Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sept 22nd

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...d-the-mailbag/

To those of you wondering about the wrap party - yes, Amanda was there and I did take some photos of her, but a combination of the camera flash and where we were standing resulted in some iffy pics so, rather than post them, I prefer to direct you to this
    (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpres...9/dsc01057.jpg) much better photo I took of her the other day. In fact, I took three times as many photos as posted but only selected the ones that, in my opinion, so my apologies to whoever didn’t make the cut. No photos of Rachel as I missed her at the party. According to Marty G., she arrived late and left early. I didn’t take any pictures of Joe or David, but I did exchange “best wishes” emails with David this morning. And for those of you asking what I wore to the party - scroll down to the bottom of this entry and check out today’s installment of the Weird Food Purchase of the Day: Shredded Squid.

Hey, look! It’s the mailbag!

Ivon writes: “I have been waiting all day for this… I was having a tough time trying to remember the night (last night). Well, except for your speech… it brought tears to my eyes.”

Answer: Hey, what happened? I went home for a power nap and came back like I said I would but you’d already left! So lame.

Lcshepp writes: “Side note…sometime when SGA is long done, I would really like to know what your true feelings are/were about the cancellation. I can’t believe you are going quietly into the night. I also know that the ‘team’ concept, franchise politics, and career moves dictate many comments.”

Answer: I think I was pretty clear about my feelings. While I wasn’t necessarily surprised, I was very disappointed.

Kellyk writes: “What if when it comes time to do the movies the cast already have other jobs?”

Answer: We’re going to try to time the shooting of the movie to make it as convenient as possible for the actors to participate.

Mark Nicholson writes: “yeah, you should have dropped of those shirts, then the model shop might not have been forgotten, like it always seems to be J”

Answer: Damn. Shirts and socks. Of course, a huge thanks to the model shop!

Belouchi writes: “1. We found out in season 1 that there were 60 Hive ships or more in the Pegasus galaxy, now with so much that has transpired ( Our team taking out a few, the wraith civil war, the asuran-wraith war) approximately how much do you think are still out there and will it be adressed in one the season 5 episodes?”

Answer: We will not cite a specific number but it is strongly inferred the wraith have been greatly weakened by the time season five unfolds.

Belouchi also writes: “2. The season 4 episode harmony makay said that hes been looking for that place for months because it was where the ancients first developed drone technology. Well since the ancients didint go to the pegasus galaxy untill the whole plague thing that would mean that when they left earth, the outpost didint have any drones there and they didn’t develop drone technology until they got to Pegasus. Well if that is indeed true, then why would the ancients make thousands of drones when they got back?”

Answer: I actually answered this question way back after Harmony first aired. The reference was to, specifically, the testing of the mini drones. It wasn’t clear.

Belouchi writes: “3.What ever happened to the other three planets from Weir’s list in the episode Before I slept containing ZPMs?”

Answer: Checked out and came up empty.

Anais33 a ecrit: “S’il vous plait donner moi une adresse où je puisse vous écrire???!!”

Reponse: [email protected]

Anna writes: “Way back when the network made you change the title of Red Shirt Diaries - was that because it’s similarity to Red Shoe Diaries?”

Answer: The network has never made us change a title. In the case of The Red Shirt Diaries, the story was spun in another direction, sans red shirts and/or diaries, so the script necessitated a title change. It became Prodigal.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post

Answer: I think I was pretty clear about my feelings. While I wasn’t necessarily surprised, I was very disappointed.
      Not going to put words in Joe M's mouth. But this word is worth a thousand words. A little scenario...

You just get promoted, and then after a year and a half are let go.

So, everyone here can bash Joe M and say how they hated this season and last season, and how a few folks here are smiling at the fact Joe is emptying his office. Well a bunch of people just lost their jobs, fans lost their show, and good actors now have find new work.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
        Not going to put words in Joe M's mouth. But this word is worth a thousand words. A little scenario...

You just get promoted, and then after a year and a half are let go.
        Oh, it's a very common business scenario. Promote and fire.

I think the only difference is that in the entertainment industry, it's the norm for your job to last a year or two before evaporating and going on to the next. Sad, but true.

Comment

Oh, it's a very common business scenario. Promote and fire.

I think the only difference is that in the entertainment industry, it's the norm for your job to last a year or two before evaporating and going on to the next. Sad, but true.
          His team made the show more successful and attracted more viewers than Season 3. So it doesn't make sense business wise either. It's like you fire the new CEO after the company's stock rises through the roof.
          sigpic

Comment

Heh, the shredded squid eating video was funny.

Comment

His team made the show more successful and attracted more viewers than Season 3. So it doesn't make sense business wise either. It's like you fire the new CEO after the company's stock rises through the roof.
              It might make sense business wise. Ratings are just one side of the balance, the other side is the costs...

Comment

Ah the old question about the mini-drones, I remember asking that question and JM answered

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

the "stock" is hardly through the rough. I would say the gain is less than a third since season 3 which took a huge blow when skiffy broke up sci-fi friday...season 1. Then add in the fact that all the ratings went down across the board for the network. Even BSG tanked in ratings after that brilliant move.

Of which ratings is only part of the bigger picture and doesn't equal company stock in the least. NBC which is owned by GE is actually doing rather well...(last I looked, haven't looked this past couple of weeks). The owner is far from crying poverty and owns a huge umbrella of assets.

The deciding factor was money, not ratings. Not even company stock! It was which basket do we wish to sink our egss into now. SGU which has been in development for 2 years and is ready to start the next phase or SGA which will cost even more money next year. (remember the canadian dollar is worth more than the US and it's no longer cheaper to film in Canada.

There is a number of things pushing SGA out of the way. New series, rising production cost, knowing 2 series would be too much strain on the writers, the investment already sunk into the new series, an aging series that doesn't get the same ratings it did when it was in year one. The prospect of doing DVD movies and maybe more.

Granted SGA has increased in ratings, but not significantly. Whispers only got a 1.1 while Ghost Plumbers is still cleaning house with a 1.9

SGA is falling in the mid to low ratings on the skiffy network. If SGA was the top rated show for the network; I could see your point. But it's far from top rated and is beat out by far worse programing (IMHO) such as wrestling and ghost hunting plumbers.

Hmm, doesn't really say much for the network huh?
                  Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Well Technically I think Whispers pulled like a 1.5 HH rating if the trend continued. Which would put it in the top 3 programming. The season premiere had a 1.7 just beating Ghost Hunters International for the top spot that week. This season SGA is averaging around a 1.6 HH rating, where as GHI was around a 1.7 HH rating. So is SGA that far off? Not at all.
                    Last edited by Briangate78; 23 September 2008, 02:17 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

FYI the Canadian Dollar is currently worth about 96 cents U.S.

The cost of production also depends on tax incentives and not just the exchange rate.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                        FYI the Canadian Dollar is currently worth about 96 cents U.S.

The cost of production also depends on tax incentives and not just the exchange rate.
                        With the way the U.S. Economy is going that will likely change, lol.
                        sigpic

Comment

well if you're talking wall street nothing make sense there. millions in bonuses while people are getting laid off. ANyway... one reason SGA probably went up in ratings is because SG1 vanished off the grid, and fans who watched that, in part, migrated over. TPTB are counting on SGA fans to migrate over to SGU.

I do watch seasons 1-3 much more than season 4 onward. Interesting how it's the same with SG1, and interesting how that's when JM took over each show... hmmm...

Comment

well if you're talking wall street nothing make sense there. millions in bonuses while people are getting laid off. ANyway... one reason SGA probably went up in ratings is because SG1 vanished off the grid, and fans who watched that, in part, migrated over. TPTB are counting on SGA fans to migrate over to SGU.

I do watch seasons 1-3 much more than season 4 onward. Interesting how it's the same with SG1, and interesting how that's when JM took over each show... hmmm...
                            It's funny you say that. Now I thought seasons 3,4,5 and 7 were the best of SG-1. I do remember several years ago being very cautiously optimistic to an episode written by M&M. Look at this season, M&M wrote The Seed and Whispers, my two least favorite eps. However, they also wrote some great eps which I enjoyed like "The Last Man" and "The Kindred part 1". I think they need to seperate M&M's name from being a duo. Because what if Paul M is really writing the better eps and Joe M is writing the flops, or vice versa.
                            sigpic

Comment

It's funny you say that. Now I thought seasons 3,4,5 and 7 were the best of SG-1. I do remember several years ago being very cautiously optimistic to an episode written by M&M. Look at this season, M&M wrote The Seed and Whispers, my two least favorite eps. However, they also wrote some great eps which I enjoyed like "The Last Man" and "The Kindred part 1". I think they need to seperate M&M's name from being a duo. Because what if Paul M is really writing the better eps and Joe M is writing the flops, or vice versa.
                              That is questionable. First the writer, whoever he/she is writes over an idea/ pitch that was approved by the team of writers, show runners and producers. If the idea is bad to begin with...the writer can do very little improve the episode. Second: The episode script is probably team work. As in really written by two. Third: You're assuming that someone's written production is consistently exquisite or downright bad. Human behaviour is never that linear. We all have our peaks and lower points.

I tend to appreciate some writers more than others but sometimes there comes an episode from a writer I don't usually appreciate that turns out quite good...and vice versa.
                              sigpic
                              Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
                              Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

With the way the U.S. Economy is going that will likely change, lol.
                                I didn't want to say that, you've had enough bad news lately!

However, as our largest trading partner, when you sneeze we get a cold so our dollar may drop along with you.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X