This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Weir
    Lots of weak minded ppl would believe anything, just think of all the cults on earth.
    Well, how do you define what faiths are, or are not, cults?

By public opinion?
    By how many members it has?
    By how much respect it receives from other religions and non-believers?

It seems to me, that depending on your definition, all religions could have been considered a cult at some point in their history.

My 1990 edition of Webster's New Word Dictionary defines cult as "1. a system of religious worship or ritual, 2. devoted attachment to a person, principle, etc."

That's a pretty broad definition.

I don't mean to pick on you, but at what point does a faith gain enough legitimacy that its followers are no longer considered weak-minded?
    Last edited by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime; 01 September 2005, 06:10 PM.

Comment

the ORii could just say that they have waited to reveal their true nature until our civilization was ready for the return of gods. But, with the "proof" the Orii would provide to back their claims, people who believe would probably be hard pressed to disagree, even if the religion itself contradicts the Orii.
      'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wandering Tamer
        the ORii could just say that they have waited to reveal their true nature until our civilization was ready for the return of gods. But, with the "proof" the Orii would provide to back their claims, people who believe would probably be hard pressed to disagree, even if the religion itself contradicts the Orii.
        So far, they don't seem the type to lie.

Oh, yes, they pose as gods, but they're probably deluded enough to believe that, and technically, I suppose by most measures they are gods.

Comment

I've noticed too that some of qasim's posts are coming before the posts that he quoted. I don't know why, maybe he has a faster connection?
          Its happening to me more than anyone else because I reply very quickly after a post has been posted
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
            Well, how do you define what faiths are, or are not, cults?

By public opinion?
            By how many members it has?
            By how much respect it receives from other religions and non-believers?

It seems to me, that depending on your definition, all religions could have been considered a cult at some point in their history.

My 1990 edition of Webster's New Word Dictionary defines cult as "1. a system of religious worship or ritual, 2. devoted attachment to a person, principle, etc."

That's a pretty broad definition.

I don't mean to pick on you, but at what point does a faith gain enough legitimacy that its followers are no longer considered weak-minded?
            When a cult takes alot money from ppl out of greed, encourage mass suicides, believe in alien stuff and use ppl to work for them for free, starve ppl so they are too weak to fight back and other such crap.
            sigpic

Comment

When a cult takes alot money from ppl out of greed, encourage mass suicides, believe in alien stuff and use ppl to work for them for free, starve ppl so they are too weak to fight back and other such crap.
              Thank you for the clarification.

Most folks view cults as a small group of crackpots; but, in reality, a cult is really just a new faith. The word cult has taken on a negative connotation recently.

Believing in the existence of extraterrestrials at least has a basis in logic, unlike many religious claims.

Representatives of established faiths, not just small cults, have been caught taking money and taking advantage of worshippers.

Mass suicides and forced starvation are pretty extreme. This typically occurs as the religion is on its way out, which can happen pretty quickly for a new religion.

Whether you pray to Allah, Yahweh, Jehovah, Buddha, or Extraterrestrials, it's all the same to me. Since I don't have a religion, I tend to view them, even the cults, with the same level of legitimacy. I respect the beliefs of others, but I don't believe a word of any of it.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest that anyone who practices a faith is weak-minded; although I would admit to sometimes being completely perplexed by their reasoning.

Comment

That's just it: it isn't reasoning. By it's very nature <from what I understand of it> faith doesn't need a basis, because it transcends that. No proof, no facts.

Which brings up an interesting point, if faith doesn't need such things, then why do the Orii have their Priors perform "acts of God" to try and convince people. True faith shouldn't require that. Does that prove that the Orii know that their words alone are not enough and so they use their Priors to convince people?

Did that make any sense?
                'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

lol... good definition of a cult
                  The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by Wandering Tamer
                    That's just it: it isn't reasoning. By it's very nature <from what I understand of it> faith doesn't need a basis, because it transcends that. No proof, no facts.

Which brings up an interesting point, if faith doesn't need such things, then why do the Orii have their Priors perform "acts of God" to try and convince people. True faith shouldn't require that. Does that prove that the Orii know that their words alone are not enough and so they use their Priors to convince people?

Did that make any sense?
                    Well, just because someone has faith in something, doesn't necessarily mean they can't hold a rational discussion. That's the challenge, to bridge the gap between faith and reason, so folks can share their views without getting defensive.

Comment

People should never have a conversation about politics or religion with some people because they will always have their disagreements on those two topics and end up argueing.
                      The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by eoin
                        People should never have a conversation about politics or religion with some people because they will always have their disagreements on those two topics and end up argueing.
                        And for this reason people invented the word 'respect', which the orii don't have, because they'll kill you if you doubt in their power bladibladibla.

So to get back ON TOPIC, the Orii would kill allot of people on earth to get our attention and the rest will suddenly go into survivalmode.

Comment

It would all depend on how the Ori and Priors went about their "preaching" on Earth, as all religions have disagreements or clashes over doctrines/beliefs etc.... If the Priors looked human and played down Origin for a while and built up enough support they could make a religious/philosophical "beachhead" here on Earth. If they got involved in well established organised religions they could eventually make a major impact...........alot of people would buy into the "miracles" a Prior could perform. Remember the Ori have a looooong time to go about it

And if enough people got involved then doing something about the Prior (i.e. eliminating him/her) could backfire spectacularly.........religions and religious people just love a martyr!

And just think of all the other kerfuffle and fallout if the Priors were exposed as aliens............the general population finding out the truth about alien life.......and the Stargate......and the fact that the governments of America, Russia, Britain, France, China etc etc have been keeping it secret for so long..........woo-hoo.........serious trouble!!

Scary to think about.......

Comment

Don't know how to do the quote thing sorry to who ever posted this but I think you just found the answer that DAniel is looking for to fight the Ori.
                            Religion and science are the same both explain Gods work.

Comment

I think the two main religions that will stand a chance against the ORI. Will be Islam and Christianity. Because even right now there fighting each other. Weird eh. Maybe not.
                              First born, Firsr Ruler and a double Saint

Comment

Working...
                              X