X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Gater...

Hello everyone,

I am a brand new fan of Stargate, having finally (after many years) decided to give the show a chance.

I've now watched the entire first season (along with the movie) and will be getting S2 to watch on a business trip (DVD Laptops are great for lunchtime pitstops!).

At any rate, I am really looking forward to getting caught up on SG1/Atlantis.

I think I am pretty much primed and pumped for it all, but can someone tell me when we meet the Asguard? I know they are mentinoed in S1, but it's not until later that we actually see them (I know they also figure in the S8 premire, saw the second half).

Rob+
    Father Robert Lyons, SST

http://www.stellarcross.org

Season 2 - Thor's Chariot, a continuation on the people of Cimmeria from Season 1s Thor's Hammer.

And you shouldn't cheat by watching Season 8 now. Watch everything in order, that makes the show even better

Comment

Many welcomes You can introduce yourself further in the 'forum play zone' i think . Although i recommend you watching S1-S7+, i think i wouldn't be able to do that, but i did started watching show from the beginning, so i wouldn't know about it, haha... But its entertaining to watch newer episodes, than go back and watch the episodes you haven't seen, and say, "oh, i get it now"
      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Normally I would agree with watching the show in order from S1 to S7+, but if you don't watch S8 now, you'll have to wait to watch it again. You could always record it for viewing later, plus Sci-Fi will show repeats when they end the first half of S8 for a couple months. I just don't know how long it will take you to go through the first seven seasons. I jumped on board at the beginning of S6 Second Half (I believe that was the Prometheus continuation). I ended up watching S1 through S5 in under four weeks, which might be a little fast for you.

Go ahead and continue watching S8, I'm sure you'll catch on pretty quickly.

Comment

SG1 is pretty good on showing 'previously on sg1' if they are doing an episode that is connected to a previous episode, so you shouldn't be too confused on whats happening.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
            SG1 is pretty good on showing 'previously on sg1' if they are doing an episode that is connected to a previous episode, so you shouldn't be too confused on whats happening.
            True, but if the episode is a 'climax' of a long-running story arc, it just won't be as satisfying without having actually gone through the whole thing. Correct viewing order rules!
            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

And then you don't see all the character development.

Comment

I think you'll enjoy the "Oh I get it now" aspect of trying to catch up. Keep watching season 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                  True, but if the episode is a 'climax' of a long-running story arc, it just won't be as satisfying without having actually gone through the whole thing. Correct viewing order rules!
                  I never said it would be 'just as satisfying', i said that you wouldn't be completely clueless on whats going on, and you would know what generally has happened in the past.

Comment

Welcome, Rob! My recommendation as someone who has watched from the beginning in '97 is, of course, to watch from the beginning. I just can't imagine it any other way. The story arcs get longer and more complicated the further on you go, but they do a pretty good job of keeping it simple for the casual viewer so you should be able to catch on. Enjoy the ride!
                    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                    once done, cannot be undone...
                    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                      I ended up watching S1 through S5 in under four weeks, which might be a little fast for you.
                      Wow. I'm impressed! What did your opthalmologist think of that?

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Comment

I watched season 1-5 in one week.

Gotta love those SG1 marathons with friends and a computer=)

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                          Wow. I'm impressed! What did your opthalmologist think of that?
                          Well, they were DVDs, so high quality there. Plus, sometimes we got control of a "smart" classroom and used the LCD projecter and the giant screen, so no big strain on the eyes.

Did i mention my vision is already bad? My uncle blaims it on my parents not uprgrading from CGA to VGA fast enough.

BTW: I am aAnubiSs that IS impressive. (Starts to think in his head I wonder what's the shortes time a person could watch S1-6 without sleeping (you can eat watching the show as long as food is brought to you, or you can prepare it while watching the show))

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                            Well, they were DVDs, so high quality there. Plus, sometimes we got control of a "smart" classroom and used the LCD projecter and the giant screen, so no big strain on the eyes.
                            Hmmm...I control the smart classrooms...hmmmmmmmm... Now why didn't I think of that? Oh...I know...no food allowed. I could break that rule and have Stargate movie-oke! hehehe...

And aAnubiSs...that's whacked!

Comment

I'll also give you a hearty welcome aboard. I saw the Stargate movie when it came out, but only caught episodes of SG-1 here and there on syndication. The channel that showed it locally would move it's time slot around depending on which basketball or football game they were showing, so I never was able to get any continuity. I finally got frustrated, and ordered seasons 1-4 on dvd. I went through those in a hurry. I also got seaons 5 and 6 as soon as they came out, and have seen all season 7 episodes. Being framiliar with both ways of watching the show, I would recomend going through them in order. Either way, it's the greatest Science Fiction ever on TV (sorry Trekkies, one man's opinion).
                              Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
                              O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
                              O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X