Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
    "Oh, thanks to all the fans over at Gateworld who have taken the time to create threads in my honor. Special mention should be made of poster minigeek who’s thread “Fan opinion has ZERO impact on storytelling, Mallozzi says” is interesting if not misleading given that I never said these words attributed to me. In the spirit of fairplay, I have started an alternate blog titled “I eat small puppies, minigeek says” which can be found here: http://ieatsmallpuppiesminigeeksays.wordpress.com/"
    I'll be juvenile and say 'Can I say "PWNED"?'

Several people (maybe 50 percent of the posters) in the ZERO IMPACT thread pointed out errors in reasoning from the get-go. It's not like Joe is saying something new here. But if some "fans"** think they can claim whatever they want and speak for TPTB because those can't defend themselves, then they forgot about Joe.

But it's nice to hear Joe is having (subtle) fun with those (false) accusations as well. He's had experience with this for years.

And I see one of the quotes he took from Prion were from *this* thread here, but his "JMallozzi" gw account still displays a "last visited" date that's a year old. Ooops. Never mistake unused accounts for people not reading here anymore.

**quotation marks because they think they are fans but don't seem to behave this way concerning common politeness
    Last edited by sgeureka; 24 February 2007, 04:03 AM.
    No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
    (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Originally posted by sgeureka View Post

And I see one of the quotes he took from Prion were from *this* thread here, but his "JMallozzi" gw account still displays a "last visited" date that's a year old. Ooops. Never mistake unused accounts for people not reading here anymore.
      Oh, I dunno about you, but I'd think stuff that's posted here and would make the poster embarrassed when being read by anyone, executive producers or not, shouldn't be posted in the first place...

OH, and I msut say, regarding JM's "humble day" comment from several days ago - he should start feeling better. Arrogant or not, the man is at least behind 6 years of a television show that lasted 10. I've recently read some Tim Kring (Heroes exec. producer) interviews.... and man, he's way worse than anything that ever came out of JM's mouth...
      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
      Yes, I am!
      sigpic
      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I just love Joe's wit. He is seriously funny.

"Oh, thanks to all the fans over at Gateworld who have taken the time to create threads in my honor. Special mention should be made of poster minigeek who’s thread “Fan opinion has ZERO impact on storytelling, Mallozzi says” is interesting if not misleading given that I never said these words attributed to me. In the spirit of fairplay, I have started an alternate blog titled “I eat small puppies, minigeek says” which can be found here: http://ieatsmallpuppiesminigeeksays.wordpress.com/"
        Funny? I think he's embarassing.

Minigeeks thread was set up in response to quotes put up on the internet from an interview Joe took part in. Seeing as the text was put in quotes one would assume without evidence to the contrary these were Joe's words. Minigeek set up a thread in response to this.

Perhaps Joe should actually contact the said author of the interview and have a snipe at them for misleading people rather than having a rather nasty snipe at an unwitting reader.

Comment

I just love Joe's wit. He is seriously funny.

Oh that's brilliant. Joe is fantastic.
          'Isn't it enough to see that the garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the end of it too?' - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Coley View Post
            Funny? I think he's embarassing.

Minigeeks thread was set up in response to quotes put up on the internet from an interview Joe took part in. Seeing as the text was put in quotes one would assume without evidence to the contrary these were Joe's words. Minigeek set up a thread in response to this.

Perhaps Joe should actually contact the said author of the interview and have a snipe at them for misleading people rather than having a rather nasty snipe at an unwitting reader.
            (I don't want this to be the start of a JM vs. minigeek fight, or to ridicule either one, but I'll post my opinion on this anyway for clarification. )

I don't think minigeek intended it, but her starting that thread sounded a lot like that thread existed only to bash JM. Yes, she quoted JM's comments, but her spin on his words and then to emphasize the word "zero" did exactly what JM seemingly finds so funny. He never said "zero" - he said "not really" (exact quote: "don’t really have an impact"). Huge difference, just like saying "I don't need much sleep" and "I never sleep". While I agree that JM's impact sentence alone can be ambiguous, the Chicago Tribune author quoted a full paragraph. Minigeek snipped that and said what she wanted to say (which is her right). But by doing that, *she* did the misleading work here.

Then she (along with some/a few others) largely ignored what other posters said (who provided alternate takes of JM's sentences and quoted JM from other sources) to take the confusion out of there. What happened to "when in doubt, assume good faith"? Oh yeah right, because if The Fans[tm] did that it would mean they would follow TPTB blindly into death.

JM has answered much fanmail from fans who want further explanations, in much detail. But I guess we cannot take those extra answers as facts as they *clearly* contradict what JM has said before. [/sarcasm]

Now, who is more likely to have embarrassed themselves?

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."

Comment

(I don't want this to be the start of a JM vs. minigeek fight, or to ridicule either one, but I'll post my opinion on this anyway for clarification. )

I don't think minigeek intended it, but her starting that thread sounded a lot like that thread existed only to bash JM. Yes, she quoted JM's comments, but her spin on his words and then to emphasize the word "zero" did exactly what JM seemingly finds so funny. He never said "zero" - he said "not really" (exact quote: "don’t really have an impact"). Huge difference, just like saying "I don't need much sleep" and "I never sleep". While I agree that JM's impact sentence alone can be ambiguous, the Chicago Tribune author quoted a full paragraph. Minigeek snipped that and said what she wanted to say (which is her right). But by doing that, *she* did the misleading work here.

Then she (along with some/a few others) largely ignored what other posters said (who provided alternate takes of JM's sentences and quoted JM from other sources) to take the confusion out of there. What happened to "when in doubt, assume good faith"? Oh yeah right, because if The Fans[tm] did that it would mean they would follow TPTB blindly into death.

JM has answered much fanmail from fans who want further explanations, in much detail. But I guess we cannot take those extra answers as facts as they *clearly* contradict what JM has said before. [/sarcasm]

Now, who is more likely to have embarrassed themselves?

You're not starting an argument - you make very valid points.

Yes I agree there was an assumption on Minigeeks part - but to me reading Joe quotes I took it to mean that he was expressing that he doesn't take any notice - because his answer is a negative. If someone said to me "Do you want to go down to the beach" and I responded "No not really" It would mean no!!! I think that is the way unsurprisingly (granted rightly or wrongly) Minigeek has interpreted his words. Though I agree with you maybe it isn't certain!

I think minigeek wanted to start the thread to discuss this - not to bash Joe (when in doubt assume good faith right?).

Mini starting that thread meant no insult or meaness at all. Yet Joe has uneccessarily been mean back.

I admit his humour is rather drole but the meaness I find unkind and embarassing. If he at least accepted that his statement was a bit ambiguous that would have been better. But he decided to ridicule Minigeek via humour I really don't think it an appropriate way to behave. I don't see Minigeek ridiculing him?!

If people want to post his comment here and laugh go ahead but if you stand by your own comment "When in doubt assume good faith" then you should be rather disapointed at Joe as well as Minigeek??!!

Just to be clear, though I really don't like JM style and responses at all, I equally do not like the the fact that some fans are rude and abusive to him. He has put up with comment that is way out of line.

I don't think though he should just be so snarkily rude to everyone who questions his actions or motives or those who fall foul of his very less than clear interview responses.
              Last edited by Coley; 24 February 2007, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Just as an aside, I only briefly read minigeeks thread.

I do not agree that writers should take account of the fans. Though it would be nice if they were sensitive to some issues.

I see it more an Exec Producers role to worry about he fan base, the direction of a show, the quality of the writing and the show getting renewed. Someone tell me If I have got that wrong - I'm sure someone other than the writer has this role anyway.

So his interview comment didn't annoy me at all and has no bearing on my postings here

Comment

I think minigeek wanted to start the thread to discuss this - not to bash Joe (when in doubt assume good faith right?).

Mini starting that thread meant no insult or meaness at all. Yet Joe has uneccessarily been mean back.

I admit his humour is rather drole but the meaness I find unkind and embarassing. If he at least accepted that his statement was a bit ambiguous that would have been better. But he decided to ridicule Minigeek via humour I really don't think it an appropriate way to behave. I don't see Minigeek ridiculing him?!

If people want to post his comment here and laugh go ahead but if you stand by your own comment "When in doubt assume good faith" then you should be rather disapointed at Joe as well as Minigeek??!!
                  You see, that's where I disagree. (I'll now say what I consider to be appropriate and polite behavior, but everybody has their own interpretation of what's appropriate.)

If she really wanted to discuss this very subject (i.e. pros and cons), she should have chosen a less confronting thread title, like "Mallozzi's statement about fan impact in a new Chicago Tribune article". But she didn't. First blow to "when in doubt". It would also have helped if she actually quoted him right. Second blow.

Then most of her (maybe only early?) posts including the first post had the "" smilie. I love to use those myself, mind you (usually in a combo to display it's all in good humor), but snarkiness is irritable by its very definition. Yes, it's (usually) not insulting, not mean, but at the same time not a great way to show you're unbiased, especially when your remarks are about a person and not a thing. Third blow.

By saying what he said in today's blog entry, Joe did not behave any more or less appropriate than minigeek. But she started it, thereby showing that it should also be fine if others did to her what she's doing to them. Fair is fair.

ETA:
                  I see it more an Exec Producers role to worry about he fan base, the direction of a show, the quality of the writing and the show getting renewed. Someone tell me If I have got that wrong - I'm sure someone other than the writer has this role anyway.
                  I agree and I think you got that right. Although JM is a writer *and* an exective producer, which makes the distinction somewhat difficult. But I'll defy anyone that says that he and the other PTB purposely write a show that no-one would watch.
                  Last edited by sgeureka; 24 February 2007, 08:12 AM.

Comment

You see, that's where I disagree. (I'll now say what I consider to be appropriate and polite behavior, but everybody has their own interpretation of what's appropriate.)

If she really wanted to discuss this very subject (i.e. pros and cons), she should have chosen a less confronting thread title, like "Mallozzi's statement about fan impact in a new Chicago Tribune article". But she didn't. First blow to "when in doubt". It would also have helped if she actually quoted him right. Second blow.

Then most of her (maybe only early?) posts including the first post had the "" smilie. I love to use those myself, mind you (usually in a combo to display it's all in good humor), but snarkiness is irritable by its very definition. Yes, it's (usually) not insulting, not mean, but at the same time not a great way to show you're unbiased, especially when your remarks are about a person and not a thing. Third blow.

By saying what he said in today's blog entry, Joe did not behave any more or less appropriate than minigeek. But she started it, thereby showing that it should also be fine if others did to her what she's doing to them. Fair is fair.

ETA:I agree and I think you got that right. Although JM is a writer *and* an exective producer, which makes the distinction somewhat difficult. But I'll defy anyone that says that he and the other PTB purposely write a show that no-one would watch.

I think Minigeek has accepted that the thread title was not right and asked it to be changed.

The difference between Joe and Minigeek was intent.

No one was laughing at Joe due to the thread title - the thread had some quite differing opinion in - which is good. I didn't notice anything snarky - though as I said I just skimmed. If Joe's comments were misunderstood they wouldn't have been misunderstood deliberatley.

Joe's title was designed to take the proverbial.

Minigeek wanted to have a thread which discussed Joe's comments and yes comments she doesn't agree with.

However as we are obviously not going to agree on this point - at least we can say we have remained cordial to each other - which is how things should be on these threads.

On your last point the sad thing is that they have written a show that previous fans now do not want to watch. I don't think deliberatley but their direction on SG1 was a huge risk - which didn't pay off. Having said that we don't really know for sure who wanted to change the direction of SG1 - May have had nothing to do with the people I suspect at all.

Decision making compromised I think
                    Last edited by Coley; 24 February 2007, 09:09 AM. Reason: Ooops1

Comment

Oh and apparently Minigeek thought Joe's blog entry was hilarious as well. So I'm going to have a stiff drink and chill out a bit

Looks like the embarassment is on me!! Doh!!

Comment

Ah yes, the vicious circle is still going strong. Joe take a dig at fans, fans take a dig at Joe, Joe responds, fans respond, riposte, counter-riposte, counter-counter-riposte...

How's that fourth season coming, Joe?

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                            Yes, he's a provocateur all right. It's part of his charm.
                            Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu View Post
                              Yes, he's a provocateur all right. It's part of his charm.
                              well, he's refined his condescension to a fine art

Comment

Much as I enjoy it, this interactiveness between the fans and the shows is starting to weird me out. For example, ShadowMa'at, on visiting the 2005 Vancouver con) was shocked to find out that people involved in the shows, including some actors, knew her screen name and treated her as something of a mini-celebrity. Last year, she chided me for not using my screen name at the con. She said more people from the show would know me by my Gateworld name than by my real name (and I was a walk-on winner). That really gave me pause. Joe! Joe, are you here?

That said, the writers are just human beings, like all of us. I think that Joe gets just as much of a kick out of us talking about him as Minigeek probably got at being publicly teased by Joe.

Still, I suddenly feel like I'm being watched.
                                Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Working...
                                X