Humans introduced in "Travelers" will appear in Season 4? After filming Travelers, do you think your casting of Jill Wagner as Larrin was a good choice?”

Answer: Jill is great as Larrin. Her group will put in at least one reappearance in the back of season four.
    Last edited by PG15; 18 April 2007, 11:13 PM.

Comment

I was surprised to find that he responded to me the first time I ever posted on his blog. I'm "My Name is Scott".

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
        You mean Darren's writing an article, right, not a story? Well, I honestly didn't pay attention to all the NOAS threads (who has time? <G>). However, the only spoiler so far is that juicy one posted by a mysterious fan. I'd like to think there's truth to it -as the fan who dumped the spoilers about Carson was right on the mark! - but I hope that the predicament teh team encounters isn't something they just shrug off, which has more often been the case (that 'soft reset' the SGs are often guilty of).

I'm not pessimistic, just realistic , even if JM did say "the full-contact extreme Shep whumpage in this one".
        Ah Prion, don't be a party pooper and burst the whumpers bubble. Burst this instead, it'll make you AND us feel so much better virtual bubble wrap And if I may just let out a lil squee at the full-contact extreme whump

*tries to contain her excitement and fails miserably*

To be honest there really was no need for JM to say that at all. I didn't think there were that many whumpers... I could be completely wrong, would be a first time! So anyway, in my little fantasy world, I think we will get full-contact extreme whump. (I hope full-contact doesn't mean that, I mean the hair just can never get whumped)

I don't know what he he would have to gain by saying that lil gem, so i'll just stay in my lil bubble and think nice whumpy thoughts until it airs thanks very much

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
        http://www.josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/

April 18

Photos: Right now...a bunch of x's. Hopefully Joe will realize that soon and re-upload whatever it is he wanted to upload (he didn't give a description).
        I thought it was just me, and that I was going cross eyed.. glad it's not. Thanks hon.

Comment

No problem.

Oh, and the pics are up now, it appears. Looking pretty good.

I'm going to update my entry for today then...

Comment

Look at the first picture! 10 chevron and SG-1 symbols on an Pegasus stargate?! They are the art department! Bah. I thought they won't make such stupid mistakes after the 8 chevron stargates (Inferno, Midway Station). But the Wraith corridors are cool.
            Last edited by Platschu; 19 April 2007, 01:06 AM.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

You mean Darren's writing an article, right, not a story? Well, I honestly didn't pay attention to all the NOAS threads (who has time? <G>). However, the only spoiler so far is that juicy one posted by a mysterious fan. I'd like to think there's truth to it -as the fan who dumped the spoilers about Carson was right on the mark! - but I hope that the predicament teh team encounters isn't something they just shrug off, which has more often been the case (that 'soft reset' the SGs are often guilty of).

I'm not pessimistic, just realistic , even if JM did say "the full-contact extreme Shep whumpage in this one".
              I said story, and then article, Prion. Let's not bandy semantics, eh?

Sorry, I'm positive about DG. Don't care if there's not much whump or whatever. It just sounds entertaining and fun to me. So, I think I'll take some of Peg's bubble wrap please! Prion, a party pooper? Surely not!!!!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                No problem.

Oh, and the pics are up now, it appears. Looking pretty good.

I'm going to update my entry for today then...
                Thanks for that!

I thought it was just my comp not being nice this morning, but the piccies are working ok for me now!!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                  I said story, and then article, Prion. Let's not bandy semantics, eh?

Two different things, that's all I'm saying

Sorry, I'm positive about DG. Don't care if there's not much whump or whatever. It just sounds entertaining and fun to me. So, I think I'll take some of Peg's bubble wrap please! Prion, a party pooper? Surely not!!!!
                  Wait, wait, you're a whumper and don't care about much whump?! I know I'm off coffee but my eyes can't believe you said that ! No, not a party poooper. I've just been reading spoilers in SG fandom since they came out and have learned not to get too excited over anything, heck, even if I had the script in hand I wouldn't get too excited as they often edit out good stuff on TV shows in favor of action sequences (well, we don't have car chases in scifi, but there are space ship fights) <G>

However, now we know where the 'different side' of Shep might be coming from, and potentially dark. However, I wonder if the writers will just 'reset' everything at the end like nothing happened... I'd rather than they didn't.

Comment

Ah, yes, the piccies are up this morning!

Boy, that watch looks ... big. I get the feeling if I ever got one, it would slide right off my wrist. Hm, I could wear if I ace-bandaged my wrist first

The REUNION script cover looks very famliar, but can't place the artwork... ah sorta reminds of old Frank Frazetta images.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus_SGA View Post
                      Ah Prion, don't be a party pooper and burst the whumpers bubble. Burst this instead, it'll make you AND us feel so much better virtual bubble wrap And if I may just let out a lil squee at the full-contact extreme whump

*tries to contain her excitement and fails miserably*

To be honest there really was no need for JM to say that at all. I didn't think there were that many whumpers... I could be completely wrong, would be a first time! So anyway, in my little fantasy world, I think we will get full-contact extreme whump. (I hope full-contact doesn't mean that, I mean the hair just can never get whumped)

I don't know what he he would have to gain by saying that lil gem, so i'll just stay in my lil bubble and think nice whumpy thoughts until it airs thanks very much

I thought it was just me, and that I was going cross eyed.. glad it's not. Thanks hon.
                      Heh, I've just read countless blog reports from TPTB over the years, so am using experience. I'd love to hear JM's definition of whump - I mean, does he ever go to the whump thread to see what whumpers want? That's why I'm just so-so over the comments. I'd love to see some good Shep whump - and not just in a dream state - but in the real time, otherwise it feels like you're in a holodeck and nothing really happened

Oh yes, there are lots of whumpers out there Heck, I'm one but like I said, I'm waiting for the finished product before I squee.

Comment

Wait, wait, you're a whumper and don't care about much whump?! I know I'm off coffee but my eyes can't believe you said that ! No, not a party poooper. I've just been reading spoilers in SG fandom since they came out and have learned not to get too excited over anything, heck, even if I had the script in hand I wouldn't get too excited as they often edit out good stuff on TV shows in favor of action sequences (well, we don't have car chases in scifi, but there are space ship fights) <G>

However, now we know where the 'different side' of Shep might be coming from, and potentially dark. However, I wonder if the writers will just 'reset' everything at the end like nothing happened... I'd rather than they didn't.
                        Oh, don't get me wrong, I adore whump, but it's not everything to me. I love being entertained first and foremost, and I know I'll never get the whump I'd like to see! It just sounds such a good episode to me, and JM said on the blog that he thought it'd be a fan favourite, so that sounds exciting to me!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Heh, I've just read countless blog reports from TPTB over the years, so am using experience. I'd love to hear JM's definition of whump - I mean, does he ever go to the whump thread to see what whumpers want? That's why I'm just so-so over the comments. I'd love to see some good Shep whump - and not just in a dream state - but in the real time, otherwise it feels like you're in a holodeck and nothing really happened

Oh yes, there are lots of whumpers out there Heck, I'm one but like I said, I'm waiting for the finished product before I squee.
                          I don't know what his definition of whump is either, but given his time on SG1 and now Atlantis i'd think he'd have a fairly good idea, don't you? As for him coming to the whump thread we'd probably scare him off As for him knowing what we want, of course he does because we post on his blog often enough and we're not shy about saying who we are and what we'd like, although some of us are cheekier than others To be honest i'd love nothing more than Evil Shep, and have been asking for it since about February so whatever I get suits me down to the ground, even if it's only a smidgeon..heck who am I kidding, I want it all

Comment

Well I like to get excited about spoilers!! If I wasnt going to have fun and enjoy speculating over spoilers then I wouldnt waste any of my very precious time hunting them out and discussing them online!!! Finding out a spoiler just to then poo poo it - seems pointless and no fun at all!

At the end of the day - if DG doesnt match up to what I have imagined- I am sure that I will find something to love about it ( there are very few eps that I have not enjoyed) and will have had the best time with all my GW mates coming up with various fun scenarios along the way!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheppard's Delight View Post
                              Well I like to get excited about spoilers!! If I wasnt going to have fun and enjoy speculating over spoilers then I wouldnt waste any of my very precious time hunting them out and discussing them online!!! Finding out a spoiler just to then poo poo it - seems pointless and no fun at all!

At the end of the day - if DG doesnt match up to what I have imagined- I am sure that I will find something to love about it ( there are very few eps that I have not enjoyed) and will have had the best time with all my GW mates coming up with various fun scenarios along the way!!
                              Ditto!!!!

I love the spoilers we get from Joe's blog and GW!!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sheppard's Delight View Post

Oh, if I'd poo pooed it, I would have said it SUCKED. Haven't said that yet (not about this, but I do think Weir being removed does suck). I just don't set my expectations based on spoilers very high, that's all. I dare say even with episodes I thought were stinkers (and there have been some), there's always been something in the episode worthwhile (even Wormhole X-treme)

Comment

Working...
                                X