This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puddle Jumper Hyperdrive

Since the ancients were so advanced that they put DHDs and weapons and who knows whatever else is in there, why didn't they put hyperdrives. If for no other reason, than to travel the distance between stargates. There are probably dozens of reasons for war, convenience, maintenance (of ancient satellites) to have a hyperdrive in the ship. They are probably advanced enough to easily add that capability in addition to the puddle jumping

OR, did they add it and we just haven't figured that out yet and someone only has to realize it is there and activate it.

Originally posted by martyarizona
    Since the ancients were so advanced that they put DHDs and weapons and who knows whatever else is in there, why didn't they put hyperdrives. If for no other reason, than to travel the distance between stargates. There are probably dozens of reasons for war, convenience, maintenance (of ancient satellites) to have a hyperdrive in the ship. They are probably advanced enough to easily add that capability in addition to the puddle jumping

OR, did they add it and we just haven't figured that out yet and someone only has to realize it is there and activate it.
    well they wouldnt need a hyperdrive to go between stargates since they would just dial the gate and go through. we know they did have ships that had to have had hyperdrive because they traveled between stars without going through the gate, but a hyperdrive on a PJ would be redundant since it is a ship designed specifically to go through the gate.

Comment

Puddlejumpers too small for the hyperdrive engines that the Ancients used?
      I know we have them on the 302's, but they utilize a Naquadria power source rather than a Naquada. Maybe the Ancients never discovered Naquadria?

Comment

since the PuddleJumper was specifically designed to to use the Stargate so a hyperdrive engine would have been pointless.

the PuddleJumper is designed to just carry people and is too small for long distance travel. using it to travel the distance between 2 worlds would not have only been very long, but also very uncomfortable so it wouldn't be suited for world to world travel without the use of a stargate

the ZPM is far supperior to Naquadriah so i don't think it had anything to do with that and considering how smart the Ancients are, i wouldn't be surprised if they would be able to make a hyperspace generator the size of the device in "before i sleep, "its good to be king" and "moebius" (won't say what it does but you should be able to figure it out)
        Last edited by SaberBlade; 22 March 2005, 09:38 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Maybe they have hyperdrive jumpers just like they have the
          Spoiler:
          "Special Jumper" like in "Before I sleep", It's good to be king" and "Moebius"

We just hevent found them yet. they're stashed somewhere on atlantis. Making a trip of 15h to the satellite seems a bit long(the air lock was specially designed for PJ's). So they just designed some of them to just go to satellites and other space objets for maintenance and such.
          Today Is Yesterdays Tomorrow

Comment

Yeah, a hyperdrive in a PJ would be pointless. It designed to go through the stargate, so there's no need for a hyperdrive. Though there are other types of ships we haven't found yet from "before I sleep"

Before you judge a person, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, not only will you be a mile away, you'll have their shoes.

Comment

Based on the dock mechanism on the satellite it would seem that the puddlejumpers are used for more then just going thru the gate. Maybe they are the ancient’s version of cars, sort of their local mode of transport… that’s a round about way to get to my point which is: that we’ve only seen one PJ version, maybe (like cars) they had many modifications and used them for different jobs. Long range with a hyper-drive, an under water version, time traveler….etc

Comment

My reasoning for the PJ's not having hyperdrives or powerful shields is that "the drama would be removed". McKay stranded in "Home" wouldn't be a problem. Siege wouldn't be a problem if there were shields. Giving a ship that's too powerful to the underdogs would just make the show pathetic.

Also if the PJ's had hyperdrives the Atlantis Expedition could just make hit and runs against all Wraith ships with no chance of being stopped.

Hopefully the PJ's have a hyperdrive, but it requires several security codes to activate and the Atlantis Expedition will never figure it out

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                  My reasoning for the PJ's not having hyperdrives or powerful shields is that "the drama would be removed". McKay stranded in "Home" wouldn't be a problem. Siege wouldn't be a problem if there were shields. Giving a ship that's too powerful to the underdogs would just make the show pathetic.

Also if the PJ's had hyperdrives the Atlantis Expedition could just make hit and runs against all Wraith ships with no chance of being stopped.

Hopefully the PJ's have a hyperdrive, but it requires several security codes to activate and the Atlantis Expedition will never figure it out
                  I was actually talking about the shield from....cant remember the episode...the one where they first discover the satellites. Did the wraith activate shields from the PJ or did the wraith bring a portable generator with them?

I personally think the PJ's are multi-purposed. It can fly through space, can fit through Gates, could possibily travel underwater (water tight bulkheads n stuff). It would make sense for it to have hyperdrive-if the ancients had a drive at a suitable size to fit into the jumper!
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                    I was actually talking about the shield from....cant remember the episode...the one where they first discover the satellites. Did the wraith activate shields from the PJ or did the wraith bring a portable generator with them?

I personally think the PJ's are multi-purposed. It can fly through space, can fit through Gates, could possibily travel underwater (water tight bulkheads n stuff). It would make sense for it to have hyperdrive-if the ancients had a drive at a suitable size to fit into the jumper!
                    the wraith activated the shield with the remote control device.

yes the PJ is a multi function ship, it can fly through space, maybe underwater, but those are only as a result of some of pegasus' gates being in space. we know the Ancients had ships with some kind of hyperdrive from "Before I sleep" the thing is it would make no sense to have the puddle jumpers have a hyperdrive. the PJ is a ship built specifically to travel using the stargate for worlds that the gate is in space. it is built to maximize the available space effeciently so that you can fit a whole ship through the gate. a hyper drive would be redundant and take up space. yes we used the PJ to travel all the way out to the satelite and it would have been a lot quicker with a hyperdrive, but chances are the ancients wouldnt have used a PJ for that kind of trip, we had to because all we have are PJ, but the ancients had other ships. the PJ has no need for a hyperdrive because it is not built and designed for subspace travel, it is built with the specific purpose of carrying people through stargates in space and down to the planet, and from the planets surface up to gates in space.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                      the wraith activated the shield with the remote control device.

yes the PJ is a multi function ship, it can fly through space, maybe underwater, but those are only as a result of some of pegasus' gates being in space. we know the Ancients had ships with some kind of hyperdrive from "Before I sleep" the thing is it would make no sense to have the puddle jumpers have a hyperdrive. the PJ is a ship built specifically to travel using the stargate for worlds that the gate is in space. it is built to maximize the available space effeciently so that you can fit a whole ship through the gate. a hyper drive would be redundant and take up space. yes we used the PJ to travel all the way out to the satelite and it would have been a lot quicker with a hyperdrive, but chances are the ancients wouldnt have used a PJ for that kind of trip, we had to because all we have are PJ, but the ancients had other ships. the PJ has no need for a hyperdrive because it is not built and designed for subspace travel, it is built with the specific purpose of carrying people through stargates in space and down to the planet, and from the planets surface up to gates in space.
                      I agree, the Ancients would've used other ships for tasks that required traveling in hyperspace. The PJ is probably the simplest and most modest of all the ships built by the Ancients. Sometime in future SG-1 or SGA episodes we should get to see a different kind of Ancient ship, I hope.
                      Spoiler:
                      Life isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs

Tt's not really a reason, its a cold fact. Just like the sarcophagus that gets delivered to the our front door in "Hathor" - mysteriously explodes? Or our Zat's no longer are used to their "potential" of - Stun, Kill, "Disintegrate". The DHD's that we do gain possession off seem to seemingly die out everytime we touch them

And the list goes on..

The point is, as you said, TPTB can't make us that powerful! Or we wouldnt have a show

Al

Comment

Working...
                        X