Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
    The Fan favorites are listed here, prion.
    Ah, 'top ten,' not 'fan favorites.' Also noted on their graph chart about 50 fans vote. Did I read that correctly?

Comment

Regarding the older female audience thing, I think Anon's point was that she (I assume she) felt that SG-1 appealed to an older, more feminine audience because it focused more on the characters and mythology than the flashy explosions. Joe's response was that it took YEARS for SG-1 to build up its history and that eventually Atlantis will reach the same point. The older/female audience-worthy thing was definitely facetious on his part, hence the use of quotation marks.

It makes me wonder if Anon's entry was snipped, though, since she never mentions Atlantis but Joe makes a direct comparison between the two. Or maybe Joe thinks Atlantis is more flashy explosions than characters & mythology and just read into it.

I do think Atlantis is being aimed at the young male audience, but I'm pretty sure SG-1 is, too, especially over the past few years. But where a show is aimed and where the audience is aren't always the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
        David McKee writes: “What does your Magic 8 Ball say about the prospects for Jacob Carter returning in "Continuum"?”

Magic 8 Ball says: Outlook not so good.
        Bah.
        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
          Regarding the older female audience thing, I think Anon's point was that she (I assume she) felt that SG-1 appealed to an older, more feminine audience because it focused more on the characters and mythology than the flashy explosions. Joe's response was that it took YEARS for SG-1 to build up its history and that eventually Atlantis will reach the same point. The older/female audience-worthy thing was definitely facetious on his part, hence the use of quotation marks.

It makes me wonder if Anon's entry was snipped, though, since she never mentions Atlantis but Joe makes a direct comparison between the two. Or maybe Joe thinks Atlantis is more flashy explosions than characters & mythology and just read into it.

I do think Atlantis is being aimed at the young male audience, but I'm pretty sure SG-1 is, too, especially over the past few years. But where a show is aimed and where the audience is aren't always the same thing.
          I've noticed that Joe often snips the questions when answering them, especially if they are longish. I don't recall if that is the case with this particular question -- you can find the full posts if you dig around in the "comments" section at Joe's blog.

As for Joe's answer that SG1 took years to build up "history," that made me laugh, because among the SG1 fans I've talked to / read their posts in forums, the general concensus appears to be that it's the early seasons of SG1 that most focused on character and mythology. I don't think it really matters if the show is ten years old or just in its first year -- the focus on its characters is either there or not. Sure, characters who have known each other for ten years will relate very differently to each other than characters who have just met, but a show can focus on the characters regardless, if that's where the writers want their focus to be.
          Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
          Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
          -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
            Amazing just how arrogant that answer to your obervation. You stated a simple fact, that an older audience would be more intresting in above mentioned elements. NEVER in your post did you suggest that young and or males would be LESS intelligent.

WHERE did JM pull response to your post out off? He insulted you! I'm also in that age group, so I guess he insulted me too.

I would gander that JM knows he is purposly turning the show into something that targets young male audience and the older ESTABLISH audience has complained. Thus, he got all hyper and defensive to your post.

OMG--every time he blogs he states something utterly and totally stupid! First, the lemmings comment. Then, the older viewers think that young males are dumb comment.

Perhaps, JM should proof read his post for content more than anything else. Or hire himself a 30 year old female secretary to blog for him.
            My post was regarding that anonymous post at JM blog. And I loved how Mallozzi answered it. IMHO, the anonymous poster implied that SG-1 appealed to older female viewers because of the character relationships, and it seems to me that it was also implied that young and male viewers were less intelligent. I loved Mallozzi's answer. He didn't insult me or any other female viewer. His reply was sarcastic and well done. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
              Ah, 'top ten,' not 'fan favorites.' Also noted on their graph chart about 50 fans vote. Did I read that correctly?
              A better overview page than what Abydos already provided from that site is http://www.geos.tv/index.php/list/st...=mean&mord=asc where First Strike currently is first place with a total of 16(!) votes. We should wait for the general viewers who (1) didn't download the episode just because they love the show so much and (2) don't rate everything 10/10 just because it has the name "Stargate" in it. The other episodes in that list with 100+ votes sound at least somewhat representative. At the same time, I think that First Strike will rather be at the top in the list than at the bottom, when the time comes. Just not first place.

Originally posted by Night Spring View Post
              I've noticed that Joe often snips the questions when answering them, especially if they are longish.
              And I'm very grateful for that. That could mean JM misses the point sometimes (which, who could blame him, he sometimes even does with unsnipped questions), but all in all that means less work on my part ("what the heck does the questioner want") and more to-the-point answers from Joe. At least that's how I prefer it, but I'd read the question-answer part just the same if this wasn't the case.
              No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
              (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

It looks like GEOS isn't something that should be taken seriously by anyone in charge...

At least not for Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by sgeureka View Post
                  A better overview page than what Abydos already provided from that site is http://www.geos.tv/index.php/list/st...=mean&mord=asc where First Strike currently is first place with a total of 16(!) votes. We should wait for the general viewers who (1) didn't download the episode just because they love the show so much and (2) don't rate everything 10/10 just because it has the name "Stargate" in it. The other episodes in that list with 100+ votes sound at least somewhat representative. At the same time, I think that First Strike will rather be at the top in the list than at the bottom, when the time comes. Just not first place.
                  The irony, considering WOO being mentioned int he original question, is that this episode itself doesn't appear in the site's top 10 for SG1
                  Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                  Yes, I am!
                  sigpic
                  Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                  Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                  Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                    It looks like GEOS isn't something that should be taken seriously by anyone in charge...

At least not for Atlantis.
                    so your say that the top episodes at TV.com should be taken seriously in charge, because at the moment "The Return Part 2" is first, and "First Strike" is number 2, the gap between them is 0.2.
                    http://www.tv.com/stargate-atlantis/show/11415/top.html

And please know that this only takes into count:
                    -British Viewers who have seen it
                    -Canadians Viewers who have seen it
                    -Americans who are unwilling to wait until April to see it, so they pirate it ().

As soon as it airs on Sci-Fi, then the scores will change very seriously.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                      The irony, considering WOO being mentioned int he original question, is that this episode itself doesn't appear in the site's top 10 for SG1
                      LOL. Just LOL. (I had typed up a full paragraph for this, but LOL covers this by far. )

ETA:
                      so your say that the top episodes at TV.com should be taken seriously in charge.
                      IMO, TPTB shouldn't take any "statistical results" (extra air quotes) seriously. Only the Nielsen ratings matter (but not for "quality"), the rest is just fans trying to work out for themselves what episodes were good and what wasn't.

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."

Comment

Come to think of it, Joe sidestepped the question, which was (emphasis added):
                        “Is there an episode in Atlantis that you think could be a fan favorite as Window of Opportunity is the SG1?”
                        The question was asking for *Joe's* opinion about which episode *he* thought could be a fan favorite, and instead, he pointed toward some fan-voting website.
                        Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
                        Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
                        -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Originally posted by Night Spring View Post
                          Come to think of it, Joe sidestepped the question, which was (emphasis added):
                          “Is there an episode in Atlantis that you think could be a fan favorite as Window of Opportunity is the SG1?”
                          The question was asking for *Joe's* opinion about which episode *he* thought could be a fan favorite, and instead, he pointed toward some fan-voting website.
                          Hypothetically speakling, if someone asked me what I think the best country ever is, I'd say Germany and point to a fan website where all countries are listed by the maximum speed limit on highways. Or I'd say the US and give a link to a website where the best (fastest) TV stations are listed by fans. Or France with a link to a cheese website, of course fan-ranked. It just means that I'm not alone with my choice. And I have many favorites, so why not go with the one that you most likely seem to agree.

JM's favorite episode might be "Irresistible" (telling from what TPTB and other cast&crew said about this ep before it aired, this wouldn't be too out there) but he'd get whacked immediately and accused of XYZ.

But an interesting notice anyway, Night Spring.

Comment

so your say that the top episodes at TV.com should be taken seriously in charge, because at the moment "The Return Part 2" is first, and "First Strike" is number 2, the gap between them is 0.2.
                            http://www.tv.com/stargate-atlantis/show/11415/top.html

And please know that this only takes into count:
                            -British Viewers who have seen it
                            -Canadians Viewers who have seen it
                            -Americans who are unwilling to wait until April to see it, so they pirate it ().

As soon as it airs on Sci-Fi, then the scores will change very seriously.
                            Well, on principle, I don't agree with any one fansite being the source of measurement for fan appreciation, simply because different fans play at different places. The same goes for appreciation of characters, certain PTB, etc.

I don't think numbers can be denied, but didn't prion say that only 50 people had participated in the vote for "First Strike?" I haven't gotten a chance to check it out myself, but I don't think that's a very good amount of participation from the fans really.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                              Well, on principle, I don't agree with any one fansite being the source of measurement for fan appreciation, simply because different fans play at different places. The same goes for appreciation of characters, certain PTB, etc.

I don't think numbers can be denied, but didn't prion say that only 50 people had participated in the vote for "First Strike?" I haven't gotten a chance to check it out myself, but I don't think that's a very good amount of participation from the fans really.
                              Okay for the record, on GEOS (where First Strike is currently #1), 16 people participated (1 person got their vote excluded). On TV.com (where First Strike is 2nd), 110 people participated.
                              sigpic

Comment

Okay for the record, on GEOS (where First Strike is currently #1), 16 people participated (1 person got their vote excluded). On TV.com (where First Strike is 2nd), 110 people participated.
                                Oh, I see now. Thanks. Yeah, those numbers aren't high enough to consider them much of a measurement in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X