Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a thread has a negative title I don't always read them, this doen't mean that they should not post them. If all the threads and posts were happy and fluffy I would probably BARF up. You don't have to read every thread and post.
    I can see why you would be annoyed at people who just slag off things without making a valid point but these threads usually disappear in a day or so. If you don't like someones thread don't post in it. Unless its personal to a particular person, nasty or against forum rules everyone can write what they want( Yes even about furlings).
    It would be nice if everyone could just chill and have a party.

Comment

What Shadow said.

Seriously, if all you want to read are posts that LOVE a show, that think a particular episode was PERFECT, that think all the characters are GODS that can do no wrong...well, you're in the wrong forum.

I too have recently noticed how posters with a negative opinion almost always get hit with a personal attack from "what's wrong with you" to "you're not a true fan" to "your life must be wretched." Besides toeing/crossing the line on forum rules, such comments add absolutely nothing to the current conversation and worse, take the focus away from an intelligent, mature convo where people can agree to disagree.

I'm off to Perriman's party.

Comment

The nice thing about Gateworld is that there's a place for everyone's opinion. Folks who absolutely despise something about the show can vent endlessly, and folks who adore one element of the show beyond all others can worship to their heart's content.

Then there's the HUGE middle ground where folks can discuss, nitpick, ponder, analyze, challenge, theorize and just giggle if they so choose.

Keep in mind that where you play is up to YOU. Most extreme threads die out after a bit from lack of interest. It's hard to sustain such violent hate (or love) for a long time. Eventually most folks calm down after they get their extreme emotional reactions out of their system and go back to just having fun.

You could ask yourself why you find the negativity upsetting. Does it challenge your own view of the show or a character? You could participate in a positive thread about the topic to give yourself a chance to express your own beliefs. Is looking at the negative aspects of something opposite to your own attitude towards life? You might then wish to participate only in the more positive threads that keep things lighter and are more in line with your philosphy.

But negativity here is neither good nor bad. It's just an opinion. You don't have to agree with someone if what they say clashes with your own views. Their opinions don't make them the enemy, or bad, or wrong. You might learn a lot about them, and about yourself, if you take the time to learn why they think the way they do.

Comment

I'm all in favor of constructive criticism.

However, yes, I'm tired of reading things like "Stargate should've ended in season 4", or in season 5. When I read something like this I want to scream. My God, man. We're in season 9. If you think the show should've ended 4 or 5 seasons AGO, what are you doing in a FAN forum 4/5 years later?

I've unsubbed from lists in the past because 90-something % were negative comments and I got fed up. See the irony? They were FAN lists of the show, I was (and I am) a FAN of the show, and I was the one that felt the need to unsub because lots of people who WEREN'T fans of the show anymore kept complaining about it?

Of course, when I say something like this, or others say something like this, those people who only complain, jump in and say that they have the right to state their opinions, that that is what forums/lists are for, etc, etc

Yes, everybody has the right to state his/her opinion and the whole point of forum/lists is to discuss certain topics, yes.

BUT...

Forum and lists are created so people with an interest in common can share their opinions. The key here is WITH A COMMON INTEREST. So, there're forums/lists for people who are fans of a certain author, a certain actor, a certain show, a certain hobby, etc, etc. In this case, this is a forum for fans of either Stargate Atlantis or Stargate SG-1, or both. FANS. Of course, people enjoy an episode better than other, people don't like a certain episode at all, etc. One thing is to comment on certain things that you don't like about a certain story arc or a couple of episodes, or a couple of characters. That's always welcome by everybody, as long as it's made in a constructive way, or at least providing it's not plain mean (i.e.: no "this sucks", no "it's garbage", etc).

But if you (a general "you" here) don't like the show anymore, if you don't like AT ALL season 9, if you think the show should've ended X seasons ago, if the show ended for you X years ago... well, how about moving on, or creating a forum or list for those who don't like the show anymore --> they would share a common interest, a dislike for the show as it is now, so it would be nice for those who share that interest to have a place where they all can talk about the show that they don't like anymore, and they wouldn't have to put up with all the fans of the show who make positive comments, or just make negative comments about certain issues from time to time.

So, in short, yes, I'm tired of a whole bunch of negative threads in a FAN forum. I believe that a FAN forum is to discuss a show among people who as a whole still love the show (and who can obviously dislike certain episodes or characters and say so, but who basically LOVE the show). And I believe people who don't like the show anymore, who are convinced the show should've ended X seasons ago, they should create their own mailing list and/or forum, providing they still want to waste their time posting about a show they don't like anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
            But, I must point out...isn't this a negative thread?
            Damn! I just came over here to point out the exact same thing!

I try to steer clear of the negative threads.

The one thread (just by the title) that makes me sad is 'Don't Stick Teyla With Ronon'. C'mon, that's doesn't sound really nice.

Granted it's better than the original title: 'Don't Stick Teyla With Dread-Lock Man'

I try to keep an open mind on things and then form an opinion. And if I do have a negative opinion I won't go spouting about it over in those anti-threads...

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
            Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Sometimes folks just need a place where they can go and vent. People obviously like SG1 and SGA, otherwise they wouldn't be at GW, but sometimes ya gotta go off and scream a bit. When I'm unhappy about a character or episode, I do my own bit of ranting - it doesn't mean I hate the shows. . . .IRL I just beat on my husband.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                What Shadow said.

Seriously, if all you want to read are posts that LOVE a show, that think a particular episode was PERFECT, that think all the characters are GODS that can do no wrong...well, you're in the wrong forum.
                I don't think anyone expects to read nothing but positive posts. I'm sure even tptb who read the forums want to see both what people liked and what they didn't. As long as it is done in a constructive manner there is no problem. As I have said many times, constructive criticism is good and helps the show get better.

However, let's say I wrote the script for Origin and I came to this forum looking for what people thought and I read the following:

Post 1:
                That episode was utter crap. The Ori...please...give me a break. They are a joke.

Post 2:
                I wasn't particularly impressed with this episode. To me, the Ori just don't seem very interesting or menacing. I hope the writers flesh out the villains a bit because right now they seem rather one-dimensional.

Which of the two posts is intended to help the show get better and which is intended to merely insult tptb? Shouldn't we as "fans" want to help the show get better rather than insult and rip the show? My problem is that there are too many here who just want to do the latter.

...just my $0.02
                Last edited by GateTraveler; 31 July 2005, 07:48 AM.

Comment

(raises her hand)

I'm sick of negative threads and I'm also sick of people who start the threads and post negative comments about the ACTORS and not the characters. We're here, hopefully, because we have a common interest, SG-1 and SGA. If you don't have anything nice to say, why say anything at all? However, (gulp), as this is a Forum, everyone has the right to their opinion, as long as they don't step over the bounds. So I don't see how we can keep this Forum and state, "NO Negative Threads". It would go against everything this place is supposed to be about....namely free expression. I know it doesn't always feel "free", but it's the best on the net, so let's just try and keep it fair and reasonable.

If you are "sick" of negative threads, just stay away from them. I've learned my lesson (the hard way, of course), and now ignore the threads and several of the people who seem to revel in making constant negative comments.

Have a great day and as always, this is just my opinion!
                  On fighting:
                  Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                  Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by GateMan2000
                    My "opinion" is, if you are so anti S9, anti Browder/Black or one who can't "live without RDA" and the show just "isn't the same" for you, then its time to move on and stop watching the show. Because i doubt things are going to change from their complaining. And TPTB really doesn't care what the ranters think.
                    That's the kind of opinion that tends to put people at odds with each other. If I had a nickel for every time I've read someone post something along those lines as the "solution" for people who are unhappy with the show I'd be Scrooge Mc-freaking-Duck by now.

Let me clarify up front that I am actually enjoying season 9 quite a bit. I may have a few minor nitpicks here and there but I am still loving the show so this isn't just me getting defensive. What people who make those kinds of blanket statements don't seem to realize is that people are individuals and watch or don't watch a show for their own reasons. There are people who are still watching the show even though they think it's been ruined because they still have hope that perhaps it will turn around. There are those who actually don't watch the show anymore but still want to discuss what the show has become because they loved what the show WAS. And there are many many more reasons why people who don't like the show anymore want to discuss it. I wouldn't presume to know them all. As long as people follow forum rules they are welcome to post here with their opinions, be they positive or negative.

And as far as forum rules go this thread is skating a fine line. By saying that you're sick of negative threads you're in essence saying that you're sick of the people who start them which is getting personal. Since it's such a gray area and I'm unsure about it I am letting it stay but I just want to remind people to keep the discussion about negativity towards the show in general and not about the people who make negative remarks.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                      What Shadow said.

In my case, and as I said in my post, or at least I tried to say it... I don't wan't to read only about how perfect an episode or character is.

I enjoy reading different comments, what worked for some people, what didn't work for other people. For example, I absolutely loved the flashbacks in both SGA and SG-1 and I hope we see more. Others hated those flashbacks, but still like the show overall.

It's great to read that kind of discussions.

What I'm tired of is posts saying that the show went down the hill, that the last <insert a number here> sesons sucked, etc, etc.

See a difference?

One thing is to dislike certain episode, or certain aspects of some episodes (i.e.: the flashbacks), and as long as those opinions are stated in a constructive way, or at least in a not plain mean way, they're very welcome (for example, I don't mind someone saying "I didn't like the flashbacks because..." or "the flashback thing didn't work for me because...". I do mind reading something like "the flashbacks sucked". Hey, share your opinion, but not state it as a fact of life).

And just reading things like "the show should've ended", "it's the worst season ever", etc, etc... Well, THAT is what I think all of us who say they find negative posts/threads annoying are talking about.

Tired of good discussions? No.

Tired of posts whose whole purpose is saying the show is crap? Yes

I sincerely hope I managed to point out the difference.
                      Last edited by lily; 31 July 2005, 08:17 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                        (raises her hand)

I'm sick of negative threads and I'm also sick of people who start the threads and post negative comments about the ACTORS and not the characters. We're here, hopefully, because we have a common interest, SG-1 and SGA. If you don't have anything nice to say, why say anything at all? However, (gulp), as this is a Forum, everyone has the right to their opinion, as long as they don't step over the bounds. So I don't see how we can keep this Forum and state, "NO Negative Threads". It would go against everything this place is supposed to be about....namely free expression. I know it doesn't always feel "free", but it's the best on the net, so let's just try and keep it fair and reasonable.

If you are "sick" of negative threads, just stay away from them. I've learned my lesson (the hard way, of course), and now ignore the threads and several of the people who seem to revel in making constant negative comments.
                        Have a great day and as always, this is just my opinion!
                        I agree with you. And there are people who love to stir up our blood pressure. It is best (but hard sometimes) to ignore such ones because for one thing they're so insistant on being nasty and malicious with their 'critiques', you can't really reason with them. You will only end up with a migraine.

Comment

Originally posted by GateMan2000
                          My "opinion" is, if you are so anti S9, anti Browder/Black or one who can't "live without RDA" and the show just "isn't the same" for you, then its time to move on and stop watching the show. Because i doubt things are going to change from their complaining. And TPTB really doesn't care what the ranters think.
                          Stop making sense! That's not permitted! ::: za'ats you :::

No, seriously, excellent point.

I really have no problem with people who criticize a show, an episode, a character arc, or a character. They certainly have a right to their opinion. Most people have some sort of balance in their criticism/dislike and their appreciation/like.

What I do have a problem with is the people whose negativity is all they have left to share about a show. I'm talking about people who clearly have no liking of the show anymore. They substitute what was once their delight in the show with their delight in bashing the show, or bashing fans who still like the show. It totally baffles me why they would spend their time watching a show they hate and in a fandom for a show they hate. But they do. All their fun, that once came from watching a show and participating in its fandom, has gotten all twisted and they're now having fun hating something they once loved.

<snipped>
                          Last edited by Shipperahoy; 31 July 2005, 08:32 AM. Reason: See my post re: not making it personal
                          ~*~*~*~*~*
                          not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Originally posted by GateTraveler
                            I don't think anyone expects to read nothing but positive posts. I'm sure even tptb who read the forums want to see both what people liked and what they didn't. As long as it is done in a constructive manner there is no problem. As I have said many times, constructive criticism is good and helps the show get better.
                            Ah good point! If TPTB are truly lurking the boards AND listen to fan comments to make the show better then constructive criticism always helps. Heck, when I dislike something I make sure to explain, in way too much detail, exactly what it is I dislike. The vague comment "This character sucks" doesn't really give people something to talk about except to add "You're right!" or "You're wrong!" However, if one posts "I don't like this aspect of a character, it should be handled more like this" then people have a bit more to grab onto and they can discuss whether they also think that aspect is a problem, maybe how they'd solve it, and maybe touch on the aspects of that character that they do like.

But all of the above can also be true for a positive comment; "OMG that episode was great!" doesn't provide as much discussion meat as "Wow, I really like where they're going with x character and I thought the x plot line was put together really well."

The solution? Write longer posts. The GW servers can handle it...I think...

Comment

This is a discussion board. Not the Thumper Rabbit School of Stargate. Bashing actors is already not allowed here. Saying whatever you want about the show or the characters should be allowed. I happen to like the current season. But, I have no problem with anyone who thinks these are the worst episodes ever. And, they don't have to justify their opinion, they don't make my opinion any different, they don't make me feel bad, and if they want to watch the show to just complain, they have every right to do so. If they want to complain without watching the show they have every right to do so. And, if I knew there was a thread that had a negative opinion about something I like, I just wouldn't go in it. I'd post my thoughts on the show not why so and so shouldn't be posting this and that. At least negative threads actually discuss Stargate, whether anyone likes what they say about Stargate.

I meant to just leave my first post at that, but I've never been able to keep my mouth shut.
                              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                                That's the kind of opinion that tends to put people at odds with each other. If I had a nickel for every time I've read someone post something along those lines as the "solution" for people who are unhappy with the show I'd be Scrooge Mc-freaking-Duck by now.

What people who make those kinds of blanket statements don't seem to realize is that people are individuals and watch or don't watch a show for their own reasons. There are people who are still watching the show even though they think it's been ruined because they still have hope that perhaps it will turn around. There are those who actually don't watch the show anymore but still want to discuss what the show has become because they loved what the show WAS.
                                That's all well and good but try reading some of these posts. If someone says something like "The show is rubbish and has been since for years. They haven't made a single decent episode since S5?" Don't you think it is only natural for someone to want to know why they are still watching or why they feel the need to keep insulting the show for years?? To me this is a natural and legitimate question. I find it very strange and I am still curious as to why someone would put themselves through that kind of torture. Regardless, I think any self-respecting SG1 fan would take offense to such a post.

Comment

Working...
                                X