Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're all just mean, nasty and very very jealous.

I would like to know if these critics have actually ever watched an episode of any of these programs.

but also, I guess it's not hard to understand that there are people out there, bound to not like the show. we just have to deal with that.

what we dont have to deal with though is unnecessary 'geek bashing'. I'm proud of my geeky status. people just have to realise that not everyone enjoys the same thing.
    As much as I like stargate, i hate medical shows (except scrubs, which i wouldnt go so far as to say its a medical show as such). but i dont go around saying that everyone who watches medical shows are boring, unimaginative people with absolutely nothing better to do in their lives.
    because im a considerate person. I understand that people have different tastes in tv programs.

i say to you stargate fans out there... proudly geek on. and enjoy it while you can!

Comment

Ah, they're just critics. I'd be cynical and negative too if I were forced to watch reality shows...even if they paid me to!

I'm willing to bet that at least those three haven't really been watching the show, either. SG-1 is getting a lot more publicity these days because of the huge advertising blitz for Atlantis and scifi tends to get marginalized and (poorly) stereotyped as a genre. It's a lot more popular in other countries than in the one in which those articles are written, so yeah...they scratch their head and can't figure. There's just no accounting for taste. There have been some really great articles as of late, so I wouldn't call it a backlash. On the other hand, anything successful invites backlash after awhile.
      Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
      O'Neill: Who doesn't?
      - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
      - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
      once done, cannot be undone...
      brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Torley
        Big words, small brains? Why the Canuck-bashing? Really, that's racist
        Racist? Uh...more like xenophobic. And while it isn't a Canadian production, it is "made-in-Canada".

I would seriously disagree with that reviewer that there is no difference in production quality or storytelling between SG-1 and those other shows. What the heck is wrong with his/her television?

Originally posted by Torley
        Hey, let's ship 'em off to a Goa'uld HQ so they can get their brains melted into a nice cheese...
        Too late. You can't melt something that isn't there.

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Comment

Hahaha... yeah... the person is prolly watching a zany display of dancing static, and is like:

HEY, THIS IS ANDROMEDA!!!

and then the static pattern changes to a more snowy one...

OKAY, SG-1'S ON!

or close to that.
          Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
          more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Honestly...who reads the "Salt Lake City Weekly"
            Jackson: Hathor was the Egyptian goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music.
            O'Neill: Sex, drugs, and rock and roll?

Comment

yer they can try and criticise SG, but it will do no good. Sg's success is overwhelming and a few bad reviews is not going to stop thousands of people adoring the show. so chill...

i think the show is also technologically beneficial; most of our current tech. comes from imagination and science fiction so what the hell are they moaning about you never kno, a few hundred years from now we mite have the ability to create a Stargate type machine to open a stable wormhole...the critics will shut up then (even if their dead )

Comment

Originally posted by SaharaGate
                Soo...do you think there's some kind of backlash happening in response to its 8-year success?

I'm tempted to think it might be sour grapes because the franchise is ever-growing. Maybe they are die-hard Trek or X-files fans and they don't like Stargate muscling in on the sci-fi cult-status scene?

Either that, or they genuinely think it's crap...unthinkable!!!
                The people writing those comments have probably never watched an episode of Stargate in their life and were assigned to review something and thus didn't care for it.

I wouldn't call it backlash. I would call it ignorance.
                IMO always implied.

Comment

Stargate just got an Emmy nomination for FX in The Lost City, Part 2. What was that about "production quality" not being better than any of those other shows which did not get an Emmy nomination???!!!!?

BTW, any reviewer who would - off the bat - generalize the show's fans as "freaks" is obviously not really reviewing the show, but rather injecting some personal opinion about his/her view of society. I don't call the fans of Friends "freaks"...I use a much, much harsher word.

Comment

I've seen lots of negative reviews of things that are pretty good. In some cases, profesional critics must watch things that they personally don't like. We may have been seeing science fiction hating critics that were forced, because of their job, to watch and review SG-1. So, take it with a grain of salt, SG-1 continues to grow in ratings and popularity.
                    Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
                    O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
                    O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by hail_jack
                      Rofl. Really. Who cares what they think?
                      sigpic

Comment

They're all just mean, nasty and very very jealous.

jealous of whom? Some critics simply don't like the show. There are critics who don't like CSI, but hey, consistent #1 ratings are showing them the audience does like the show. Some critics also don't care for scifi shows. not everybody watches or cares to see scifi. It was only when Star Wars was a success that scifi actually got more credit. Otherwise, people think of scifi as Lost in Space, etc.

what we dont have to deal with though is unnecessary 'geek bashing'. I'm proud of my geeky status. people just have to realise that not everyone enjoys the same thing.

'Geeks' will always be bashed. Seems to be a pattern of life. But then you think of 'geeks' like oh, whatsface, who runs Microsoft. Bill gates. Call him a geek, but he's a very rich and successful geek (but his programming code is still too buggy!)

Comment

Originally posted by hail_jack

Me! Well, no not really, only when bored between classes and its summer. One time there was a lovely season 4 promo pic of Crichton surrounded by his female costars. According to them, John and his alien harem. They love comments like that. Its nothing personal. Its a duty to criticize everything.

Comment

Originally posted by ascended
                            yer they can try and criticise SG, but it will do no good. Sg's success is overwhelming and a few bad reviews is not going to stop thousands of people adoring the show. so chill...
                            I agree totally. The show is totally cool and there is certainly no 'backlash' among the fans or casual viewers. It just struck me as odd that it was getting bad reviews cause I'm so used to good reviews - but I guess that's critics for you....they're critical.

But as I was just saying over on the Global Success thread, I think Stargate will attain cult status and probably won't be fully appreciated until looong after the series has ended.

It will be one of those gems people look back on and say 'Wow! That's actually really good! Where was I when all this was happening?'

Comment

It's like all good painters, always after they're dead their material gets popular.

Comment

Just came back here to Grrrrrrrrrowl.

From the San Jose Mercury News (couresy of Morjana):

"As TV science fiction goes, there's nothing particularly bad about
                                this spinoff from the long-running ``Stargate'' series. On the other
                                hand, there's nothing particularly good about it either. One thing's
                                for sure: It certainly does not have the kick or the comedy touches
                                of the original. And it badly needs a strong central focus like
                                Richard Dean Anderson..."

Now I can't really defend Atlantis, since I haven't seen it. So I might just have to live with this one lol.

I'm holding out hope for it though.

Comment

Working...
                                X