This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do they call it a Staff Weapon?

Well, why? Why don't they have some Gou'uldish name, like the Zat'Nik'Ta (sp?)?

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
    The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Probably because "shaft weapon" wasn't too appealing..

Comment

Umm

I don't know how to respond to that.

On topic, the zatinakel ( sorry, forgot how to spell it ) in many semitic languages, like hebrew and arabic, in some form or another, means that which kills. Or something along those lines. I never heard it in conversation in arabic, so I am not certain,

Comment

Because the word staff also means a large stick or cane used in walking/hiking. The staff weapon fits that description.

Comment

Because it's a weapon carried by the god's staff.

Or because it is a staff which is also a weapon.

staff:
          n. pl. staffs or staves
          a. A stick or cane carried as an aid in walking or climbing.
          b. A stout stick used as a weapon; a cudgel.
          *snip*
          d. A rod or baton carried as a symbol of authority.

Not everything has to have a fancy alien name. Sometimes even the aliens call something what it is.

Comment

Glad you could join us today Shadow. *hugs*

Comment

Well, it is a Staff, and a weapon (very cool one too!) and ... *blinks* I got nothin'.
              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                d. A rod or baton carried as a symbol of authority.

Not everything has to have a fancy alien name. Sometimes even the aliens call something what it is.

That is most likly the case, as the staff weapon was meant to be a weapon that shows athority/scare the crap out of you, niot a terribly good(As the jaffa cant hit the floor with them things) weapon to aim with.

Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
                McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

Originally posted by ./freelancer
                  Well, why? Why don't they have some Gou'uldish name, like the Zat'Nik'Ta (sp?)?
                  There is actually another thread that talks about that very thing. Here is the url:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=9781

We never really figured it out on that thread either.
                  Zelazny, FBI~Undercover Division

Comment

Not to sound rude, but I felt this was one of those self-explanatory sorts of things. I'm shocked to see so many posts on such a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Oma Desala
                      Not to sound rude, but I felt this was one of those self-explanatory sorts of things. I'm shocked to see so many posts on such a thing.
                      I'll politely disagree and say I don't think it is self-explanatory. At least, not the question of why such a simple describatory name for the staff weapon, while we have Zat'nik'tel(does anyone really know the right spelling of that?) and that weird name for those motion detector gun things in the ep Deadman Switch--I remember Teal'c telling Jack the name and it being some crazy sounding thing like for the zats... Yes, it is a staff and it is a weapon... I mean, what is "staff" in the Goa'uld language and what is "weapon" in the Goa'uld language? Why such a simple name when the other weapons are so complicated? Just thought of the ring devices, do they have a Goa'uld name? Even though they aren't Goa'uld tech... Just curious on that one too...

Just my thoughts.
                      Zelazny, FBI~Undercover Division

Comment

Originally posted by Tain
                        Probably because "shaft weapon" wasn't too appealing..
                        LOL You made me spit out my drink.
                        If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Comment

that is a good question it is like death glider, i know they are self explanitory names but shouldnt they be in goa'uld like zat'nikitel or ha'tak or al'kesh, why would the goa'uld name some of there technology in goa'uld and some in english, i dont know maybe the writers just got bored and decided to throw in some cool english names as well, everyone remembers death glider and even if you arnt familiar with stargate it is a cool name

EDIT: The word you are thinking of is Tacluchnatagamuntorons or Tacs

Comment

They're Staffs....and theyre Weapons.

Although they are called Blast Lances in the BMC Universe!
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                              They're Staffs....and theyre Weapons.

Although they are called Blast Lances in the BMC Universe!
                              But they don't call the Zats "stun gund", although they stun and they're guns.. Oh well, maybe I should just except it..

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                              The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Working...
                              X