X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

euphemisms

secrets = scientific information/technology
    ex: "next time, we will know all your secrets" (osiris to thor)
    "the secrets of the universe" (when referring to the knowledge one gains upon ascension

strength = ability to fight, defend against levels of technology
    ex: "the tauri are stronger than you know"

What is your point?
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Are you trying to tell us something or do you want other people to post euphenisms aswell
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

uh, i agree. i dont see where you're going with this.
        ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

lol i thought it was pretty self explanatory. sorry.

yeah, i meant for other people to post euphemisms as well. i just thought it was funny that in stargate you have a lingo that refers to advanced, galactic matters but it sounds like religious stuff from primitive societies...

so... euphemize away... lol

Comment

Sorry, but I have to agree, if you are using the term "euphemism" as it is usually defined. Your examples do not demonstrate the substitution of inoffensive terms for ones that would usually be considered offensively explicit.

So, please explain yourself a bit further. (I think I know what you are getting at, but I don't think you have explained your point fully. Yes, I do believe euphemisms are used in SG-1....but aren't they used everyday, on TV, radio, the newspapers, etc.?)

Thanks!
            On fighting:
            Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
            Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

wow...
              lol sorry

ok umm

i thought itd be funny to point out the lingo in stargate...

not necessarily sexual euphemisms, if thats the 'normal context' you were referring to... although... i remember hearing richard dean anderson talking about the staff weapon props... "it may be balsa, but it's still wood"... there ya go... sexual reference... lol

i guess the point of this thread is to point out euphemisms or whatever you call em to evoke humor from the lingo of stargate... lol -_-

Comment

im sorry, call me dumb but i still dont see what we're doing here...
                ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

well then. i guess this thread will die :'( lol

Comment

Originally posted by Charles17
                    wow...
                    lol sorry

ok umm

i thought itd be funny to point out the lingo in stargate...

not necessarily sexual euphemisms, if thats the 'normal context' you were referring to... although... i remember hearing richard dean anderson talking about the staff weapon props... "it may be balsa, but it's still wood"... there ya go... sexual reference... lol

i guess the point of this thread is to point out euphemisms or whatever you call em to evoke humor from the lingo of stargate... lol -_-
                    I was not referring to simply sexual euphemisms. People use them everyday, instead of saying "Oh yeah, Joe died", they'll say "Joe passed away".....

As for SG-1 AND SGA and almost every show on TV, euphemisms are used constantly. I wish I could you some examples, but right now, my brain is in need of nourishment and isn't working at peak performance levels. Sorry....I'll try again later.

But it was a good idea for a thread....seems people aren't quite "here" this weekend.
                    On fighting:
                    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

We just werent sure what the point of the thread was and we all need nourishment it seems
                      love Torri

Comment

Working...
                      X