This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bespectacled

I've thought about this a lot, being resigned to glasses/contacts myself, but I wonder if it's ever come up in the show?

One would think that if a character wore glasses, their loss or removal or destruction would essentially prove a severe handicap, right? (Depending on the person's level of near/far-sightedness, of course.) I mean, as humans, the most important of our five senses is sight, is it not?

Has there ever been an instance where Daniel's glasses played a part in his incapacitation? I know there have been episodes where he used his glasses to break the ice with a character ("Birthright"), or removed them to form connections of sameness. Suppose they broke--does he carry a spare pair?

Let's have a discussion on the advantages and disadvantages of being bespectacled (Daniel or otherwise) in such escapades as our heroes have experienced!

I can't think of a specific example but in terms of advantages of being bespectacled, there's got to be at least one alien race who's looked at Daniel and thought, "He looks clever, we'll talk about archaeology with him". I'd imagine so anyway.
    sum ergo cogitum
    I am therefore I think.

Comment

Part of the problem has been that they don't seem to have decided why Daniel needs glassess. Sometimes it seems as though he needs them to see in things in the distance, other times for close up stuff. And there are directors that hate the glassess so other times they're gone alltogether.

Judging by the amount of times Daniel takes his glassess off when he turns to talk to other people and puts them on to read things, I go with the idea that he only needs them for close up work.
      sigpic

Comment

I did notice that they aren't terribly consistent with his glasses. I wish they'd decide already. I think his glasses are a big part of his character. At least his on-the-surface character. I never thought about whose decision it was to take or leave the glasses, though. That sure makes for a confusing look, and accounts for why there aren't very many instances where his glasses come into play.

Comment

wasnt there an episode where he mentioned that he liked to wear glasses?? And why not just do the lazer eye surgery and then he wont have to deal with contacts or glasses at all
          "KEEP ON KEEPING ON"

Comment

I think that the wearing vs. not wearing the glasses in certain episodes is explained by his actions in the episode Summit (season 5). In that episode, Daniel is shown putting contacts in.

As far a him being near or far sighted, I'm not sure, they seem to be a little inconsistant in that manner. But perhaps his vision problem is so slight, that even when he has his glasses off, he still sees fairly well.
            No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Was it in "The Light" when Daniel was forced to be brought back to the planet to keep him from dieing? He went straight from the gurney, through the Stargate, and to the planet and when Gen. Hammond was asking him later if there was anything he needed, he said "glasses". That episode and then in the mentioned "Birthright" are the only episodes I can recall that he stated he needed them. Something else that I have seen discussed other places is with as many times as he has been in the sarcophagus, shouldn't his vision have been repaired by now? Hmmmm...
              Lexa

AWW Tartersauce! - Spongebob Squarepants

Comment

there are many things in the show that are inconsistent, but i still love it
                "KEEP ON KEEPING ON"

Comment

Just because someone wears glasses doesn't mean they have horrible eyesight. It could just be they have enough of a weakness to cause eyestrain and headaches but otherwise they can function pretty well without them. They aren't going to bump into walls or need to wander around falling into ditches. It's just going to cause them a little discomfort and make things a little less than crystal clear. It also depends on the amount of astigmatism he might have. Someone can have astigmatism that causes some problems without necessarily have a very strong basic prescription.

I'd say Daniel's eyesight isn't that bad in and of itself but it is more comfortable for him to wear glasses most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by KingKha
                    there are many things in the show that are inconsistent, but i still love it
                    Name but one

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
                      Name but one
                      glady, one example is what happens when you get shot with a Zat. how is it at times when anyone gets shot with a Zat they are stunned and they pretty much are knocked unconscous, but in "prodigy" after jack got shot he was able to get right back up and run around.
                      "KEEP ON KEEPING ON"

Comment

I don't know...there are some cases where it seems he really needs his glasses (Fallen for example). I'm biased cause I'm -900 in both eyes (really) and I can't read a book without my glasses or contacts if my nose is on the page. I also couldn't recognize my own father from more than a foot away...I'm blind without em. I don't think TPTB have ever used his glasses as a part of the plot...guess we're meant to assume his vision isn't too bad?

"I think that, to some degree, all of us are fractured souls. Cut in half. And we wander through life looking for the rest of ourselves. And sometimes we're fortunate enough to meet someone who possesses, in themselves, the part of ourselves that we've been missing. We may not realize it on a conscious level, but definitely on a subconscious level. We see in someone else... something of ourselves. Thats why sometimes you meet someone and you just immediately feel comfortable with them. You feel like you've known them all your life. The reason is that they're a part of you, and you're a part of them. You're soul mates. you... fit. And once you've fit together, nothing can pull you apart unless you let go."
                        ~Imzadi
                        describes Sam and Jack pretty well to me!

<dancing and chanting in my ceremonial BDUs>
                        Screw the regs! DOWN with ! He's no threat to O'Neill! Sam and Jack FOREVER!

Comment

Originally posted by Champos
                          I can't think of a specific example but in terms of advantages of being bespectacled, there's got to be at least one alien race who's looked at Daniel and thought, "He looks clever, we'll talk about archaeology with him". I'd imagine so anyway.
                          Yup, the Tau'ri

anywho, maybe he's long sighted in one eye, short sighted in the other, so it depends what side of something he's looking at as to weather he needs his glasses or not?

Either that or he just wears them with no lenses, just regular glass in order to pick up chicks?

Comment

Originally posted by KingKha
                            glady, one example is what happens when you get shot with a Zat. how is it at times when anyone gets shot with a Zat they are stunned and they pretty much are knocked unconscous, but in "prodigy" after jack got shot he was able to get right back up and run around.
                            Why do I ALWAYS have to explain this! Jack was prepared. He knew he was gonna get shot, he was pumping adrenaline. And then when he was shot, they used smelling salts to keep him conscious. Did you not notice how out of it he was when he got to the DHD?

Comment

Maybe you should start a thread off: Teal'cs SG-1 Knowledge and put all the constantly repeating things you say in there (such as (just kidding, love ya really))

Comment

Working...
                              X