Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being a God, I have figured out why Stargate feels different to some and not the same

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being a God, I have figured out why Stargate feels different to some and not the same

20 episodes per season.

That is, in a nutshell, the reason why Stargate feels different. 20 episodes allows for a more "season driven story arc" but it removes those 2+ extra episodes a run of 22 gives to pillow it with more content. The usual TV show season is 24 episodes, so Stargate's 22 was already cutting it by 2... and now at 20 a season it leaves you will a lot less time per season.

With 24 episodes (or even 22), one can have a very nice season arc and still have episodes that are very single-episode driven and would deal with the idea of exploration and discovery that has sort of been lost in these sweeping arcs dealing with the Ori or even the last season dealing with Anubis.

I really wish they would raise the season back to 22 or up it to 24.

Actual, the custom for TV shows (in the Western world) is having 22 episodes per season, which Stargate has almost always had. It's only of recent years that they've regressed to 21 and 20 episodes. I don't know of ANY show that has 24 episodes per season besides 24 and certain seasons of Will & Grace.

No, it's customary to have 22 episodes per season, occasionally breaching it with 23.

Even season 1 had 22 episodes if you count the series premiere as two episodes since it's a double episode, usually aired separately with separate opening- and ending sequences.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
      No, it's customary to have 22 episodes per season, occasionally breaching it with 23.
      X-Files and ST:TNG were the only ones i know that routinely went over the 22 ep standard.

Comment

Nearly all seasons of ST: TNG, DS9 and Voyager had 26 episodes. Sure does take up space when you have them all on VHS...
        "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

ya forget 24

and no you're not a god. you're a normal dude online with the name lord shiva.

Comment

Originally posted by NakedJehutyV2
            ya forget 24

and no you're not a god. you're a normal dude online with the name lord shiva.
            Jaffa - KREE!

*watches as His Jaffa browbeat NakedJehuty*

That'll teach ya.

Comment

Oh sure, fans can sit back and enjoy (or not) 2 or 4 more episodes, but what about the Producers and the Writers?

Comment

I wouldn't credit the different feel of the show merely to the episode number. There have been a lot of other changes too.
                "I'm the greatest because I'm alive. That's it. Period.
                I'm not greedy. If I can catch a Goa'uld equipped with all kinds of fancy toys without risking my neck that's a damn good compromise."

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                  Oh sure, fans can sit back and enjoy (or not) 2 or 4 more episodes, but what about the Producers and the Writers?
                  When Atlantis was made did they hire any new writers? I don't think so. The same people that were once churing out 22 epidodes a season are now making 40 episodes a season. I think Stargate needs some new writers, to bring new stories and perspectives into Stargate - mabey even a female writer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
                    Jaffa - KREE!

*watches as His Jaffa browbeat NakedJehuty*

That'll teach ya.
                    You are a funny guy, I'll give you that.
                    I too miss the 22 ep season, but I guess we'll just have to adjust to 20. Do I think SG-1 feels a little different now, sure. But I mean come on, we're facing a new threat now. We're dealing with an entirely different mythology too. New castmembers have joined the fun. In this case, I don't believe different is necessarily a bad thing.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I have to point out that certian seasons of the Simpsons had 25 episodes per season (specifically seasons 6 thru 9), but they still average around 22 eps per season...
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....30&postcount=9
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....9&postcount=18
                      Originally posted by Jonzey
                      Hardcore nudity means not just without clothes, but without skin. You can't get much more hardcore nude than that.

Comment

Why are you complaining at the writers for not enough episodes? Their budget was cut a couple of seasons ago, so they had to cut the number of episodes or loose some of the quality and special effects.
                        * Always remember - You are unique, just like everyone else. *

* Avoid employing unlucky people, throw half of the CVs in the bin without reading them. *

Lost City, Part 2 - The Gateworld best ep S1-7

The 'Everyone Gets A Compliment' Thread

Comment

Originally posted by da_hippie
                          Why are you complaining at the writers for not enough episodes? Their budget was cut a couple of seasons ago, so they had to cut the number of episodes or loose some of the quality and special effects.
                          I believe is that they have lost episodes and quality. They lost some of their budget due to Atlantis coming along. While I personally love Atlantis, some people don't and blame it for SG-1s slight drop in quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Qtyled
                            When Atlantis was made did they hire any new writers? I don't think so. The same people that were once churing out 22 epidodes a season are now making 40 episodes a season. I think Stargate needs some new writers, to bring new stories and perspectives into Stargate - mabey even a female writer.
                            They did bring in newcomers, actually. Martin Gero was hired full time at the outset of Atlantis, and several outside writers contributed to it's first season as well. One of them, Carl Binder, wrote 'Before I Sleep' and 'Letters frm Pegasus', winning himself a job on the staff for the new season. Another new staff writer was added on the SG-1 side this season, Alan McCullough. He wrote 'Prototype', and penned three more episodes that will air in the back half of the season.

Those three joined Brad Wright, Robert Cooper, Joseph Mallozzi, Paul Mullie, Damian Kindler, and Peter DeLuise on Atlantis' full time writing staff. Many of them are also producers, and DeLuise directs a lot, as well. Along with the outside writer or actor contributions, it's a large group to spread the writing load across.

a time to mourn

Comment

I dnt feel tat SG1 has lost any quality, an two episodes is noting really, I would rather have 40 episodes across 2 shows than 22 across 1 show. I think most people feel SG1 is no longer as good as it once was for several reasons, such as:

(S7-9)RDA not playing as big a part as in S1-6 and leaving after S8
                              (S7 and S8)Entre Seasons being used to wrap up storylines
                              (S9) A totally new idea that has come from almost nowhere

BTW, us it just me or did a lot of S7 apart from the fewstand alone eps just feel like a prequel to Atlantis? (theres another reason)

And rock on NakedJehutyV2! You tell that false god
                              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Working...
                              X