This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zat gun disintegration question...

How big an object can a zat gun disintegrate? Just wondering, because I don't remember them saying...
    sigpic
    Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

I don't think it's ever been explained. I also get the impression that it's something the writers would like us all to forget.

Comment

Yes - Zats no longer disintegrate stuff seems the writers changed their minds
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
        Yes - Zats no longer disintegrate stuff seems the writers changed their minds
        Lol, thought so, they kinda stopped using it after Window of Oppertunity.
        sigpic

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Maybe the Goauld un-upgraded the zats.
          Daniel: Their whole world is in flames, and we're offering gasoline.
          Teal'c: We are, in fact, offering water.
          Daniel: I was speaking metaphorically.
          Jack: Well don't, it's not fair to Teal'c.

Comment

well the biggest thing Ive seen that was desintegrated was in that 1969 episode where Jack desintigrates that big box full of SGC stuff

Heru'ur is a God, he will rise and take revenge

Comment

Well, seeing as the Zat use the pulsing energy which will expand away from a source and disapate, and the pulsing energy seems to disapate after a meter to two meters, possibly three, I would say nothing larger than that. We know that Zats disintegrate in discrete units of matter, so it won't disintegrate a whole in the floor, so say you shot it at a Ha'tak three times, I would expect the energy to pulse and disapate, and have no effect on the ship whatsoever, except possibly damaging electrical or computer equipment.

I would have to say anywhere from one to two cubic meters of matter, two is on the high side, that may even be doubtful.

Owen Macri
              Last edited by _Owen_; 20 July 2005, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Ive read in the stargate offisial magazine/DVD collection thing that the Zat weapon increases the heat of matter dramaticly, so after 3 shots, the matter is so hot it desintigrates!

I need to read up on it again!

Comment

Right, if the matter was to heat up that far chances are in an oxygen rich environment, that it would catch on fire, and with incredible heat you would think the recipients of the blast would have scarring and burns on them, as well you would think they would react to it like heat not like a shock to the nervous system. It seems to inflict great pain but not through heat.

Also if the matter where to heat up until it desintegrated it would have to catch on fire, burn and you would end up with a pile of ash, not nothing like you really end up with.

Unless the matter were to be converted directly to a gas, through the process of sublimation. In this process the boiling point of the matter needs to be below the melting point. However this is not the case with humans, or other matter like a box. The process of sublimation is displayed and can be observed in dry ice. As well, if the matter were to sublimate it would still apear diffrently than we see it with the Zat. Not to mention the fact it is physically impossible unless the properties of the matter were changed therfore altering the matter itself.

Owen Macri

Comment

I'll re-read the magazine tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by Heru'urs_first_prime
                      I'll re-read the magazine tonight!

Ok. You are lucky, I want the Stargate Magazines.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                        Ok. You are lucky, I want the Stargate Magazines.

Owen Macri
                        wow, where do you live?

going back to the subject: couldn't you like destroy a building with a loooooads of zap guns? like, java surrounding a building and just firing at it?

if thats so......couldn't you desintigrate the iris? because 'lightning' isn't matter............hard matter

Comment

The omnipedia still says 3 shots will disintegrate
                          ZAT'NI'KATEL
                          A handheld Goa'uld weapon, formed in the shape of a coiled serpent. The zat'ni'katel was nicknamed "zat gun" by Colonel O'Neill. The zat uses a different form of energy, less powerful than that of a staff weapon. One shot will usually render a victim unconscious. Two shots will kill most subjects. Three shots disintegrate them.
                          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                            The omnipedia still says 3 shots will disintegrate
                            but only for people, it doesn't mention ......... matter (non-organic)
                            Last edited by Heru'urs_first_prime; 21 July 2005, 03:09 AM. Reason: I cheked the omnipedia myself

Comment

Originally posted by Heru'urs_first_prime
                              wow, where do you live?

going back to the subject: couldn't you like destroy a building with a loooooads of zap guns? like, java surrounding a building and just firing at it?

if thats so......couldn't you desintigrate the iris? because 'lightning' isn't matter............hard matter
                              If you can see it, it probably cant get through the iris.

and also (to take advantage of your typo, hehehe) I don't think cups of Coffee with zat guns are going to do much...
                              Last edited by Colonel Sharp; 21 July 2005, 09:36 AM.
                              sigpic

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Working...
                              X