Star Trek Ships vs. Stargate Ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tetsujin View Post
    I honestly dont count the drones movement speed as realistic. They are like old school zombies or something that just seem like they arent a threat.
    Agreed, I think Geordie did state how fast a drone can move in Descent and I believe it was stated to be comparable to a Human, but I do agree that they should be faster.

In reality the drones would be able to move as fast or faster than the species they came from due to technological augmentation and the nanoprobes being able to make all biological processes more efficent(Oxygen intake and distribution, and muscle byproducts that cause tiredness and soreness).
    Agreed, all attributes of the being who's been assimilated should be optimized and shouldn't get less efficient.

I just see the the biological components of the borg being a weakness. The whole borgs MO seems odd in that they are trying to attain perfection but that being attained with biological limitations is unlikely. It can be awesome but definitely a limiting factor.
    Personally I never understood the point of assimilating, other than to increase numbers, but they could just create their own genetically enhanced being based off of the aliens they encounter, but that never seemed to occur to them.
    I think a being created from scratch, with all of the best things you can get from a variety of lifeforms would make for a tougher, more intelligent lifeform, plus it would be easier to control if that's what's intended, because you can engineer better compatibility with machinery into the brain and nervous system.

I wish we could have seen Seven of Nine get into a fight to know the full extent of her physical capabilities with the limited, in compared to an average drone, implants she has remaining. She boasted of her enhanced physical capability, then had to fight The Rock(as an alien with unknown physical capacity) so who knows how strong and fast she is compared to a canon human, vulcan, klingon, ect.(notice I said canon not how it was represented by the show but the canon of each species and in many times the capability of an average human in the case of Vulcans and Klingons).
    I agree (again lol ), it would have been interesting.
    There was an episode where she faced Captain Janeway in a game on the holodeck, but she lost because she didn't use her intuition or rather she didn't believe in it, yet Janeway had faith in her own and used it to beat Seven's supposedly superior attributes, this shouldn't happen, but she still lost.

Even taking into account all of this, I dont think they would fight, I think they would integrate into each other since their goals don't necessarily conflict. If they did fight however it would be a fight of ingenuity not force. Borg hive mind vs Replicator processors. From that perspective, pure machines aren't really known to be abstract thinkers in any scifi universe.
    I think because both groups don't just fire without provocation they may not fire a single shot at each other.
    If some battle did start I still think with what we've seen the Borg would defeat the Reps pretty easily, because of their superior starting point on the weapons front.

Originally posted by rushy View Post
    The Borg would defeat humanity. At least in Season 1 of SG1.
    The Borg have fast ships, really they should have intergalactic capabilities unless the Q have isolated this galaxy and block them from leaving.
    The Borg should be easily capable of defeating any race from SG that we've seen in action, given what ST weapons are capable of doing to commonly targeted materials.

Originally posted by BlarghConnor View Post
    ZPM Powered Hive Ship? That would take out the majority.
    ST has relativistic weapons, things like photon torpedoes are flying at thousands of miles per second, a kinetic impact from a relativistic weapon weighing over a hundred kilograms would turn to plasma and cause massive damage even to the hull armor of a ZPM powered Hive.
    Weapons from Cardassian and Romulan ships could destroy low percentages of a planet's crust from an opening volley of a single ship, Federation starships and klingon ones are similar in offensive capabilities, so if they can destroy large portions of a planet then they would vaporize a Super Hive in seconds.

Atlantis's shields were drained by a weapon (the asuran satellite) that couldn't even flash vaporize a small asteroid, ST ships take more than that kind of firepower, much more, so I doubt Super Hive weapons would level the playing field.
    Of course the Asuran satllite is less powerful than the super hive in the weapons area, so they may be a threat, but wouldn't cause instant shield failure on contact.

Comment

Of all the Star Trek powers to put into Stargate I think the one that would have the most success in the long run would be the Romulans.

The Romulans aren't going to try to directly attack nasty powers like the Wraith or Ori or whatever. They'll scheme instead, acquiring their technology, abducting their people with transporters for interrogation/mental reprogramming etc. The fun they could have with a petty, arrogant and paranoid bunch like the Goa'uld for example would be legendary.

Their widespread use of cloaking technology is going to play merry hell to. Since it's barely used in Stargate where as it's used on pretty much everything the Romulans have. Puts them in a perfect position to monitor and interfere at will with everyone's business without anyone knowing they're there.

If you put them in the MW I could easily see them expanding to conquer the whole thing given a few years to fully integrate some of the more interesting SG techs with their own. The only real opposition in that sandbox would be Earth and the Lucian alliance. Earth can be cratered by a decloaking Romulan fleet in a few hours if it gets too uppity, and the Lucian alliance is going to be so filled up with surgically altered Romulan intelligence officers and spies that it's probably where they'll end up getting most of their basic SG technology from.

Comment

I am back for a while I will not go through all of the posts as I don't have the time...
        Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
        Agreed, I think Geordie did state how fast a drone can move in Descent and I believe it was stated to be comparable to a Human, but I do agree that they should be faster.
        Agreed, all attributes of the being who's been assimilated should be optimized and shouldn't get less efficient.
        I haven't seen these episodes so please enlighten me

I agree (again lol ), it would have been interesting.
        There was an episode where she faced Captain Janeway in a game on the holodeck, but she lost because she didn't use her intuition or rather she didn't believe in it, yet Janeway had faith in her own and used it to beat Seven's supposedly superior attributes, this shouldn't happen, but she still lost.
        Would you like to tell me what episode that would be.

I think because both groups don't just fire without provocation they may not fire a single shot at each other.
        If some battle did start I still think with what we've seen the Borg would defeat the Reps pretty easily, because of their superior starting point on the weapons front.
        If you say is true do you have evidence to back up your opinion. And even the images are acceptable however you should note that dialogue can provide a better image of what happened, like when alternate Carter said that Goa'uld blasts are 200 MT. it doesn't show that because of some plot hole or something like that. Or like photon torpedo are however many isotons but we don't see the effect due to some plot hole or budget constraints. Also back up evidence with reputable sources like stargate.wikia.com or memory-alpha.org. en.wikipedia.com is ok to use. NO SITES SUCH AS st-v-sw.net

The Borg have fast ships, really they should have intergalactic capabilities unless the Q have isolated this galaxy and block them from leaving.
        The Borg should be easily capable of defeating any race from SG that we've seen in action, given what ST weapons are capable of doing to commonly targeted materials.
        Yes they have. NOT. This is based on writers decision to have it sealed off or to have them go. Its entirely up to the writers of both series.
        As for the defeating of SG races I am not so sure as I have 0 reputable sources confirming. And I even should be backing up with evidence since I admit I really don't.

ST has relativistic weapons, things like photon torpedoes are flying at thousands of miles per second, a kinetic impact from a relativistic weapon weighing over a hundred kilograms would turn to plasma and cause massive damage even to the hull armor of a ZPM powered Hive.
        Weapons from Cardassian and Romulan ships could destroy low percentages of a planet's crust from an opening volley of a single ship, Federation starships and klingon ones are similar in offensive capabilities, so if they can destroy large portions of a planet then they would vaporize a Super Hive in seconds.
        I don't think heat will damage it. They obviously gained their technology from the Ancients and thus use them. Also it would seem natural to adapt to the new APBW they introduced. They've been adapting for several hundred years so what it seemed like. They also adapted the Ancient language into their own dialect. And also if the Drones are heat generated to go though the hull then Wraith hull should have deteriorated very quickly but no they didn't. Did they? And the wraith hull can sustain one to a few MkVIII depending on where it hit.
        Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Wraith#Beginnings
        Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Wraith_technology
        Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_VIII
        Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Daedalus
        Atlantis's shields were drained by a weapon (the asuran satellite) that couldn't even flash vaporize a small asteroid, ST ships take more than that kind of firepower, much more, so I doubt Super Hive weapons would level the playing field.
        Of course the Asuran satllite is less powerful than the super hive in the weapons area, so they may be a threat, but wouldn't cause instant shield failure on contact.
        Well the asteroid was dense enough to be intercepted and be slowly broken down while Atlantis shield was dropped and therefore had enough thrust. And the weapons were designed by the Asurans however they are copies of the Ancients so it is logical that they would know how to defeat their shields. Also the beam was still effectively breaking into the water of the planet Lantea. So that levels the playing field for Stargate.
        Well it nearly caused instant shield failure for the Apollo.
        Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Asura...gate_satellite
        Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/First_Strike
        Originally posted by wikia
        The ship's energy shields are quickly drained. Before it is seriously damaged, though, the satellite rotates, moving the beam down to the planet, sweeping toward Atlantis

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
        Of all the Star Trek powers to put into Stargate I think the one that would have the most success in the long run would be the Romulans.

The Romulans aren't going to try to directly attack nasty powers like the Wraith or Ori or whatever. They'll scheme instead, acquiring their technology, abducting their people with transporters for interrogation/mental reprogramming etc. The fun they could have with a petty, arrogant and paranoid bunch like the Goa'uld for example would be legendary.
        Sorry but transporters don't work with Wraith hives! With acquiring technology plausible at best. Here's a few questions I will throw. How will operatives get on board say Goa'uld mothership? How will they beam people out of them? How will they get Goa'uld's since most of the Jaffa are using Tretonin brain washed? And even if it did work people will start to notice changes. And infiltrating will require them to look like a Jaffa, have a closing pouch from the use of tretonin have their cultural recognition of where they came from and the actual bottle of Tretonin used or the dose bottles. How will they get those without being detected.
        Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Jamming_codes
        Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Tretonin

Their widespread use of cloaking technology is going to play merry hell to. Since it's barely used in Stargate where as it's used on pretty much everything the Romulans have. Puts them in a perfect position to monitor and interfere at will with everyone's business without anyone knowing they're there.
        SG does use cloaks however not to this frequency but yes they are familiar to the use of cloaking something. And who know if heat can be detected in their cloak?
        Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Cloak

If you put them in the MW I could easily see them expanding to conquer the whole thing given a few years to fully integrate some of the more interesting SG techs with their own. The only real opposition in that sandbox would be Earth and the Lucian alliance. Earth can be cratered by a decloaking Romulan fleet in a few hours if it gets too uppity, and the Lucian alliance is going to be so filled up with surgically altered Romulan intelligence officers and spies that it's probably where they'll end up getting most of their basic SG technology from.
        I see a few problems with this argument and I've already listed a few reasons why above in the first segment. Some of which has already been attempted and done either failing or succeeding.
        First is with Telford which succeeded. Second was with Lucian Alliance pilot failed miserably in the first 10 minutes of detection. And how will they get intel? Also earth does have brain washing technology in research I believe and they have used it many times and is counteract able same source.
        Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Brainwashing
        Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Alliances
        Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Subversion
        Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Incursion,_Part_1
        Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Incursion,_Part_2
        Originally posted by BlarghConnor View Post
        ZPM Powered Hive Ship? That would take out the majority.
        Proof?
        Originally posted by rushy View Post
        The Borg would defeat humanity. At least in Season 1 of SG1.
        Evidence?
        Critical thinking is virtue
        Originally posted by Tetsujin View Post
        Even taking into account all of this, I dont think they would fight, I think they would integrate into each other since their goals don't necessarily conflict. If they did fight however it would be a fight of ingenuity not force. Borg hive mind vs Replicator processors. From that perspective, pure machines aren't really known to be abstract thinkers in any scifi universe.
        However faced with defeat Replicators are quickly adapting to whats new that has been introduced
        Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Replicator
        Source: SG1 Season 4 Episode 1 Small Victories
        INT—THOR'S SHIP.
        CARTER
        Yes!
        [She hugs Thor who seems surprised.]
        CARTER
        God! I'm sorry, I didn't hurt you, did I?
        THOR
        I am fine.
        CARTER
        We did it!
        THOR
        It was your stupid idea, Major Carter.
        (Later)
        THOR
        Saving one Asgard planet was a small victory, O'Neill. The conflict with the replicators stretches across my galaxy. Major Carter's strategy worked this time, but the replicators are very intelligent. It may not work again.
        [O'Neill looks at Carter and Teal'c]
        That's fair enough, IMO it's important to pay attention to what you're writing on here.

Rep bugs don't necessarily move so fast that the Borg drones wouldn't be able to deal with them, so I don't see how bringing them up really has an impact on a war between the Ida Replicators and the Borg.
        You think they move so fast they can catch them in swarms that can be quite deadly.
        sigpic

Comment

Why is it so many people on GW think the Replicators can defend against every level of energy output?
          Just because the Reps can handle some energy weapons that have been used against them in SG, that doesn't mean they can handle greater levels of power then they've been seen to take.
          Originally posted by Stargate.wikia.com
          The blocks are capable of absorbing large amounts of energy, which can empower them. The Asgard's dependence on energy weapons made it difficult for them to develop a weapon which could effectively counter the Replicator blocks. Tau'ri guns were capable of permanently damaging Replicator blocks (at most it would take two or three shots) but Human form Replicators are impervious to them.
          And even the human forms like Oberoth can sustain multiple kill shots from Ronan's gun for heaven sakes!
          Goauld energy weapons from their motherships have only been shown to destroy buildings the size of a few stories high and nothing more.
          The Asgard are undoubtedly stronger than this, but they're still threatened by such weapons in unknoown quanitites.
          Have you heard of the words Artistic License. Even I can model something so dense like a explosion from the shots from Goa'uld motherships. So modelers with SG can't even produce something massive as a explosion
          There is few source, as I ask the question at the convention and I had a lead CG-modeler answer that!
          Source: Blender system: www.blender.org
          The Reps can't just magic away every level of energy output, they can deal with the levels of output we've seen them take from SG vessels, but ST has been shown to easily destroy mountains, wipe out thoutsands of meters of ground matter with ease, SG hasn't been shown to take this, so how can the Replicators take this kind of firepower?
          Refer to the more recent post^^

You've already stated this in a previous post, so you're just repeating this same point and tbh we've seen borg drones move pretty quickly, Rep bugs don't move much faster than your average person.
          They can be targeted and shot at by Jaffa, so they're not that fast.
          Rep bugs would need to get onboard a cube or another borg vessel, which would mean penetrating shields they've never come into contact with, or the Borg beaming this new form of tech aboard their ships, which I guess is possible, but it would take time for the Rep bugs to adapt to any new restraints the Borg put in place and the Borg would also adjust their tactics in quick time too.

BTW this discussion is meant to be about ship vs ship and not person vs person (or rep bug in the case of the replicators).
          The Reps have adapted to ships of SG level, evidence shows that the weapons used by Federation level races are far more powerful than what's been shown to be fired from SG ships, so the Replicators would have a long way to go to adapt their tech to be a threat to that of ST.
          My brain is hurting
          One Beaming is not allowed for Asgard transporters don't know if that will stop Borg transporters.
          I am only stating one because my brain hurts from typing 2 posts of long and simplicity
          James
          sigpic

Comment

I don't have the time right now to do a reply to everything here Qingbest, but basically every point you've raise has already been refuted time and time again, by either Tetsujin, myself or another poster within this thread.

I won't waste my time dealing with your points, since you don't actually read mine and create anything new that everbody else arguing against ST winning hasn't already said.

BTW something that hasn't been brought up before is within the episode of SG1 Beachhead we see parts of the Supergate coming through a gate, before assembling themselves into the Supergate one hits a 303's shields doing massive damage to them and another goes straight through a Ha'Tak's shields destroying the ship.
            These supergate parts don't emit any weird energy field, their pure kinetic energy is what does the damage and they aren't moving faster than a bullet.

This example shows that a large projectile, moving at sub relativistic speeds can destroy a Ha'Tak, a single torpedo would be moving much faster and would go straight through a Ha'Tak's shields with ease, if we take this example into consideration.
            Since this isn't the only example we have of high powered weapons in ST, it has to be excepted IMO that ST has the superior weapons and thus shields.

The only area ST lacks in is speed and not in all circumstances.
            It's not stated in ST episodes or movies that the Q have created some barrier around the MW to stop races from leaving, if they had then it would also stop SG races from doing so too and they'd be bound to the galaxy by an omnipotent race that is more advanced than the Ancients in ascended form.

Comment

I don't have the time right now to do a reply to everything here Qingbest, but basically every point you've raise has already been refuted time and time again, by either Tetsujin, myself or another poster within this thread.

I won't waste my time dealing with your points, since you don't actually read mine and create anything new that everbody else arguing against ST winning hasn't already said.

BTW something that hasn't been brought up before is within the episode of SG1 Beachhead we see parts of the Supergate coming through a gate, before assembling themselves into the Supergate one hits a 303's shields doing massive damage to them and another goes straight through a Ha'Tak's shields destroying the ship.
              These supergate parts don't emit any weird energy field, their pure kinetic energy is what does the damage and they aren't moving faster than a bullet.

This example shows that a large projectile, moving at sub relativistic speeds can destroy a Ha'Tak, a single torpedo would be moving much faster and would go straight through a Ha'Tak's shields with ease, if we take this example into consideration.
              Since this isn't the only example we have of high powered weapons in ST, it has to be excepted IMO that ST has the superior weapons and thus shields.

The only area ST lacks in is speed and not in all circumstances.
              It's not stated in ST episodes or movies that the Q have created some barrier around the MW to stop races from leaving, if they had then it would also stop SG races from doing so too and they'd be bound to the galaxy by an omnipotent race that is more advanced than the Ancients in ascended form.
              In all fairness the Gemhadir used kamakazi attacks on klingon vessels and the shields didn't stop them.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                In all fairness the Gemhadir used kamakazi attacks on klingon vessels and the shields didn't stop them.
                At least with those we have a statement of full impulse or high speed being used, which we know is relativistic speed.
                All we see with the gate segments is they're traveling at low, low sublight speeds, like sub bullet level, this coupled together with the fact that Ori main beams from their ships do next nothing to a mountain compared to an NX-01's phase cannons gives us multiple sources of evidence supporting the fact that kinetic energy attacks of greater power would be very lethal to Ha'Taks.

With ST ships there's also shields interacting with shields entering the equation.

Comment

What about the Breen, they could beat everyone in stargate as they would render them incapable of fighting back.

Comment

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
                    What about the Breen, they could beat everyone in stargate as they would render them incapable of fighting back.
                    It would depend on whether the type of energy dampening weapon the Breen used is effective against SG technology.
                    I will say that as Ouroboros stated with the Romulans the widespread cloaking tech that the Breen have could basically make it possible for them to move an entire fleet onto most enemy's doorsteps and strike with stealth.
                    When it comes to firepower the Breen were comparable to pretty much everyone besides the Borg, 8472 and considering their tech level compared to Voyager and the fact that they could do things the Borg and even 8472 have been shown to do The Voth would have to be high up the ST offense level.

I wouldn't put it passed the Breen owning every SG power just as the Feds, Klingons or anyone of that level could, the only area they lack in is speed, but they more than make up for that slight disadvantage with sheer numbers, just like every major race of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
                      It would depend on whether the type of energy dampening weapon the Breen used is effective against SG technology.
                      I will say that as Ouroboros stated with the Romulans the widespread cloaking tech that the Breen have could basically make it possible for them to move an entire fleet onto most enemy's doorsteps and strike with stealth.
                      When it comes to firepower the Breen were comparable to pretty much everyone besides the Borg, 8472 and considering their tech level compared to Voyager and the fact that they could do things the Borg and even 8472 have been shown to do The Voth would have to be high up the ST offense level.

I wouldn't put it passed the Breen owning every SG power just as the Feds, Klingons or anyone of that level could, the only area they lack in is speed, but they more than make up for that slight disadvantage with sheer numbers, just like every major race of the show.

Comment

What about the Son'a with their subspace weapons, I have no doubt they would be attracted to hyperdrives and we've yet to see a method to eject overloading drives or beam them out.

Comment

I wouldn't be sure that the subspace weapons of the Son'a would be attracted to hyperdrive engines in the same way they were to the Warp Core of the Enterprise E, mainly because they are entirely different methods of propulsion from different Sci-Fi universes, they could be but there's an equal chance they may not.

BTW Prometheus ejected it's hyperdrive core quite easily so there's a precedent for easy ejection being possible and it wouldn't make sense for Earth to abandone something that clearly worked well on the 303.

Comment

Originally posted by qingbest View Post
                            Sorry but transporters don't work with Wraith hives! With acquiring technology plausible at best. Here's a few questions I will throw. How will operatives get on board say Goa'uld mothership? How will they beam people out of them? How will they get Goa'uld's since most of the Jaffa are using Tretonin brain washed? And even if it did work people will start to notice changes. And infiltrating will require them to look like a Jaffa, have a closing pouch from the use of tretonin have their cultural recognition of where they came from and the actual bottle of Tretonin used or the dose bottles. How will they get those without being detected.
                            Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Jamming_codes
                            Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Tretonin
                            Couple things there. First you don't have to abduct them right off the hives. The Wraith have plenty of little bases and landing parties scattered around. They could even do something as simple as just beam a few dart pilots out of a culling into a cloaked warbird's brig. The Wraith would just think the darts went out of control and crashed for some reason but would never suspect it was because an enemy ship they couldn't see made the pilot vanish in mid flight.

The Romulans wouldn't want the Wraith for interrogation purposes so much as dissection though. They might try to interrogate some of them but the main idea would be to learn about their biology and how to kill them more efficiently. I have far more confidence in their ability to develop some sort of nasty doomsday bioweapon than Earth's. Not to attack hives directly but to contaminate all their feeding ground planets and food stock should they ever prove an enemy of the empire. They won't use it willy nilly though. The Wraith are in another galaxy and the Romulans wouldn't fight them for no reason. They're not goofy like the SGC that way.

The Romulans won't care that they eat humans either, might even find it amusing.

SG does use cloaks however not to this frequency but yes they are familiar to the use of cloaking something. And who know if heat can be detected in their cloak?
                            Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Cloak
                            No, definitely not heat. The Roms do know that their cloaks aren't completely foolproof though (vs the Federation at least) so they would be prepared for the possibility that they might be detectable in certain situations.

I see a few problems with this argument and I've already listed a few reasons why above in the first segment. Some of which has already been attempted and done either failing or succeeding.
                            First is with Telford which succeeded. Second was with Lucian Alliance pilot failed miserably in the first 10 minutes of detection. And how will they get intel? Also earth does have brain washing technology in research I believe and they have used it many times and is counteract able same source.
                            Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Brainwashing
                            Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Alliances
                            Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Subversion
                            Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Incursion,_Part_1
                            Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Incursion,_Part_2
                            The main issue is that the Star Empire in the TNG era has a decent piece of a quadrant of the galaxy and a fleet numbering in the thousands of cloakable warships that can fling anti matter warheads around. They're not really a tiny little power like Earth or the Lucian alliance who are now 2 out of 3 of their main rivals. The only one they'd have to really be careful about is maybe the Free Jaffa. Depending on how well a Ha'tak measures up to a warbird in a straight up a fight.

They'll prefer to use subterfuge and subtlety to get their way but it's not like that'll be all they can do, especially once they sprinkle a bit of naquada into their anti matter weapons. If it can make a 20th century nuke into a gigaton scale weapon I'd love to see what it would do to one of those.

Comment

It's true that the Romulans would have an advantage with their cloaking technology and covert tactics, at least initially. Two things we know about Earth and the SGC is that before they acquired all the technology from the Asgard and others, they were fairly accustomed to engaging an enemy that outclassed them significantly, generally using their enemies own technology and tactics against them. Second, we know that they're generally good at adapting to most enemies and combat situations.

For example, if Earth decided that the Romulans were in fact a serious threat, they might break some of their own rules and ask McKay to construct some "Romulanized" F.R.A.N.'s to infiltrate them. Or perhaps commandeer some Wraith Hive Ships and interface them with a ZPM since apparently when that's done the ships sensors can detect cloaked ships. Unorthodox moves like that have generally characterized Earth's resolve to fight an enemy.

In spite of the Romulans use of stealth and subterfuge, I think their Achilles heal, much like the Goa'uld, is their pride. Given enough time something like that can prove to be useful to the Romulan's enemies just like it had been with the Goa'uld.
                              Last edited by Aesop; 17 December 2011, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
                                It's true that the Romulans would have an advantage with their cloaking technology and covert tactics, at least initially. Two things we know about Earth and the SGC is that before they acquired all the technology from the Asgard and others, they were fairly accustomed to engaging an enemy that outclassed them significantly, generally using their enemies own technology and tactics against them. Second, we know that they're generally good at adapting to most enemies and combat situations.
                                The Romulans have faced off against far more intelligent groups than 21st century Humans, the federation have used covert tactics in multiple scenarios and they aren't always the most advanced race taking part in conflicts, yet they have always prevailed, because they are highly adaptive to each challenge they come accross.
                                The Federation is always about improving themselves, yet the Romulans can keep up, which is because they don't become complacent.

For example, if Earth decided that the Romulans were in fact a serious threat, they might break some of their own rules and ask McKay to construct some "Romulanized" F.R.A.N.'s to infiltrate them.
                                The Romulans have experience with devices that brake apart particles and put them back together again, it's highly likely their vessel's internal sensors would detect some creation that isn't human and find a way to detain them.
                                I'm not saying that it wouldn't cause them some aggrevation, but I doubt they could be used in any way to actually bring down such a large culture as the Romulan race.

Or perhaps commandeer some Wraith Hive Ships and interface them with a ZPM since apparently when that's done the ships sensors can detect cloaked ships. Unorthodox moves like that have generally characterized Earth's resolve to fight an enemy.
                                The problem here is there aren't many ZPMs in existence and it's unlikely the few that are about would be used in anything besides 304s or Ancient tech Earth has.
                                Even if this tactic was used photon torpedoes fly at close to light speed, a projectile weighing over a hundred kilos would tear through even Super Hive armor with ease.

In spite of the Romulans use of stealth and subterfuge, I think their Achilles heal, much like the Goa'uld, is their pride. Given enough time something like that can prove to be useful to the Romulan's enemies just like it had been with the Goa'uld.
                                The Romulans aren't prideful for no reason, they've faced off against massive fleets, for long drawn out conflicts, against powers far more impressive than the Goauld and their level of offensive and defensive tech.
                                The Federation are nothing if not humble, yet they haven't defeated the Romulans, they level peg them in conflict terms, maybe their size makes them superior, but still the Romulans know when to quite, they wouldn't fall for the kinds of tactics SG teams employ, tbh any team like SG1 would be detected with ship board sensors and teams could be easily detained inside of internal forcefields before they can get anywhere serious.

Comment

Working...
                                X