This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by benmecha
    Hi Bambam (appropriate nickname, by the way )

Is the Browder swordfight going to be using a "real" (i.e. kenjutsu) or "hollywood" (i.e. anything else) style? As an SCA-dian, I take interest in such things .
    There are other styles that are derived from regions of the globe other than "hollywood". This particular fight, since you ask uses old broadsword style. You will have to watch to understand why...............................

Comment

Originally posted by Unamed
      Hey 2bam thanks for your time.

My question is what is it like working with the cast? What are they like in regard to the action scenes?
      The cast on SGA and on SG1 are both fantastic. That was more than one question, but I will continue...............Every actor is an individual. Some prefer to do everything themselves........others don't. It is my job to ensure that the action sequences look their best while at the same time keeping the actors safe and sound. All of our actors enjoy the rush of doing their own stunts as much as I do, but sometimes it is not safe enough to risk the well being of any actor.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BAM
        I would say the knife fight in The Eye, in addition to the Genii staff training sequence. I had limited access to the actors for rehearsal and in the knife fight, our lovely guest, Erin, had no prior training or fight experience. It was hard to pull off but it looks great!!
        The Genii training sequence in The Storm seemed a little bit off. How accurate was the end where the general trapped the Genii woman's hand between the sticks? I felt that was a little bit too fantastic; although, I'm certainly not an expert in that type of MA.

BTW. So you doubled for Ice T?!?! LOL I can see David Duchovny, Jerry O'Connell, or Chris Gorham... but Ice T? I'm sorry for laughing, but i don't think you look alike. Nice job scoring that opportunity, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
          Hi BamBam

Thanks for taking the time to respond to questions here, I've been enjoying reading all your answers. The stunts last season on Atlantis looked great and I really liked the Siege Part 2 bit with you in (hoping you might make another cameo next season )

My question is, how did you get interested and started in martial arts?
          The answer is...................Bruce Lee. One of my uncles took me to an old drive-in theatre when I was 10 years of age. This particular theatre happened to be playing "Enter the Dragon". I flipped out, and started training in both Karate, and Tae Kwon Do with two of my uncles, at home. When I was 12 years of age, I had the choice of starting to play football, or getting Karate lessons for my Birthday. I sprained my ankle playing basketball during lunch hour at school and could not run that well. Well............................I took the Karate lessons. The dojo(school) became my home away from home. My sensei(instructor), invited masters of other styles to train at the dojo, and that is when I started also training in Kali and Balintawak Eskrima. Since then, I have studied many styles for interest sake, and to broaden my base of knowledge. I try to keep an open mind when it comes to martial arts, but I have my personal opinions as well. I tend to lean towards the practical side of things, for the most part. Unless the character is some sort of comic book hero, I leave acrobatics out of my choreography. I have competed in the ring in full contact/kickboxing and been around the real world long enough to know that if someone attempted to throw a back flip in the middle of a fight with me...........................well............point made.
          Last edited by 2BAM; 21 May 2005, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blueguy w/thehand
            Thanks for the time. If this is a repeat sorry.

any really new things in sga s2?
            yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
              I'm trying my best to ask this with good intentions as I can't stand the posters who thinnly disguise rants and insults as questions, so here goes:

As someone who has been VERY happy to see a nifty and still practical martial art on the show, one thing has been bothering me (as a woman who has some martial arts experience): Teyla's training outfit. Is there going to be any change to that costume? (Don't know if you can actually answer that, but thought it was worth a shot, and again, this is not meant as an accusation/rant/insult/whatever. Keep up the fabulous work!)
              I understand what you are saying. This is meant to be an Athosian traditional training outfit. I have nothing to do with the design so I can only say that Rachel looks great in it! It is very easy to move in, but provides little or no protection for falls etc........so when you see Teyla hitting the cement in that outfit........she is really hitting the cement-no padding!! I am sure that Teyla has also brought with her more clothes to train in. Let's see what happens in Season 2. Thanx for watching, and for being honest........keep it up!

Comment

Hello, Mr Bamford!

It's excellent that you have decided to take the plunge and answer our sometimes insightful, occasionally irrelevant, and always enthusiastic questions. When you're done, I can reccomend an excellent electro-shock therapist.

My question fro you is thus; we know that Teyla can beat the stuffing out of Sheppard, and we've been told that Ronan Dex is a very skilled fighter and soldier. Will we be seeing Teyla and Ronan sparring, and if so, what will it be like (as in, super-fast, really brutal, really elefant, even-stevens, etc.)?

Yours in revelation,
                The White Knight

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7
                  Hi, Bambam. Thanks for taking time to answer our questions. Btw you do good work on the show. It's terrific.

I have a question about Joe Flanigan. I know he's very athletic. How is he to work with? What he's done so far looks great. Love the dive over the railing in STORM and the roll at the end of EYE and such. You seem to have created a Street fighter type of style for Sheppard.
                  You are correct in the style choice, although Shep has been doing some training with Teyla as well, as you know. Yes, Joe is very athletic and that dive he did without a double at all. He has a trainer in the off season and spends alot of his time working out to stay in shape. Joe showed up for Season 2 with some new muscles, I think! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by AncientGateAngel
                    I don't really have a question. I just wanted to say thanks to you and all the others associated with both SG1 and Atlantis for taking the time out of their schedules to come on the board and share insights and answer questions. I think that it is great that all you guys care so much about the fans that you are willing to do this. We really appreciate it!

We love the shows. Keep up the good work. I want to see many more seasons of both shows! Much love and respect to you all.
                    Thanx sooooooooooooooooo much for watching!! All of us appreciate it more than you will ever know! Thank you as well, for your positive feedback and compliments. We like those! We will all strive to give you more of the same, but always striving to do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord You
                      The Genii training sequence in The Storm seemed a little bit off. How accurate was the end where the general trapped the Genii woman's hand between the sticks? I felt that was a little bit too fantastic; although, I'm certainly not an expert in that type of MA.

BTW. So you doubled for Ice T?!?! LOL I can see David Duchovny, Jerry O'Connell, or Chris Gorham... but Ice T? I'm sorry for laughing, but i don't think you look alike. Nice job scoring that opportunity, though.
                      Ya, I know. I don't look anything like Ice-T!! I use to double for Bra'tac as well!! Sometimes the stunt coordinator can't find the perfect physical double for the actor, so he has to go with the next closest thing. Sometimes the next closest thing is really far off, but has the skills required to get the job done. The Ice-T thing required alot of make-up, and I didn't even really make the final cut because they just used the footage from the actor himself. He didn't really need a double that day anyway. That is just my opinion. A very nice man though. The accuracy of the hand trap is technically correct. The timing is off on the fight a bit so it does not sell as well, but it is correct. To test it, take two staffs, two inches in diameter, and get your best friend to squeeze your hand between them..................no, don't try this at home. It works, trust me on this, it works and is very painful. LOL! Good eye!

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight
                        Hello, Mr Bamford!

It's excellent that you have decided to take the plunge and answer our sometimes insightful, occasionally irrelevant, and always enthusiastic questions. When you're done, I can reccomend an excellent electro-shock therapist.

My question fro you is thus; we know that Teyla can beat the stuffing out of Sheppard, and we've been told that Ronan Dex is a very skilled fighter and soldier. Will we be seeing Teyla and Ronan sparring, and if so, what will it be like (as in, super-fast, really brutal, really elefant, even-stevens, etc.)?

Yours in revelation,
                        The White Knight
                        I would love to be able to answer that, but if I did it would give away too much. Know this..............you be able to see a comparison between the 2 styles of Teyla and Ronon. In what context, or venue, I can't say at this point. Sorry for being so vague, but................you know the rules. Thanx for the interest though!

Comment

Hey James, Thank You for your time.
                          I had the honor to work around you on the TV Show The Sentinel way back in 1999, You played "Nick Ray", fun time, cool show Nice to see your still working and doing some kick but work, and I have to thank you, you were very sweet to work around I was a kinda green SAG member, but everyone was cool

My question is, I want to change my body type and was thinking of going from the weights and treadmill to something like kickboxing, for the leaner muscle, is there any type of martial arts that would help in that?

Thank You in advance

Check out an excerpt of my SG-1 book on my blog..http://saqqarasblog.blogspot.com/
                          http://www.atlantissgc.org/saqqara

Comment

Originally posted by Saqqara
                            Hey James, Thank You for your time.
                            I had the honor to work around you on the TV Show The Sentinel way back in 1999, You played "Nick Ray", fun time, cool show Nice to see your still working and doing some kick but work, and I have to thank you, you were very sweet to work around I was a kinda green SAG member, but everyone was cool

My question is, I want to change my body type and was thinking of going from the weights and treadmill to something like kickboxing, for the leaner muscle, is there any type of martial arts that would help in that?

Thank You in advance
                            Many of the martial arts would help in that respect, with regular training of course. Kickboxing, Submission wrestling, many styles of Kung Fu..................any form of training will give you that lean body you are looking for as long as you don't eat a pizza every 15 minutes! LOL!! But seriously, it seems that you live in California. Did you ever live in Vancouver? I hope that I can work with you again soon. Cali has a huge amount of martial arts schools, and different styles. You must visit many different schools and actually watch a class to find out which one is the right one for you. I wish you well, and look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2BAM
                              Many of the martial arts would help in that respect, with regular training of course. Kickboxing, Submission wrestling, many styles of Kung Fu..................any form of training will give you that lean body you are looking for as long as you don't eat a pizza every 15 minutes! LOL!! But seriously, it seems that you live in California. Did you ever live in Vancouver? I hope that I can work with you again soon. Cali has a huge amount of martial arts schools, and different styles. You must visit many different schools and actually watch a class to find out which one is the right one for you. I wish you well, and look forward to seeing you again soon!!
                              Oh no hun I would just LOVE to live in Vancouver it is beautiful, I have been lucky to get to go up there to visit friends and work, there is a Noodle place I am just in love with up there but not much anymore, I would love to work with you again you are very sweet.

I live in San Diego now and there are lots of dojos here, So what would be some of the things one would look for or is it ok to tell the Sensi what I'm looking for and if his class is right?

Pizza, what's that I haven't had a pizza in years, I'm more of a vegetarian..LOL

Check out an excerpt of my SG-1 book on my blog..http://saqqarasblog.blogspot.com/
                              http://www.atlantissgc.org/saqqara

Comment

Originally posted by Saqqara
                                Oh no hun I would just LOVE to live in Vancouver it is beautiful, I have been lucky to get to go up there to visit friends and work, there is a Noodle place I am just in love with up there but not much anymore, I would love to work with you again you are very sweet.

I live in San Diego now and there are lots of dojos here, So what would be some of the things one would look for or is it ok to tell the Sensi what I'm looking for and if his class is right?

Pizza, what's that I haven't had a pizza in years, I'm more of a vegetarian..LOL
                                You can tell by watching the class if it is right for you. Look at all of the intermediate and advanced students.................are they in shape? Do they have the bodies that you are looking to have for yourself? If yes, then go for it!! I wish that I could remember you, that was a long time ago. What was the name of your character, and what scene were we in together? Was it by the docks, on the water?

Comment

Working...
                                X