Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else walk out of Stargate the Movie thinking they should make a TV show?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else walk out of Stargate the Movie thinking they should make a TV show?

I know not everyone saw the Stargate movie in theatres... but I did. I LOVED it. It was one of my all-time favorite movies, and it had one of my top 10 "shock" moments.

You know that moment where your body tingles and you feel this shock of excitement just spike through you? It happened when they first activated the Gate. At that moment, when the Stargate leapt to life, my mouth dropped open and I thought to myself "This is the coolest moment I have ever watched!"

When I left the theatre, my friends and I were talking up a storm, and I remember telling them "They have to make a sequel... this movie is perfect. Either a sequel or a TV show. Do you know how much they could do with this universe? I mean, if they found one Stargate, what if they could find others?"

To say I was pleased when years later they started a Stargate series was an understatement! Unfortunately I didn't have Showtime, so I actually caught up with my Stargate love through the DVD's!

Anyway, anyone else see the movie in the theatres and think that it would have made an awesome TV show?

Well I didn't see it in theaters but I remeber seeing it before I even noticed the Show and after it it was one of my favroites it didn't beat star wars but it was 2nd in my heart. I was hopeing they would make another movie. I'd forgoten about it until I rememberd and I went to check to see if it came on so checked Scifi thinking since anytime I checked it was SciFi movies (didn't watch scifi then) and there was the gate blast and the Stargate I watched my first Episode (now I think it wasn't that good) it was on just yesterday the won with blowing up the Sun.
    Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
    Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
    new enemy of the Ori
    At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

I saw it on TV and it was a couple of years after it was actually made and thought they should definately make a series; googling-it ( actually i think i msn-ed it back-then); i found SG1!!! woo

I didn't even think it was shown in the cinema! was it a hit or a flop?
      It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Well, I saw the series before catching the movie on Spike TV. Then I saw the first part again on Sci-FI (got thrown out of the lounge by some group ) and even knowing what's going to happen, the moments where Daniel solves the gate and they attempt a dial to Abydos for the first time, was still exciting to watch.
        "Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
        " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
        Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

I loved the movie when I saw it in the theaters!. I remember thinking 'I sure hope they make a part II, can't say I was thinking TV series. I did order Showtime immediatly when I heard they were doing a series. I got some cool SG memorabilia from Showtime via my cable company when I ordered it.
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I think I missed out on that experience. I was like 9 when the movie came out, I only saw it after I had watched lots and lots of the show. And you know, since the show took the plot to a much deeper level, not to mention the superior special effects, it seemed rather superficial to me. But that was because I already knew a lot about the SG universe from the show.

Its a shame though, I wish I had been able to see it in theatres.
            The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

I like to consider it part and parcel of the series... while there are a few differences, they mention the movie often in "Children of the Gods" so its technically the SG-1 "pilot" lol

There are some differences but you just have to live with it... the way I like to see it:

Ra is the lord of the Goa'uld, and thus he feels confident in his power... that's why he's lightly guarded, his "Palace" is like a pleasure yacht, and people bow to him because they fear his power.

As far as I'm concerned, that explains most everything

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                I loved the movie when I saw it in the theaters!. I remember thinking 'I sure hope they make a part II, can't say I was thinking TV series. I did order Showtime immediatly when I heard they were doing a series. I got some cool SG memorabilia from Showtime via my cable company when I ordered it.
                Well, the guy who made the movie wanted to make it a trilogy, but MGM decided against it and opted for the TV show instead...

...Why not both?!

I want to see the original director's idea for the sequel!
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....30&postcount=9
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....9&postcount=18
                Originally posted by Jonzey
                Hardcore nudity means not just without clothes, but without skin. You can't get much more hardcore nude than that.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz!
                  I didn't even think it was shown in the cinema! was it a hit or a flop?
                  Its budget was $55 million, and it made $71.5 million in the US. So it wasn't a blockbuster hit, but it wasn't a bomb either...

Comment

Originally posted by jebus
                    I want to see the original director's idea for the sequel!
                    Don't know how true this is, but I've heard it said that when Emerich and Devlin lost the franchise to TV, they took their sequel idea and renamed it 'Independence Day'.

a time to mourn

Comment

Well all I know is that any of you Stargate fans are NOT true fans until you sit yourselves down to watch the movie. I always consider the movie the true beginning of the series, not the two part pilot episode.

So rather then yell at Me for stating such a thing, go out and rent Stargate if you don't own it - and watch it. Turn off the lights, pop some popcorn, open a coke (or pepsi), and watch Stargate the movie.

And if you haven't seen it in forever... do it sometime soon.

Comment

I saw it in theatres, loved it - and immediately thought it HAD to get a tv show. i would have loved more movies, too, but i immediately thought there would be infinite possibilities out there with thousands of worlds to explore, etc. So I couldn't be happier with what happened.

Comment

I just watched it a couple of months ago! It was pretty cool, and it was amazing to see the similarities between the movie Daniel and show Daniel, and the DISsimilarities between movie Jack and TV Jack.

And I loved how they played up the accidental death of Jack's son. It was very fitting, how he behaved with Skaara and the other kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
                            Don't know how true this is, but I've heard it said that when Emerich and Devlin lost the franchise to TV, they took their sequel idea and renamed it 'Independence Day'.
                            And then they made the third film and they called it Godzilla!

But joking aside, I find myself rather curious as to the veracity of this rumor. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
                            [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

I heard that thing about "Independence Day" as well. It could be true. Will Smith's character could have been Jack O'Neill (he was Air Force in the movie, right?) and Jeff Goldblum's character could have been Daniel Jackson.
                              "Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
                              " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
                              Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

Working...
                              X