Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
    Wow. So much discussion. And all I really wanted to know was if Sheppard already had a backstory....
    We're People On Forums. You should have seen this coming! *pats anyways*
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
      We're People On Forums. You should have seen this coming! *pats anyways*
      *grin* No kidding! I'm just glad he answered. I can't imagine how busy his schedule must be. I think it's great that he takes the time to respond to fan questions. Kinda fun to hear all the behind-the-scenes stuff.
      sigpic
      Sig by Luciana
      My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
        Wow. So much discussion. And all I really wanted to know was if Sheppard already had a backstory....
        Pigs will fly before that happens. I say that so hopefully I can eat my words when we get an episode chockful of Sheppard backstory

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
        I don't get it. What do any of those things in the article have to do with Joe Mallozzi? It sounds like those are Sci-Fi Channel's responsibilities.
        He's discussed ratings enough in his blog that it applies

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...e-12-2007.html

No photos

June 12, 2007
          We had our visual effect spotting today for This Mortal Coil. “What, pray tell, is a visual effects spotting?”you may ask. Well, after the director and producer edits (in which the visual effects already proposed, planned, discussed, and set up have been clearly identified within the body of the episode) proceeding the shooting of the episode (in which the visual effects already proposed, planned and discussed are set up) following the visual effects meeting (in which an episode’s visual effects are planned and discussed) subsequent to the concept meeting (in which an episode’s visual effects are proposed), the producer, editor, and VFX supervisors gather in a tiny, darkened editing suite to debate the mess we’ve gotten ourselves into.

The editor will take us through each visual effects as it appears in the episode, from cinchy staff blasts to complex space battles. “The first shot is at 7:13,”the editor may say and bring up the shot onscreen. It’s a puddle pass-thru. Easy enough. “21:12 - McKay turns into a werewolf.” Ah, something a little meatier. Onscreen, the human McKay is standing there for some three seconds - then we cut to another three seconds of Werewolf McKay before cutting over to Teyla’s horrified reaction. We discuss the visual effect that is going to bridge the two McKay looks. Perhaps we’d like to go with a weird alien fluctuation, a morph that causes McKay’s features to melt like wax and reform. Or maybe it’s more of a transformative progression: whiskers sprouting, ears growing, fangs forming. Once we’re all on the same page, we decide on the very important length of the effect. Is six seconds long enough? Does the transformation need to be longer? Do we want to “add head” to the shot of a pre-werewolf McKay (when one “adds head”, one adds time to the beginning of the shot)? Or should we “add tail” to the shot of the full werewolf McKay (when one “adds tail”, one is adding time to the end of a shot)? Once we are all in agreement, we move on.

And so it goes, in that cramped little room, as we thrash out the finer details. Is the ship traveling from left to right or vice versa? Should we add an errant wraith blast to the shot of Ronon returning fire? Do we want to do a bit of a camera move on the matte shot (usually an establishing shot, like that of a distant wraith lab, in which a unique element - like said wraith lab - is superimposed on another image - like a surrounding forest for instance) to make it less static?

Depending on how many visual effects we’ve budgeted, the process can take anywhere from ten minutes to the better part of the day. On this day, we were only in there for an hour. Between now and the finished shot, the gang at VFX will drop by to show us the various stages of the shots in question, from wire-frame temps to flawless silver ships making the jump to hyperspace.

Boy. Can’t wait to see how werewolf McKay turns out. I’ll let you know.

Mailbag -

Ghirlandiao writes: “Is the second half episode that features an SG-1 character still being produced?”
          Answer: That‘s still the plan.

Anonymous #2 writes: “When do you expect to hear from Scifi about a season five?”Answer: Anytime between the Monday after the First Strike airs to mid-October.

Camy writes: “Regarding SGA, how were the ratings for Submersion?”Answer: There was an uptick for Submersion. Hopefully, it’s a trend that will continue over the final two episodes.

Anonymous #3 writes: “Even you admitted yourself the Shep/Weir was more popular than Shep/Teyla…”
          Answer: I did? Was it at the same time I admitted to the Kennedy assassination?

Salty writes: “Can you just sit back and enjoy a show for pure entertainment rather than analyzing production stuff?”Answer: I can honestly say that being both a writer and a producer has effectively negated almost any enjoyment I derive from watching film and television.

Alipeeps writes: “Can you tell us what episode is up next in the production order?”
          Answer: Miller’s Crossing.

Sazzat writes: “1) We heard that Connor Trinneer has been signed up for a couple of episodes in the back half of season 4...Any truth in that? 2) If it is true then how about the mysterious 'Rise of the Googlions' being a Michael story? It just sounds very bug like.
          3) And just wondered, we know 3 of the episodes that we'll be seeing Elizabeth. Can you tell us what the 4th unknown one is? 4) Could Carson's return be something to do with his ATA gene?

Answers: 1) It certainly sounds like something we might do. 2) Hey, that’s not a bad idea! What’s a Googlion again? 3) No can do. 4) It’s possible.

Anonymous #4 writes: “You seem not to answer too many qeustions about character of Rodney McKay. So here is mine. Can we expect some "dark turn" at his character, too?”Answer: We will definitely be seeing a more emotional side to Rodney this season. And, while his character will not be taking a dark turn, there will be dark moments ahead for McKay.

Anonymous #5 writes: “Regarding the new spin-off currently named Stargate Universe, Are you planning on writing or producing for said show or will you stick to only working on Atlantis?”
          Answer: At present, it’s way too early to speculate on what will be in production next year and what role I’ll be playing if any.

Comment

Wow, you're fast today! I didn't even get started on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              Wow, you're fast today! I didn't even get started on mine.
              Hey, just tripped over it at the right time

Comment

the only reason crusade only lasted for 13 eps was because TNT started to dictate plot and character and script and casting and costuming to JMS....who doesn't handle being given 'orders' well

they wnated him to change the show to something that it wasn't meant to be in the effort to make it 'better' and he didn't want to...so the show ended rather than be warped.

Kinda what COULD have happened to SG1 had the show's ptb said 'yeah, thanks but no thanks' to scifi's 'input'
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Someone on another forum, said that Joe M in his blog stated that Weir is confirmed for 4 episodes for Season 4. Is this true or not? If so, only 4? Well hopefully Martin Gero is writing those eps.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                    Someone on another forum, said that Joe M in his blog stated that Weir is confirmed for 4 episodes for Season 4. Is this true or not? If so, only 4? Well hopefully Martin Gero is writing those eps.
                    Yup, it's sad but true. She's only confirmed for 4 episodes and he won't reveal the name of the 4th episode. But he has said that all 4 episodes are in the first half of S4.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
                      Yup, it's sad but true. She's only confirmed for 4 episodes and he won't reveal the name of the 4th episode. But he has said that all 4 episodes are in the first half of S4.
                      Why am i thinking the worse is going to happen? I cannot believe this! The producers and the fans love this character and they are giving her the Ford treatment or even worse the Carson treatment.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                        Why am i thinking the worse is going to happen? I cannot believe this! The producers and the fans love this character and they are giving her the Ford treatment or even worse the Carson treatment.
                        Head on over to the GW Save Elizabeth Weir thread here: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...39466&page=202

We're doing everything we can to show how unhappy we are with their decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
                          Head on over to the GW Save Elizabeth Weir thread here: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...39466&page=202

We're doing everything we can to show how unhappy we are with their decision.

Thanks Suzotchka you've been very helpful. Well I have a loud voice on the sci-fi forums, So i am going to support Weir and a Season 5 as much as I can!! Thanks again!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            the only reason crusade only lasted for 13 eps was because TNT started to dictate plot and character and script and casting and costuming to JMS....who doesn't handle being given 'orders' well

they wnated him to change the show to something that it wasn't meant to be in the effort to make it 'better' and he didn't want to...so the show ended rather than be warped.

Kinda what COULD have happened to SG1 had the show's ptb said 'yeah, thanks but no thanks' to scifi's 'input'
                            I didn't know that Crusades' run was shortened because JMS refused to deal with the ham-fisted attempts of the suits to make it 'better'. Sounds like what happened with Andromeda, but with different results.

Andromeda's headwriter/co-creator, Robert Hewitt Wolfe, tried to balance working with the suits while maintaining the intregrity of his original vision for the show. Unfortunately, he was eventually fired because his vision for Andromeda was considered too confusing to the casual viewer. The irony is that as a casual viewer during Season 1, I had no problem understanding the show, however, after things were simplified in Season 3, I was as confused as hell.

That situation was my first glimpse into how TV execs make business/creative decisions and it remains an unsettling experience.

Robert Hewitt Wolfe Departs Andromeda
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Luciana

Comment

I thought RHW was dumped because Kevin Sorbo thought the plots were too confusing, but I guess it amounts to the same thing.

I don't remember when I stopped watching, but I know I caught a few of the eps (or parts of eps) set on that "stuck in somewhere" planet and didn't understand a single thing that was happening, so I gave up trying.

Comment

Spoiler:
                                Flawless silver ships!

I hope this is what I think it is....

Comment

Working...
                                X