This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV and DVD Differences

Hi. I have only ever seen SG1 on Skyone in the UK. I would like to know the differences in the content in the box sets, as I have noted many of them contain a 15 rating.

I have seen the DVD edition of 101 with its 18 rated boobies, but what is the main differences on the edits (as I assume the TV day time edits are cut down to Pg or U rating) between the TV and DVD editions?

I don't know how the UK rating system works but there are some ocassional editing differences here in the US too. For instance in the pilot Episode, Children of the Gods, the DVD contains a full frontal nude (not sexual really) and breast shots of Sha're as she is being prepared to be taken as a host. It's probably the most objectional scene in the series from a mother's POV and does not air on the normal TV showing (Remembering that SG was originally designed and aired on ShowTime which was not under the same kind of constraints as American network TV.) Not much else is different between the DVD and the normal TV airings of the epi other wise. The only other edits in the series I can remember usually deal with an occassional and very rare bad word or two. This is a PG forum so I won't list them but they aren't that particularly bad IMHO and fit well within the needs of the episode. They are not in anyway excessive or unwarrented. The commentaries also occassional will contain a word or two. I'm thinking specifically of the commentary for Death Knell but that isn't really bad words as much as it is... toilet humor. I don't normally like that sort of thing but found myself laughing right along with Micheal and Chris at PDs exposition.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks. The worst TV version I have seen are on UK's Channel 4. The show aires on a sunday in the middle of the day, and so is cut down so much most of the fight scenes are completely removed.

I watched one (the one where daniel gets taken hostage by some crazy columbians, or similer) where in one shot they where all alive and the next all the hostage takers were magically dead.

Comment

Oh my goodness! Evolution - That's what I can major editing! LOL! Guess they didn't like the idea of a zombie chasing everyone around and then being blown up - though all you saw was a big red powder explosion - not particularlly realistic. I imagine there's a scene in... the episode where Martouf gets killed by Carter that was likely cut under these kind of constraints. Toward the beginning. A throwaway character kills himself by exploding and there are blacken/charcoal like chunks thrown around the room. Again, not particularly realistic. And I fell quite certain that any cutting due to violent content would have done away with the Vala burning scene in Season nine Avalon. 'Don't think I've ever seen any major fight scenes cut here in the US but then we tend to be rather loose when it comes to violence.

Comment

I only watch stargate sg1/sga on sky-one i hate chanale 4 and there edditing ways
          sigpic
          Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
          Metal gear fan

Comment

I don't know about the difference between DVDs and TV but my official video copy of 'Out of Mind/Into The Fire' has loads of scenes cut out when I compared it with the version they repeated on Sky One! That really annoyed me when I found out!
            Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by chipmandoo
              Thanks. The worst TV version I have seen are on UK's Channel 4. The show aires on a sunday in the middle of the day, and so is cut down so much most of the fight scenes are completely removed.

I watched one (the one where daniel gets taken hostage by some crazy columbians, or similer) where in one shot they where all alive and the next all the hostage takers were magically dead.
              geez... talk about edit mongers
              SAVE SG-1
              www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.
              Say No To The Six Month Hiatus

Comment

Originally posted by The.Prior.of.The.Ori
                geez... talk about edit mongers
                Oh there's an entire thread around here somewhere about Channel 4 and Stargate... let's just say both the channel and the presenters are not too popular with folks around here (and for very good reasons!)
                Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

I love stargate and have nearly all the dvd box sets for sg1 although I have not watched many, (got them all for Christmas, but I have only opened series 7, I like my "digital" copies more!), and I have not seen the version of ep 1 with nudity! guess I have to re-watch! lol

Anyway, I have not noticed any diffrences in the dvds and what I have scene on sky/American versions, however as people have said, I hate the channel 4 version!

I was sitting downstairs in the kitchen, we were all eating lunch and suddenly I realised it was lost city episode (i think they showed both parts), I wanted everyone to see this, I watched and was shocked when they cut out ALL the good fight scenes. one moment on the (hatak?) ship, the jaffa says you are the betrayer.... next moment he is on the floor and sg1 is aboard! they cut so much!

I really hope people do not get a oppinion of SG1 based on this as they really cut all the best bits! I have seen almost every episode of stargate at least 3-4 times, some of them A LOT more (apart from SGA the defiant one... need to get that episode!), however with lost city being amongst my favs, I remember every bit and found the edit to be annoying.

I hate channel 4 for that!

Comment

Working...
                  X