X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vfxsoup
    Hey all!

I'm the visual effects supervisor for Atlantis and wanted to invite you to post me comments on the show's effects.
    Just so we're on the same page about this, basicly you are letting us know that you will be wanting feedback, once the show actually airs. You are not asking for any pre-screening critiques, right?
    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

It's very sad that this thread went this way. It's pretty insulting too. I was hoping to gleem some useful insights from you guys in order to make the show better, but can see that certain members here are more interetsed in other things.

I'm sorry to have wasted my time and this forums time.

Mark Breakspear
      Visual Effects Supervisor
      Atlantis
      Please don't judge the hundreds of members here at Gateworld based on the inconsiderate ramblings of one poster. There are even hundreds (I'm sure) more "lurkers" who read here even though they don't post. It is so rare for fans to be able to hear from and talk directly to the behind-the-scenes folks, and it is VERY appreciated when someone takes the time out of their busy schedule to ask us our opinion.
      I am looking forward to seeing what you've put together for us!

-tera'ngan
      nuqDaq yuch Dapol

Comment

Welcome to Gateworld Mark! Apologies for the cautiousness of some but I have heard of a few fakes in other online fields.

Will get back to you on the FX once Atlantis airs over here

In the mean time see you around and good luck!
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I am very much looking forward to seeing the effects you guys do on Atlantis - I'm sure they'll be great! Also,knowing that someone close to the production of it will be reading our comments is cool, it sort of makes me want to watch it even more.
          "Out of the way it's a busy day, I've got things on my mind." --Pink Floyd

Comment

Looking forward to commenting on your work, i'm sure there won't be many cons(I suppose it's hopeless asking fans because we are all gonna think it's great) . Like what I've seen of the concept art can't wait for July

Comment

Thanks All!

I've been speaking with Brad about which behind the scenes set photos and visual effects shots to show in an up-coming interview with Gateworld and I can't decide!

So... what do you guys want to see?... let me know gang...

Mark Breakspear
              Atlantis

Comment

Well, personally, I like the little things that folks take for granted as being real before they do a double-take and realize it CAN'T be real. There's a two second shot of a critter at the beginning of Demons (I think) climbing over a boulder. He looks pretty normal until you realize he has six legs or so.

The shots inside Thor's ship when Sam is trying to come up with a dumb idea to rid them of the Replicators are lovely.

A few exploding spaceships never hurt either!
                Nmom
                sigpic

Comment

I don't think I've read enough about Atlantis to know what to ask for, but if there are any control panel-type things, those are usually fun. A nice shot of the Atlantis patch. Pics of the Wraith guns. Pics of David Hewlett. hehe, OK, I know he doesn't count as a prop or visual effect. Not in the traditional sense, anyway... *ahem*

A nice pic of one of the gates in orbit, maybe with a puddle jumper nearby.

I should probably check and see what pics are already available. Been a while since I looked.

Comment

I know we're all getting over excited at the prospect of a new Stargate show, but give us a chance to actually see an episode please Mr Visual FX Guy ...
                    Last edited by Galadriel Fefalas; 28 May 2004, 05:02 PM. Reason: speeling
                    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Comment

Thanks All!

I've been speaking with Brad about which behind the scenes set photos and visual effects shots to show in an up-coming interview with Gateworld and I can't decide!

Mark Breakspear
                      Atlantis
                      Spoilers Atlantis
                      Just a few suggestions:
                      • The Wraith hand device in action
                      • The puddle jumpers, both Atlantis' and the Wraith's equivalent, entering and exiting gates
                      • Some exterior shots of the Atlantis base, maybe the mat (sp?) paintings that will be used ( I assume)
                      • And lastly, the effect (if there is one) for when the wraiths are draining lifeforce

So in other words, more or less the shots that will become regular parts of the show. Since we are going to see them a lot anyway, may as well start now. We dont need to see the juicy stuff that will be unique for any certain ep, but rather shots that will become an old friend in the years to come like the whoosh of the SG-1 gate. Dont spoil us too much

Oh and thanks in advance for all the info you are going to give us in that interview. I am suffering from Stargate withdrawl, so I could definitely use the fix!

Comment

When Atlantis actually comes up, that probably happens in a S8 Stargate SG-1 ep right? Did you get to work on it at all??

Also, you know what would be REALLY cool....some cool Atlantis wallpapers from the vfx man himself. Unless you must have permission to put out new pictures or whatever, then dont get yourself in trouble

My resolution is 1024x768
                        "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Originally posted by petzke_42
                          Also, you know what would be REALLY cool....some cool Atlantis wallpapers from the vfx man himself. Unless you must have permission to put out new pictures or whatever, then dont get yourself in trouble
                          The standard promo pic of the gate in the water with the city in the bg is very cool, but it's used so much it kinda takes the edge off. I could go for some new wallpapers...

Comment

It's very sad that this thread went this way. It's pretty insulting too. I was hoping to gleem some useful insights from you guys in order to make the show better, but can see that certain members here are more interetsed in other things.

I'm sorry to have wasted my time and this forums time.

Mark Breakspear
                            Atlantis
                            I am very sorry the reaction you received to your post. I thought it was great that you wanted to solicit honest criticism, good or bad, from the fans. Thank you for the effort. Looking forward to Atlantis' premiere and will definitely check out your site. Thanks again!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zebrok
                              Spoilers Atlantis
                              Just a few suggestions:
                              • The Wraith hand device in action
                              • The puddle jumpers, both Atlantis' and the Wraith's equivalent, entering and exiting gates
                              • Some exterior shots of the Atlantis base, maybe the mat (sp?) paintings that will be used ( I assume)
                              • And lastly, the effect (if there is one) for when the wraiths are draining lifeforce

So in other words, more or less the shots that will become regular parts of the show. Since we are going to see them a lot anyway, may as well start now. We dont need to see the juicy stuff that will be unique for any certain ep, but rather shots that will become an old friend in the years to come like the whoosh of the SG-1 gate. Dont spoil us too much
                              I like these ideas. And I like the way they're described like "shots that will become and old friend in the years to come". very nice!
                              I was also wondering about the uniforms. From the pictures I've seen, they seem to be a little dodgy. To be fair though, i've only seen some of the promo pics.
                              The large panels of colour on the front (they're a kind of triangle shape) take away from the idea of camoflage gear don't they? I mean, red or blue is going to stand out if the team have to quick duck behind a handy bush or something. meh. I'm staying open minded about all of it, but this in particular has got me stumped.

Comment

Originally posted by Jafana
                                I mean, red or blue is going to stand out if the team have to quick duck behind a handy bush or something. meh. I'm staying open minded about all of it, but this in particular has got me stumped.
                                Maybe the vegetation in this alien galaxy tends towards shades of red and blue, making the panels good for camoflage.

Comment

Working...
                                X