Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repository of Ancient Knowledge question...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Asguard most be really poor at data mining if they haven´t managed to create at least an index of what´s there. There can only be so many subjects and the first thing you do before exploring stuff in detail is ordering things in a logical fashion, then all you´d need to do was look up the relevant subject and you should be able to find what you need.

I call plothole on this.

Comment

Even then, id imagine that the amount of information would be vast. It's probably everything they ever did, history, maths, physics, technology (prob not just the most advanced stuff, everything), literature, pastimes etc. etc. A whole history of a race spanning millions of years would be too vast for us to comprehend and given the lack of administrative skills shown by the asgard, i doubt they would fare much better at it than we would.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Then I´d say that the ancients were poor programers, you´d think they would make the database more userfriendly. Guess they didn´t have to compete in a free economy to make the best product

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd
          There can only be so many subjects
          The universe is infinite and the data was designed to be accessed by the mind which doesnt always do things in a logical order
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd
            Then I´d say that the ancients were poor programers, you´d think they would make the database more userfriendly. Guess they didn´t have to compete in a free economy to make the best product
            In that case just reprogramming the database would give us all the knowledge. Don't think it would be that easy though.

Mckay: I made the repository work, we can now acces all the knowledge.
            Daniel: really ? in just 2 days.
            Mckay: yeah, it was easy, the repository was still running on windows 98, I upgraded it to linux, we've gut full acces now.

Comment

But then again, the Ancients probably did use Microsoft...
              JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
              VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
              MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
              LANDRY
              : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
              Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
              Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
              Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
                But then again, the Ancients probably did use Microsoft...
                I have always thought they used Unix
                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

The database, was probably first constructed, for use by Ancient children, only later to be used by us lowly humans, the rest of their technology, works on the same basis. A repository, as vast, and complex, as the Ancients repository is, would require an enormous amount of time, and effort, just to locate a particular subject, and to our knowledge the Ancients never created anything like, a Replicator disruptor, so they would have to look up relevant subjects, and then attempt to decipher the physics, mathematics, and engineering behind them, without an Ancient assisting, I would imagine this to be quite difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by BrotherNumsey
                    In that case just reprogramming the database would give us all the knowledge. Don't think it would be that easy though.

Mckay: I made the repository work, we can now acces all the knowledge.
                    Daniel: really ? in just 2 days.
                    Mckay: yeah, it was easy, the repository was still running on windows 98, I upgraded it to linux, we've gut full acces now.

LOL... No wonder they couldn't beat the wraith
                    as soon as they got a wraith ship in sight Computer crashed...
                    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
                      LOL... No wonder they couldn't beat the wraith
                      as soon as they got a wraith ship in sight Computer crashed...
                      The Ancients could really learn something by watching the new Battlestar Galactica...
                      JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                      VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                      MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                      LANDRY
                      : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                      Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                      Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                      Mmm... Green...

Comment

I have often wondered if theres any data on the ancients cooking methods and recipes, they are essentially human so seeing what they've learnt on nutrition would be interesting.

McKay "Recipes huh? See if they've got any good sandwich combinations"

Comment

Hopefully their food tastes good, I remember thor offering carter some asgard food.....

Comment

Before they can index it:
                            1.) an interface must be created to link the two platforms,
                            2.) the data has to be made accessible by mapping out the data structure which is huge,
                            3.) and then the Ancient code must be translated into Asgard code to read it.

Could take a while....

Comment

Originally posted by knowsfords
                              McKay "Recipes huh? See if they've got any good sandwich combinations"
                              Weir: 1 cup lemon juice from concentrate, 1/2 pound of chicken breast...
                              McKay: Wait! That's lemon chicken! Let see what they have on ZPMs...

If the repository does contain ALL the knowledge of the Ancients, then there is no way for us to use it. All the computer hard drives on Earth wouldn't be enough to store all that data.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                                Could take a while....
                                Especially considering there could be additional encryption so it unfolds in a mind gradually. Which is why atlantis is an important discovery, because not only is the ancient knowledge all laid out in a neat database but its easily accessable only needing translating from ancient to english.

Comment

Working...
                                X