Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Devlin Mocks TV Series in Directors commentary?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bentley2003
    I watched the movie the other day, for the umptenth time, and it really doesn't look like there's supposed to be a sequel... the tell tell "THE END" at the end sorta hinted that it wasn't supposed to happen...
    It was always intended for a series of movies but it didn't happen. Independence Day was basically the premise for the sequel apparently... The aliens come to earth, that is.

As for "THE END"... Early 90's action movie cliché?

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Ruaumoko
      Its only natural that he'd be not too happy with the TV series, I mean his project was taken away from him.

I hope he does end up making the 2 sequels. So what if they don't match up with the series? Alternate realities anyone?
      Nothing was taken from him. He had to sign away those rights. It makes me crazy when I hear people complain about a deal that originally they were quite happy with. He needs to get over it.
      "You cannot reason with your own heart;
      it has it's own laws and beats about things
      which the intellect scorns."
      - Mark Twain -

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
        It was always intended for a series of movies but it didn't happen. Independence Day was basically the premise for the sequel apparently... The aliens come to earth, that is.

As for "THE END"... Early 90's action movie cliché?
        Actually the way I heard it, the premise of the original SG novels were the film ideas...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

In fact, MGM let him and the other stargate creator make a different TV show, but it only lasted 8 episodes, can't remember what it was called
          Wormhole Extreme?

Seriously, it's never been a secret that Devlin has always been bitter and twisted about the fact that SG1 demolished his hopes to continue the series his own way. And I guess you can't blame the guy - here he was wanting his vision to progress the way he wanted it and the TPTB said, "Sorry, we don't like your ideas, so we're going to ditch them and make up our own show."

OTOH, that's the wonderful world of TV for you. This is the way the cookie crumbles and most of those who work within that world figure that out and learn to cope/live with it. Or as Sela put it:

Nothing was taken from him. He had to sign away those rights. It makes me crazy when I hear people complain about a deal that originally they were quite happy with. He needs to get over it.
          Amen.

Anyway, it's the reason I've never watched the commentary on the movie DVD. Because I have no wish to sit and listen to Devlin bleating on about how his sequel would have been better.

Albion
          Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by wako!
            Devlin refused a on-screen credit, he didn't like the way the TV series was made. His vision of stargate was different from the TV show. In fact, MGM let him and the other stargate creator make a different TV show, but it only lasted 8 episodes, can't remember what it was called though. I'm sure that is in the GW FAQ but I can't find it.
            I guess he was mocking it because he excepted it to flop and he wanted to get out of the firing line.
            Dean Devlin only made two TV series in the 90's and since I'm assuming you're not talking about the Godzilla one, the only other is "The Visitor".

Which was, in my opinion, a pretty decent show... Though I was never able to see the final episodes because SPACE changed it's air time to early morning.
            sigpic
            In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
              Anyway, it's the reason I've never watched the commentary on the movie DVD. Because I have no wish to sit and listen to Devlin bleating on about how his sequel would have been better.

Albion
              Same here. No matter if he admits it or not, I think he's just jealous of the overwhelming success of SG-1, and now SGA.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
              X