Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smurf View Post
    He said big season 4 announcement, so I'm guessing some guest star of the week he's personally excited about.
    Ah. Guess I should pay closer attention. LOL! In that case, yeah, it's probably a casting thing.

If it IS about Carson's "return"... I'm sorry, but I just can't look forward to that. Bringing characters back from the dead has always seemed like a pathetic trick to me, whatever excuse it is- AU, ascension, robots, etc... With very rare exceptions I think if someone dies they should STAY dead. Even in scifi.

Also, if it's true, I hope the Carson Brigade doesn't live to regret it. That whole "Be careful what you wish for" tends to have extra potency where TPTB are involved.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      Ah. Guess I should pay closer attention. LOL! In that case, yeah, it's probably a casting thing.

If it IS about Carson's "return"... I'm sorry, but I just can't look forward to that. Bringing characters back from the dead has always seemed like a pathetic trick to me, whatever excuse it is- AU, ascension, robots, etc... With very rare exceptions I think if someone dies they should STAY dead. Even in scifi.

Also, if it's true, I hope the Carson Brigade doesn't live to regret it. That whole "Be careful what you wish for" tends to have extra potency where TPTB are involved.
      It does/will make the whole "shaking things up" attempt at a ratings grab, particularly meaningless. Kudos that JM is a man of his word, but sometimes dead should mean dead. With all these "deaths" it's not much of a surprise that Stargate is seen as a bit of a lightweight in sci-fi terms - such a boy who cried wolf effect.
      Seems the only way to be properly dead in the Stargate universe is not to have the character die, but to have them leave.

Comment

The only way for a character to stay "dead" is for TPTB to hate the actor and refuse to invite him/her back. In most of those cases, however, it's simply a loose thread left dangling with no explanation (or a very weak one) about what happened to the character.

Comment

Oh, I wouldn't think hating an actor is enough to keep a character dead. Not if there's a chance of a ratings boost out of it.
          Given the last few years of both shows, I'm not getting the impression that the integrity of the story/universe outweighs getting that possible ratings bounce.

Comment

If it IS about Carson's "return"... I'm sorry, but I just can't look forward to that. Bringing characters back from the dead has always seemed like a pathetic trick to me, whatever excuse it is- AU, ascension, robots, etc...
            The funny thing is, it's none of those things.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              The funny thing is, it's none of those things.
              Yeah, but I still think it's a bad idea. Just because you can bring people back from the dead doesn't mean you should.

I'm happy that the Carson fans are happy and I'm glad for Paul getting another couple shots at the show, but... well, that's probably a subject for another thread.

Now I wanna see if my friend was right and Joe pulls a "Oh, we had this planned all along, it had nothing to do with all those screaming loser lemmings making fools of themselves in Carson's name."

Comment

Now I wanna see if my friend was right and Joe pulls a "Oh, we had this planned all along, it had nothing to do with all those screaming loser lemmings making fools of themselves in Carson's name."
                Of course he will. Remember the whole Daniel/Jonas drama of Seasons 5-7.5 was eventually labeled a plan. Apparently, changing the cast randomingly and then rehiring them is just par for the course.

Like Daniel, the new Carson will also be more sarcastic and muscular than his original. Coming back from the dead does wonders for character personality.
                "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Actually, I've been holding my tongue on that; isn't it suspicious that the contract with Paul was finalized so quickly? I mean, from what we know, both parties seem to want this to happen, but still, contract negotiations should take a while, no?

Me thinks TPTB had this idea all along, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
                    Of course he will. Remember the whole Daniel/Jonas drama of Seasons 5-7.5 was eventually labeled a plan. Apparently, changing the cast randomingly and then rehiring them is just par for the course.

Like Daniel, the new Carson will also be more sarcastic and muscular than his original. Coming back from the dead does wonders for character personality.
                    At this point my interest in season 4 starts to go below zero...

Comment

Actually, I've been holding my tongue on that; isn't it suspicious that the contract with Paul was finalized so quickly? I mean, from what we know, both parties seem to want this to happen, but still, contract negotiations should take a while, no?

It's a guest star spot, as far as I can see, it wouldn't have taken very long to set up. There isn't that much negotiation to be had if both parties were interested.
                      Some network shows seem to manage to cast guest characters, shoot, and have it on air within a month or so.

They already seem to be saying they'd planned it all along by saying they hinted it in the last few eps. If so why didn't anyone on the board notice it?

Comment

Agree PG.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post

They already seem to be saying they'd planned it all along by saying they hinted it in the last few eps. If so why didn't anyone on the board notice it?
                          It was too subtle, and people weren't looking for them.

Of course, you could be right; it's just my pet theory right now.

Comment

It was too subtle, and people weren't looking for them.

Of course, you could be right; it's just my pet theory right now.
                            Come on! We ain't sci-fi geeks for nuffin, ya know.

Hanging together the actor's disappointment, the "Fans have no effect", "we wanted to shake things up", promising only if they get their cause on the Today show (he probably thought not getting it further than a couple of press ads was a banker), and knowing that most of the second half of the season hasn't been written. To me it just doesn't feel right.
                            Of course, if it was all pre-planned then it's good news for SGA, since it shows actual forethought. And I haven't seen that (on SG-1 at least) for a long time.

Comment

Whether they had planned it or not, they're happy they got publicity, fans of Carson are happy to see him back, and I am frustrated to be played like this for a tv show. (I love Carson but I'd rather see him dead, but I'll wait and watch how it turns out.) Why oh why can I watch a tv show without anything happening behind the scenes. WHy!!!!!!!
                              Mod Note: Sig oversized.Click to view.

Comment

BSG end of season 3 spoilers:

Spoiler:
                                You're right, there are a lot of signs pointing opposite what I've suggested. BUT, did you read about Starbuck and how her death was all a setup? It was kept from even most of the actors! She was pretend-fired by Ron Moore, participated in a "farewell party", only to come back after everyone left for the hiatus to film her return at the end of Crossroads Part 2!

Of course, I don't think the Stargate TPTB were as elaborate as that, but as Joe said, they discussed the possibility even before Sunday aired. The return of Carson was never an impossibility, and they must have reached Paul before the Today Show thing came out, which was what, 3 days ago?

Ok, maybe this wasn't a COMPLETE setup, but I don't think it's a "oh, the fans showed us up, I guess we'll have to do it" thing neither.

Comment

Working...
                                X