Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To play Devils advocate for a moment - the reason SG-1 was cancelled and Atlantis and BSG survived was because they are cheaper shows to make

SG-1 is an old show - 10 years - factor in incremental pay rises to cast and crew every year, after 10 years that gets expensive
    sigpic

Comment

I realize your point that Atlantis and BSG are cheaper but that doesn't make up for quality and fanbase by a longshot. I have no doubt that BSG doesn't have a fraction of the fanbase as SG-1. That could easily be seen as it's ratings slumped after the announcement.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

its really silly to cancel a show based on ratings, gateworld is proof enough that stargate has fans from all over the world, who watch it and buy the DVD's, its annoying to base it simply on US ratings

Comment

Originally posted by jesserella View Post
          its really silly to cancel a show based on ratings, gateworld is proof enough that stargate has fans from all over the world, who watch it and buy the DVD's, its annoying to base it simply on US ratings
          It wasn't cancelled because of ratings, it was cancelled because MGM were charging more than Sci Fi were willing to pay. Sci Fi get no money from DVD sales so the world wide audience means nothing to them, and unfortunatly their contract with MGM makes sure that SG-1 can only premier on Sci Fi in the US, the only other option would be for a network outisde the US to offer to buy the series, but none did. Cancelling SG-1 was probably the right decision from Sci Fi's point of view, but blocking any other network getting it just seems petty to me, that's what really annoys me about how it was handled.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
            If you only counted season 8 & 9 then I'd agree, but personally I think season 10 has been one of the best seasons ever.
            IMO S8.5 & 10.5 were great. The quality was ridiculously inconsistent. I can only imagine it's due to their abnormal productions techniques. This is probably the only show on TV to have to share it's entire core production staff between 2 20ep shows.
            sigpic
            "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
            ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK View Post
              You got it all wrong. They just got rid of the big money guys and the transition worked.
              <snip>
              People forget taht SG-1 got a lot of people watching SciFi. I never watched the SciFi channel until SG-1 was on it. Then I got into Atlantis, (of course, thats a given)BSG and Dr. Who. Sense the cancellation I haven't watched anything ecept my Stargates when they came back on after there SIX MONTH HIATUS.
              by "big money guys" are you referring to RDA (and maybe DSD)? if so, you're right. however they brought in three other Name actors (BB, CB, BeauB). also how did you judge that "the transition worked"? because to me, the ratings for s9 started rather high and then fell. that looks like it didn't work to me.
              i believe you're correct that Stargate put SciFi on the map. but as for abandoning it because of the cancellation, that behavior is usually only found among fanatics (a very small segment of the fan base). in short, Stargate put SciFi on the map, but it doesn't keep it there.
              Originally posted by Ravroz View Post
              I realize your point that Atlantis and BSG are cheaper but that doesn't make up for quality and fanbase by a longshot.
              i don't get it; does a good-quality fan base put more people in the seats than a bad quality one?
              Cancelling SG-1 was probably the right decision from Sci Fi's point of view, but blocking any other network getting it just seems petty to me, that's what really annoys me about how it was handled.
              i agree that between the falling ratings and the rising cost that cancellation was probably necessary. and i agree that they could have used a little more tact. but AFAIK, most shows have that same non-release clause, so i don't see it as petty. why would SciFi help their competition?
              sigpic
              "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
              Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Dr. Who, they already changed the Dr. and the new one looks like a punk kid. You don't hange the main character in the US, it's suicide. O'Niell was different, he was on for ever and went home to his kid, it was his choice and he still comes back for us. They basically gave him a promotion. It would be way different if they killed him off or changed him into a little kid. Wait a minute. I mean changed him into a little kid for good.
                Just to point out that Dr. Who isn't a US show and changing the Dr is kinda integral to the whole character. You can't have the longest running Sci Fi show with the same actor

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith View Post
                  To play Devils advocate for a moment - the reason SG-1 was cancelled and Atlantis and BSG survived was because they are cheaper shows to make

SG-1 is an old show - 10 years - factor in incremental pay rises to cast and crew every year, after 10 years that gets expensive
                  BSG costs more then SG-1 to make and produce. The hole ep. is basically a money shot.
                  *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                  *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                  *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                  *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                  *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                  *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                  *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by Kira_dr View Post
                    Just to point out that Dr. Who isn't a US show and changing the Dr is kinda integral to the whole character. You can't have the longest running Sci Fi show with the same actor
                    Plus David Tenant makes a brilliant Doctor
                    sigpic

Comment

BSG costs more then SG-1 to make and produce. The hole ep. is basically a money shot.
                      If that truly is the case then why would Sci Fi choose to cancel such a popular show? They completely screwed up their lineup on Fridays and that had nothing to do with the storyline but with very bad management. They wanted to end the show point blank. Sadly there is nothing that we can do about it though. So for now I will look forward to the movies and the next series.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

can you cite that? because i was under the impression that TPTB had said if the ratings were high enough and the price low enough (profit margin-->SG more money than BSG), they wouldn't have been canceled. i can't guarantee the quote at the moment, so if you link yours, i'll agree.
                        sigpic
                        "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                        Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

If BSG costs more than SG-1 (which I doubt), why would they cancel SG-1, a series that gets better ratings? Unless the DVD sales make up for it, I suppose that's possible.

Comment

If BSG costs more than SG-1 (which I doubt), why would they cancel SG-1, a series that gets better ratings? Unless the DVD sales make up for it, I suppose that's possible.
                            I also doubt that BSG costs that much more than either Stargate. BSG may have bigger name actors and possibly more expensive CGI, but they do more set filming than on-location outdoor shots like Stargate. Established sets are cheaper.

I swear, I remember reading somewhere that BSG's brisk DVD sales were a factor in it getting renewed for a fourth season. Too bad Atlantis DVDs don't factor into its revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                              it's been great ten years with Stargate.You're not alone who feel depressed.It was a stupid solution to end SG-1.We still have Atlantis, but honestly I like more SG1.We will have two movies in this year.But it's not the same
                              It has been a great ten seasons for the show. I just feel it could have gone on a little while longer. So I totally am depressed as well. It was a dumb decision IMO to cancel the show, and I'll never fully understand. But that's life.

We have the two SG-1 movies on the way, and I just have to look forward to them. And also, hope that they do well in sales, thus making future SG-1 movies possible.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Kira_dr View Post
                                Well, in America we don't like the main character changing to a little boy and we love seeing our favorite actor acting and not being changed into a little boy.

Thats why it doesn't make it in the states.
                                *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                                *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                                *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                                *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                                *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                                *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                                *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Working...
                                X