Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A viewer noted that "take some cancellation in Atlantis continuing. I wish there was more I could do to save my favorite show but I'm all out of ideas, short of some kind of hunger strike."

Two things are becoming evident re the Sci-Fi channel as well as TV dramas overall: Shows are now being produced to take advantage of an initial high ratings spurt, and seem to be designed to have no life after that period.

NBC was a bit leading edge in this regard (and not coincidentally NBC is a Universal property along with the Sci-Fi channel) with its Surface show a year ago, which seemed to have a one-season-only arc. Firefly appears to be another example of lead-on-the-viewers-then-dump-em -for-another-ratings-burst-via-yet-another-short-lived-show programming methodology.

The second trend is to goad on of fans to get them fired up about "saving" the shows, so as to cynically build a secondary market for a "TV movie or two" afterward, as well as sell syndication deals.

We can't likely save SG-1, but as viewers we can adopt a systematic method worldwide to defeat the cynical manipulative marketing that is used to get us to watch long enough for ratings spikes before shows are dropped. And that is to be selective about the shows we watch and perhaps spread our viewing time around, in part by watching our shows via methods that don't feed the advertising ratings machines. Use your digital recorder, borrow a DVD disc (legally bought) to watch the show, watch a friend's time-shifted VHS tape or DVD-time-shifted -recorded disc, etc.

And moreover, don't fall into the trap of humoring the "save the show" marketing, which only encourages this kind of spike-the-ratings-then-kill-the-show mentality at Sci-Fi channel.

This approach by Sci-Fi is becoming common with a lot of major Pay-TV and specialty dramas; and there are signs the actor community isn't too pleased with the trend, if actress Blythe Danner's Emmy dig at the cancellation of the series Huff is any indication.

If we want to be effective viewers in this regard we should perhaps pen simple letters to our cable companies, noting that the that programming antics of pay-TV channels makes us doubtful as long-run customers. Cable firms already know this pain through customer churn; letting them know the WHY of this churn could move mountains in the right direction.

Pay-TV channels and specialty channels are already compensating for viewer churn by now splitting seasons of some shows across two time periods--and there is sneaky old NBC at this game on network TV with LOST this season!

Personally I've lost a lost of enthusiasm for the second SG-1 series because of the way the first was handled.

cc: My Cable TV company

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
      There's so many, I'll just add my own. Sure it adds to the problem, but at least I won't have to worry about going of the topic of the thread.

I blame the Ori, sorry, they never worked as villains for me. ANYone else would have: Jaffa, a single Gou'ald, some Wraith from Atlantis. Don't get me wrong, I hope the show gets saved or comes back as a movie.

Hopefully they'll finish the season without a cliffhanger. There's plenty of history that a movie could draw from. I think Ba'al would be a perfect movie villain.

I think Michael Shanks should move over to Atlantis, and hopefully they won't feel the need to move the Ori over.
      Uh, no. Ori are perfect. The show got canceled not because of some in-show villain, but because of a real-world villain. Sci-Fi Channel is to blame, and the reason I won't watch their channel again.

I hope they get cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva View Post
        Uh, no. Ori are perfect. The show got canceled not because of some in-show villain, but because of a real-world villain. Sci-Fi Channel is to blame, and the reason I won't watch their channel again.

I hope they get cancelled.
        Ori are not perfect. Finally i have seen something from post- Goa'uld era so I join the disscussion. Despite the ratings maybe weren´t reason for cancelling we can´t deny their decreasing and changes were probably most responsible for it.

Deal with it people, important appeal of Stargate was the fact that villains were connected to our culture (loosely though If you know the mythology) and were so individualistic that more iteresting than simple "us vs. them", theme of alliancies and enemy´s inter-camp fight was used. Ori are a)absolutely united, b)not connected to our culture besides of some analogies of it´s traits. But I doubt majority of viewers were interested in "analogisms".
        How much these analogies are actually clever is of course matter of ´debate.

Antother interesting thing is that what mentioned kmiller1610 in another thread - their power s much more "Fantasy -feeling" than "sci-fi feeling". By the way I actually like Fantasy but in series as this it is imply embarassing (also the whole Arthurian lore is strange to be connected with sci-fi as well).

Comment

hi all, i think its obvious why this is happening to the show and thats the loss of RDA i'm sure i'm not the first to say it. The team have lost their spirit, the Ori storyline has its good points but isnt the best, anything to do with Merlin shouldnt be in SG1, and why is Vala a member of SG1? ok a recurring character but why on the team?.
          I think the only way SG1 would ever get a season 11 is with Jack O'Neill, to get the spirit back and some genuinely scary enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by snakeskinner View Post
            hi all, i think its obvious why this is happening to the show and thats the loss of RDA i'm sure i'm not the first to say it. The team have lost their spirit, the Ori storyline has its good points but isnt the best, anything to do with Merlin shouldnt be in SG1, and why is Vala a member of SG1? ok a recurring character but why on the team?.
            I think the only way SG1 would ever get a season 11 is with Jack O'Neill, to get the spirit back and some genuinely scary enemies.
            I think snakeskinner has it right. The show lost its spark when it lost RDA. And with the focus so much on the new characters in S9, it was too much change for most fans to take all at once. So the people who aren't obsessive about Stargate (folks who don't bother to come to places like GW, for instance) just found something else to watch. TPTB thought they'd make up the loss with Farscape fans (Yes, I liked that show too), but apparently, there weren't enough of them to offset the core fan loss.

Plus...many fans want to see Sam & Jack end up together...and they're still stringing us along on that too. Shippers are a large part of the fan base, and many were driven away by the lack of resolution. IMHO....

Comment

www.stargatesg1.com/

it sill has 11 there, maybe going on a other network or it's just a propaganda to get people to watch it. or a movie is going to be shout. but knowing the witters it will be back like Jake O'Neill "retied" and then go back to SGC I think it will be back in a year my guest

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                I hope they use the closing of Cheyenne Mountain and shutdown the base.
                I don't think they do that if Stargate continues through spin offs and movie i think they should try to stay true the Orig movie..on that subject what does everyone think they're gonna do for the orig movie sequel?

Comment

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Aug...argate,00.html

Comment

Heya

I was horrified at the cancellation of stargate but I can see why it has gone downhill. I am seeing stuff pasted all over the internet in regard to how people dislike the new cast line-up and the fact that Richard Dean Anderson has left.

Personally I love the character of Vala but I am not keen on Cam. Jack is top leader of SG1 any day! I think we have to realize though that the actors dont leave the show out of spite and its still stargate however the characters are chopping and changing. I liked Jacob, I loved Janet, I loved Jack but I don't feel because they are gone that our support for years of entertainment should falter. I will follow the show to the very end and I will do exactly the same for Atlantis!

Just my little opinion there

Smiles

Sesa

xxx

I am a Stargate Fan Forever!

I am a Sam/Jack Shipper for life

Teal'c has a cookie dough center! tee hee!!

Check out my collection of Stragte Graphics!

I am totally addicted to msn! anyone who fancies a new m8, just add me and I'm open for a chat!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
                      I think snakeskinner has it right. The show lost its spark when it lost RDA. And with the focus so much on the new characters in S9, it was too much change for most fans to take all at once. So the people who aren't obsessive about Stargate (folks who don't bother to come to places like GW, for instance) just found something else to watch. TPTB thought they'd make up the loss with Farscape fans (Yes, I liked that show too), but apparently, there weren't enough of them to offset the core fan loss.

Plus...many fans want to see Sam & Jack end up together...and they're still stringing us along on that too. Shippers are a large part of the fan base, and many were driven away by the lack of resolution. IMHO....
                      Yeah, but the studio is interested in the VIEWERS - the Nielsen viewers - and they lost a sizable chunk of them, so the ratings went down, and the advertising rates went down and the cost of making the show went up. So, they weren't making money off the show anymore. Simple economics.

And the show was, face it, old. Yes, ten years old is a dinosaur in terms of TV lifespan, and audiences get bored. They're off watching something else that catches their fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by snakeskinner View Post
                        I'm with you on those points. Sword in stone, King Arthur, and stargate? huh? Although the Camelot scene of Sam free floating in space watching the Ori battle was fantastic.... nonetheless, (I must not be distracted by awesome special effects)- the arthurian storyline is completely OT! TPTB are in the wrong thread

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post

I find it strange that I liked BB and CB in Farscape, but I do not like them in SG1. I try to like them out of loyalty since they made me laugh in their Farscape alter egos, but they do not fit, or were not written to fit the SG1 team.

I do not believe shows have inevitable ends after 10 years, yes, most things are cyclical - corporations, the stock market, etc. All things have beginnings, middles, and ends, however, I think lack of fresh creativity was the death knell for SG1. How can you put a time limit on new ideas? New stories are written all the time, but either the current writers need a paradigm shift, or new writers need to be recruited.... IMHO, of course, this is just TV hehe.
                        Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                        Quint Studer

Comment

I have hashed this over and over in my mind and only 2 reason come to mind for cancellation.
                          1) They show did not bring enough cash in.
                          2)The producers and actors are stinking rich and don't need any mor emoney.

I feel liek a dagger has gone through my heart. But, nothing I can do.

oh well, thank you to al those that made the show possible..

and thank you for continuing with Atlantis...
                          My Story:
                          http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/10...%80%99s-story/

Comment

argh! if SG1 is really cancelled, then that is the way it must be. however, I certainly hope it moves to another network. Scifis' programming has been horribly gash the past year and a half. many factors contributed to the current drab state. but we shouldn't focus on those. instead, we must focus on why SG1 has been such a force for the better part of a decade.

some say that Atlantis will continue on but who are you kidding SG1 spawned SGA it too will drop off because of ratings or the trend of bring a show on for a year then cancel it and hope nobody remembers. ultimately SG1 will continue on another network or do a major motion picture which was their goal, originally, at the end of season 7. shame on Scifi and the shows they air. at least GW will be a haven for fans.

Comment

I think it is because they already had the first two series to establish the go'auld as bad guys so series 9 was repetetive with the ori. Also not enough action and the two stargate sequel movies made by the director of the first movie make sg-1 seem insignificant.

key members of parliament, key. The minds behind every military, diplomatic and covert operation in the galaxy and you put them in a room with a psychic.

sigpic

thanks to stef for making this banner

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                                I find it strange that I liked BB and CB in Farscape, but I do not like them in SG1. I try to like them out of loyalty since they made me laugh in their Farscape alter egos, but they do not fit, or were not written to fit the SG1 team.
                                I totally agree.
                                WHAT DO YOU MEAN, NO BLUE JELLO?

Comment

Working...
                                X