Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...tiny-corridors

July 16, 2009:

Pictures: Construction design and concept art for the Destiny's Corridors

I’m on a roll! I followed up yesterday’s Tease by writing the first scene of Act I. At this torrid pace, I should have at least half a script completed when I return to the office in August. There’ll be a lot of raised eyebrows when episode #20 goes wide.

Hey, is it just me or are the CNN anchors growing progressively more animated of late? They seem to have taken a page out of Glenn Beck’s handbook, injecting the news with a healthy dose of personality and opinion. With varied results. Tony Harris’s good-humored banter with fellow co-workers marks him as an affable sort, the type of guy I’d gladly buy a beer if I spotted him at my local pub. The same can be said for Erica Hill. But, please, spare me Mike Galanos laboring to channel Nancy Grace. Seriously. Is this a response to audience erosion? Has anyone else noticed?

If you were asked to build a comprehensive SF & Fantasy library, what books would make the list? Editor Lou Ander wants to know. Go help Lou build his library by heading over to his blog and weighing in with your suggestions of those overlooked gems he has GOT to include: http://louanders.blogspot.com/2009/0...ollection.html

The gang at Cracked.com present their list of “10 Things That Will Not End Well”, listing the thing (ie. a book that tells you how to build your own catapult) and then why it will end badly (in the case of the catapult buide, they offer up the following excerpt from the book’s introduction: ”The catapults and related projects described in this book have been designed with your safety foremost in mind. However, as you try them out, there is still a possibility that something unexpected may occur …”): http://www.cracked.com/article_17477...-end-well.html I don’t know. I think I just might send away for that Ninja Home Study Course.

Human Rights Group Campaigns To End Use of Child Politicians In Africa: http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...utm_source=nav

Hooligan squid rough up divers. http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1 I blame violent videogames for their aggressive behavior.

Taco Bell does its part for the environment by rolling out its new Green menu: http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...een_menu_takes

Today, I leave you with some pics charting the design and contsruction of the Destiny corridors.
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...s-the-mailbag/

June 17, 2009

Photos: The Destiny set

So I was perusing the internet today in search of some edifying and thought-provoking material when, appropriately enough, I came across an article in Yahoo Entertainment news titled “Celebrity Phobias and Obsessions”. http://omg.yahoo.com/news/celebrity-...sions/25369?nc. Oh, do tell. The anxiety-producers listed range from the perfectly understandable (ie. Daniel Radcliffe’s fear of clowns) to the somewhat bizarre (ie. Nicole Kidman’s fear of butterflies or Christina Ricci’s fear of indoor plants). It got me to thinking about my own phobias and lack thereof. Nope, no weird, illogical fears for me. I do, however, have some altogether rational aversions and “subjects of general uncomfortableness” that, to the uninformed, may seem a little…er…eccentric. But not really…

Clowns: While I wouldn’t hesitate to punch one in the face if one ever approached me in the street, I wouldn’t go so far as to say I’m afraid of clowns. I simply don’t like ‘em. Why? Because a significant portion of them are either sadistic serial killers or prone to demonic possession. The rest are just depressing. That’s it. Sad or dead. Take your pick. Don’t believe me? A search for “killer clown” turns up an astounding 111 000 results! Compare this to the paltry 3 310 results for “killer acrobat” or the meager 882 results for “killer circus elephant”.

Heights: This is as close to a phobia as it gets. Not only will I NOT step onto a balcony, but it makes me extremely uncomfortable to watch someone I know step onto a balcony. Irrational fear? Are you kidding me? Just run a google search for “balcony collapse” and you’ll be surprised to see they’re not that uncommon (7 420 items found) – though, admittedly, not quite as common as “roller coaster collapse” (12 200 items found).

Roller Coasters: See above.

Komodo Dragons: Okay, granted, the likelihood of my running afoul of one of these venomous lizards is remote, but I’m sure that’s what Mr. Sharon Stone thought a couple of years back when one of them mistook his white tennis shoes for a pair of tasty-looking mice. A simple google search confirms my concerns. “Komodo Dragon kills man” = 96 400 results. “Komodo Dragon saves man” = 0 results.

Snakes: They bite, poison, strangle, and, occasionally, swallow whole. And you’re telling me I have nothing to fear? A simple google search says different: 80 300 results! As opposed to the comparatively meager returns for “baboon attacks”: 9 210 results.

Baboons: See above.

Gas Barbeques: Okay, I’ll admit it. I don’t own a barbeque because I don’t want to get blown up. You may laugh but, just this past weekend, someone Fondy knows had their barbeque blow up on them. A google search for “barbeque explodes” yields 1 150 results. Oh, and I won’t be investing in an espresso machine anytime soon. “Espresso machine explodes” brings up 7 180 results.

Off the top of my head, that’s it. Nothing weird or illogical so far as I can see. Of course, just because I don’t have any phobias doesn’t mean you don’t. But you shouldn’t feel ashamed. Some experts believe that phobias are the echoes of our ancestral past; genetic self-defense mechanisms. Your fear of public speaking, for instance, probably stems from your ancient forefather’s inability to deliver an accomplished keynote speech to the local chapter of his Cave Dweller’s Association, a failure that no doubt resulted in his premature demise and your ongoing anxiety at company meetings. It’s all perfectly normal and the first step to coming terms with your phobia is admitting you have a phobia. The second step is knowing the unpronounceable name that goes with your phobia. If nothing else, “I’m nephophobic.” sounds far graver and more worthy of an acquaintance’s sympathy than “I’m scared clouds.” And so, to help you out, listed below are a bunch of phobias and their fancy names. Find yours then confirm and share with the rest of us in the comments section. Hey, we’re all friends here.

Aibohphobia: Fear of palindromes

Arachibutyrophobia: Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth

Aulophobia: Fear of flutes

Barophobia: Fear of gravity

Celtophobia: Fear of Celts

Deipnophobia: Fear of dining and dinner conversations.

Macrophobia: Fear of long waits.

Metrophobia: Fear of poetry.

Papaphobia: Fear of the Pope.

Pogonophobia: Fear of beards.

Syngenesophobia: Fear of relatives.

Xanthophobia: Fear of the color yellow or the word yellow.

More pics from Stage 4, again the Destiny set in various stages of construction. Let’s call this one “Entrances and Exits”. Oh, and mailbag down below…

Mailbag:

Onu writes: “Confession time – long time lurker, first time poster! Been in and about this site for almost two years now, and figured was ’bout time to join in the fun.

Question for you Joe. Not sure if you’ve answered or addressed this before, but do you ever read or buy ebooks?”

Answer: I don’t buy ebooks. Call me set in my ways, but I look the feel of a real book and the look of a real bookshelf. Also, welcome aboard. Please don’t forget to pay your membership dues.

Major D. Davis writes: “1. Hey joe did you at all miss me?

2. You said downloads don’t count for the drop off.. Huh!!! What drop off.. I thought season 5 was selling very well.. Was I wrong?

3. A pole was taken and 88% of people said they wouldn’t watch universe.. doesn’t all the negative buzz scare you… Just a tiny bit?

4. When I visited the Bridge I got to talk to security guard Bill, I wanted to send him a letter but I don’t know where, could I write an email in the form of a comment, and then have you forward the email to him.”

Answer: 1. Uh, sure. After the second day, put out an amber alert.

2. The drop-off obviously refers to a significant downturn in dvd sales since late 2008.

3. Not especially. a. I’d question the statistical value of said poll. b. At the end of the day, I know we’ve produced an excellent product. And, come October, it’ll be up to the viewers to decide. Not just SF viewers, or Stargate viewers, or online fans of the franchise, or angry online fans of the franchise, but ALL viewers

4. Sure.

Chevron7 writes: “Hey there everyone. Sorry I’ve been a bit MIA lately, miss me?”

Answer: Calling off that second amber alert…

Amz writes: “Our lovely little puppy Lily has taken to, ahem, venting more than atmosphere inside (if you get my meaning). Any chance you could go all Dog Whisperer and give me some advice on how to deal with that?”

Answer: Check his diet. Changes in what he eats could account for this. Have you been feeding him refried beans?

Anaise33 a ecrit: “1) Le 1er épisode de sgu commence dans la base d’sg1?
      2) Joel Goldsmith va t’il composer des musiques pour SGU?

Reponses: 1) Non. 2) Oui.

Translation: 1) Cheyenne Mountain will not be a location in SGU’s first episode.

2) Joel Goldsmith will be composing music for the new series.

Nadine writes: “I think I’ve asked this already (in which case, sorry), but have you read Mary Doria Russell’s “The Sparrow”, and the sequel “Children of God”? If so, which do you prefer?”

Answer: I read The Sparrow and liked it.

Rachael writes: “ What is Colonel Telford’s first name?

Answer: Colonel Zak Telford. I’m not sure about the spelling of his first name however. Could be Zak, Zach, Zac, Zack, or ZzaaakK!

DP writes: “How many beats are in an episode?”

Answer: The number of beats in an episode vary wildly.

JYS writes: “I’m doing a stage at Fuel Sun – Thurs.”

Answer: Have fun! Don’t overcook the salmon!

AndyBrind writes: “what nationality accent will robert carlyle be using in the new series?”

Answer: Latvian. Surprised?

Otros Ojos writes: “I think an entirely new lode of sea-creature speculation is just begging to be explored by sci-fi & fantasy writers. . . .”

Answer: You should have joined us when Jeff Vandermeer’s City of Saints and Madmen was our book of the month pick. Pick it up. Cephalopods abound!
      sigpic
      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ving-quarters/

July 18, 2009

Photos: Ivan Bartok's mom, Ivan's sister Sarah, Ivan, The Destiny living quarters

So far, so good on the script front. I hit the 15 page mark this afternoon. Things get very busy very quickly and there’s a hell of a lot happening in what’s shaping up to be a fairly robust first act. Tomorrow, I’ll go over what I’ve got so far, tweak and tighten, trim the page count and move on, hopefully closing out Act 1 before the 18 page mark and well ahead of schedule. Complicating matters for some of the one on one discussions is the fact that the preceding scripts are presently being written and certain cross-character developments are still in the process of solidifying and settling. Some of these conversations will have to be TBD until I’ve read the scripts for episodes #16 through #19 and, more importantly, everyone is on board with the directions of a few of these arcs.

I tried to wind down today by doing a little reading. It had the opposite effect. I’m working my way through Philip K. Dick’s Valis, easily his most inaccessible book so far. It’s sometimes hilarious, sometimes thought-provoking, but mostly altogether baffling. Anyone out there read it? And finished it? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Since we’re talking books, I’d like to remind everyone that August’s book of the month club discussion fast approaches so, if you haven’t already done so, pick up Elizabeth Moon’s The Speed of Dark and start reading.

From Amazon.com: “Corporate life in early 21st-century America is even more ruthless than it was at the turn of the millennium. Lou Arrendale, well compensated for his remarkable pattern-recognition skills, enjoys his job and expects never to lose it. But he has a new boss, a man who thinks Lou and the others in his building are a liability. Lou and his coworkers are autistic. And the new boss is going to fire Lou and all his coworkers–unless they agree to undergo an experimental new procedure to “cure” them.”

It won the Nebula Award for Best Novel, an honor richly deserved. It’s one of my top 10 favorite SF books. If you’re looking for a wonderful, character-driven story, do yourself a favor and pick it up. Author Elizabeth Moon will be joining us to field questions about the novel and her many works, so don’t miss out. Discussion the week of August 3rd.

Tonight, I went out to dinner with Special Features Producer Ivon Bartok. He phoned me up last night, informed me his mom was in town, and asked me to join them for supper.

“Wow,”marveled my wife. “He’s introducing you to his mother. It must be serious!”. For her part, Fondy wasn’t able to attend as she was off doing the Grouse Grind (trekking up one of Vancouver’s mini mountains). She set off this morning, whistle in tow. “What’s that for?”I asked. “To scare off bears?” “No, this is just in case I get lost,”she informed me. “So the search teams will know where to find me.” Ah. She left at 11:00 a.m. It’s about 8:30 p.m. now. How long do you figure I should wait before organizing the rescue party?

Suffice it to say that, given the choice, I’d prefer restaurant dining to mountain climbing. And so, tonight, we were at one of Ivon mother’s fave Vancouver eateries – Bristrot Bistro.

Also in attendance was Ivon’s lovely sister, Sarah, who hosts a radio show on 95.3 Virgin Radio Vancouver, Thursday mornings 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 pm. and Saturday mornings 8:00 a.m. to 1:00p.m. We talked Tokyo travel (Ivon sat this one out as he was the only one at the table who has never visited), show biz stories, and Ivon’s mother’s love for actor Robert Caryle (Alas, Ivon had to break the news to her – no unauthorized visitors allowed on set this season). It was a great meal and, best of all, I was able to keep to my new sensible eating plan, enjoying a refreshing ahi tuna salad to start and a savory halibut with tomato-lemon broth for my main. As difficult as it was, I resisted the urge to dive into the marvelous-looking duck confit mac and cheese but drew comfort from the knowledge that I‘d be back. Soon. Soon. Thanks to Ivon for picking treating and thereby securing himself future employment.

Today’s pics: The Destiny living quarters.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
          http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-some-mailbag/

July 15, 2009

Apparently, those lovably close-minded anti-foie gras protesters were at it again this past weekend, harassing people out for a nice night out.
          I wonder if Joe has any idea how foie-gras is produced? Grain is fed to fowl by forcing large metal pipes down their throats and force feeding them until their livers become diseased and unnaturally enlarged. During this process they are held captive in tiny wire cages, unable to move or even stretch their wings.
          sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
            I wonder if Joe has any idea how foie-gras is produced? Grain is fed to fowl by forcing large metal pipes down their throats and force feeding them until their livers become diseased and unnaturally enlarged. During this process they are held captive in tiny wire cages, unable to move or even stretch their wings.
            Haven't been following the blog very long, eh? From his January 31, 2009 entry:
            Liberationbc writes: “It is simply a shame that “fine” dining must be had at the expense of the animals who suffered for this “food.””

Answer: Let’s be frank. Any dining, fine or otherwise, that involves the consumption of meat can be considered cruel. Whether it’s foie gras or organic, free-range chicken, an animal is giving up its life. People who tut-tut-tut the force-feeding of geese while chowing down on their KFC hot wings are just as hypocritical as, say, vegetarians who fixate on meat-eaters yet have little concern for the human cost of the fruits and vegetables they enjoy. Everything comes with a price, from the car you drive to the chocolate you eat. It falls on the individual to make a hopefully informed choice and draw his or her own line. Whenever possible, I opt for local, organic, free-range product because, at the end of the day, I prefer to support it over mass-produced beef and battery chicken. And if someone eventually produces a more humane version of foie gras, I’ll be the first in line to pick some up.
            There is a great deal of discussion about foie gras around that time period. Just search foie gras on the blog.
            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-and-whistles/

July 19, 2009

Photos: Destiny pics

Every once in a while you come across an article that speaks to you with such depth of truth that it touches your very soul, presenting an argument that uncannily reflects your innermost convictions with such dead-on clarity you’d swear it had been written by your doppelganger. Friends, this morning, I stumbled across just such an article. I present to you Eric Meline’s Top 10 Worst Twist Endings: http://www.scene-stealers.com/top-10...twist-endings/. All those moronic third act turns and late WTF twists I’ve bitterly complained about over the years – on this blog, at work, at family reunions, while getting directions from complete strangers. Those lame astonishingly imbecilic “surprises” so devoid of reason it makes you angry because you know that, above all else, it’s proof positive that the filmmaker had absolutely no respect for your intelligence. Yes, they’re all here! Ape Lincoln! Saw’s completely pointless end reveal! An alien race with a vulnerability to water that chooses to invade a planet whose surface is 70% water! Even though the article is about a year old, it’s truly timeless.

No work on the script today. Instead, I made roast chicken with truffle butter and citrus breadcrumbs (Thank you, Mr. Ramsay) afterwhich my wife (yes, she survived last night’s expedition) and I headed downtown with the Frenchies. Lulu is terribly out of shape. After eight blocks, she was panting and wheezing so we turned around and I ended up having to carry her back. In retrospect, I think she may have been faking it.

Dentist Day tomorrow for both me and Jelly. At least she’ll be asleep through most of HER visit.

Today’s Destiny pics: Bells and Whistles!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by luvnjack View Post
                Haven't been following the blog very long, eh? From his January 31, 2009 entry:

There is a great deal of discussion about foie gras around that time period. Just search foie gras on the blog.
                No, I can't say I do follow his blog that much. I sometimes pop in here to see if there is any info relevant to Stargate movies etc. As to why anyone would eat something that they knew had been produced in such an horrific way, well words fail me. But that is a topic for another time and place.
                sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-destiny-gate/

July 20, 2009

Photos: The Destiny Gate

My posting a link to this brilliant article - http://www.scene-stealers.com/top-10...twist-endings/ - engendered a fair amount of debate about the merits of certain movie twists and what makes for a cheap cop-out on the part of the screenwriter. Today, I’d like to list some of my favorite movie twists – while still remaining spoiler-free!

The Planet of the Apes: The original of course. I remember watching it for the first time as a very young kid. It was my first and most memorable movie twist. It was also the first time I uttered the phrase: “Holy ****!”.

Soylent Green: Another one I watched as a youngster. The ending haunted me for weeks.

Oldboy: My jaw practically hit the floor when the villain’s ultimate scheme is revealed. For the life of me, I can’t see how the planned Hollywood remake is going to pull it off.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978): When the lights came on in the movie theater after that last scene, everyone in the audience looked like they’d just witnessed their car blow up.

Hard Candy: She may have been good in Juno, but Ellen Page was downright spectacular as a young femme fatale in this little movie with a big twist ending.

The Sixth Sense: I remember sitting in the theater, watching this movie thinking “Meh, it’s alright” but being bothered by some minor inconsistencies. And then, when the twist comes, all those minor inconsistencies turn out to be clues and my response was: “They got me! Brilliant!”

Chinatown: Shocking. And incredibly depressing.

Frailty: A lesser-known movie with a terrific twist. A seriously underated thriller.

Session 9: One of my favorites – a nicely crafted horror movie. I went in expecting little and came away much impressed. And shocked.

The Sting: Many films have sought to duplicate its genius turn but none have come close. A masterpiece of connery.

Arlington Road: A thoroughly atypical Hollywood ending – which is what makes it so good. And creepy.

Angel Heart: To be honest, I don’t know if this one holds up but I remember seeing it at a movie theater when it first came out and literally jumping out of my seat at the end. Oh, that Louis.

The Vanishing (the original): The Hollywood remake copped out but the original offers up an ending unlike any other. Deeply unsettling. Guaranteed to give you nightmares.

Audition: Speaking of “jumping out of my seat”. This movie starts off as quiet little drama about a widower looking for level…and then descends into absolute madness. The big reveal is as harrowing as it gets. Apparently, when this movie screened at a New York film festival, people actually got up and rushed out of the theater during “the scene” Kiri kiri kiri!

Don’t Look Now: Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie play grieving parents visiting Venice following the accidental death of their daughter. They happen to visit while the city is in the grips of a knife-wielding serial killer… One of the most frightening endings ever.

Witness for the Prosecution: What would this list be without an Agatha Christie film? Another one I watched as a kid, this time with my mother. I sat on the couch, stunned, and no doubt interpreting my reaction as an inability to comprehend what had happened, mom explained it to me. Twice.

Have any more to add? Oh, and since we’re on the subject, here’s another list of 10 crappy movie twist endings, this time from the gang at Cracked.com – http://www.cracked.com/article_15621...t-endings.html - Congrats to Signs, High Tension, Hide and Seek, Perfect Stranger, and Planet of Apes for making both lists.

Check out more Destiny pics after the mailbag.

Today’s mailbag:

Pastrygirl writes: “LOVE all the Destiny pics, any chance of getting an exterior design?”

Answer: Thos will have to wait.

DasNdanger writes: “So…does that make me moronic in some way? Does that make me less intelligent than the person who was bothered by the contrivance? What if people just like the silly twist? Is that wrong?”

Answer: No, people are free to enjoy what they enjoy and that certainly doesn’t make them dumb. However, the same can’t be said for said movie twists.

DasNdanger writes: “Uh…like Wraith never guarding their ships, despite their vast numbers? And…like Wraith not killing an Atlantean on sight by now? And…like Wraith never, ever taking evasive action…ever? And…like Wraith not knowing by now that if one hive ship blows up in close proximity to another, they will both blow up? And…like super easy-to-kill Wraith?”

Answer: The hive ships are swimming with wraith. They would certainly kill an Atlantean on sight – unless they had a use for them. The wraith certainly attempt to take evasive action – they’re simply neither as quick or as intelligent as the Atlanteans. Remember, they didn’t defeat the Ancients by superior intellect. They overwhelmed them by sheer numbers. If a hive ship was about to blow up, any neighboring hive ship would certainly get the hell out of the way. Only problem is by the time they realize what’s happening, it’s too late. As for super-easy to kill a wraith – I actually asked that question in late season 3. Chalk that up to improved ammo.

JYS writes: “did you use truffle oil or a real truffle?”

Answer: Real black truffle – chopped up and mixed with butter, tarragon, thyme, olive oil, and sea salt, then massaged in between the skin and meat of the bird. Delish! Hey, how was your stage?

Anais33 a ecrit: “Des frenchies? Vous parlez français avec eux?”

Answer: Oui. Quand ils sont dehors, je cris: “Ici, les francais!”

Translation: Yes, I occasionally speak to my French bulldogs in French.

AMZ writes: “Take Saw, for example. I liked the twist, because right from the start I was thinking “WTF is that body doing there anyway”, and I thought there were enough hints to make it work.”

Answer: So this master serial killer sneaks out of his hospital room every night so that he can go and lie down in the middle of that room with his eyes closed and listen to the action rather than actually watch it on hidden camera? To what purpose? So that he can be close to the action and feel their hot breath on the nape of his neck? And how come throughout his murder spree not one night nurse has noticed him missing?

Eric Melin writes: “Thanks for referencing my article on twist endings. I’m glad my frustrations echoed yours!”

Answer: Hey, Eric. A spot-on article and a terrific site. http://www.scene-stealers.com/

Sheryl writes: “Hey Joe, I know it is off the subject, but this is serious. First thing I read on AOL this morning, ” Wild fires out of control in Western Canada”. How close are you to these fires? And are they “STILL” out of control?”

Answer: Yep. We’re well away from the affected area but, sadly, there are a lot of people who are losing their homes.

Artdogspot writes: “Hard to understand how some of these films are financed and how they escape any studios and get into movie theaters. Where’s the lion when you need him?”

Answer: http://blogs.amctv.com/scifi-scanner...eenwriters.php

DasNdanger writes: “So, if the purpose of having such a twist to the story is to make the reader question his own judgement, think about the legal system and how it can fail the victim and the public, and raise debate over such issues as the death penalty, limited police resources, and innocence until proven guilty (as well as the lasting effects false accusations have on the innocent), then your scenario would be very effective.”

Answer: That is a very specific case. And, I’m afraid, I still disagree. I remember years ago writing a scene in which O’Neill has to sit through a discussion about mineral compounds. Rob Cooper gave me a note to shorten it. I told him that the whole point of the gag was to play out this laborious discussion and thoroughly torture a bored O’Neill – to which Rob replied: “Okay, but don’t do it by boring the audience!”. Point taken and I’ve never forgotten! Theirs a fine line between using art to deliver a message and having a wank at the audience’s expense.

Mika writes: “A writer doesn’t get to introduce time travel as a solution in the last 30 pages if the technology wasn’t acknowledged (or at least significantly far advanced that a breakthrough is plausible) in the first few hundred. It’s just another version of dues ex machina, and totally cheating.”

Answer: Ha! That reminds of an outline submitted by a writer many years ago. In his episode, the team gets into a seemingly inescapable jam and then, in the fifth act, they fix the problem by going back in time. Okay, granted, we’ve established time travel devices in the Stargate universe but this one made a late introduction for the sole purpose of fixing the problem. Needless to say, the outline didn’t fly.

Today’s pics – The Destiny Gate…
                  sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ly-gate-tests/

July 21, 2009

Videos: Gate tests

You know how you hear many a lottery winner state that, despite their sudden financial windfall, they have no plans to quit their jobs? Well, hopefully they’re true to their word because studies reveal that 70% of lottery winners blow through their winnings in just a few years. But that’s beside the point. Of greater interest to me is the prospect that someone who has attained sudden financial freedom would, nevertheless, choose to continue working. Why? So that they can be a contributing member to society? In order to maintain purpose? To score an invite to the company Christmas party so that they can check out Doris from accounting’s annual eggnog-fueled strip tease? Maybe all of the aforementioned? Maybe none of the aforementioned? Maybe it’s just something to say at the time like “Sure, I’d love to have dinner with you!” or “You should call me whenever you’re in town!”, an off-the-cuff declaration that no one in their right mind would ever hold you to.

I wonder about this because this morning, while I was talking to my writing partner Paul, he reminded me that we would be heading back to the office on Monday. It may surprise you to learn that my response was not “Oh, it’ll be great to see the old gang again! I wonder if Carl got a new haircut?” or “Thank God! I’ve been going stir-crazy being at home for the past two weeks!” but rather “So soon?” as though this unforeseen demand on my schedule would somehow hamper a crucial project I had in the works (Although at the time – in the interest of full disclosure – I was standing in my socks and fleece pants in my garden striving to differentiate between the scents of three types of thyme and trying to figure out why they called it lemon basil when it smelled nothing like lemon and really smelled more like marijuana.) Yep, crazy as it sounds, three and a half weeks into my four week hiatus and I’m in no hurry to get back at it even though, in truth, I have been “back at it”, working on the script for episode #20 since my return from Montreal. Maybe my attitude would be different if it was three months, say, or six months, or perhaps two years spent in the isolated darkness of my home theater room freelancing via email, eating Chinese take-out, and watching my entire collection of anime including Ninja Cadets and Elf Princess Rane. Maybe. And then again, maybe not.

Prior to signing on with the Stargate franchise, I spent several years freelancing from home. I’d settled into a nice comfortable routine although there were, admittedly times when I would miss the social interaction that comes with a group story meeting or a good old-fashioned face to face script harangue. I wonder now if, given the choice and all things being equal, I could go back to a more laidback home office life.

Of course, given the uncertain nature of show business, there’s a good chance that, somewhere down the line, I won’t have a choice and may well find myself sitting at home in my socks and fleece pants, working away on my freelance scripts, secretly missing the on-set action, the camaraderie, and Carl’s snazzy post-hiatus haircuts.

Well, that’s it for now. I’m all by my lonesome tonight as my wife went to a “women only” beachside get-together that sounded suspiciously like a Wiccan gathering. I’m off to watch The Orphanage.

Today = video of some early gate tests.
                    sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ctical-puddle/

July 22, 2009

Photo: Heroes Die, by Matthew Woodring Stover

Videos: SGU Gate

Back in January when Stargate: Universe consultant and best-selling SF author John Scalzi was in town, I took him to – where else? – Fuel where, over the course of our dinner conversation, the subject of my humble little book club came up. I asked John if he could recommend a possible future selection. He responded without hesitation: “Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover.”

Fast-forward six months and I’m sitting in my home office, thinking about a selection for September’s book of the month club discussion, when my eyes fall on a copy of…Heroes Die, by Matthew Woodring Stover. Loved the title and the premise intrigued, so I hopped online, tracked the author down, and sent him a message telling him about the blog, John’s recommendation, and asking whether he might be interested in participating in a fan/reader Q&A. The next day, I received his response in an email titled, appropriately enough “John Scalzi is clearly a superior human being.” As it turns out, he’d be thrilled to take part. So…

September’s Book of the Month selection is:

Heroes Die, by Matthew Woodring Stover.

“Renowned throughout the land of Ankhana as the Blade of Tyshalle, Caine has killed his share of monarchs and commoners, villains and heroes. He is relentless, unstoppable, simply the best there is at what he does.

At home on Earth, Caine is Hari Michaelson, a superstar whose adventures in Ankhana command an audience of billions. Yet he is shackled by a rigid caste society, bound to ignore the grim fact that he kills men on a far-off world for the entertainment of his own planet–and bound to keep his rage in check.

But now Michaelson has crossed the line. His estranged wife, Pallas Rill, has mysteriously disappeared in the slums of Ankhana. To save her, he must confront the greatest challenge of his life: a lethal game of cat and mouse with the most treacherous rulers of two worlds . . . “

Discussion begins the week of September 7th when we’ll be joined by author Matthew Woodring Stover.

I heard from actress Sharon Taylor today (Stargate: Atlantis’s Amelia Banks) who has been keeping busy since Enemy at the Gate, having recently landed a recurring guest star role on Smallville. Sharon also tells me that has been cast the evil Empress Amara in an SF web series called Riese. She’ll be in good company, working alongside a bunch of Stargate alumni including Ben “Kavanagh” Cotton and SGU’s very own Patrick Gilmore (aka Dale Volker). Production on the series kicks off in August and, if you’re interested in learning more, you can check it out here http://www.riesetheseries.com/ and here http://www.thesectishere.com/.

Well, some progress on the script for the season finale today. On the positive side, I hit the 22 page mark and I do like what I have. On the negative side, Act I is 17 ½ pages long. I’ll look to trim where I can but, in all honesty, it’s action-filled and should move pretty damn quickly. Paul is apparently into the second act on his script. No idea how Carl and Martin are faring on theirs but, knowing them, they’re probably already finished and coming up with story ideas for season two. The show-offs. Rob, meanwhile, put out his pass on Lucid (he’s renamed it Human and the change is a point of some debate) and it’s a terrific script – engaging, poignant, and, yes, mighty surprising. Rob will be assuming directing duties on the episode.

Today, I leave you with another couple of SGU gate videos, these taken on the day we got our first look at new and improved practical puddle.
                      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...h-the-mailbag/

July 23, 2009

Photos: IOA Offworld Mission Dossier, Homeworld Command Sign, Homeworld Design, Homeworld Command Offices, Carl Binder

I’m off to dinner with Alan McCullough (formerly of Stargate, presently of Sanctuary) tonight so this will be a moderately early entry. When I get back, I plan to see how much headway I can make on the script. Last night, I hit the 28 page mark and things were coming along nicely – until I realized I’d forgotten to address a character. And then, upon closer scrutiny, two characters. Damn. Tonight, I re-read, readjust, and rewrite. The plan all along was to have half the script written by the I return the office on Monday (I’m already there). That way, I won’t feel so guilty about taking time out for a few other things like:

Watching The Orphanage: I was pleasantly surprised. Well, maybe not THAT surprised. If I was to draw up my list of favorite horror films, the majority would be foreign.

Finishing up The Speed of Dark: August’s book of the month club pick. And a terrific novel. I’ll be weighing in with my thoughts on Monday.

Sitting out back with the dogs: They love sun and company. But, of course, not as much as food and sleep.

Cooking: On today’s men – Slow roasted wild salmon with a chive beurre blanc sauce, squash salad with toasted pine nuts and feta, and garlic sautéed broccolini.

Waiting around all day for the locksmith to show: He never did.

Today, I leave you with the sneakiest of peeks at the offices of Homeworld Command. Then, check out the mailbag.

The mailbag:

2cats writes: “Hey, what is the blog consensus regarding Jalapeño Poppers?”

Answer: I’m in the pro-Jalapeno popper camp. In fact, I’d go so far as to say I’m pro-Jalapeno in general.

LesFez writes: “1. Now that Gateworld has shown us the exterior of the Destiny, are you allowed to post some exterior stuff of your own, and concept art?

2. Also, how many pages do you aim to get your scripts to? I seem to remember you saying a while ago that one you wrote was at 52 pages, and that was a bit too long?”

Answers: 1. Unfortunately, I have no exterior shots of Destiny. I tried mounting a camera at the back of the ship but I’d lose it every time it jumped to FTL.

2. Great question. In the beginning, we were aiming for 55-ish – only the first few episodes were timing way too long. So we scaled it back to 46-ish – and that turned out to be too short. Now, I believe 52-ish is about right.

Caitlyanna writes: “Hey Joe, what’s the worst thing that ever happened to you on a trip?”

Answer: Off the top of my head – having a bad reaction to the snake soup served at the Hong Kong airport. It put a bit of a damper on the Tokyo leg of my trip.

Daniel Willis writes: “How did you record this? I thought it was a visual effect added later, by having a green screen behind the gate. This looks so real! Or has this video been edited to include the visual effects?”

Answer: Nope. That’s why it’s called a practical puddle. It’s not a visual effect – as in the show’s early seasons – but a practical one. What you see is actually an image being projected on a screen. Pretty impressive, no?

MAtthew486DX writes: “Me and a friend, possibly more, are interested in building full size replicas of the Milky Way and Pegasus Stargates.

1. Is this legal? Like, for example, would it be any infringement of copyrights to build our own full size Stargates, for, basically “the hell of it” and possibly fan videos?

2. This is a long shot I’m sure, but is there even the slightest hope of getting some assistance from TPTB, specifications, measurements, 3D models, anything at all, to aid in our efforts? We have theorized about making the Gates out of a number of materials as well, resin, wood, etc. Each seems to have their pros and cons. Any info, documents or insight on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

3. How much did it cost you guys to build each Stargate? Milky Way, Pegasus, Destiny?”

Answers: 1. I’m no lawyer, but I’m guessing that if you’re just building it for fun and not deriving any income from the product, you should be okay.

2. If I come across some gate designs with specifics, I’ll be sure to post them.

3. A lot. No, scratch that. A helluvalot.

Thornyrose writes: “Talking about spinning ideas for season two, and not to jinx anything, but at what point will you know for sure there IS a season two?”

Answer: No idea. Since we’re premiering October 2nd, I’m guessing we may have to wait as late as early 2010 to find out.

MajorSal writes: “a few weeks ago, my sister lost her beloved dog. i think she should get another (to help fill the void), like a pug or a little lulu (french bulldog?). i’d like to know if you have a bunch of pics or vids in one place i could show her of your bunch, to entice her?”

Answer: Head on over to my twitter page: http://twitter.com/JellMaxBubLu

Bridjess writes: “Saw that you read We3 recently and wondered what you thought of it…”

Answer: Loved it.

Quade1 writes: “ For example, The Shrine, they just happened to know of a place, then aside from all other cases the creature just decides to crawl out of McKay’s head, and he is magically unscathed, despite having a creature literally running around in his brain?”

Answer: Well, for starters, the creature was literally running around in his brain. It was immobile and growing in one area until affected by the radiation. The reason is “crawled out” in this, rather than any other cases, was as a result of the hole Keller drilled into McKay’s skull, relieving the pressure (created by the expanding creature) and allowing it the opportunity to move to a less constrictive environment and away from the radiation. As for the just happening to know of a place – if this parasite has affected many other inhabitants of the Pegasus Galaxy, then it would stand to reason that Ronon or Teyla would be acquainted with the “disease” and this place.

Quade1 writes: “uhm…..wormhole drive?”

Answer: That one, however, I’ll give you. We had discussed the prospect of a wormhole drive for some time, but never introduced it because we didn’t have a story-specific use for it – until we talked about using it for the movie. Rather than suddenly introduce it in the movie, thus making it feel convenient, we thought it would be better to set it up earlier. And we did – in Enemy at the Gate – but in an episode in which it proved instrumental to the story – and, thus, felt convenient. In hindsight and with a little more time, it would have been preferable to layer the idea in with passing references building up to its actual use in EatG.

Major D. Davis writes: “1. Have you seen any of the final Shiny VFX for SGU…. also how close is Air(first two parts) to being completed?

2. How long till SGU has some cool shirts and merch, cause when I was at the bridge I saw some cool “sexy” LOL SGU shirts(the crew were wearing them, they were a black shirt with the SGU logo printed on them). I just wondered when it will hit shelves cause I would die to get one of them.

3. Did the email to Mr. Bill work out?

4. Do you think we can have some pics from the set of the “puddle jumper on sterioids”. I believe that’s what you called it, and you said it was some type of shuttle.”

Answers: 1. Some very close-to-finals. They look terrific. Definitely Emmy-worthy, but what do I know.

2. No idea what the merchandising plans are.

3. I received it, yes, but don’t head back to work until next week.

4. I have pics of the shuttle and will eventually post them as well.

Tammy Dixon writes: “Does anyone know if the the new SG-1 DVD has nudity on it? “Children of the Gods”.

Answer: It doesn’t. It was a sore point with Brad for years and once he finally go the chance to lose it, he did.

DasNdanger writes: “1. Does Fondy prefer you in the office, or working from home?

2. Does Fondy read this blog?

3. Does your Mom read this blog? Your sister?

4. Will you ever share any of your baby pictures with us, or maybe something from your wayward teenage years?

5. What’s the most physically dangerous thing you’ve ever done?

6. Can you dance?

7. If you’re home and not feeling all that great, what’s your ‘comfort food’?

8. What’s the worst thing you’ve ever found in your refrigerator (as a kid or as an adult)?

9. Have you ever milked a cow and, if not, have you ever wanted to?

10. For hauling your junk around: Boxes or briefcases?”

Answer: 1. Depends on how much I’m annoying her on any given day.

2. Nope.

3. My sister reads it. My mother reads it when my sister directs her to something of interest. Like, say, snaps of her home cooking.

4. No plans to at present. Maybe once I’ve run out of stuff to post/talk about.

5. I’m not a danger junkie. You’d never catch me cliff diving or bungie jumping or gun-running in Central America. That said – “most physically dangerous”? Hmmm. I once stopped out onto a very high balcony.

6. If my life depended on it? No.

7. Chocolate. Ice cream. Nutella. Chocolate chip cookies and milk.

8. The worst thing I ever found was something in a piece of Tupperware I couldn’t even identify.

9. I have – as part of a school trip once.

10. Boxers with South Park prints.

Purp writes: “ Which are your top 5 NCAAF teams heading into the regular season?”

Answer: As in teams I’m rooting for or power ranking. In terms of power ranking: 5. Penn State, 4. Alabama, 3. Florida, 2. Texas, and 1. Oklahoma. In terms of the top 5 teams I’m rooting for (who actually have a shot): Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Boise State, and Alabama.

Ytimyona writes: “Hmm, can you expand the discussion of freelancing versus full-time? It seems to me like either you have a greenlight to write a script (and hence, a full-time job) or you don’t (and then you’ve got NO job). But I’m sure there’s more to it than that.”

Answer: When I was freelancing from home, I was story-editing and writing scripts. Everything that needed doing could be done at home, sent via email, or discussed over the phone. When working full-time, I’m in the office spinning stories, writing, editing, casting, and, generally, hands-on producing.

Artdogspot writes: “I have to agree with Greg about The Usual Suspects. Did you leave that off your list for some reason?”

Answer: I guessed the twist from the moment he fumbled with the lighter. But that wasn’t why I left it off the list. Ultimately, it wasn’t a movie I enjoyed because, at the end of the day, those characters were screwed no matter what they did. They were mere pawns in a greater game beyond their control, hapless and hopeless.

DP writes: “Is the Destiny’s Gate Room in the same spot at the studio as the SGC’s Gate Room?”

Answer: Nope. The SGC gate room was in Stage 5. The Destiny is in Stage 4.

JYS writes: “Where did you get a real black truffle?”

Answer: Meinhardts.

Patricia Lee writes: “Maybe you will surprise us all with an OMG twist ending for the SGA movie!”

Answer: Yep. I pitched this twist out last year: Atlantis comes under attack by the united forces of the wraith. A grand battle ensues but, ultimately, the city is destroyed. At which point our characters awaken and discover that they are on the mist planet from season 1’s Home and never actually left. Surprised?!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                          Daniel Willis writes: “How did you record this? I thought it was a visual effect added later, by having a green screen behind the gate. This looks so real! Or has this video been edited to include the visual effects?”

Answer: Nope. That’s why it’s called a practical puddle. It’s not a visual effect – as in the show’s early seasons – but a practical one. What you see is actually an image being projected on a screen. Pretty impressive, no?
                          No!

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...e-icarus-base/

July 24, 2009

Photos: Alan McCullough, The tuna, Icarus base, Rob C. Cooper, Carl Binder, Ivan Bartok

You’ll never guess who I went to dinner with last night. Uh, right. How’d you know? Oh, right. I mentioned it in yesterday’s entry. Well, yes. Earlier in the week, former Stargate scribe and producer Alan McCullough dropped me an email and invited me out for dinner. I hadn’t seen Alan in ages so I was thrilled to take him up on his kind offer. And on the day, seeing as how he would be treating, I made sure to skip both breakfast and lunch to ensure I really took advantage of the free eats. Eventually, I was famished and ready for dinner! Only problem – it was a little after 3:00 p.m. I don’t know how I was able to hold off until our 6:30 p.m. reservation, but I managed to, only fainting twice enroute to the restaurant.

We went to Market at the Vancouver Shangri-la Hotel and had a wonderful meal. Since I was on the program, I limited myself to ONE appetizer and ONE main course(!). I started with one of the greatest starters in town, the rice cracker crusted tuna with citrus-sriracha emulsion. Tender, crunchy, sweet, savory, and a touch fiery – absolutely delicious. So delicious that I vowed (as I do every time I visit) that next time, I’ll order three and make them my main. My main, on this night, was a new menu entry: a roasted red snapper with sesame vinaigrette, radishes, and fresh ginger. Perfectly prepared.

Alan and I chatted about our respective shows. Apparently, things are well on the Sanctuary side with production on the show’s second season scheduled to wrap at the end of this month. Among the highlights mentioned was Michael Shanks’ guest spot on the show. According to Alan, he was mind blowingly good – so all you Michael fans take note. I filled him in on all things Stargate Universe and told him that no one has had the heart to tell Carl that “Alan isn’t coming back“. We told him “Alan ran away” so Carl, completely oblivious, still sleeps curled up at his old office door. It’s the cutest thing.

A rare burst of creative energy today! I revised the Tease and Act I of episode 20, getting the latter down to a more manageable 16 pages, then made some significant headway on Act II, shaping up to be a robust 14 pages. All the characters are in play but two so, tomorrow, I’m going to go over what I’ve got and make them a little more prominent, thread them into the existing story a little better. This being the season finale, I think it’s important that all of the characters get their turn to shine.

Word of out of San Diego is that the SGU panel went very well. The fans are buzzing about the show and, in particular, the new trailer. If you haven’t already seen it, head on over to Gateworld and take a peek: http://gateworld.net/video/newsandfe...48429391.shtml. Again, a huge thanks and congrats to Grey Munford and his team on a job well done.

Today, I leave you with some pics of the Icarus Base interior.

Oh, and today’s blog entry is dedicated to Beckett’s Patient. Happy Birthday!
                            sigpic

Comment

the practical puddle is the puddle for when they dont step through. like, in EATG when they dial the gate but they only later step through. the Practical Puddle however only worked properly i believe after that. besides, i thing some form of CG will be used to make it look like CGI puddles.

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...e-icarus-base/

July 25, 2009

Photos: Tokyo restaurants, Tom, Rob, Ted, Food, Outside the Icarus Base

I wanted to work on the script – really, I did – but as fired up as I was yesterday, I was stone cold frozen today. The words just wouldn’t come and, after a half an hour of futile spinning, I decided redirect my attention elsewhere and pick things up tomorrow. I only have a few short scenes to write and I’ll have completed Act II – well on schedule. Of course, once we get into the third, that’s when the fun starts. And by fun, I mean heavy research. I have a stack of enormous tomes stacked up by my laptop, just waiting to be read.
                                So this afternoon, instead of writing, I read – no, not the tomes – the just-released Tokyo 2009 Michelin Guide in preparation for my return trip to Japan this winter.

I realize it’s a long way off but if I’d like to have dinner at any of the 2 and 3 star Michelin restaurants on my list, I’m going to have to make reservations two months in advance, and in order to make reservations two months in advance I’m going to need to decide on the restaurants I’d like to visit. There are a few places that so impressed on my last trip that I’ll definitely be going back to but, for the most part, it’ll be a whole new slate including a few heavy-hitters I missed out when I was in town last winter. Alas, my dining companion for most of my last visit, the fearless Jessica, has left Chiba and is now back in her hometown of Houston. Hopefully, I’ll be able to find a replacement half as adventurous and entertaining as she was. Or I suppose I could always treat the hotel concierge.

I received a message on the long dormant corn soup hotline yesterday. It’s back on! And tonight, I was at Fuel for a bowl of The Greatest Soup Ever: Chilliwack Sweet Corn Soup! The best corn at the height of its season is strained through a cheese cloth, again and again, until it has achieved a luxuriously rich neutron star density, and is then served with scallions, early stone fruit, and a daub of delectable foie grass mousse. For my main, I had the plump, pan-seared Qualicum Bay scallops with crispy pork belly served on a bed of summer succotash. Speaking of Fuel, apparently they’ve started their own wordpress-hosted blog here: http://fuelrestaurant.wordpress.com/. Check out their last post titled Summer BBQ Action. I want me some of them ribs!

To those of you asking SGU-related questions pertaining to technical issues or backstory elements (ie. Hey, if the ship was launched that long ago, how come it never ran out of power?), I can do one of two things: I can either publish the scripts or leave you to tune in and discover the answers along with everyone else.

I lean toward the latter.

Das writes: “So, is it accurate to say that it’s like the crew is trapped on a runaway train that’s on a collision course with the unknown?”

I think there may be an opening for you in our marketing department.

Today’s entry is dedicated to blog regular and birthday boy Shirt ‘n Tie.

Yesterday, we were Inside Icarus Base. Today, we’re Outside Icarus Base
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X