Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
    So, by shutting SGA down and not giving us a 6th season the actors contracts were NOT broken cause they are going to be in the SGA MOVIE??

huh?
    One of the actors at the NJ convention was stating that another reason it was cancelled was that their contracts were up for renewal at the end of this season. They would had to greatly increase all the actors salaries making the budget of SGA too much in NBC's lovely eyes to stomach.
    sigpic

Comment

What is going on with his blog lately? It has nothing to do with Atlantis anymore. Yes, I know it's "his blog", not "his Atlantis blog" but what's going on?

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
        What is going on with his blog lately? It has nothing to do with Atlantis anymore. Yes, I know it's "his blog", not "his Atlantis blog" but what's going on?

Vala,
        If you go back to the beginning, JM blogged about food, then decided to add Stargate to the mix, which of course drew in tons of hits (whereas, food commentary, not so much).

WEll, the thing is, Atlantis is dead (oops, sorry, that will occur at 10pm on January 9th), until the movie resurrects it. If nothing else, sure saves time. I wonder though if he'll start blogging sGU to rank up interest in that show, as face it, his bread and butter is more dependent on SGu than the SGA movie.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
          If you go back to the beginning, JM blogged about food, then decided to add Stargate to the mix, which of course drew in tons of hits (whereas, food commentary, not so much).

WEll, the thing is, Atlantis is dead (oops, sorry, that will occur at 10pm on January 9th), until the movie resurrects it. If nothing else, sure saves time. I wonder though if he'll start blogging sGU to rank up interest in that show, as face it, his bread and butter is more dependent on SGu than the SGA movie.
          Hes already been plugging away at SGU. As he seems to be on the writting staff there too, im sure thats what his blog will be in future.

Food + SGU and maybe some tit - bits about the movies.
          sigpic
          banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

You are right, that is why I stopped posting his blog on SCI FI. Folks right now really don't give a hoot about SGU on the SGA forum.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
              I'm still willing to give SGU a chance. There's more to it than BW. I can appreciate that he is ready to move on, and I'm sure he's tired of being asked about the cancellation. I wish he'd chosen a more tactful way of addressing the questions.
              mental green because it wouldn't let me actually green you.

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
              So did I. It just goes to show you that they definitely don't look at their product the same way the fans do.

I really wanted him to elaborate more on how he really felt about how the announcement about SGU came out and the focus was on a younger audience. Instead, all we get is we need all of them (meaning fans of all ages).

It's okay to be moving on and people need to, however he had a wonderful opportunity here to do some damage control with perceptions that have been generated and I think he blew it.
              Again I really agree with this post. I do realize that a show is completely different for those who work on it as opposed to a fan such as myself. Not speaking for anyone but me, but I get wrapped up in a story. I get attached to characters and look forward to each new episode. Television is my hobby (that and books) and I enjoy it and immerse myself in it the way some folks so with sports or stamp collecting. I suppose that those who work on a show both behind and in-front of the camera look at it as a job for the most part. They go to work and then leave to go and do whatever it is they enjoy in their time off. I watch TV in my time off (well not all my time off but hopefully my point is made without making me out to be too much the losergirl). I also think that most of the folks are the creative sort who actually look forward to moving on to something different, a way to flex their creative muscles so it isn't always a bad thing when a show is over for them. It just means moving on to something new and exciting while I am left feeling a little sad for the loss of characters I've come to enjoy spending time with. The only cast I ever saw lament the loss of a show as much as the fans would be the Firefly cast (which endeared them to me greatly).

I would have liked to see BW acknowlege that and perhaps be a little more understanding but instead he came across to me personally (opinion only) as a bit condesending.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              I'm pretty sure all of us has had a show we loved cancelled on us. Heck, he's had at least 3 shows that he's worked on cancelled; I'd say that THAT may hurt even more.

With all due respect to all the hurting/pissed off Atlantis fans here (of which I was one), let's get some perspective. Having a TV show cancelled on you is hard, but it's not that hard. If you can't handle that, then you're going to have some major problems when something really bad actually happens.
              Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              Regardless, we're still talking about a TV show. So you think a TV Exec was cold-hearted, so what? Why is his attitude so important? It's his work that should be judged, no?
              I hope I have perspective. I certainly don't put the loss of a television show up there with the important things in my life. I can separate fact from fiction. But I am taking the time to visit a forum and a blog so I get a bit worked up at times. Hopefully I am respectful with those like JM and BW who take the time to interact with me a lowly fan. I don't think there was anything snarky, mean, arrogant or condesending in my question to BW. In fact if was pretty much just a compliment on The Shrine. So in that regard he answered me in kind, I asked a question and got a decent answer. I can understand the urge to reply to those critical of you in a similar vein. Who likes to be critized? No me thats for sure. But as for your question about why his attitude is important, well I suppose it just forms an opinion in my head that is less than complimentary. If I went to a store and my cashier was super quick and efficient, bagged my groceries perfectly but was rude to me I wouldn't walk away happy. I guess I just try believe that how you speak to people says something about you. I think it matters but thats just me. I get that not everyone was respectful but for me some of his answers were a bit harsh.

I also think that the fact that those questions were submitted a while ago when the cancellation was fresher in folks mind, before the announcement of RC being cast changes the tone. I imagine some of those questions would have been worded differently or been entirely different had the questions been submitted now. Such a huge time delay between the questions and the answers had a negative effect on the Q & A IMHO.

Comment

Here's my beef with BW's style of replying in this blog.

He didn't have to do the Q&A. As he points out, we, the onlien fans who also bother sending questions on JM's blog are a pretty predictable bunch. He knew exactly how unhappy people are with the whole SGa cancellation and he new exactly what sort of questions he was going to get. That he chose to accept them and answer the Q&A is very nice fo him, but he shouldn't act all surprised and snarky when he gets questions by disgruntled fans.

As Prion, I think, pointed out after this was posted, SGU has had enough bad press and bad PR with the old time fans, and as much as BW's saying that some of the parts that really pissed off fans were said by SciFi and not Bridge, as long as he takes the same attitude as SciFi took then - i.e the Stargate fans would watch whatever show was given to them named Stargate so let's not even bother pretending we care about them - he's not going to make people more open to the show.
                Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                Yes, I am!
                sigpic
                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post

He didn't have to do the Q&A. As he points out, we, the onlien fans who also bother sending questions on JM's blog are a pretty predictable bunch. He knew exactly how unhappy people are with the whole SGa cancellation and he new exactly what sort of questions he was going to get. That he chose to accept them and answer the Q&A is very nice fo him, but he shouldn't act all surprised and snarky when he gets questions by disgruntled fans.

As Prion, I think, pointed out after this was posted, SGU has had enough bad press and bad PR with the old time fans, and as much as BW's saying that some of the parts that really pissed off fans were said by SciFi and not Bridge, as long as he takes the same attitude as SciFi took then - i.e the Stargate fans would watch whatever show was given to them named Stargate so let's not even bother pretending we care about them - he's not going to make people more open to the show.
                  He thinks just because it's Stargate, people will watch. SGU is also going to be effected with that Friday night timeslot. Are the ratings going to be a gurantee with this new show? Maybe 2.1 Million viewers is the most the Stargate Franchise is going to see from now on unless SCI FI does something about it.

I'm sorry, he cannot pin this one on SCI FI, like with SG-1. He makes it sound like oh you will love SGU, so watch that show, and stop complaining about SGA being canned. I guess it sucks for the SGA fans who have no interest in SGU.
                  sigpic

Comment

Actually, I think he said, "If it's good, you'll watch it; if it's not, you won't" (paraphrased, because I can't remember the exact words).

Which frankly, is fair enough. It's pretty much my criterion when watching something.If you're trying to slam him (accurately), what you want to say is that he doesn't care about the fans, because we're a tiny fraction of the numbers he needs to keep a show going. Which, sadly, is accurate. He needs millions to watch; GW has got, perhaps, thousands at a push. Which isn't enough to make a major difference, especially when you consider those of us who genuinely don't matter - those of us outside the US, and make no difference to Nielson values, and don't contribute to the renewal of the programme.
                    sigpic
                    Stuart: “You’ve done nothing, Vince. You go to work, you go for a drink. You sit at home and watch cheap science fiction. Small and tiny world. What is there…that’s so impressive about that? What is there to love?”
                    Vince: “Yeah.”
                    Stuart: “…It was good enough for me.”

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                      Tell fans the truth, that SGA didn't work out the way they planned and it was never as important to them as SG-1 was so when push came to shove it was fairly easy to say bye, bye to SGA and hello to SGU.

Well that would be my version of him being honest and speaking his mind. I guess though we are getting into the area of not respecting TPTB so I better stop.
                      I knew you'd say something like this.

He wouldn't be "speaking his mind" unless he says what YOU'RE thinking.

That makes sense.

But he didn't act surprised. If anything, his tone was neutral and blunt unless the question was disrespectful.

Vala,
                      JM blogs about what's happening in his life. Recently, he's vacationing in Montreal with his family, so there's very little Stargate. He won't blog about Atlantis much either way since the show's over and there's nothing more to talk about with respect to it other than the movie, which he has talked about.

He will talk about SGU, since he works on it.
                      Last edited by PG15; 03 January 2009, 01:34 PM.

Comment

well judging from the Q&A answers, 5 years are pretty long for a series. so stop complainting its short and all. SG1 wouldve been cancelled 5 years ago, but it didnt because it moved to annother network. so unless someone buys the rights of SGA, its not gonna live.
                        SGU. well i wish they couldve done it a bit more... subtle. i mean, they pushed it like it was [imagine cartoony scene]
                        GET OVER WITH SGA, WE PUSHED THAT CRAPPY EXPENSIVE SERIES AWAY. WATCH SGU, SO WE CAN SUCK YOUR WALLET DRY!

wheras it shouldve been more like:

"we are sorry, but atlantis is not renewed due to many factors."

few days later

"well we've been in negotiation. obviously stargate is a good franchise. so we decided to greenlight both SGU, AND an SGA movie, + more SGA movies provided that the first one sells well."

stargate TPTB[not mgm/scifi]
                        "well, SGA is cancelled and its a shame. luckily, we managed to continue the franchise by settling annother deal: SGU is greenlit. also, we saw oppurtunity for SGA movies "

as opposed to.
                        "oh, its a shame its cancelled. yea but luckily for our jobs, we got SGU and a movie. well, atlantis was a dying horse, we're looking forward to SGU, fresh, new, blablabla. for the movie: well, expect a shocking return, a settling revelation, and alot of action in the movie."[the basic formula for any episode, with a teaspoon of originality and a cup of SGA].

they might not have intended it that way, but it just appears as so. they couldve handled it.. better.

Comment

I know that but I have realized that he has TONS of pictures piled up that he used to release little by little and now no.

And I do remember several months ago that he said he was going to dig through and post pictures of SG-1 material. Why did that never happen?

Vala,

Comment

I know that but I have realized that he has TONS of pictures piled up that he used to release little by little and now no.

And I do remember several months ago that he said he was going to dig through and post pictures of SG-1 material. Why did that never happen?

Vala,
                            My guess is that he was scolded by the higher-ups because of copyright issues.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              well judging from the Q&A answers, 5 years are pretty long for a series. so stop complainting its short and all. SG1 wouldve been cancelled 5 years ago, but it didnt because it moved to annother network. so unless someone buys the rights of SGA, its not gonna live.
                              SGU. well i wish they couldve done it a bit more... subtle. i mean, they pushed it like it was [imagine cartoony scene]
                              GET OVER WITH SGA, WE PUSHED THAT CRAPPY EXPENSIVE SERIES AWAY. WATCH SGU, SO WE CAN SUCK YOUR WALLET DRY!

wheras it shouldve been more like:

"we are sorry, but atlantis is not renewed due to many factors."

few days later

"well we've been in negotiation. obviously stargate is a good franchise. so we decided to greenlight both SGU, AND an SGA movie, + more SGA movies provided that the first one sells well."

stargate TPTB[not mgm/scifi]
                              "well, SGA is cancelled and its a shame. luckily, we managed to continue the franchise by settling annother deal: SGU is greenlit. also, we saw oppurtunity for SGA movies "

as opposed to.
                              "oh, its a shame its cancelled. yea but luckily for our jobs, we got SGU and a movie. well, atlantis was a dying horse, we're looking forward to SGU, fresh, new, blablabla. for the movie: well, expect a shocking return, a settling revelation, and alot of action in the movie."[the basic formula for any episode, with a teaspoon of originality and a cup of SGA].

they might not have intended it that way, but it just appears as so. they couldve handled it.. better.
                              They are the ones who cancelled SGA to make SGU, SCI FI agreed with them since even if SGU performed similar to SGA it would still pull more revenue since it's cheaper.
                              sigpic

Comment

Vala,
                                Were they studio shots (taken by others) or ones he took? I honestly don't remember what he said, or if I even read it. It could be he's saving them, or just doesn't care anymore, or the actors went "um, no." We'll never know, so no use pondering too much on the topic, unless someone asks him point blank, to which I'm willing to bet - no answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X