• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Downslide
    MARTOUF
    Please, ah, tell me of Jolinar.
    CARTER
    I get the feeling you knew him way better than I ever did.
    MARTOUF
    I'm sure. For one thing, he was a she.

excerpted from The Tok'ra Part 1
    You stopped too soon:

MARTOUF
    Actually, that isn't accurate - the symbiote doesn't have a gender, however, Jolinar has always been in female hosts.
    Sentio Aliquos Togatos Contra Me Conspirare

Comment

Originally posted by Downslide
      SAROOSH
      I will die, Selmak will live on, you will take my place as host.
      JACOB
      Um, I don't understand.
      SAROOSH
      Selmak is a wonderful Tok'ra. She is selfless and caring, she is good company. She has a wonderful sense of humour.

-Excerpt from The Tok'ra, Part 2
      JACOB: Selmak really liked him.

CARTER: Selmak?!

JACOB: Yeah -- and he's a great judge of character.

CARTER: Well, OK!

-Excerpted from "Threads"

Comment

Originally posted by grendelsbayne
        You stopped too soon:

MARTOUF
        Actually, that isn't accurate - the symbiote doesn't have a gender, however, Jolinar has always been in female hosts.

Okay, there seems to be some confusion on this point, so I'm trying to write out what I know to find the answers. Jolinar's last host before Sam, was a man. This was the refugee Sam was performing CPR on when Jolinar blended with her out of desperation. Apparently the woman Martouf knew was the host before that, and something happened to her, so Jolinar was hiding inside that guy. This explains the above quote I think. Jolinar was missing for some time from the Tok'ra, presumably to escape the Ashrak, and as such Martouf had no idea that Jolinar had changed hosts.

Comment

i think the confusion here is occuring because the ideas of sex and gender are being confused. biologically symbiotes do not have a sex, they are all neuter. their gender however is chosen by them and they tend to choose hosts that reflect that. jolinar gender identified as female so generally chose female hosts. lantash gender identified as male so generally chose male hosts. their chosen gender is not permanent either as shown by Osiris who used to identify as male but chose to stay female. the big problem is that we are trying to apply human ideas and beliefs on an alien species with a totally alien physiology.

Comment

Originally posted by Macharius0
            Okay, there seems to be some confusion on this point, so I'm trying to write out what I know to find the answers. Jolinar's last host before Sam, was a man. This was the refugee Sam was performing CPR on when Jolinar blended with her out of desperation. Apparently the woman Martouf knew was the host before that, and something happened to her, so Jolinar was hiding inside that guy. This explains the above quote I think. Jolinar was missing for some time from the Tok'ra, presumably to escape the Ashrak, and as such Martouf had no idea that Jolinar had changed hosts.
            That's all true. Sam's next line is something like "Actually, the host I found her in was a man" and then Martouf is very surprised.

Comment

Working...
            X