Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The X-Files movie should be an example. Small screen to big screen (unless it's the whole retro thing like Charlies Angels) just doesn't happen. The X-Files movie was pretty much a disaster and I think something terrific like Stargate SG-1 should stay where it's at, the small screen. I'd hate to see a gigantic cluster, such as the X-Files movie was, happen to Stargate SG-1.
    Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
    O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
    O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

I disagree. Look at startrek, producers and such thought startrek was horrible so they took it off after what, 3 years in the 60's? Now look at it, 8 movies, 4 more tv spin-offs. It went from small screen to bith big and small at the same time. Stargate can do it.

Comment

Agreed, Stargate should be able to pull off movies - but only after SG-1 ends. And as I've already said, the movie(s) should tell mostly stand-alone stories, and not tie in too heavily with the story arcs of the show. Basically, it should allow for general movie audiences to be able to enjoy it without having seen the show or even the original movie.
        Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

I thing that Lord of the Rings showed well was that a prologue could be helpful. if a movie were made you could have a small prologue at the Start explaining the neccessary backstory to the audiences. Kind of like an extended, yet arty "Previously on Stargate". Although they could not tell everything, but focus on the details neccessary to the story they are about to tell. And then hopefully once the movie starts there would not be as much need for explaining back stories.

I think its bad to look at The X-Files. The movie cost $66 Million to make and earned a good couple of hundred million dollars at the box office. So it did not flop commercially.

The Atlantis Pilot garnered £4.2 Million viewers. It had good advertising for a TV show, which may have explained for its high number of viewers. If these were figures for the ammount of people who went to see it in a cinema theatre and each ticket costed about 9 bucks, it would have raked in about $37,800, 000. And I bet a lot of hardcore Stargate fans would go see it again. it would probably rake in a heap of cash throughout the rest of the world, down under, the UK, europe. I'd say an SG-1 movie, if told well could rake in a fair ammount of money as an event movie, plus do the SG franchise justice. I do agree a movie should only be done though after SG is finished with it's television run. The X-Files did it in between Seasons.

Stargate is far more popular than you believe it is.

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
          from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
            Agreed, Stargate should be able to pull off movies - but only after SG-1 ends. And as I've already said, the movie(s) should tell mostly stand-alone stories, and not tie in too heavily with the story arcs of the show. Basically, it should allow for general movie audiences to be able to enjoy it without having seen the show or even the original movie.
            This is very true. I liked the X-Files movie. It was no Alien or anything, but it wasn't bad. I've heard lots of people say that the X-Files movie was a disaster. I might be inclined to agree with them if I had watched the TV show in the first place. (Nothing against the show...seriously just never caught it to make an opinion.)

Feature films must generally appeal to a much broader audience than a television show. In addition, some of those people may only be familiar with the Stargate universe through the first film. This makes it really difficult to concoct a feature story that will work for all audience types. Successful Film-to-TV crossovers don't happen often. TV-to-Film crossovers are (I think) even more rare. Film-to-TV-to-Film again? Not even Star Trek has done that (within any given series, not mixing cast or timelines from TOS to TNG). I can't think of any example...any franchise...where that has happened. Hmmm...
            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
            once done, cannot be undone...
            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

They would need to have a stand alone story, definetely. There has to be a significant likeness to the original movie. Not everyone who saw the Stargate movie has seen SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                They would need to have a stand alone story, definetely. There has to be a significant likeness to the original movie. Not everyone who saw the Stargate movie has seen SG-1.
                So maike it Epic?

You know they could write a story, which is actually really good and that 90% of all reviews are great. people will listen to reviews as well. If a story is good enough then you're film will succeed.

Comment

The Star Trek comparison is more applicable to Joss Whedon's Firefly. Star Trek basically got two and a half seasons, and was canceled prematurly by a network that couldn't see it's potential. The cult following for the next 15 years is what brought Star Trek back to the big screen, then the small. Firefly will get the big screen treatment because Fox was too short sited.

I think that Stargate SG-1 is a very veteran series like the X-Files was. Trying to build a big screen movie that would appeal to both fans and non-fans is a very tall order. Sure, all as fans would turn out, but would the non-fans?
                  Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
                  O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?

Comment

You know what got the Trek movie greenlit? Star Wars. Seriously. Phillip Kaufmann, who didnt make the 1st movie had been developing the concept of bringing it to the big screen, but Paramount told him that Sci-Fi was in the past and it wasnt going anywhere. Then Star Wars hit in 1977. Paramount greenlit Star Trek 1 and in 1979 it came out although they were a bit cagey about it as they thought there might be no room for two sci-fi projects in the market. hehe, funny how they think because now there's a lot of Sci-Fi stuff out there

Comment

I didn't know that, but it makes perfect sence. Monkey see, monkey do. When something hits, then everybody does it. Not to disparrage the Star Trek franchise at all, but thats always why stuff gets made. Just think, if not for Survivor, maybe we wouldn't have ten zillion reality shows now.

Comment

let the movie start with the first evelution of human history, then quickly roll down to Atlantis, it could be an all-in-one, the whole story.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry
                          I didn't know that, but it makes perfect sence. Monkey see, monkey do. When something hits, then everybody does it. Not to disparrage the Star Trek franchise at all, but thats always why stuff gets made. Just think, if not for Survivor, maybe we wouldn't have ten zillion reality shows now.
                          I assure you that there were cameras on the beaches of normandy way before survivor aired on abc

Comment

Originally posted by OsirisDICK
                            If they made movie, it should involve a Goauld or Asguard playing the part of the god Jesus Christ or Alla. That is probably the only way they would pull in the numbers at the theatre from non-stargate fans, to stir up controversy over the Christian or Muslim religion. They would need some major star power as well. Maybe cast Charlie Sheen or Bruce Willis as a new commander of SG1 and throw in The Rock as another Jaffa who knows Tealc from a long time ago.
                            With all do respect, I think that has to be the absolutely worst idea I've heard yet, and that includes rumbles of Stargate: The Musical! Good gad, what makes you think that they "only" thing that could draw in viewers would be to "stir up controversy"? Have you taken a look at movies recently? All you need are some pretty effects and a lot of explosions and the audience will come in droves. Stargate is supposed to be entertainment, not a socio-political/religious commentary. It's about FUN, not about standing on a soapbox to preach to the masses.

Also, what the hell would be the point of an SG-1 movie if it didn't star the cast of the show? Sure, maybe you'd get some outside viewers, but you'd also piss off a good majority of your built-in audience who want to go and see RDA & crew on the big screen. Bad, bad, bad, bad idea. It's just bad.

Personally, I think the "lost episode of S2" deal is a pretty big cop-out. To me, it says pretty blatantly that "this was our heydey, so let's try to go back and recapture our former glory". What are they gonna do, dye RDA's hair and force Chris to shave his head again?? Are they going to accurately try and recapture the look and feel of S2 or are they just gonna fudge along and figure everyone will accept it because fans will love anything Stargate and non-fans don't know any better?

I'm still waiting for a resolution to Jonas's story. I know I'm never going to get it, but since it's one of the biggest "issues" I have regarding the show, I'm going to keep mentioning it. I mean, ye gods, was Corin THAT bad that they only allowed him the one payoff ep in S7 and then Jonas is never mentioned again, EVER?? Gimme a break. In my own pretty little world, bringing Jonas back into play and dealing with that obnoxious dangling thread of his genetics would be a perfect way to spin him off to Atlantis. Another pipe dream, given TPTB's apparent unwillingness to have anything more to do with Corin/Jonas. *sigh*

But I digress. If you completely and totally wipe out the system lords forever, then what are you going to do for subsequent movies? I hope not the Wraith. I haven't liked anything about them so far and I don't see that changing any time soon. The goa'uld may be hokey, but at least they don't make me gnash my teeth whenever I see them.

I still think the jaffa rebellion angle could be interesting to explore and if it's done on a big enough scale it might make it as a movie. But if we're talking epic series, I don't think that idea could hold through. In that case, maybe the complete desctruction of the system lords could work- one god per movie, culminating in a massive stand-off at the end.

I guess we'll see, eventually. IF these lofty ideas of the Suits and PTB actually pan out.

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                              I assure you that there were cameras on the beaches of normandy way before survivor aired on abc
                              Yep, and they caught the Hindenburg burning, and Mr. Zupruder was in the right place at the right time to film JFK getting shot. I don't know what any of that has to do with the genre known as reality TV.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                                I still think the jaffa rebellion angle could be interesting to explore and if it's done on a big enough scale it might make it as a movie. But if we're talking epic series, I don't think that idea could hold through. In that case, maybe the complete desctruction of the system lords could work- one god per movie, culminating in a massive stand-off at the end.
                                If they can spin off The Scorpion King from The Mummy, I can see how a Jaffa rebellion or similar angle might be considered. I'm not exactly sure it'd be a good thing, but that certainly sounds like Hollywood.
                                Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                                O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                                - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                                - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                                once done, cannot be undone...
                                brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Working...
                                X