Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tired of bad sexual references on Stargate?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I have to disagree with this thread. One of the favorite S9 quotes is "lets make babies" by vala. I think it is the fact that it is coming from her is what makes it funny though.

Comment

Originally posted by briguy213
      I think I have to disagree with this thread. One of the favorite S9 quotes is "lets make babies" by vala. I think it is the fact that it is coming from her is what makes it funny though.
      Exactly! It makes me ROTFLOL every time I'm watching Avalon pt. 1, and I've seen it already 5 or 6 times...

Comment

snipped personal comments
        Last edited by Skydiver; 27 July 2005, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Let's make babies is not even close to something like
          ". . . this dissapointed since Daniel and I had sex."
          It is not bad (in my opinion).
          Maybe somepeople disagree.
          13!!RED thinggies and counting . . . FUN!

okay now I do not actually want red thinggies but for some reason people like to give them to me . . .
          some people multiple times!;-)

Comment

snipped personal comments

Debate the topic, not the poster. and as a refresher the topic is 'tired of bad sexual references on Stargate?
            Last edited by Skydiver; 27 July 2005, 07:15 AM.

okay now I do not actually want red thinggies but for some reason people like to give them to me . . .

Comment

You are correct Onlybluesocks.....that remark was uncalled for and should have been PM'd. Now, guess who will be closing this thread?
              On fighting:
              Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
              Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

It's good that there are characters who are comfortable with their sexuality on the show, especially female characters who aren't going to be immediately written off as whores or whatever. You might not like Vala as a character, but at least not everyone is the exact same - like some kind of timid AU Carter from Moebius.

The show has used sexual innuendo on a number of occassions going back as far as the show has run. Anyone remember Hathor? Or Sha're's 'implantation' in Children of the Gods?

And personally I loved the scene in Birthright when Daniel, Jack and Teal'c are talking about how the Amazonians used to capture men in order to mate with them.

Comment

Excellent points NotANumber!

Amazing, you have sex, in some form in a title of thread, it gets to be a very "hot" thread!
                  On fighting:

Comment

I for one am tired of them. Especially the ones coming from Vala. They're way to blatant and out there, although in episode two of S9, it was toned down a bit. The Sam/Pete and Jack/Kerry in bed bits were even more than I really wanted to see, but not totally out of character for SG-1 (remember Broca Divide/Brief Candle/Hathor), so those didn't bother me quite as much as the Vala stuff does.

And I don't think I'm a prude. I watch BSG (and while I could do without some of the sexual references, it does seem to serve the plot, so I'm not going to complain about it). But that's a different show. It's gritty, it's darker and it's not out of the ordinary for them to do that, plus it's generally not meant to be "funny" when it's used and generally consequences follow.

But for SG-1 it is out of the ordinary. It's not what we've come to expect from the show. So when it happens and especially when it's as in your face as Vala is it can be rather disconcerting.

I do think it has a lot to do with the type of audience SciFi is trying to attract now. They seem to be catering to the SPIKE TV crowd, thing is we already have SPIKE TV. We don't really need another one.
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree with Katg and she/he is much more eloquent then me.

Comment

Originally posted by NotANumber
                        Or Sha're's 'implantation' in Children of the Gods?
                        COTG was Rated 18 in the UK
                        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                        love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                          I for one am tired of them. Especially the ones coming from Vala. They're way to blatant and out there, although in episode two of S9, it was toned down a bit. The Sam/Pete and Jack/Kerry in bed bits were even more than I really wanted to see, but not totally out of character for SG-1 (remember Broca Divide/Brief Candle/Hathor), so those didn't bother me quite as much as the Vala stuff does.

And I don't think I'm a prude. I watch BSG (and while I could do without some of the sexual references, it does seem to serve the plot, so I'm not going to complain about it). But that's a different show. It's gritty, it's darker and it's not out of the ordinary for them to do that, plus it's generally not meant to be "funny" when it's used and generally consequences follow.

But for SG-1 it is out of the ordinary. It's not what we've come to expect from the show. So when it happens and especially when it's as in your face as Vala is it can be rather disconcerting.

I do think it has a lot to do with the type of audience SciFi is trying to attract now. They seem to be catering to the SPIKE TV crowd, thing is we already have SPIKE TV. We don't really need another one.
                          Sorry but could you please explain, a bit more fully, why it's OK for BSG to have "blatant" sexual references, almost constantly, but it's not ok for SG-1? Because BSG is a "darker" show? Give me a break.

As for Sciffy trying to attract a new audience? It's the same audience that they've already had.

I'm sorry, but I've seen more cleavage and sexual references in Desperate Housewives ( which I don't watch) and MANY other network shows, esp. the daytime soaps, than I have seen on SG-1.

OK, enough with this topic (for me), we're going in circles. Everyone has their own opinion, which is fine, just as long as no one's toes get stepped on.
                          On fighting:

Comment

Lida is so nice to everyone . . .

but I still want to read what people have to say.

Stargate is not Desperate Housewives, or a soap. It is an adventure story. Desperate housewives is about desperate housewives, not intergalactic (somewhat) explorers.

Those shows have been really bad from the beginning. Stargate has had sexual references before, but less like well now. (or Avalon I)

Comment

Personally I thinik it's complete hypocrisy for someone to complain about sex on the show but not the violence.

Comment

The recent sexual innuendo hasn't really bothered me much. I can live with it, even though I feel in some small way it cheapens SG1. The only time it really bothered me was whilst watching Avalon 1 with my kids, and Vala's "....since Daniel and I had sex.". Not since COTG did I feel uncomfortable with my kids watching it. (btw I missed the fact that COTG was R-18, and oblivious to that fact, had an embarrasing situation with the kids watching it.)

Comment

Working...
                                X