This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SmartFox
    Do we know how wide the Stargate is? If its wide enough maybe expand the doors for the embarkation room so we can get some tanks through. I would like to see the looks on Jaffa's faces when faced with a couple of tanks that their staff blast glance off of.
    The gate is 20 feet in diameter (From the GateWorld Omnipedia - Under "Stargate"). Getting vehicles to the gate room would probably require reconfiguring large parts of the SGC to install an elevator, maintenance and storage areas for the vehicles. Not to mention, modifying the gate room to make it bigger and also the ramp to support the weight of the vehicles. Sounds like a great way to waste some tax dollars!

Comment

there is another way........ tip the gate on its side and lower them/put them on a converbelt down the stargate crane thing, we know it can handle the weight. once therre at the alpha site the cna go from there.
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      Stargate : Genesis |
      Original Starship DesignThread
      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
      11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
        there is another way........ tip the gate on its side and lower them/put them on a converbelt down the stargate crane thing, we know it can handle the weight. once therre at the alpha site the cna go from there.
        But what happens on the other side when the gate is upright? The vehicles would fall over on their side (hopefully landing upright. But even still, that would damage vehicles when they fall over anyway).

A good idea though.

Comment

no because the way it goes in is how it comes out, think about it, if you lower a tank in barrel first, the barrel will be first our the other side;
          \/
          \/
          \/
          _
          (_) - stargate

\/
          \/
          \/

\/ = tank

crap i know.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          11000! green me

Comment

to clarify, the way we put it in our end wont change how i come out on the other.
            sigpic
            11000! green me

Comment

Okies....

Then i guess Gate Orientation (horizontal, or vertical) doesn't really matter then?

Comment

so we could see the jaffa, see a tank, wait a minute, y are we trying to kill the jaffa! there our allies now, hmmm who can we kill!
                sigpic
                11000! green me

Comment

Tanks are big targets, and are steel coffins for the crews inside without aircover and supporting infantry squads. These are built for Spec-For units.

Source: http://www.chenowth.com/

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
                  - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

Ask bungee to give them plans to the Warthogs from Halo.

Comment

Geez, yes let’s not introduce a couple of vehicles with one or two cylinder engines to another planet we’ll probably only visit once. It will destroy the entire planet’s ecosystem at one fell swoop. The horror.

Yeah, I don’t see why (if events depicted in the show were actually real ) the military wouldn’t use motorcycles or ATVs to scout planets considering that they already do use them in real world situations today.

The U.S. military uses ATVs in Afghanistan. And there is a new diesel/JP8 powered motorcycle specially designed for the U.S. Marine Corps and Army. And look! It even runs on 100% Bio-diesel!
                      Originally posted by Seastallion
                      So... If you could choose... what ride would you choose for SG teams?
                      An ATV or the motorcycle mentioned above. The dirt bike gets about 95 mpg and has a 408-mile range at 55 mph. I don’t plan on running out of gas and walking back to the gate.

btw there was already a similar thread on this topic.
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

I dunno about those ATVs. What kind of response time does the user have when contact is intiated by the enemy?

It is usually the first few moments of battle that decide who's gonna win. You fix and suppress the enemy first you can flanks them first.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"

Comment

Originally posted by Panther
                          I dunno about those ATVs. What kind of response time does the user have when contact is intiated by the enemy?
                          Well considering the U.S. military already uses them, I’m sure they already having training and protocol for that. Plus they aren’t that hard to stop and then ready your weapon. You’re not going to be riding them into densely vegetated areas with tall brush anyway where the enemy is just going to pop out at you all of a sudden unless they are all each nicely hidden behind a tree waiting for us to come along. I would hope our guys are trained well enough to spot them before they spot us from a distance. Besides you can just dismount and use the ATV for cover. Jaffa aren’t that great a shot anyhow. So hopefully they will miss the gas tank.

But……they usually send a UAV through the gate first anyhow when it doesn’t look like any activity around the gate. So surely they would spot any Jaffa activity using that first before sending a team through the gate. I’m talking about using ATVs on planets that look to be uninhabited anyhow and not taking them to ones we know we might come up against somebody, but even so they are a heck of a lot faster than having to hoof it out of there with an enemy on your tail.
                          IMO always implied.

Comment

Yes, valid points. I've read a hunting story of a coupla mates who went out pig hunting and at one point one guy managed to nail a boar running full pelt across his sights, and stopping his ATV all in one motion. That however is hunting, and I've yet to meet a boar who can shoot back.

Secondly, I do believe the US military is using them because they are cheaper to run than a full size vehicle. Besides, they don't carry any extra firepower on them.

unless they are all each nicely hidden behind a tree waiting for us to come along
                            But if you've got proper patrol security and your on foot, you can set up your own little nasty surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther
                              Secondly, I do believe the US military is using them because they are cheaper to run than a full size vehicle. Besides, they don't carry any extra firepower on them.
                              They use them for patrol and scouting. Not to go into full out and out battle in. I'd think a smaller vehicle would be harder for the enemy to spot. But then again, I'm not in the military so I'm just guessing that there would be a time and place that a smaller vehicle would be advantageous, hence the article I cited above about their use in Afghanistan.
                              But if you've got proper patrol security and your on foot, you can set up your own little nasty surprise.
                              Hence my point about spotting them from a distance. (And remember I'm referring to the enemies on the show cause they aren't the brightest. Real life is a whole different story.)

You spot them, stash the vehicles, set the ambush.

About them not being heavily armed. Well going in on foot is not being very heavily armed either. Don’t think you’re going to be toting in a .50 cal by slinging it on your back. But you can strap a couple of shoulder fire missiles, a SAW or two, etc. along with all your other gear to the racks and off you go.
                              Last edited by LoneStar1836; 17 April 2005, 11:47 PM.
                              IMO always implied.

Comment

True, Afghanistan is a good place to use them with it's open terrain. I know our SASR is using convoys of LRPVs, LRSVs, Motorbikes, ATVs, and to supply them all a Unimog truck. In that context I agree. However, the SG teams seem to run into a few fights and some at close range, so that's why the Chenwths I think are better. They can pack two forward firing MGs, plus a weapon on a pintlemount, anything from a GPMG right up to a TOW missile. That much firepower is bloody well awesome. Seeing as you can fit three people inside it would follow probably, that since SG recon teams are about 4 men (sorry but have to say too small, at least 5 is better), you can have one on ATV or bike and the rest in the car.

Comment

Working...
                                X