Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asgard, Avalon, Atlantis, Heliopolis...... and Shangri La?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard, Avalon, Atlantis, Heliopolis...... and Shangri La?

Shangri la, is a mystical harmonious valley, supposedly hidden in the Himalaya.... its also considered to be paradise, a sort of utopia.

TPTB are very intent on rewriting the mythologies of earth. they've touched on egyptian, norse, greco-roman, christian, arthurian... but they have stayed away from the asian ones... probably because they are not that well known, but shangri la is...

i think they should bring Shangri La into the mix as the largest of the flying cities, and i had a thought that, Shangri la is the location of the anti-ascended weapon. note, SL is not the weapon, merely the location of it. given that Atlantis is a very powerful city, it would follow that SL is an even more powerful one, perhaps one that is capable of establishing a galactic utopia, of sorts, one who's prime purpose is to create peace.

it is said that you cannot have peace without war, sometimes you need to eliminate certain..... things.... to gain peace, use the weapon in Shangri La to eliminate the threat and establish peace and paradise, for as long as you can.
    Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
    Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
    Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
    Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Shangri La is from a book written in the 30's, but it is based on the Tibetan Buddhist "Shambhala"- (Sanskrit term meaning "place of peace/tranquility/happiness".) Shambhala is believed to be a society where all the inhabitants are enlightened, centered on a capital city called Kalapa.

I always thought that Kheb kind of fitted the picture as thats were Jaffa went to become enlightened and ascended, that was only my interpretation though, not a hardcore fan who knows all about the show, just how I saw it, they didn't really run with the whole Kheb thing as much as i hoped...

but still yeah would be cool to see more eastern influence in the show.

Comment

ive always wanted shangra la to be touched on by the writers as an ancient strong hold
      Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ri'zla
        Shangri La is from a book written in the 30's, but it is based on the Tibetan Buddhist "Shambhala"- (Sanskrit term meaning "place of peace/tranquility/happiness".) Shambhala is believed to be a society where all the inhabitants are enlightened, centered on a capital city called Kalapa.

I always thought that Kheb kind of fitted the picture as thats were Jaffa went to become enlightened and ascended, that was only my interpretation though, not a hardcore fan who knows all about the show, just how I saw it, they didn't really run with the whole Kheb thing as much as i hoped...

but still yeah would be cool to see more eastern influence in the show.
        yeah, i know its from a book from last century, but its become popular enough, that one can consider it mythological or mythical

Comment

Actually, Joe Mallozzi alluded to this in his blog before he left.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
            Actually, Joe Mallozzi alluded to this in his blog before he left.
            joe ma-whozee?

Comment

the guy who directs stargate or writes it. or both i shoulda known that one

Comment

Joseph Mallozzi is an Executive Producer on Stargate.

Kids today...

Comment

horrible with names

Comment

I wouldn't mind at all them touching on the Shangri-La myth.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I thought the place on Paradise Lost was supposed to be Shangri-La?
                      http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
                        I thought the place on Paradise Lost was supposed to be Shangri-La?
                        i don't remember the episode, but i did read the synopsis, and i can see how you would think that.

but i think that if TPTB would bring Shangri La into the mix, they'd make it a tad bit more important and relevant than a long since dead Furling-inhabited planet.

not saying you're wrong, just that i'm holding out hope for SL to be brought in as more than that.

Comment

not only thet SG writters diden't use asian mythology, they also diden't use Tracian mythology (Zamolxis, Gebeleiziz, Bendis) and also other mythology from other cultures. All i saw of American mythology was when they were searching for the ancient healing device and the name of the god who hide teh device ther) , adn what abaut the Ameri-indians or native-americans

I loved Stargate from the begining, mostly because the used mythological creatures and gods.

Sarmisegetuza = Dacian capital of Tracks

Also, no1 mentioned Persepolis, Bara'dur and more babylonian tales .

Comment

Originally posted by Hecatomix
                            not only thet SG writters diden't use asian mythology, they also diden't use Tracian mythology (Zamolxis, Gebeleiziz, Bendis) and also other mythology from other cultures. All i saw of American mythology was when they were searching for the ancient healing device and the name of the god who hide teh device ther) , adn what abaut the Ameri-indians or native-americans

I loved Stargate from the begining, mostly because the used mythological creatures and gods.

Sarmisegetuza = Dacian capital of Tracks

Also, no1 mentioned Persepolis, Bara'dur and more babylonian tales .
                            obviously they can't use every mythology... but i think that they're going to stick with the more common ones, the ones that are either easily recognizable (ie Egypt, Greece, Norway) or one step below (ie Celtic, Teutonic, Mesopotamia) so your Tracian really wouldn't fit in...

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano
                              Shangri la, is a mystical harmonious valley, supposedly hidden in the Himalaya.... its also considered to be paradise, a sort of utopia.

TPTB are very intent on rewriting the mythologies of earth. they've touched on egyptian, norse, greco-roman, christian, arthurian... but they have stayed away from the asian ones... probably because they are not that well known, but shangri la is...

i think they should bring Shangri La into the mix as the largest of the flying cities, and i had a thought that, Shangri la is the location of the anti-ascended weapon. note, SL is not the weapon, merely the location of it. given that Atlantis is a very powerful city, it would follow that SL is an even more powerful one, perhaps one that is capable of establishing a galactic utopia, of sorts, one who's prime purpose is to create peace.

it is said that you cannot have peace without war, sometimes you need to eliminate certain..... things.... to gain peace, use the weapon in Shangri La to eliminate the threat and establish peace and paradise, for as long as you can.
                              I to would like to see this, but I do have to disagree about it being a more powerful city than Atlantis. The show really evolved into finding the lost city, the greatest accomplishment of the ancients. To find a city that is even more powerful, or full of more wonders, would contradict the direction of both shows. I believe that I speak for more than myself when I say the while the episode The Tower from SGA was a good episode, has to feel a little let down, as to how wonderful Atlantis really is.
                              You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

Working...
                              X