This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bragi
    He might be in the pilot, but I don't think he's going to come back to any tv show full-time. Not until his daughter is older, at any rate. Besides, you'd probably still b*tch that even though RDA was on the new show, it wasn't the TEAM you love of Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c.

And I agree with Jonzey. . . . get over it.
    Uh...ex-squeeze me?

I was talking about Richard Dean Anderson potentially working behind the scenes. I never commented about him being in front of the camera as Jack O'Neill, although I'd love to see more Jack because I loved the character. Please don't paint me into your preconceived, "doesn't like the show because she can't deal with change" box I've seen others use. Good change is fine. Change for the worse is not.

And the comments that RDA have been making indicate to me at least that he's taken a year off and is ready to be more active in the biz again so there's nothing wrong in suggesting the notion of him showrunning SG-1 or the third incarnation.

And don't tell me to "get over it." It's rude, presumptuous and completely uncalled for.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      *re-reads original post*

I don't see where I suggested that RDA was a deity of any kind...care to enlighten?
      It was a joke, sorry.

I just see a lot of stuff about how RDA was the show and how it could never survive without him and how they should bring him back. Don't get me wrong, I would be happy to have him back, but as I recall there were plenty of other people involved with the show at the start and I don't think any of the stuff was entirely down to him.

Plus the team thing's been lessening (is that a word?) since season 6, and he was still creatively involved with the show back then.

The way I see it, the galaxy is bigger now after the demise of the Goa'uld- theres so many new places open to them, and they're bound to get seperated a few times. But I still thought Morpheus was a lovely team episode.

Comment

I could see him kicking it off with Daniel but that is about it. He is old, let him go. He did MacGayver and then SG-1 and therefor he did it already and can rest now and watch himself on TV all day long. Then when he gets bored he will pop his head in and do five eps. for us and we will love it.
        They should have little jack take a summer job at the SGC for extra money teaching F-32 combat classes. Ya, and then Little Jack can say something really smartassie like Jack does and then Landry could look at Carter and say, "Why couldn't the Asgard have made one of you instead"
        *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
        *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
        *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
        *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
        *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
        *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
        *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Okay...just to clarify...although I ADORE Jack O'Neill and want to see much more of him in the future, in this thread I am specifically talking about Gekko and RDA with regard to showrunning. Him as an EP again behind the camera NOT him as Jack in front of it.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I haven't posted in months but I have to agree with Uber SG1 Fan. With the present situation with Stargate (yes, I know there are people who still love it) I think that RDA's involvement in ANY way could only be positive. There are a multitute of reasons to explain the problems of seasons 9 and now 10, some of which the fans will never be privy to. RDA isn't god but he did seem to know what worked both onscreen and off in producing a quality show. I, for one, would welcome him back. And oh, I don't mind being accused of not liking change. I watched season 9 and I DON'T like the changes...apparantly I'm not alone.

Comment

Okay...just to clarify...although I ADORE Jack O'Neill and want to see much more of him in the future, in this thread I am specifically talking about Gekko and RDA with regard to showrunning. Him as an EP again behind the camera NOT him as Jack in front of it.
              If he's behind it as opposed to in front of it I don't mind as much

Comment

So I've been thinking about the state of the franchise, the themes and trends of SG-1 and the character interactions and have come to the conclusion that I would LOVE if Richard Dean Anderson were to show run the new proposed Stargate.

Why?

Because with Gekko came a true understanding of what made SG-1 special...and that is, the TEAM. The people. The interaction between and relationships of the characters with each other. They didn't use big names to build out the cast but rather took relative unknowns who had a strong chemistry with each other and made magic. We cared about the team because we felt how they cared about each other.

I don't sense that bond on SG-1 anymore and that saddens me. It seems as though the current direction of the series lacks that emotional core it used to have and I have to at least consider the possibility that this was due to the influence of Richard Dean Anderson, both in front of the camera as Jack O'Neill but also...and perhaps MORE importantly...as a showrunner.
                I think that having RDA as showrunner for the third series could be fantastic if he wanted to take on the job - maybe Sam, Daniel and Teal'c, along with some new characters, could move on to the spin-off about an Asgard ship suggested in the Sam thread.

The team interaction was one of the best things about the earlier seasons of SG-1 but I don't see that bond anymore and I agree that it is sad. If there is a third Stargate series, I would love to see that same magic there.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
                  Yes, I want to see RDA make a complete ass of himself like he did in Season 8. No, I don't mind the occasional guest starring but I'm glad Mitchell is leader of SG-1 now.
                  Please actually read the thread before you type things that are blindingly off-topic. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
                    I haven't posted in months but I have to agree with Uber SG1 Fan. With the present situation with Stargate (yes, I know there are people who still love it) I think that RDA's involvement in ANY way could only be positive. There are a multitute of reasons to explain the problems of seasons 9 and now 10, some of which the fans will never be privy to. RDA isn't god but he did seem to know what worked both onscreen and off in producing a quality show. I, for one, would welcome him back. And oh, I don't mind being accused of not liking change. I watched season 9 and I DON'T like the changes...apparantly I'm not alone.
                    I agree. He seems to have a talent and a knack for making really good tv. He finds those he has chemistry with and ensures that connection comes through the screen...because if we don't feel how much they care about each other, why should we bother?

The writing also seemed to be tighter and sharper. It was also smarter. It painted a picture but let the viewer think for themselves. The humor was also sharper I think...snarky and yet grown-up. I appreciated that more than the current trends and I think these things can be attributed to Gekko's influence.

And whereas you don't mind being accused of not liking change, I find it tiresome. It's such a broad brush we're being painted with that conveniently disregards the salient points we make because "we don't like change." But as I said before, change is inevitable in life and I accept change as a given. But change has no value in and of itself. One can only judge the changes in the show by the consequences we can perceive onscreen. I perceive a long series of BAD changes.

So again...I think that if SciFi is smart, they'll go back to the tried and true showrunning Gekko provided for the third incarnation of the franchise (if not for the first).

Comment

Perhaps he could still do an occasional guest appearance as Jack, but I think that the third incarnation could benefit a lot from his presence as a show runner even if Jack never appears in it.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                        Perhaps he could still do an occasional guest appearance as Jack, but I think that the third incarnation could benefit a lot from his presence as a show runner even if Jack never appears in it.
                        True. I associate Jack with SG-1 so I'd want to see more of him there.

As for RDA, I think he needs to be involved behind the scenes for this new show and for SG-1 as well because he just has that gift I think for really good storytelling.

Comment

True. I associate Jack with SG-1 so I'd want to see more of him there.

As for RDA, I think he needs to be involved behind the scenes for this new show and for SG-1 as well because he just has that gift I think for really good storytelling.
                          Do you think that they would have a third series running at the same time as SG-1? Their resources - creative as well as financial - could end up being stretched pretty thin if they did.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                            Do you think that they would have a third series running at the same time as SG-1? Their resources - creative as well as financial - could end up being stretched pretty thin if they did.
                            Well in my perfect little Mary Beth world, I'd love to see RDA come back to SG-1 so that it goes out on a high note...be it this year or next or whenever. And then when the new series is ready, he'll be there to showrun that.

Comment

Uh...ex-squeeze me?

I was talking about Richard Dean Anderson potentially working behind the scenes. I never commented about him being in front of the camera as Jack O'Neill, although I'd love to see more Jack because I loved the character. Please don't paint me into your preconceived, "doesn't like the show because she can't deal with change" box I've seen others use. Good change is fine. Change for the worse is not.

And the comments that RDA have been making indicate to me at least that he's taken a year off and is ready to be more active in the biz again so there's nothing wrong in suggesting the notion of him showrunning SG-1 or the third incarnation.

And don't tell me to "get over it." It's rude, presumptuous and completely uncalled for.
                              Missinterpreted your post. My bad.

It would be nice to have him involved behind the scenes on all the shows. It's not going to happen, but it would be nice.

Comment

I could definitely go with RDA being the EP of a potential third incarnation of Stargate, with Gecko a whole slew of new writers. If he's up to it (and there's no way to tell if he is), then I think it would be a pretty smart move on Sci Fi/MGM's part.

It'd be great if that plan was in the works.

Comment

Working...
                                X