Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Ori and Prior's a hit at Religious Fundamentlism?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but this time the writers have clearly stated they are taking a diffrent turn on storytelling. The prior follows a religion called origin. And they belieave all people who dont follow origin are evil. And they are extremely rigid on their beliefs. They are willing to die for their beliefs. Like the first episode where we met the priors, he set himself on fire. And they are willing to commit acts of terriosm. Remember the episode where they release the plague on that planet where vala was once a god. I know alot of people here would like to think stargate would be non political and doesnt want to comment on our society. But I think the writers want to grow up beyond the saturday morning scifi cartoonish aspect, and make it self a serious scifi show that actually comments on society.

Originally posted by skritsys
    IMHO, I can see how there may be some overtones with religious fundamentalism so to speak, however, in my experience with scifi in general is to look for the simplest explanation. In this case what I get out of it is the parasitical aspect of living. The Goa'uld are parasites that live off the host, and the previous hosts TAKE what they want. Keyword here is that almost all of the villains in Stargate are parasitic and having an aggressive desire to control and dominate the galaxy. Beyond that, it comes up to speculation as to what alien represents what. But in the context of having a villain that would be on par with the Asgard and/or the Ancients, TPTB ultimately had to come up with the flip side of the coin.

Comment

Your arguments are based on a few assumptions that many people may not agree with, mahram.

First off, you're assuming that the Ori are based on one specific real-world religious group. To me, it seems that the Ori represent the whole idea of fanatical, homocidal devotion to any religious organization. Granted, there has been a lot of news coverage of particular terrorist acts lately, but that doesn't mean that the Ori are based on those particular groups.

Secondly, Stargate has always seriously commented on society. Remember "The Other Side" way back in season four? One could bring up a serious discussion about Nazi war crimes after watching that episode. Remember "The Nox" all the way back in season one? Serious discussions about pacifism in self-defense situations could follow that one. Yes, Stargate has a lot of funny moments, but it's never been saturday-morning cartoon as far as I've seen.
      Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Comment

Originally posted by mahram
        Just wondering what you guys think of the ori and priors. I know joe has kept saying he wont do anything about christian and muslim fundamentalism. But are the ori and priors a backhand way to bring in real world conflicts to sg1. The ori and priors remind me of the muslim and christian fundamentalists. Where they will kill anybody who doesnt belieave in what they belieave.
        christins don't do that? I don't know where you heard that one , plus you probally just offended alot of people on gateworld. Stargate is a show, it's not real. Thew had to come up with a bad guy, that's all the ori are.

Comment

Originally posted by jefferyb
          Old testament Christianity, isn't that called Judaism! And true Christianity, not the freaks that end up on the news, does not kill people for not beleiving, period! The Muslim beliefs state that those that refuse to belief are to be killed, so I would say that there is a direct correlation there, but not christianity.
          It's the muslim fundamentalists that become terrorists. Cause Muslim religion states that they are the ONLY religion and all others are evil. I don't believe that is the case, Christianity, Judeism, Roman Catholic have common ground with Islamic religion.

Christians DO NOT kill other people for not believing. I am a Christian and Christians accept people for who they are, no matter if they believe or not.
          Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
          Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
            It's the muslim fundamentalists that become terrorists. Cause Muslim religion states that they are the ONLY religion and all others are evil. I don't believe that is the case, Christianity, Judeism, Roman Catholic have common ground with Islamic religion.

Christians DO NOT kill other people for not believing. I am a Christian and Christians accept people for who they are, no matter if they believe or not.
            Uh huh, in an ideal world, yes. Maybe Christians SHOULD do that, but I have to say that, sadly, that's not the case. I'm sure that Islam is similar with many of them being accepting but not all.

Oh, and just for the record, the Roman Catholic church IS Christian. It is, in fact, the ORIGINAL Christian church.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
              Uh huh, in an ideal world, yes. Maybe Christians SHOULD do that, but I have to say that, sadly, that's not the case. I'm sure that Islam is similar with many of them being accepting but not all.

Oh, and just for the record, the Roman Catholic church IS Christian. It is, in fact, the ORIGINAL Christian church.
              I thought that Roman Catholic worship Mary more than God. Christians DO accept other people for who they are, no matter if they believe or not.

Comment

Then why try to convert others?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                  Then why try to convert others?
                  I'm not, I'm just stating a fact that we don't kill other people who don't believe. It's not our way.

Comment

Now, now. Nobody's perfect. At least one member of every religion that has ever existed in the history of human-kind has done something hurtful in the name of his or her god(s).

Comment

What I meant was, if, as you say, Christians (or whatever other religion) accept other people for who they are, then they wouldn't be trying to convince others to be like them (conversion).

Comment

What I meant was, if, as you say, Christians (or whatever other religion) accept other people for who they are, then they wouldn't be trying to convince others to be like them (conversion).
                        They aren't, they are just spreading what the religion is all about. I've never seen other Christians knocking on doors in my neighbourhood.

Comment

Originally posted by rohannen of zorbia
                          Now, now. Nobody's perfect. At least one member of every religion that has ever existed in the history of human-kind has done something hurtful in the name of his or her god(s).
                          That's true that there are some people who do that in every religion, but the true heart to Christianity is not to hurt anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
                            They aren't, they are just spreading what the religion is all about.
                            But why would they do that in the first place?

Comment

To let you know what their religion is all about. I don't know what happens in other religions, but I know that Christians don't go door to door telling people about Christianity. It's their choice to believe or not.
                              Last edited by newtrekker; 13 December 2005, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Imagine that you're going for a walk in the woods. You find a cave and go in to explore. Inside, you discover a spring. When you drink from it, it takes like...candy (or just super-fresh water, if you prefer). You fill your canteen, and when you return home, you discover that the water has magically turned into gold. You return to the spring again and again and find that it never runs dry. There's enough magic gold-water here for everyone on Earth. Would you keep it a secret? Wouldn't you want to share the bounty with everyone you know?

That's why people share their religious beliefs (in the best cases).

Comment

Working...
                                X