Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, i know this is getting confusing, but say the loop started at 09:00 and and the team leaves for chulak, which is not one of the planets stuck in the loop, now keep in mind that the device has yet to be turned on, and they stay there. the sg-1 leaves for P4X-639 and the device is turned on. When the clock goes back 6 hours on earth and the other planets, where would the team that went to chulak be?

"There's a very fine line between not listening, and not careing. I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Comment

Originally posted by Kal-El
      The question is rather mute actually, because if you were on a planet that is placed in a temporal loop then you are actually in a fractal timeline. Trying to leave outside the loop and the gravity well would be impossible due to the intense energy, which is produced by the time-bubble.
      Special relativity.
      That is right. They tried to dial out in one of the loops right before the loop started over again but it didn't work.

Comment

He was saying, I beleive, what if you had originally dialed out to a far-away gate (that will eventually be outside the bubble) prior to the start of the loop, then someone else activates the machine for the first time, and then time zap backs to before you left to the gate outside the bubble.

Now my first answer is, you'd be stranded outside the time bubble unable to get back to where you came from. But inside the bubble, my question is, what happened to you?

This is confusing so let me re-state this:

Before the machine is ever activated:

09:00- Person A gates to a far-away world that will be outside the bubble from Earth let's say

11:00- Person B gates to world with time machine from Earth

16:00- Person B activates machine (for the first time) while Person A is way outside the time bubble... thingy... mabobber

16:01- Do - While loop executes as such:

Do
        {
        Goto 05:00
        }
        While (TimeMachine == ON)

In other words, go back to 05:00 (or whatever time it's suppoed to be), prior to person A having gated from Earth to outside the bubble. Now, when 09:00 roles around, SGC is expecting to send Person A on their scheduled mission to far-away planet. However, Person A is already on far-away planet and therefore can not be on Earth getting ready to leave for mission... that they already went on...

I guess Person A just dissapears from the time bubble Earth is in while SGC wonders what the heck happened to Person A... because Person A has already left while SGC is stuck repeating the day over and over again.

Does that make sense? I hope so.

Comment

Due to the device's intended purpose, there is no reason to believe that there is a 'start' point set on the machine before looping....so yeh, that would have to be it.
          sigpic

Comment

Hold on:
            When the time loop is finally stopped, how much has actually changed?

The loop must be at least large enough to affect the entire solar system, or someone would eventually notice that the planets were nearly three months ahead of where they should be, etc... So when the loop ends, would we actually be three months behind the rest of the galaxy/universe, or would everything somehow balance out?

And what if a Tok'ra ship (or any random asteroid for that matter) were to enter into our solar system during the loop? Where would they end up when the loop restarted?
            There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Yeah, you'd think the galaxy would be up for some temporal shock distortion waves or some other technobabble like that. Hmmm, makes ya think!
              Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
              more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

They get pulled out, and don't move, then put back in, and continue moving. Tada?
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah, you'd think the galaxy would be up for some temporal shock distortion waves or some other technobabble like that. Hmmm, makes ya think!
                  I don't know, it seems that bubble isolates everything, so i guess, in theory, the planets and other celestial bodiesdo indeed remain where they are, untill the time loop stops. Once it stops, they continue on their merry way. there wouldn't be any shock waves because the bubble isolated everything. However, you would "lose" time and everything inisde the bubble would be slightly off once they return to normal space time. It would be interesting to see what would happen if you ran the machine for several thousand or even million years.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL SHAKKA MEL
                    Ok, i know this is getting confusing, but say the loop started at 09:00 and and the team leaves for chulak, which is not one of the planets stuck in the loop, now keep in mind that the device has yet to be turned on, and they stay there. the sg-1 leaves for P4X-639 and the device is turned on. When the clock goes back 6 hours on earth and the other planets, where would the team that went to chulak be?
                    If I remember correctly P4X-639...right, if so and the device wasn't active till they arrived the same thing applies. No wormhole would be established outside the loop. Because they would then be within the fractile timeline, of which Chulak was not apart of, so from their perspective, time would only loop on P4X-639, from the time the device was activated.
                    Although Temporal mechanics isn't fully understood yet, one thing is...If you think too much on the subject, all you are going to end up with is a headache
                    THERE ARE THINGS KNOWN...
                    AND THINGS UNKNOWN...
                    AND IN BETWEEN...LIES THE STARGATE

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747
                      Hold on:
                      When the time loop is finally stopped, how much has actually changed?

The loop must be at least large enough to affect the entire solar system, or someone would eventually notice that the planets were nearly three months ahead of where they should be, etc... So when the loop ends, would we actually be three months behind the rest of the galaxy/universe, or would everything somehow balance out?

And what if a Tok'ra ship (or any random asteroid for that matter) were to enter into our solar system during the loop? Where would they end up when the loop restarted?
                      Good questions, so shall we begin with the first:
                      Many theologists speculate that if this were to happen at all (Timeloops) when and if you were to return, the area affected by the loop, would remain in an alternate timeline, just not stuck in the loop. So whatever was stuck in the timeloop, would be in a completely new alternate universe - Multiverse theorum.
                      Question 2: From the perspective of the Tok'ra vessel, or any form of stellar mass, all that is stuck in the loop would cease-to-exist. The Tok'ra wouldn't know about earth etc (for that period alone); and as for the stellar body and/or ship would travel straight through the effected area.
                      THERE ARE THINGS KNOWN...
                      AND THINGS UNKNOWN...
                      AND IN BETWEEN...LIES THE STARGATE

Comment

I really didn't think that earth (or any of the planets stuck in the loop) would have actually been moved into in alternate universe or whatever. It definitely seemed as though they were simply "cut off" from the rest of the universe for that 3 month time period, then returned back when the machine shut off (maybe it has some special feature to ensure this?). The Tok'ra were definitely trying to contact earth during that period, earth did not "cease to have ever existed" in the universe, it just vanished.

I think it makes sense that during the 3 month period, all of the planets within the loop would simply "disappear" from the universe (almost like they were temporarily pushed into a parallel dimension very close to our own), then be returned 3 months later, and no one on the planet would really be able to tell that anything was different. Time is relative anyway, right?
                        There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                          I know what I would do if I was stuck in a time loop.

Suicide, just to see if there's an afterlife.
                          that is what the guy in groundhog day tryed and it did not work

Comment

Originally posted by Kal-El
                            Good questions, so shall we begin with the first:
                            Many theologists speculate that if this were to happen at all (Timeloops) when and if you were to return, the area affected by the loop, would remain in an alternate timeline, just not stuck in the loop. So whatever was stuck in the timeloop, would be in a completely new alternate universe - Multiverse theorum.
                            Question 2: From the perspective of the Tok'ra vessel, or any form of stellar mass, all that is stuck in the loop would cease-to-exist. The Tok'ra wouldn't know about earth etc (for that period alone); and as for the stellar body and/or ship would travel straight through the effected area.
                            What is a theologist?

Comment

So, um... the SG team that keeps coming back to the SGC with every loop... they were on one of the affected planets? Was that ever brought up in the ep?

Vids, Manips, Icons, n' Stuff

Comment

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=theology

Don't you mean, physicist? Or theological physicist? Or cosmological, gravitational, inspirational... uh...
                                Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                                more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Working...
                                X