Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
    BSG didn't invent shaky cameras and zooming jump cuts.
    didn't you know BSG invented every concept in scifi lore
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I thought we agreed weeks ago that BSG is the origin of all science fiction
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        I thought we agreed weeks ago that BSG is the origin of all science fiction
        I have no recollection of such thing.
        A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
          do you remember that purple drink we gave you....well...........

Comment

Its in one of the SGU=BSG clone folders. I'm too lazy/busy to find it. It was a snark to those who find BSG so original
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Its in one of the SGU=BSG clone folders. I'm too lazy/busy to find it. It was a snark to those who find BSG so original

Comment

Me either. I remember jump cuts from HLOTS.

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...pdate-mailbag/

February 6, 2010

Last night, I dreamt I was back in Montreal. I was downtown and looking to catch a bus back to West Island, a ride that would take approximately 45 minutes, compounding my problems given that it was already 4:30 p.m., the Superbowl had kicked off an hour earlier, and I was supposed to be hosting this year’s Superbowl Bash. So, yeah, I’m hosting this year’s Superbowl Bash. I’m expecting about eight guests – Rob, Carl, Brad, Remi, Ivon, Alan, Lawren, and Ivon – and have planned a football feast, Joe style: six types of chips and dips, pan-seared tenderloin sandwiches, and butter-fried prawn. Ivon’s bringing the chili and Rob’s making cornbread. And we’ll top it off with pastries. I know, I know. Not exactly pizza and wings. As for which team I’ll be supporting tomorrow – I direct you to this blog entry: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...edloved-teams/. First and foremost, I’ll be rooting for “NOT THE COLTS!”. Secondly, I’ll be rooting for New Orleans. GO SAINTS!

Prediction: SAINTS 33 COLTS 31

So when Vancouver secured the bid to host the 2010 Winter Games, politicians and pundits alike just wouldn’t shut up about how all-together fantastic this would be for the local economy. Apparently, hosting the Olympics would result in a huge windfall for everyone. Well, everyone except for all those merchants on Cambie Street who were driven out of business when construction on the new Canada Line went long, effectively shutting down access to their businesses. But, hey, if past Olympics have taught us anything, it’s that the Games are money-makers (unless you happened to have hosted the Olympics between 1932 and 1984, or in 2004, while the bottom line for the 1992 Games wavers between break even and a whopping $5 million!). So imagine my surprise when I came across this interesting article – http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...419/story.html – which points to a recent study that concludes: “the economic impact of hosting the Games, beyond creating a few thousand temporary construction jobs, is effectively zero — neither positive or negative.”. Okay, to be honest, I’m not that surprised. Nor will I be surprised when, long down the line, even further studies reveal that the Vancouver Olympics were, in fact, a money-losing prospect. Poor Vancouver. Like a contestant on A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila, the city forged ahead, oblivious to standing history and prevailing wisdom, convinced that, this time, it would work because it was special. Instead, it will discover the Olympics to be, like Tila herself, both expensive and annoyingly unpredictable. But, hey, as stupid an idea as it sounds, the construction and maintenance of a zip-line down the heart of downtown doesn’t come cheap ($250 000) and the bills must be paid. Which is why street parking hours have been extended from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. and the rates raised, sometimes tripled. To those complaining now or in the future about getting squeezed to pay for the Games – if you voted against them, then I empathize. If, on the other hand, you didn’t bother voting or, worse, voted FOR them, then “Suck it up, *****es!”. And enjoy your Games.

Mailbag:

Susan the Tartan Turtle writes: “Region 1 DVD? What about the rest of the world?”

Answer: We’ll be providing equally cool prizes for those non-Region I residents of the world.

Arctic Goddess writes: “I suppose I really don’t expect an answer to this question, but, do you think that SGU could benefit from new writers? If you agree with me, then you are admitting the show could use improvement. If you disagree, you come across as close minded and inflexible.”

Answer: My response to that would be that it depends on the writers. Talented new writers would certainly help any production. On the other hand, new writers who end up not being the right fit could prove detrimental to the show if we simply have to spend our time rewriting them. Having said that, we are bringing two new experienced writers onto the team for SGU’s second season, and both seem to be great additions to our standing staff.

Major D. Davis writes: “I believe I’ll be leaving on a plane flight at twelve for Ecuador.”

Answer: Better make sure before you board. Have a good time!

DP writes: “What? Peking Duck is just skin?”

Answer: It depends on the restaurant. Most of the places I visited while in Hong Kong served just the skin. Most of the places I’ve been to in North America serve meat and skin. If you’re a vegetarian, simply separate the meat and enjoy the skin guilt-free.

Tim Lade writes: “I am taking ten students down to Lousiana next week…got any suggestions for excellent restaurants in New Orleans?”

Answer: It’s been years since I visited New Orleans – and ended up getting lost in the city’s most unsavory quarters riding a pink tandem bike – so I’m not really in a position to make recommendations.

Osiristi writes: “You’ll look back “on all three shows”? Does that mean SGU will be the last of the franchise?”

Answer: Possibly not for the franchise, but certainly for me.

Laura writes: “So MSN had an article of the top 10 places to eat in Vancouver. How many of these have you visited and what were you opinions on them.”

Answer: Araxi, Bearfoot Bistro, Rimrock Cafe, and Coast = Haven’t been. Blue Water Cafe = Fine. Gotham Steakhouse = Underwhelmed on three successive visits. One of the city’s most overrated. Italian Kitchen = For real? It’s like a really nice Olive Garden. Tojo’s = Very good but prepare to drop some major coin. Vij’s = Excellent but be prepared to wait. They don’t take reservations. West = Also very good but, on my last visit, I had the Chef’s Menu and was still feeling a little peckish at the end of my meal.

Alexander of Houston writes: “Tell me joe, do you like bechamel? can you make mayonnaise? What is your favorite consomme?”

Answer: I do like bechamel, can make my own mayo, but have no favorite consomme.

Alexander of Houston also writes: “How do you like your eggs?”

Answer: Poached and served atop butter-fried sweet potatoes.

Dasndanger writes: “I woke up about 2 am – wind’s starting up now, and we have a bit of snow, but still the threat of ice/rain since we’re just about on that freeze line. The branches are really heavy with wet snow, so I won’t be surprised if we lose power again…just hope not.”

Answer: Hang in there, Das! And stay warm!

Ryan writes: “Do you think SGU appeals to more people than say SGA or SG1?”

Answer: Hard to say. I know that many of our viewers are former fans of SG-1 and Atlantis, but a significant portion are also newbies to the franchise.

Morticae writes: “When will we start getting a sense of the major story arc for the show?”

Answer: We’ve already laid the groundwork. As season one progresses and once we get into season two in particular, pieces of the puzzle will really start to fall into place, giving viewers a better sense of the big picture.

Luis writes: “No pics of LULU and the Gang???Has Brie departed yet???”

Answer: She leaves tomorrow.

Jmanzione writes: “My problem with the production team and MGM in particular is the over emphasis on DVD sales as the reason why there is no movement on the new movies.”

Answer: Actually, that was my reasoning based on the general downturn in DVD sales/rentals. We have yet to receive official world from the studio on either movie.

Jmanzione also writes: “Worldwide the Stargate franchise has several million hard core fans that would make any and every movie a hefty profit with DVD sales and TV Broadcasting, there simply cannot be a continuing denial about this.”

Answer: Believe me, MGM is in the business of making money and if it was as simple and straight forward as Producing the movies = $$$, they would have already given us the go-ahead.

South African Singularity writes: “I’ve always been really interested in the idea of the FURLINGS, knowing that they were one of the original 4 races which entered into the alliance, is it possible that we will be learning more about them during the episodes of the SGU?”

Answer: Highly unlikely.

South African Singularity also writes: “Also, wouldn’t the Atlantis database have some information regarding destiny? It obviously would have been built before the construction of Atlantis and / or the war with the Wraith, and they would have kept monitoring it’s progress in case it might stumble upon any new advantage they could gain against the Wraith at that time?”

Answer: While Destiny and the seeder ship were launched on their long journey, the Ancients never got around to manning the ship so there would have been no hard data to gather beside possible atmospheric information on planets long-since passed.

South African Singularity also writes: “Wouldn’t the sudden appearance of a City from out of space prompt the air force to come clean about the SG program? Or doesn’t that reality have anything to do with the SGU reality? Or is there some missing info we will only find in Stargate: Extinction?”

Answer: This is a question that gets answered in the very first scene of the movie.

gforce writes: “Do you know if there will be a full season DVD release at the end of season one, or are they just going to do them by the half season?”

Answer: Alas, I don’t know what MGM has planned.

Squall78 writes: “I asumed you were being snarky since Season 4 grew from 1.7 Million viewers for the 1st half, to about 2.2 Million for the 2nd half, and Season 5 saw a steady 2.1 Million.”

Answer: The point is it would make more sense to hypothesize based on trending data (ie. the steady downturn in viewership after Atlantis’s second season) rather than a single episode (Justice) and, even then, the seemingly logical hypothesis could be way off the mark (as evidenced by the data you supply showing an eventual uptick in Atlantis’s numbers).

Kevman7987 writes: “Joe, I feel sorry for you. When team USA smashes The Canadian Hockey Team for Gold that the angry rioting will probably leave Vancouver a smoking ruin.”

Answer: No need to feel sorry for me. I’m embracing the anti-Olympic spirit by quietly supporting the Russian and Swedish hockey teams. Also, I couldn’t care less if the downtown core is left a smoking ruin. I rarely frequent any of its restaurants.

PJR writes: “I would like to enquire further how – in the room – the vision for SGU, its difference and commonalities, was communicated to writers, etc.”

Answer: We were given the first three scripts – Air I, II, and III. They served as the blueprint for SGU.

PJR also writes: “Might that leave the door open creatively for writers, or is the SG/SGU bible tightly defined?”

Answer: While the SGU bible is defined, it isn’t “tightly defined” so there is room for developing certain as-yet untapped elements down the line.

PJR also writes: “In SGU, does such possibility exist or were no units brought to Destiny?”

Answer: No ZPM’s were brought aboard Destiny. Why the need for additional power sources when the ship was specifically designed to draw energy from the stars it would pass along the way?

Echelon writes: “Do you make a point to DVR or get a copy of Stargate alumni in their work after Stargate?”

Answer: Only if they happen to be guest-starring on House.
                  sigpic
                  The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-super-sunday/

February 7, 2010

Photos: Food, Calr Binder, Joe Mallozzi, Remi, Robert C. Cooper, Alan McCullough, Toby, Ivon Bartok, Lawren Bancroft-Wilson, Paul Mullie

Today, I hosted a Superbowl party at my place. A good time was had by all, especially the dogs who ended up eating the leftover tenderloin.

And, to top it all off… SAINTS WIN! SAINTS WIN!

Not even the ****** Canadian commercials were enough to dampen the spirits of everyone in attendance. Except for Carl, of course. Between that Panago guy and the Colts losing, it was a bad day for him. Anyway, if you live in Canada and were thus robbed of the opportunity to see the good commercials, check out this site to check out what you missed: http://www.letsrun.com/2010/superbow...rcials0207.php. My faves: Anheuser-Busch (Comet Apocalypse), Audi (Green Police), Doritos (Anti-Bark Collar), and Snickers (Betty White).

As promised, an early post tomorrow (before noon) with 25 SGU-related questions for those interested in taking part in the first (of what will hopefully be many more) Stargate trivia contest. Prizes will be awarded to the first three posters to correctly answer all 25 questions.

Well, I’m off. Rob just texted to tell me that its a Chocolate Chili battle on Iron Chef tonight!
                    Last edited by Darren; 08 February 2010, 08:02 AM. Reason: Circumventing profanity filter
                    sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...rivia-contest/

February 8, 2010

The SGU 1.0 DVD box set comes out this week so, as promised, here are 25 Stargate: Universe trivia questions to mark the launch. First three posters to correctly answer all twenty-five questions will be awarded some cool SGU-related prizes.

Ready…

Set…

Go!

1. Who was the first person through the gate?

2. How old is Adam Brody and what is his profession?

3. What substance are they looking for in Air III?

4. What did T.J.’s father do for a living?

5. Whose water rations does a dehydrated Rush down when he comes through the gate in Air III?

6. What does Camile want Sharon to get rid of in Life?

7. What natural disaster does Lisa Park positively hate?

8. Whose death kicks off Justice?

9. Rush earned a graduate to what prestigious university?

10. Who is the first person selected in “the lottery”?

11. In Life, Spencer pushes this individual so hard to exercise that he ends up vomiting. Who is he?

12. How does Rush choose to spend his final moments in Light?

13. Who is the first one to fall sick on the planet in Time?

14. Which crew member is seriously injured in Earth?

15. Both Eli and Greer come up with clever inventions in Water. What are they?

16. What pseudonym does Eli use when he pays his mother a visit in Earth?

17. What is missing from Wray’s painting in Life?

18. Where is the gun discovered in Justice?

19. According to Rush, how cold is the planet in Water?

20. How old is Dale Volker and what is his profession?

21. Who eventually sits in “the chair”?

22. What did Chloe Armstrong major in at Harvard?

23. Name Eli’s top 4 desert island movies.

24. What movie does Rush quote from in Time?

25. What does Young tell everyone happened to Rush back on the planet in Justice?
                      sigpic

Comment

Looks like I sent my answers first, hopefully they're all correct. Now just wait and see if I won. At least something...
                        sigpic

Comment

i might even get in on this. ....

"reads off of PG's answers

Comment

question one:

dr. ernst littlefield.

if non-human, probably.... amelius

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              question one:

dr. ernst littlefield.

if non-human, probably.... amelius
                              it's all sgu related. the answer is scott.

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...lympic-update/

February 9, 2010

Photos: Brie, Lulu, Carl Binder, Joe Mallozzi

Videos: SGU Season 1.0, kino video diary

Anyone remember that episode of WKRP in Cincinnati, the one in which Johnny Fever mistakenly announces a five thousand dollar prize to the first person who can correctly identify an assembly of various tunes? With Andy and Venus’s help, he creates a near impossible to identify mash-up comprised of a fraction of a second from each song, figuring no one will guess ‘em in a million years. The first caller guesses all but one. Then the second caller guesses them all.

That’s what I was reminded of yesterday when, mere moments after posting those 25 SGU-related questions, you all started responding – with all the answers! As promised, prizes will be awarded to the first three posters who answered all 25 questions correctly. So, congratulations go out to -

E, Damon Key, and LowRiders95s10!

And since many of you were late to the party but still took the time to respond, I also selected one more random winner. Another round of congratulations go out to -

PBMom.

Enjoy your SGU 1.0 box set (or, if you’re not region 1, some other cool prize). They include the first ten episodes aired in addition to oodles of special features including the kino video diaries

Those of you who didn’t win an SGU 1.0 box set – fear not! You can still pick one up. They hit store shelves today!

Well, the Sunday wasn’t all fun and football games. It was the day me and the gang said goodbye to Brie. She may have been a hellraiser, but she was also a great cuddler. She’ll be missed…

We’ll miss Brie and she’ll miss…well, the Olympics anyway. Speaking of the Games, I hear that downtown Vancouver is a circus, teeming with tourists, media, Olympics hangers-on, and, of course, the athletes who have taken to parading about town in their athlete-wear lest anyone fail to recognize them for the truly special [for the duration of these Olympics anyway] human beings they are. Today’s Olympic update comes compliments of Yahoo Sports which lists the Ten Biggest Blunders in Olympic history: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/...yhoo&type=lgns. Fingers crossed for this year!

On the office front, Carl, Ashleigh and Lawren are going out of their way to annoy me by actively supporting the Olympics. Carl, for instance, even went so far as to purchase a ridiculous maple leaf sweatshirt. And he isn’t even Canadian!

I was left impressed and expressed my displeasure…
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X