X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me Maths Nerds! Help me!

Hey, this is a call to all maths nerds in the forums

I need someone to figher out what the demenions of the stargate would be if it were scaled down to 1cm:65cm.
    I tryed working this out buy myself, but it does'nt seem right (After all I failed my year 10 maths exam and, am not planing on takeing maths next year)
    The sizes I used (presoming their right are;
    Outside Diameter - 670cm
    Inside Diameter - 458cm - 472cm
    Width - 50cm

Please if you can help, help!
    The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
    Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Originally posted by JedI Master of the Gate

I need someone to figher out what the demenions of the stargate would be if it were scaled down to 1cm:65cm.
    I tryed working this out buy myself, but it does'nt seem right (After all I failed my year 10 maths exam and, am not planing on takeing maths next year)
    Outside Diameter - 670cm
    Width - 50cm

The greatest concentration of tech geeks is, oddly enough, in the area of this forum entitled "Science and Technology."
    My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
    -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
    -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
    -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by JedI Master of the Gate

Outside Diameter - 670cm
      Width - 50cm

The Gate is 20 feet in diameter. Converting the dimesnions:

For Outside Diameter:
      Outside Diameter: 20 feet [international, U.S.] = 609.6 centimeter.
      Divide 609.6 by 65 (to convert to your scale factor): 9.38 cm.

For Inside diameter:

Inside diameter is around 17 or 18 feet.

For 17 foot diamter: 17 feet [international, U.S.] = 518.16 centimeter.
      Divide 518.16 by 65 (to convert to your scale factor): 7.97 cm.

For 18 foot diameter: 18 feet [international, U.S.] = 548.64 centimeter.
      Divide 548.64 by 65 (to convert to your scale factor): 8.44 cm.

For Width:

For the Width: The gate is about 1 to 2 feet "thick" or wide.

For 1 foot width: 1 feet [international, U.S.] = 30.48 centimeter.
      Divide 30.48 by 65 (to convert to your scale factor): .47 cm (less than half a centimeter!)

For 2 foot width: 2 feet [international, U.S.] = 60.96 centimeter.
      Divide 60.96 by 65 (to convert to your scale factor): .94 cm (almost a full centimeter).

Conversions provided here.

It seems that the scale you've chosen will result in a pretty small gate (A gate that is only 8 centimeters tall!). To adjust the size of your gate, increase or decrease your scale factor. (In this case, you chose 1 scale centimeter = 65 real centimeters. So your scale factor is 65.) Use the site in the link above and click on the "Common Conversion Lenghts" link. Select the unit to convert FROM, enter the amount, then select the unit to convert TO. Then select "Convert."

Hope that helps some.

Comment

1:65 ... isnt that being scaled up?

shouldnt it be 65:1?
        - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
          1:65 ... isnt that being scaled up?

shouldnt it be 65:1?
          1:65 means one scale centimeter equals 65 real centimeters. 65:1 would mean the exact opposite, which would result in a Gate 65 times larger than the original.

The most common scales for die-cast models are 1:32 and 1:16.
          ~bri~

Comment

Originally posted by brihana25
            The most common scales for die-cast models are 1:32 and 1:16.
            To convert your gate to 1:32 or 1:16, simply divide by 32 or 16 in all the instances where you divided by 65 in my first post. That will get you the new scale dimensions for your gate.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
              To convert your gate to 1:32 or 1:16, simply divide by 32 or 16 in all the instances where you divided by 65 in my first post. That will get you the new scale dimensions for your gate.
              where did u get this scaling from i have been looking for ir for ages???is it on gateworld??
              tokra operative with sg-6 !!!
              yep a tokra on a sg team who wulda thunk??
              Character Name:Tok'ra-ragnor

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RA the sun god
                where did u get this scaling from i have been looking for ir for ages???is it on gateworld??
                I don't quite understand your question.

The scale factor is the factor you choose to reduce (or enlarge) an object. In this case, Jedi wanted to make a 1:65 scale gate. One scale centimeter = 65 real centimeters on the gate. In the case of 1:32 or 1:16, the values are 1scale centimeter would equal 32 or 16 real centimeters (or whatever unit of lenght you choose). In general, scale models are mostly 1:32 or 1:16. Sometimes 1:24 scale is used if 1:32 or 1:16 don't seem to generate a good size scale model.

Comment

Working...
                X