Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To watch or not to watch? (Seasons 9/10 of SG1)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
    My bud in the UK has only seen up to Season 8 of SG1 and has heard a few ugly rumors (ok, some of them from me!) that things are just not the same in S9 and 10. He has loved the show so far and is wondering if he should call it a day at Moebius. I've told him to keep going because it's not all bad . He'd like a second opinion though, so that's where you lot come in.

Do you agree with me? Would you recommend him to watch S9/10 or not, when they start where he is? Spoilers are ok as far as I'm concerned, because he's promised not to look at this thread (wonder how long that'll last?) but please hide any major spoilery stuff because there are others out there who might want to stay spoiler-free.

Thanks guys
    ok ur incorect about one thing m8. I live in the UK and ive seen upto end of Season9, season10 is gonna be the best season yet with mitchell here. i would tell him to watch them yes. if he dosnt he isnt a big SG-1 Fan like rest of people in the UK who watches it
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=m_5rq5DiN6o/[Ori Trailer]
    http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/3435/myaniqy9.gif

Comment

Personally, I thought s9 was chock-full of mediocre episodes, a bland new enemy, a lack of a feeling of team, new characters that didn't fit in well, and old characters that were pushed to the background for the newbies. (whew! )

BUT, I think your friend should at least try s9. After all, this forum shows quite a diversity of opinions on the season - some fans loved s9, some hated it, and the rest fell somewhere in between. He may find s9 is his cup of tea.

Comment

Originally posted by AlterianX
        ok ur incorect about one thing m8. I live in the UK and ive seen upto end of Season9, season10 is gonna be the best season yet with mitchell here.
        I've checked, and he doesn't have cable or satellite or whatever you call it. He's only seen to the end of S8 on terrestrial (channel 4?). Wow, these are great answers so far guys, pretty mixed. Sexed up and dumbed down - yeah I agree with that myself!

Keep em comin!
        sigpic
        "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
          My bud in the UK has only seen up to Season 8 of SG1 and has heard a few ugly rumors (ok, some of them from me!) that things are just not the same in S9 and 10. He has loved the show so far and is wondering if he should call it a day at Moebius. I've told him to keep going because it's not all bad . He'd like a second opinion though, so that's where you lot come in.

Do you agree with me? Would you recommend him to watch S9/10 or not, when they start where he is? Spoilers are ok as far as I'm concerned, because he's promised not to look at this thread (wonder how long that'll last?) but please hide any major spoilery stuff because there are others out there who might want to stay spoiler-free.

Thanks guys
          This is a stupid question. Your friend has watched a show he loves for EIGHT SEASONS and suddenly he's going to decide to stop watching because he heard rumors? That's like watching season 1-6 of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and deciding not to watch season 7 because someone said it felt different from the earlier seasons.

Personally, I like season 9 MORE then seasons 1-8 because it has a very goot storyline that is connected throughout the whole season, as opposed to Anubis' "I'm here for an episode or two, now back to your single storyline episodes for half the season, then I'm back for one episode here, now I'm gone again, etc."

Season 9, despite the anal people who want the show never to evolve, does just that - it evolves. The Tau'ri are stronger, they have space capabilities better then in previous seasons, the Goa'uld storyline has finally finished and a NEW storyline has picked up (which I think is great, a successful show always changes and grows) dealing with the Ori.

Comment

He should definitely carry on watching S9 and then make up his own mind. I wouldn't stop watching because of a few negative rumours.
            There are a lot of changes, but still it's Stargate FCOL, give it a chance, I think that S10 will be better, you need time to get used to all the changes, new enermies, new characters.
            Like Lord Shiva said, a successful show always changes and grows.

Anyway what else is he going to watch on a sunday afternoon? The Antiques Roadshow?

Comment

Even though I miss having Jack as a regular character on the show, I really enjoyed Season 9 thoroughly. The Ori, though not as cool as the Goa'uld, are some pretty awesome bad guys and the central storyline dealing with them has been pretty full in focus for most of the episodes.

The episodes have all been pretty good and full of funny moments to keep me interested. My favorite was Fourth Horseman-Part 2 solely because of Cam and Daniel messing with the Prior.

However, one thing that I really didn't like about Season 9 was......

Spoiler:
              The Prometheus got annihilated! It was an awesome ship, and it got blown up. Ah well, at least the Odysey's cool.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think that, if your friend isn't bothered by a lot of changes in the show's storyline and cast, he should keep watching it because I'm sure Season 10 is gonna' rock just as much as this one did.
              Last edited by Sprectra; 15 June 2006, 12:42 PM.

Jared Kane: Do you ever give up?
              Daniel: Not till I'm dead… and sometimes not even then.

-Ethon, SG-1 Season 9

Comment

I'd have to agree with others that say to watch it and decide for himself, just warn him that its nothing like S1-8, and if he doesn't mind the newbie taking over the show, while the original 3 are wall papered to the background, and Mitchell taking over everyone elses jobs. And I have to agree with it beeing dumbed down and sexed up The writing is just not up to par with past seasons, it used to be you could describle it as an intense drama set in the scifi genre, now its more of a farce. The writers don't seem to mind plot holes and throwing what is cannon out the window. But hey that's just my opinion.
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

The show is as great now as it ever was. (Maybe even a little better) Your friend should definetly keep watching.
                  JOIN THE FIGHT FOR GALACTIC DOMINATION!

http://stargatewars.com/recruit.php?uniqid=dl1158117270

Comment

I agree with the others. No matter the rumors, you have to give it a try before you can admire/complain/whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                      I agree with the others. No matter the rumors, you have to give it a try before you can admire/complain/whatever.
                      Excellent point. What sucks to one person is great to another. It all depends on the individual.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Season 9 was good, just not as good as the others...unfortunately.
                        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I liked season 9 and am planning on watching season 10. I'd recommend them. Only thing is, think of it not as Season 9 by as the first season of a new show.

But if you're going to quit after Season 8, spare yourself the misery of watching Moebius. It's not that it was that bad, it's just that the Reckoning/Threads arc makes a fantastic end where Moebius was only useful in that it provided a plot point for Atlantis to work with. Which is, IMO, a disgraceful way to end classic SG-1.
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I've watched Stargate from the very beginning so I'm not some new fan- but am I the only one who doesn't see any ''dumbing down and sexing up'' in season 9?

Comment

Yeah... nobody can really tell you if your going to like something or not. They can tell you whether they liked it or not, but you won't know if YOU like it or not until you see it.

I personally love Season 9... I like the addition of a fighter pilot to the team. For once having the team fly F-302's make sense since one of them is actually rated to fly it.

I really like the Jaffa story line... Bra'tac being one of my favorite characters. So seeing Teal'c and Bra'tac and some of the Jaffa we have seen in past episodes where they were villains and are now the good guys is a real trip for me.

With the addition of pure acting talent like Beau Bridges and Lou Gossett Jr. You have to at least watch it before you give up on it. If you give up on the series that's fine... but at least watch part of it before you do that just based on what somebody told you. There going to be biased either way (good or bad).

Just watch it for yourself...

Ace
                              "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Terrah
                                He should definitely carry on watching S9 and then make up his own mind. I wouldn't stop watching because of a few negative rumours.
                                There are a lot of changes, but still it's Stargate FCOL, give it a chance, I think that S10 will be better, you need time to get used to all the changes, new enermies, new characters.
                                Like Lord Shiva said, a successful show always changes and grows.

Anyway what else is he going to watch on a sunday afternoon? The Antiques Roadshow?
                                I think an entire season is enough time for someone to integrate some changes. A lot of people do not have problems with the fact that there are changes but that those changes have been done poorly and do not live up to the quality of previous seasons. It is entirely debatable whether S9 fits into the category "a successful show always changes and grows".
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X