X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
    "4 out of 5 dentists agree that Star Wars is Science Fiction"

However, Star Trek is still older and more widespread - due to syndication - than Star Wars.

I would still argue that it is much too early to say if Stargate will ever be as much of a cultural phenomenon as either Star Trek (38 years old) or Star Wars (27 years old). At this point, not even the conventions are as large or dedicated, but it could definitely happen. Only time will tell. I'll do my part...
    Good thing Dentists aren't Critics because it seems that they wouldn't agree. Oh and I don't want to get into a fight about something so trivial but if you could please give me five examples of science from all 5 of the currently released Star Wars movies I'd be very happy .

Comment

Oh And maybe you should read this

http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily/1997/...rts/arts6.html

Such fears proved blessedly inaccurate. By director-writer George Lucas' own definition, "Star Wars" isn't sci-fi, it's pure fairy tale, a multi-media realization of childhood fantasies, maintained and cherished in a world too often consigned to the brutes, the technocrats and the gray flannel suit. To spin his magic Lucas shamelessly and lovingly dips into the cowboy and world war ace flying genres, and pays reverent tribute to his logical predecessors from Oz, in any number of ways. And it all wonderously works.

Comment

Hyperspace
        Space Flight
        Light Sabers
        Energy Based Weapons
        Robots
        Computers
        Symbiotic relationship between sentient beings and midiclorians sp?
        Space and planets in general

If you were going with the fantasy argument, then Dune, which is considerred a Sci-Fi novel, would be fantasy

i think Star Wars falls under Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Comment

Star Wars IS science fiction. As big of a trekkie/gater, that I am...Star Wars gave SciFi a kick in the butt. Star Wars single handedly push Scifi into a whole new direction.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
          [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

chiefchucky,
            I'm not trying to get into a fight over the classifications of literary and cinematic genres. I was trying to make a joke.

science fiction
            n. : Imaginative fiction based on postulated scientific discoveries or spectacular environmental changes, freq. set in the future or on other planets and involving space or time travel.
            Source: Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed., 1989

Given that definition, I can see where Star Wars could be considered as not science fiction. The story isn't about the technology and it takes place in the past (although the definition uses "frequently", not "always"). However, using a less academic interpretation, one could simply argue that Star Wars is fiction and it does involve the use of technology and science that is not, in reality, at our disposal. I wouldn't immediately call it fantasy, however. To me, things like The Neverending Story and Time Bandits are fantasy, but I'm certainly no scholar on it.

That said, I personally don't care if it is called Science Fiction, SciFi, SciFi/Fantasy, Mythology, Magic or Historical Documents. I don't care if they travel to other planets, other time periods, other dimensions or other galaxies. I enjoy Star Trek, Star Wars and most of the "these beings have a spaceship" stuff. However, thank you for giving me a potential dissertation topic should I ever decide to pursue that PhD. (that's another joke, btw...although the pursuit of a PhD is less of one).

Back ON topic (although this would make an interesting off-topic thread): Star Wars and Star Trek have proven longevity in popular culture. There is no reason to suspect Stargate couldn't have that, they just don't yet.
            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
            once done, cannot be undone...
            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Some see fit to classify sci-fi further into "HARD" and "SOFT" varieties, as well as everything in between. I know some snobs who have said "Star Wars is a space opera, nothing more". I myself don't make a big deal about it. If you want a nightmare of genre names, come to the world of electronic music
              Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
              more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Originally posted by Torley
                If you want a nightmare of genre names, come to the world of electronic music
                No thanks. I already have enough problems with tomatoes.

As an aside (or maybe related), one could look at it this way: Stargate will have "arrived" in popular culture when somebody gets a PhD based on researching it. I just checked Dissertation Abstracts for dissertations and theses written from 1861 to present (bored to tears, I am) and found the following tally:

Star Trek - 43
                Star Wars - 35
                Stargate - 0

C'mon, you pointy-headed intellectuals! Get busy! heheh Between The best of both worlds? Examining bodies, technologies, gender and the Borg of 'Star Trek' and The transformation of consciousness in myth there has got to be room for Of Wormholes and Furlings: Xenophobia and Ethnocentrism in Stargate".* <scratches head and reconsiders that PhD...>

Actually, that wasn't a fair search. It was a keyword search. A lot of the Star Trek references are for popular culture, marketing, consumerism and race/gender studies...a lot of race/gender studies. A lot of the Star Wars references are for film studies or political/military studies (the "Star Wars" US missile program). Still, that's some measure of cultural impact.

* Dissertation title provided by The Amazing and Incredible, Only-Slightly-Laughable, Politically Unassailable, PoMo English Paper Title Generator

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                  yes but in ireland its broadcast from brittish networks. none of our own networks show it, so many people in rural parts of ireland can't get it unless they get our equivelant of cable or get digital or something. once upon a time, our own networks showed some of the star trek series.
                  anthro girl, you've been watching gar state, your reception is just crap.
                  or maybe you've been watching a star trek spin off all along and just didn't realise it.
                  Actually, I think Network 2 showed a few episodes over a few weeks a couple of years ago But I guess they dropped it like a hot potato.

[Ugh, I'm using potato analogies... way to spread the stereotype! ]

Comment

I'd say Stargate dosen't have a tenth of the following that Star Trek has. Most people seem only to be aware of the movie.

Start talking to anyone in the street about Star Trek and they're likely to have at least some idea of what you're on about, but mention Stargate and they'll either shake their heads in confusion or mutter something derogatory about Kurt Russell.

Still, I have to say I actually like it that way - at least it means I can go into the pub in my SG-1 jacket without having drunks come up to me and ask me how Spock is doing.

Call me an elitist, but anything too mainstream just puts me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Conker
                      Still, I have to say I actually like it that way - at least it means I can go into the pub in my SG-1 jacket without having drunks come up to me and ask me how Spock is doing.
                      Really? I would think the ignorami would do it anyway. The times I've mentioned Stargate, I usually get some "Where no man has gone before..." or "Beam me up..." type of response (further confirming ST's place in popular culture). Then when I say "Stargate, not Star Trek," I get a shrug and an and a "What's the difference?"

Doesn't bother me, though. I somehow don't think I'd like it if it were on the level of popularity as, say, Friends. I just figure it's not "dumb enough" to be that popular.

Comment

Well, Stargate might not be the most popular Sci-Fi franchise, but if there's one thing I hope we all agree on, is that Gaters are the least geekiest of all Sci-Fi fans
                        My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                          Really? I would think the ignorami would do it anyway. The times I've mentioned Stargate, I usually get some "Where no man has gone before..." or "Beam me up..." type of response (further confirming ST's place in popular culture). Then when I say "Stargate, not Star Trek," I get a shrug and an and a "What's the difference?"

Doesn't bother me, though. I somehow don't think I'd like it if it were on the level of popularity as, say, Friends. I just figure it's not "dumb enough" to be that popular.
                          I don't actually mention it to them, that was just an example. I just sit in the pub wearing my SG-1 jacket, and nobody seems to recognise it, except fellow fans, who usually end up getting a free drink

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron_nine
                            Well, Stargate might not be the most popular Sci-Fi franchise, but if there's one thing I hope we all agree on, is that Gaters are the least geekiest of all Sci-Fi fans
                            You say that is if geekishness (is that even a word?) is a bad thing...<raise eyebrow>

Comment

We're not geeks, we just happen to have a vast knowledge of the stargate universe.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Working...
                              X